Per Adam Schefter: Cowboys likely to release Amari Cooper

Greg S

Adam Schefter on Twitter: "Cowboys are “likely” to release WR Amari Copper by the start of the new league year, per league sources. Cooper is due $20 million in fully guaranteed money on the fifth day of the new league year, March 20." / Twitter

Just now, SCBills said:

It just seems like that will happen, doesn’t it?

They have a lot of Cap space and Joe Douglas has already mentioned in the NY media the need to get Wilson some weapons on offense. So it wouldn't surprise me if they sign him.

7 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

2000 yards and 13 TDs in 2 years since get got paid really isn’t that bad. There are tons of contracts that have been way worse.

You can’t just look at stats.  And those stats are pretty meh for a WR making 20M per year……1000 yards and 6.5 TDs.  

Look at cap situation of the team that signed him.  They signed him before Dak, which cost the cowboys a ton of money.  Signing zeke may have been worse.  

the cowboys realize what a mistake it was….hence the cut and then taking on 6M In dead cap just to get rid of him 

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Somebody is going to spend a lot of money on a very overrated WR

I think you could be wrong on both counts.   

Overrated?  Guy's had five 100-yard seasons playing eight seasons for two dysfunctional franchises.  He has excellent speed, size, hands, and attitude.  He's a better, maybe much better version of Gabriel Davis.  I'd take Mike Evans over Cooper, but he's in that class.  

Spend a lot of money?   Well, we'll see.  As someone said, it seems there will be a lot of free agent receivers out there, so it may be that no one will be willing to write a big check.  We've seen it before, big-name free agents sitting out there for months after free agency begins.  

The Bills won't over pay for him, but who knows, Cooper may be one of those guys, like Sanders, who's looking to play with a great QB on a team that's not dysfunctional and that's serious about winning.  It's not hard to imagine a passing attack with Diggs, Davis, and Cooper, (letting both Sanders and Beasley go).  That's not that much different than Antonio Brown, Godwin, and Evans, minus the drama.   It's a receiving corps that gives a new offensive coordinator a lot of options. 

I don't expect Cooper in Buffalo, but every year Beane does things I don't expect.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Overrated?  Guy's had five 100-yard seasons playing eight seasons for two dysfunctional franchises.  He has excellent speed, size, hands, and attitude.  He's a better, maybe much better version of Gabriel Davis.  I'd take Mike Evans over Cooper, but he's in that class.  

Spend a lot of money?   Well, we'll see.  As someone said, it seems there will be a lot of free agent receivers out there, so it may be that no one will be willing to write a big check.  We've seen it before, big-name free agents sitting out there for months after free agency begins.  

The Bills won't over pay for him, but who knows, Cooper may be one of those guys, like Sanders, who's looking to play with a great QB on a team that's not dysfunctional and that's serious about winning.  It's not hard to imagine a passing attack with Diggs, Davis, and Cooper, (letting both Sanders and Beasley go).  That's not that much different than Antonio Brown, Godwin, and Evans, minus the drama.   It's a receiving corps that gives a new offensive coordinator a lot of options. 

I don't expect Cooper in Buffalo, but every year Beane does things I don't expect.  

If he’s willing to play for a normal contract/discounted contender contract, sure.  

I don’t see that mentality in him, but I welcome being wrong on that. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't expect Cooper in Buffalo but he would have to be willing to restructure that contract. But with him added to the WR's we have that would be fun to watch. Again I don't think its happening either.

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You can’t just look at stats.  And those stats are pretty meh for a WR making 20M per year……1000 yards and 6.5 TDs.  

Look at cap situation of the team that signed him.  They signed him before Dak, which cost the cowboys a ton of money.  Signing zeke may have been worse.  

the cowboys realize what a mistake it was….hence the cut and then taking on 6M In dead cap just to get rid of him 

Oh I agree it’s definitely not a good contract. I was just saying he wasn’t a complete waste of money like some players are.

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Supremely talented player whose heart isn't in the game. Never sign those types of players to extensions.

I guess I've not followed him that closely to believe that his heart isn't in the game.   

My sense has been that he's been frustrated by the situations he's found himself in.   In one fewer season than Evans, he's been targeted 250 fewer times.   Maybe that's because his heart isn't in it, but maybe it's because he's played with second-string QBs, Jon Gruden didn't know what he was doing, and the Cowboys insisted on giving the ball to their overpaid running back.   I don't know.

