Could Bills Trade Up To #1 For Pass Rusher? Picks and Rousseau For #1?

jwhit34

Draft Day Trade Up To #1 Overall Pick To Draft Aidan Hutchinson  

223 members have voted

1. 1. If the following trade was proposed: The Bills 1st and 2nd picks in '22 draft and Greg Rousseau, would you:

• Agree to the trade if you were the Bills
    • Decline the trade if you were the Bills
    • Agree to the trade if you're the Jags
    • Decline the trade if you're the Jags

15 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

The truth is, the Bills drafting record is very questionable..... Who was in charge of the 2017 draft? That was our great one. We got a first rounder that sort of turned into Edmunds. We got Dawkins. We got Tre White. We got Milano and Harrison.

I think Beane was in charge because the way we moved around the draft was exactly like Beane and his hire was merely paper work that needed to be done. 
But we never drafted that well again. Take away the Allen pick and it's very questionable. The jets put us in a position that we almost had to draft Allen as he was the next best QB. I'm not trying to cause a fight. I'm a Bills fan that wants the Bills to look good but I'm not going to lie about it. Our defense cost us a trip to the Super Bowl imho and we drafted a ton of defense but it is very questionable as to what we have on D. Part of the reason is they're still young but the fact remains the Bills defense needs to be more aggressive and they need a game-changer in the front seven and we are not even close right now in that regard.

I think we have to start thinking more like the rams and other teams (many of them super bowl winners) that add an impact player(s) to close the gap to become a Super Bowl winner.

Can our defensive coaches coach a Super Bowl winning defense? Frankly, I don't know. Two years in a row we had highly questionable game plans vs. KC imho.... We were too laid back and not aggressive at all. We played not to lose. The DL had no confidence in what they were supposed to do. They looked lost, imho.... A DC has to get their team ready to play and ready to kick ass no matter what. The only good thing I can say about Leslie is that he had this defense ready to play vs. KC in week five. Where that attitude went in the playoffs is beyond me.... Our defense looked good in many other games as well, sometimes playoff games, so I think, at least there's hope, but Ivwouldnt have shed a tear had Leslie left for greener pastures. I don't think many would have been too disappointed.

Since 2018 minus Josh the Bills have been pretty good at drafting maybe not elite level drafting but certainly finding multiple quality starters in each draft. Break it down year by year and you will see how awful your assessment is. 

In 2018 minus Josh they drafted Edumonds who has been in my opinion a fairly good starting LB, H.Phillips who had a really nice 2021 and probably would have been a starter for multiple years had he not gotten hurt in 2019, T. Johnson who has been the starting slot corner and a highly underrated part of the defense, S.Neal who has been a solid ST player and depth player and Wyatt Teller a great talent for the Browns the Bills just gave up on him too quickly. 

In 2019 they drafted Ed Oliver who has been really good on the defensive line along with Knox and Singletary who have been good contributors on the offense breaking out in 2021. 

In 2020 they didn't have a first round pick but still got good value in Gabe Davis, Tyler Bass and Dane Jackson while Moss has flashed at times and AJ can still pan out. 

In 2021 they had a promising rookie year from Groot and Spencer Brown started at RT and played fairly well. On top of that Boogie was decent in rotation and Doyle played well as a role player to end the season. 

Overall I look at these three draft classes and I see a lot of impact on the field despite missing significant picks from the Diggs trade and picking fairly late in 2020 and 2021. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Regardless of how anyone feels about the trade around here, the 25th pick in the 1st and 2nd Round + Greg Rousseau is not enough capital to acquire the 1st overall pick.

Draft Value Chart has the #1 Pick at 3000 pts. The 25th pick is worth 720 pts. and the 57th pick is worth 330 pts. Greg Rousseau alone does not make up the remaining 1950 pts.

Don't let facts take the wind out of OPs sails. OP please tell us more of your theories for trades we could make. Should we trade Ike Boettger for Justin Jefferson?

• Haha (+1) 1

I feel it is more likely the Bills trade the #1 and a pick or players for a proven 1B/2A level CB. A Stef Diggs type move at CB if you will.

The Bills are free of the Addison and Hughes contracts at DE. They are FA now. The remaining DEs on the roster are all young DEs drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. It is possible to bring Obada back as a 4th. Those guys need to be given a chance to step up and produce. A 1st round pick and 2 seconds is more than most other teams have at DE. They need to produce.

At DB we have Dane Jackson and Taron Johnson as day 1 starters. Levi Wallace is a FA and will get paid more than Buffalo can give. Tre White is not a given to start week 1, much less week 4, and what does he look like the first week he is back? Johnson is a very good slot CB, but not very good outside. Jackson is a level 3, maybe 2B starter. Who plays opposite him?

CB is the clear need for Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Since 2018 minus Josh the Bills have been pretty good at drafting maybe not elite level drafting but certainly finding multiple quality starters in each draft. Break it down year by year and you will see how awful your assessment is. 

