"All I wanted was some steak!"

PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I'd rather eat a raw bat than go to Golden Corral.

I used to have a bunch of chain restaurants as clients (building material supplier).  Nationally there was almost no one that actually wanted to eat at their own restaurant brand.  I had two exceptions - one Red Lobster guy who loved RL and never wanted to go anywhere else. And every freaking meeting involving any Golden Corral franchisee ever.  Notably the people at the GC corporate office had a phenomenal Mexican restaurant they loved going to.  Still the best molé sauce I’ve had in the states.

Those GC luncheons were the worst.  Food that was as embarrassing in its quantity as it was its quality (though inversely related).  There was just so much of it and it was all so bad.  The franchise owners I met all seemed to think it was great though.  I usually just made myself a salad and told them I was dieting.  Unsweetened Iced Tea (North only) or water (South) sold that story.

Tangent:  Speaking of iced tea, I remember the first time I got a Sweet Tea in the South.  I was totally unprepared for it.  Diabetes in a red 32 oz plastic glass served by an absolutely delightful young woman.  I could not believe how overwhelmingly sweet it was.  My boss saw the look on my face and just laughed at me. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Tangent:  Speaking of iced tea, I remember the first time I got a Sweet Tea in the South.  I was totally unprepared for it.  Diabetes in a red 32 oz plastic glass served by an absolutely delightful young woman.  I could not believe how overwhelmingly sweet it was.  My boss saw the look on my face and just laughed at me. 

Same experience with sweet tea at a ribs place in NC. Like… I could feel all my teeth roots jittering in one instant.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 2

just to add a bit more perspective, i have since heard that this was not about the restaurant running out of steak, but that someone got their steak before someone else who had ordered it first.   i have no idea if this is true...do they have steaks to order at GC?

22 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I remember making sweet tea when I worked at Wendy's pouring bags of sugar into a plastic ice bucket with tea and stirring up the sugar sludge it initially becomes on the bottom.

33 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I remember making sweet tea when I worked at Wendy's pouring bags of sugar into a plastic ice bucket with tea and stirring up the sugar sludge it initially becomes on the bottom.

Actually... I will share my secret, not so secret.   Always make a simple syrup.  Put the sugar in boiling water and stir until dissolved.   The sugar will stay in suspension... That's how I make my lemonade. 

You can let the syrup cool and use later, just remember how many parts water and sugar it is. I usually just keep it 2 cups water, 1 cup sugar... Then the rest is filled in with plain water and lemons that the recipe calls for.

😋 😋 😋 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, teef said:

just to add a bit more perspective, i have since heard that this was not about the restaurant running out of steak, but that someone got their steak before someone else who had ordered it first.   i have no idea if this is true...do they have steaks to order at GC?

I saw the same thing in a FB post.  One person ordered theirs well done, the person next in line wanted theirs medium rare. Second person got theirs before first person cause, well, duh, well done is going to take longer to cook.  

• Shocked 1

9 hours ago, teef said:

Found it...

Video captures massive brawl inside Golden Corral in Bensalem, Pa.

Alexis Rios says it started over a misunderstanding regarding a piece of steak. Rios says the person in front of him became angry with the cook because Rios received his steak first. "(The cook is) trying to understand what you want and give you what you want," he says. "I had a rare steak, which is a lot faster to cook than a well-done steak. That's why I got my steak first."

9 hours ago, Warcodered said:

We were in Spain a few years ago, ya know….back when people actually went places, and wanted sangria. We learned southern Spain is generally warm, and the people who live their like cold beer. For the tourists, each place has their different version of sangria, and it is almost universally AWFUL!  Almost half the places had a sugar sludge at the bottom of the glass. DISGUSTING! 

We came home and made the Bobby Flay version, better than anything in Spain. 

Went to Sanibel/Captiva for a vacation back in 2011/2012. On the way from the Fort Myers airport to the motel. stopped at Chic-Fil-a and bought a gallon jug uf their iced tea, then stoped at a liquor store to buy vodka. Had vodka and iced teas for a week  on the beach.

12 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I saw the same thing in a FB post.  One person ordered theirs well done, the person next in line wanted theirs medium rare. Second person got theirs before first person cause, well, duh, well done is going to take longer to cook.  

kings among men!

12 hours ago, Just Jack said:

He ordered the steak well done?

problem.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Wacka said:

Went to Sanibel/Captiva for a vacation back in 2011/2012. On the way from the Fort Myers airport to the motel. stopped at Chic-Fil-a and bought a gallon jug uf their iced tea, then stoped at a liquor store to buy vodka. Had vodka and iced teas for a week  on the beach.

A week?  My uncontrolled ass would have blown through that in a day! 🤭😁

46 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

A week?  My uncontrolled ass would have blown through that in a day! 🤭😁

It was multiple  gallons of Chick-Fil-a tea and  multiple trips to the liquor store. Captiva Island is only about a quarter mile wide. Fill up the insulated mug, restaurant across the street for breakfast, down the street to the beach. Drank til noon, ate lunch at a p lace on the beach (had burgers). Back to the room for more tea and booze and back to the beach. At about 5 went to the supermarket on the island to buy food and cook it on the grill at the motel.

The place looked like cottages at Crystal Beach,  but in the office, the owners had pictures of him with Danny DeVito and with Aerosmith when they stayed there. On the beach there was a guy that sold ice cream and snacks off a party boat that he  drove up on the beach. Taking to that guy , found out he was from WNY.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1

My first year of college was the fall of 1979 a year after Animal House came out.  My roommate had the idea to start a food fight in the cafeteria like the movie. He was to stand up and yell food fight like Belushi.  Well as I was walking towards the dining all I see all these people running out covered in food.  I ***** missed it!!  

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.