One thing is certain, however.   Beane and McDermott will know, and if you're right, the discussion about Cooper at One Bills Drive already has ended.  

4 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Note.  That honor goes to Ezekiel Elliott.

Yeah, that’s probably the worst.  I’m just not a Cooper fan.  There just seems to be something missing with the dude.  

7 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Oh I agree it’s definitely not a good contract. I was just saying he wasn’t a complete waste of money like some players are.

Word

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

One thing is certain, however.   Beane and McDermott will know, and if you're right, the discussion about Cooper at One Bills Drive already has ended.  

Here's what Cooper had to say when asked about Buffalo in 2020:

https://theathletic.com/1569231/2020/01/29/are-the-bills-shaking-the-siberian-stigma-it-depends-what-matters-to-nfl-players-in-free-agency?source=user-shared-article

“Location, location, location,” Cooper said when asked his impression of Buffalo as a free-agent destination. “If I had to sum it up in three words, that’s what they would be.”

What about money, money, money?

“I don’t think it’s all about money,” Cooper said. “Most players in the NFL, and if you’re a highly touted free agent, you’re going to get paid a lot of money no matter where you go. So is it worth it to go somewhere you don’t want to go?

“You might be a guy like me, who is from South Florida and has never played a game in the snow. Is it worth $1 million more a year or $2 million more a year, especially if you’ve been taking care of your money? Is it worth that to be in an environment you don’t want to be in? Or would you rather stay somewhere in the South?”

AKA "I don't want to play football if it means being uncomfortable." If a player is dismissing an entire climate, that tells me his heart isn't really in it.

• Like (+1) 5

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I've been talking about this for a while now...........but the financial day of reckoning for WR's is coming...........the pipeline is beginning to over-fill and even though WR's are huge difference makers,  supply and demand still applies............anyone who pays $20M+ for a WR on a long term deal this winter is likely to regret it in a year or two.

If I am Gabe Davis watching that combine yesterday..........I'm thinking I just lost some money down the road..........and may end up playing out my rookie contract before I get a new deal.

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If he’s willing to play for a normal contract/discounted contender contract, sure.  

I agree about the contract. 

As I said to Happy, I've not seen much to make me think he has a bad attitude.  You know how lots of Bills players say how much they love playing for this team?   How often do you hear players saying that about playing for the Raiders or the Cowboys?   I've had the impression that his teams have given him plenty of reason to be unhappy.  

I have pretty much no expectation that he'll be in Buffalo, either because you and Happy are right about his attitude, or because he wants more money than Beane thinks it makes sense to pay.   

But if the Bills signed Cooper and let Sanders and Beasley go, I'd be excited.  Single covered, Cooper can hurt the defense.   He's a tough possession receiver, and he can get deep.  Diggs is a different style receiver, and he's better - single covered, he'll hurt the defense, and he's a tough possession receiver, and he can get deep.  I know I'm seeing Davis through the lens of one game, but he's a serious third option.

Yes, those guys don't offer elite top-end speed, and almost every offense needs some serious speed threats.  But all three can and do get deep when the defense tightens.  

I'm not saying that he'd be some incredible addition to the offense.  If the Bills signed him, I wouldn't be as excited as when the Bills traded for Diggs.  And I don't know the draft and free agent possibilities, and I don't know what the Bills are thinking about any of this, but if the Bills added Cooper to Diggs, Davis, and Knox, I'd view it as a good 2-3 year move.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I've been talking about this for a while now...........but the financial day of reckoning for WR's is coming...........the pipeline is beginning to over-fill and even though WR's are huge difference makers,  supply and demand still applies............anyone who pays $20M+ for a WR on a long term deal this winter is likely to regret it in a year or two.

If I am Gabe Davis watching that combine yesterday..........I'm thinking I just lost some money down the road..........and may end up playing out my rookie contract before I get a new deal.

Interesting.  I don't follow talent all that much, but my sense has been the same.    It really helps to have a top-10 receiver, but actually there are very few who are going to be top-10 for years at a time.   I mean, for example, that it's easy to see Diggs falling out of that category soon.  Not predicting it, but if it happened no one would be that surprised.  Look at OBJ.  Talented as he is, I don't see anyone sinking big dollars in him again.  And there always seems to be another one coming along, a guy who can be elite for you for three or four years.  