In 2018 minus Josh they drafted Edumonds who has been in my opinion a fairly good starting LB, H.Phillips who had a really nice 2021 and probably would have been a starter for multiple years had he not gotten hurt in 2019, T. Johnson who has been the starting slot corner and a highly underrated part of the defense, S.Neal who has been a solid ST player and depth player and Wyatt Teller a great talent for the Browns the Bills just gave up on him too quickly. 

In 2019 they drafted Ed Oliver who has been really good on the defensive line along with Knox and Singletary who have been good contributors on the offense breaking out in 2021. 

In 2020 they didn't have a first round pick but still got good value in Gabe Davis, Tyler Bass and Dane Jackson while Moss has flashed at times and AJ can still pan out. 

In 2021 they had a promising rookie year from Groot and Spencer Brown started at RT and played fairly well. On top of that Boogie was decent in rotation and Doyle played well as a role player to end the season. 

Overall I look at these three draft classes and I see a lot of impact on the field despite missing significant picks from the Diggs trade and picking fairly late in 2020 and 2021. 

Excellent post.  I think that the Bills have drafted pretty well in the McDermott/Beane era.  I think that Ford is the only one of their high picks who's definitely been a big disappointment.  Maybe Moss as well.  The Bills have been drafting in the bottom half of each round since 2019 which means that they are likely to get prospects who are less polished and probably need more time to develop than players taken in the top half of the same round.

47 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Excellent post.  I think that the Bills have drafted pretty well in the McDermott/Beane era.  I think that Ford is the only one of their high picks who's definitely been a big disappointment.  Maybe Moss as well.  The Bills have been drafting in the bottom half of each round since 2019 which means that they are likely to get prospects who are less polished and probably need more time to develop than players taken in the top half of the same round.

Even with high picks you miss once in awhile. Ford was a big miss for sure and AJ/Moss are a bit of a concern to be misses. But overall they constantly have been finding starters and role players throughout the draft. Lots of players still have a chance to develop too. 

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

The funniest thing about this topic isn’t how unrealistic the trade proposal is.  It isn’t thinking that a move from 25 to 1 is at all feasible.  It’s suggesting that we try to get to #1 overall in a draft where no team wants that pick.  It is a boat anchor.

Very true.  You end up having to pay out an elite level contract for a player who might end up being only very good, and the odds are decent that any of half a dozen players picked after #1 could end up having as much or more impact for their team.

I'm amazed 9 people voted that Jax would accept the trade.  That would be an all time great highway robbery by the Bills, and Jax would be an even bigger laughing stock for allowing themselves to be fleeced so badly.  A late 2nd and an unproven player to drop 24 spots from #1?  I'm signing the deal in a heartbeat if I'm Beane if Jax agrees to it.  I love Rousseau, but I'd drop him (and a late 2nd) without a second thought for #1 overall.

Another OP update, still has not shown his face despite being online multiple times per day.

On 2/9/2022 at 11:31 AM, 1ManRaid said:

Holy crap you GREATLY underestimate how much it would cost to move up 20+ spots in the first round to #1 overall.  Need to throw in a couple more 1st and 2nd rounders at least, especially considering our low draft slots.  Our 2nd rounder + Rousseau probably wouldn't get us to the top 10, and it only gets exponentially more expensive from there.

That's why I said I'd do it, and Jags wouldn't.

We get #1 pick, worst case Ontario we flip it for Aaron Donald

19 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Another OP update, still has not shown his face despite being online multiple times per day.

It's quite healthy to step away from a -30 reaction barrage.

On 2/9/2022 at 12:47 PM, 1ManRaid said:

In terms of trade value, our 2nd rounder gets us from #25 to #15.  Rousseau would have to be worth the #3 pick to get us up to #1.

Just in terms of our 1st round picks, our next 4 1st rounders (assuming current draft spot) wouldn't get us up to #1, especially considering future picks are worth less.

Trying to learn here, how do you figure this out? 

22 hours ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

I remember back in 2010 when we drafted Spiller someone posted a fake rumor on the old BBMB that we traded him a first and a second in the next draft for Phillip Rivers. In hindsight that lie would have been a great trade. Anyways I am rambling now. What was the question again?

The question is in ‘22 how do we get Spiller in space😂

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

Trying to learn here, how do you figure this out? 

The question is in ‘22 how do we get Spiller in space😂

Call Bezos.  I do not think, however, his name recognition is sufficient to get him a 'free ride', ala  Shatner.

7 hours ago, Draconator said:

Why is this thread still a thing? I've seen more thoughtful and insightful threads locked/merged. To keep this open is insane.

image.thumb.jpeg.74d6de8934fd6a960a67b5f77d5bfc9b.jpeg

Unrealistic question, it would take a lot more than this to trade to #1 (try like three 1sts & 2nds) to go from 25 to 1. The question is would you be willing to trade all of that for a swing at 1 player who may or may not pan out & will take a few years to develop, while our Superbowl window is open now. It's a no brainer the answer is no. & Beane isn't going to do it. So let's stop with the silly questions.