It's cost-over-replacement thing.  It just doesn't cost that much to find a decent replacement for the guy with a big contract.  Some team may make a mistake on Cooper and way overpay for him, but I get the sense that the number of teams that are willing to risk stupid money is shrinking.   Cooper's agent certainly already has an idea of what the market is, and Cooper's $$$ expectation is reset, his interest in playing for a winner may go up.  

Davis?  I don't disagree there, either, but Davis is the kind of talent who could put up a big year as his contract is expiring.  I don't see him ever being an elite guy, but I wouldn't argue if you told me that when we look back from 2028, we'd recognize Davis to be as valuable a #2 receiver as Robert Woods has been.  And Davis will recognize that part of his success is the QB who's throwing to him, and he will be reluctant to leave that.  

He and Jaylon Smith lost their passion for playing football.  Perhaps being on the Cowboys does that.  

If I were his agent, I'd be looking to sign a 1-year prove it deal where he goes out and performs to his very capable level, and then go out and get another contract. 

But not in Buffalo.   

1 hour ago, Process said:

$90M for an average RB has to be up there. 

Both by the cowboys. 

I do love how Jurah hamstrings his own team, it awesome, who agrees with me? 😁👍

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Here's what Cooper had to say when asked about Buffalo in 2020:

https://theathletic.com/1569231/2020/01/29/are-the-bills-shaking-the-siberian-stigma-it-depends-what-matters-to-nfl-players-in-free-agency?source=user-shared-article

AKA "I don't want to play football if it means being uncomfortable." If a player is dismissing an entire climate, that tells me his heart isn't really in it.

Sorry, just saw this.  

Well, that certainly makes your point for you.   I hadn't seen that before.  And I'm not going to argue with you about it.  Sure sounds like his heart's not in it.   However, that's not what I see on the field.   I don't recall any questions about his attitude coming out of college - he was a stud, period.  And now that he's two years older, sees the market that Bado's talking about, he may be readjusting his perspective.  John Brown chose Baltimore over Buffalo, then he saw Allen and moved to Buffalo a year later.   Emmanuel Sanders did the same thing.  

Look at OBJ.  He welcomed the move LA, because he could see the opportunity that situation presented - become number 2 to a high performing QB and number 1.  Cooper could very well be thinking "put me on the side opposite Diggs with that guy throwing.  Please, put me there."

Maybe the weather is just that big a thing with him, and as I've said from the beginning, I don't see Cooper to Buffalo happening.  I'm just saying that if Cooper has the attitude about the game that McDermott and Beane value, they would be thrilled to add him to the team.  And Cooper's attitude may be different from what it was two years ago.  

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I do love how Jurah hamstrings his own team, it awesome, who agrees with me? 😁👍

It's quite remarkable that he has a national franchise - they really do have the reputation as America's team, and they spend money like they're Texans. They have a platform from which star players like Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin can build show business careers.   You'd think anyone would want to play there.   And yet, they're so badly managed that they continually to be unable to win when it counts.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

I don't think you are wrong. It's hard for me to put my finger on it. He just disappears in too many games. I'd only be interested if the Bills could get him at a discount which is very unlikely. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It's quite remarkable that he has a national franchise - they really do have the reputation as America's team, and they spend money like they're Texans. They have a platform from which star players like Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin can build show business careers.   You'd think anyone would want to play there.   And yet, they're so badly managed that they continually to be unable to win when it counts.  

Shaw66, your posts in this thread are well thought out. A+

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

I do think the Zeke signing was worse. They can’t even get out from him right now, and even though Coopers contract isn’t great, Zeke’s is a big reason they have to trade/cut cooper. 

It will be interesting to see how Beane progresses with signing our drafted players

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I said it then and I say it now... if Jerry knew that he was gonna get to draft Lamb in the 1st round of that 2020 draft they never sign Cooper to that extension earlier that spring. 

They never should have even if they wouldn’t have gotten Lamb.  That contract was grossly too big for him.  Terrible contract from the moment he signed it IMHO

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

They never should have even if they wouldn’t have gotten Lamb.  That contract was grossly too big for him.  Terrible contract from the moment he signed it IMHO

But, but, but…..Jerruh is a genius! He has almost as many playoff wins in the last 25 years as Tom Brady…….as a Buc. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.