So you land Hutchinson, but would possibly have to give up more than the 25th overall and a 2nd,in addition to Rosseau.  Keep in mind,every time you trade multiple picks you are missing an opportunity to fix another position. Would a starting  CB at 25 for example, be a better OVERALL plan?

Edited by Georgie
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Georgie said:

So you land Hutchinson, but would possibly have to give up more than the 25th overall and a 2nd,in addition to Rosseau.  Keep in mind,every time you trade multiple picks you are missing an opportunity to fix another position. Would a starting  CB at 25 for example, be a better OVERALL plan?

Or swing the 1st round pick for a known starter at CB? Sounds crazy, but Beane did it for a #1 WR.

20 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

Or swing the 1st round pick for a known starter at CB? Sounds crazy, but Beane did it for a #1 WR.

I think people forget it wasn't just a 1st rnd pick. It was also a 4,5 and 6. That would be a lot to give up under our current situation. I'm not arguing that flipping a 1st for a starting CB isn't an option, but do you have someone in mind and would that team be willing? Serious question as I haven't looked into it at all.

OP was throwing crap up on a chat room wall to see if the idea indeed would have any traction amongst the brethren of 2BD

The answer to that is a flat NOPE

If someone who rarely posts does, and it's bad, its a bad idea and u scroll on past just like any other thread that doesnt interest you.

I mean for our Bills this frankly offseason already. 8 pages in hmm okay....  OP Novice attempt. Go easy on him now ;-)-m

#piffle

Edited by muppy

4 minutes ago, muppy said:

OP was throwing crap up on a chat room wall to see if the idea indeed would have any traction amongst the brethren of 1BD

The answer to that is a flat NOPE

If someone whom rarely posts does, and it's bad, its a bad idea and u scroll on past just like any other thread that doesnt interest you.

I mean for our Bills this frankly offseason already. 8 pages in hmm okay....  OP Novice attempt. Go easy on him now ;-)-m

#piffle

If someone *who* rarely posts

Nominative case.

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I think people forget it wasn't just a 1st rnd pick. It was also a 4,5 and 6. That would be a lot to give up under our current situation. I'm not arguing that flipping a 1st for a starting CB isn't an option, but do you have someone in mind and would that team be willing? Serious question as I haven't looked into it at all.

Oh yeah, it may be a package, but our Bills are in win now mode. I would look at teams in cap trouble or rebuilding. Marshawn Lattimore fits 2/3 of those requirements, but his contract is a mess. I haven't gone team by team yet, just throwing out the idea that trading a 1st (and other pics/ player) may be an option this year, and CB is a real need IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

This year, giving up a 4th+5th+6th gets us from pick 25 to pick.....20.  

But as for a lot to give up in our situation, how?  We are in a great roster situation where we can afford the luxury of going BPA.  Minor holes can be filled with FA.

1 minute ago, 1ManRaid said:

This year, giving up a 4th+5th+6th gets us from pick 25 to pick.....20.  

But as for a lot to give up in our situation, how?  We are in a great roster situation where we can afford the luxury of going BPA.  Minor holes can be filled with FA.

I wasn't looking at it as moving up in the 1st rnd. I was looking at losing 3 lower cost players. For example, That 4, could get you a decent RB, 5 could get you another oline and 6 could get you a good depth player or even a really good punter. LOL. 

12 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

Oh yeah, it may be a package, but our Bills are in win now mode. I would look at teams in cap trouble or rebuilding. Marshawn Lattimore fits 2/3 of those requirements, but his contract is a mess. I haven't gone team by team yet, just throwing out the idea that trading a 1st (and other pics/ player) may be an option this year, and CB is a real need IMO.

One critical component of the Diggs trade was that he wanted out of Minnesota.  That’s the reason the Bills got a player of his caliber on a reasonable contract for what they did.

I don’t have an issue trading for a CB in theory, but I’m looking for a fit unless a rare Diggs-like situation pops up.  We can’t take on a bad contract so thats out.  A second or third tier CB on an expiring contract would be an option, but we could just sign one of those for the contract we’d give one we’d trade for.  Don’t see that happening.

I think we’re seeing what FA brings and then looking to the draft.  Expect at least one in each. 

On 2/9/2022 at 11:31 AM, 1ManRaid said:

Holy crap you GREATLY underestimate how much it would cost to move up 20+ spots in the first round to #1 overall.  Need to throw in a couple more 1st and 2nd rounders at least, especially considering our low draft slots.  Our 2nd rounder + Rousseau probably wouldn't get us to the top 10, and it only gets exponentially more expensive from there.

Its almost impossible

I wasn't looking at it as moving up in the 1st rnd. I was looking at losing 3 lower cost players. For example, That 4, could get you a decent RB, 5 could get you another oline and 6 could get you a good depth player or even a really good punter. LOL. 

Sorry I meant to highlight comparative value of a trade of 1st/4th/5th/6th for a player.  I'd gladly give up a #20 pick for a player like Diggs and fill the others with cheap FAs or trade down a 2nd for midrounders. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.