If Dorsey leaves then what?

Niagara Dude

27 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I like this idea a lot actually. Brady didn’t quite get a fair shake going to work for Matt Rhule who seems like he is all over the place. 

I think I like Doug Pederson as my first choice based on his body of work but I'm warning up to the Joe Brady idea despite how inexperienced he is.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Shea Tierney has been someone I've heard a ton about.  I literally cant believe Dorsey isnt staying.

Otherwise McDermott has coached with both Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy,

Nagy would sucked…he destroyed Trubisky. I just hope Ken Dorsey Stays & the pegula’s make it worth his wild to stay 

Anyone who doesn't have orthodox or "old school" view on offensive play calling. I don't want to see runs on 1st and 2nd down in all situations or any of that run to open up the pass garbage. We need innovative. So Daboll but without the weird random onset run obsessions or strange need to get cute at times.

2 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Only one I’ve seen.  He also now states the Bills are making a concerted effort to keep him.

Yeah I wouldn't put much stock into this just yet with him being the lone wolf saying that lol. It's clearly possible, but will wait to see if anyone else reports it

As i said earlier in the thread,  we don’t really know that Dorsey will be a great OC.  We know he and Josh get along, ok that’s great.  I’m ok getting a respected OC in here from outside the organization.  I realize for Dorsey it would tough to step in to Daboll’s shoes in Buffalo.  He may have a tough time living up to the recent success here.  In NY he will have a couple years grace period to get the hang of being the guy. 

5 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

5B53356E-36E3-4D3E-8F0E-D70FE7DD4FC0.jpeg

Thanks, I posted below in regards to him being only one spoke about contract negotiations currently

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah I wouldn't put much stock into this just yet with him being the lone wolf saying that lol. It's clearly possible, but will wait to see if anyone else reports it

Chad Hall would be interesting and I’d bet he gets a look. This is basically McDermott and Beans first chance at showing how they hire/ fire coordinators. Will they promote from within? Or do they go get talent. 

Edited by warrior9

People saying they aren't worried because who wouldn't want to work with Allen...yea but does Allen want to work with them? Learn an entire new offense, new verbage, new schemes? He was able to get better every year because they had continuity. In New England they don't change the scheme when someone leaves they just plug and play. Coaches and players, all replaceable for them. All of these other teams in turmoil replace coaches every couple of years and they start back at square one. Losing all of our offensive coaching staff is going to be an issue and I'm surprised they didn't already have a plan in place to promote within. As soon as Daboll was hired the Bills should have announced the promotion of everyone on the offensive side of the ball with Dorsey as OC

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

People saying they aren't worried because who wouldn't want to work with Allen...yea but does Allen want to work with them? Learn an entire new offense, new verbage, new schemes? He was able to get better every year because they had continuity. In New England they don't change the scheme when someone leaves they just plug and play. Coaches and players, all replaceable for them. All of these other teams in turmoil replace coaches every couple of years and they start back at square one. Losing all of our offensive coaching staff is going to be an issue and I'm surprised they didn't already have a plan in place to promote within. As soon as Daboll was hired the Bills should have announced the promotion of everyone on the offensive side of the ball with Dorsey as OC

For all we know maybe Dorsey told them he wanted to move on and wasn’t interested in the job remember Ken Dorsey has never called a single play at any level of football that is awfully risky for a team in a Super Bowl window  

10 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Chad Hall would be interesting and I’d bet he gets a look. This is basically McDermott and Beans first chance at showing how they hire/ fire coordinators. Will they promote from within? Or do they go get talent. 

McDermott said something about "Chad Hall being a young coach who is off to a great start to his career".  That didn't sound like "guy who I'm eyeballing as the next OC"

3 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I think chances are more likely than not that Allen will have some sort of input in that. I feel like they would at least talk to him or see what he thinks.

Anyways, as for learning new offenses, it happens to pretty much all players at some point. Josh seems pretty smart, if /when he has to learn new info, I'm confident he'd be just fine

54 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I’m not making suggestions, but as far as I know, these are the E-P guys out there. Keep in mind that a lot of them use elements from other offensive systems, but E-P is the base. 

Sean Payton!!

Pete Carmichael (depending what happens in NO)

Mike Shula

Mike McCoy

Ken Wisenhunt

Rob Chudzinski - some air coryell in there

Chad O’Shea

George Godsey

Bill O’Brien

Todd Haley

Adam Gase

Bill Musgrave who worked for Leslie Frazier

and Chan Gailey and Mike Mularkey!

McCoy, Shula, and Chudz have McDermott ties.

I do hope that Dorsey returns as that would be the ideal set up. I also wonder if Chad Hall makes any sense as well. As others have mentioned, people should be chomping at the bit for this job and the chance to coach Josh, so it will be interesting to see what happens. Trying to stay optimistic here. 

No Kafka?   Chiefs for 5 years under Reid as QB coach and passing game coordinator. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McDermott said something about "Chad Hall being a young coach who is off to a great start to his career".  That didn't sound like "guy who I'm eyeballing as the next OC"

Hall has like 5 years of coaching experience, and 2 of those were as an entry quality control-type guy. i am pretty sure they aren’t turning over the offense to him. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

5B53356E-36E3-4D3E-8F0E-D70FE7DD4FC0.jpeg

He walked that statement back like 30 mins later

I am skeptical of this guy. I don’t see how he could possibly know that Buffalo is making a “concerted effort to retain Ken Dorsey”. How would he have found that out, and so quickly at that? Who is he that he has ties to know what buffalo’s front office is doing?

I don’t doubt that Daboll wants Ken Dorsey. But we’ll see what happens.

The Giants have to interview at least 1 minority candidate for their OC job before they can hire anyone anyways. So if they’re in negotiations with Dorsey they violated the Rooney rule

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, sirebors said:

I'm curious... If an offensive coordinator leaves... Is the playbook his to take? Or is it the property of the team? Or are they both allowed access to it? 

If he draws up the plays in that particular playbook it would be his property right? Or could be considered the teams property since done while employed...my guess is it would be the teams. But good question, not really sure

Bills have prepped for whatever is happening.

Ever notice there is a ton of conjecture about coaching moves and it falls out however it falls out?  

Deals have been made across the board behind the scenes.  New HC’a don’t take jobs workout assurances of whom will be their coordinators.  Info that is most likely shared with the new team.

Agsin, McDermott had prepared for this and had a guy on the hook already.  

And don’t forget the media is in in on too.  Floating names to help push an outlining individual or someone who is close, but hasn’t locked it up.  Ie: “Coach X is a top candidate for tesm A”.  An hour later “Coach X is high on the list of teams B and C”.  Feeding frenzy where there is not one.

Edited by davefan66

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He is making probably just as much, if not more, money being THE QB guru to the stars without the stress, the insane hours, or the travel. Also, he can teach a QB how to improve his fundamentals - but that doesn't mean he can game plan or play call. He's never coached a game of football in his life. He could be a position coach. But an NFL OC with zero prior experience?

This is a 'no' every way you can look at it.

I literally said qb coach in my post. I wouldn't want him as a OC.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

It’s not about who “wants” to coach Josh Allen. Of course there will be dozens.

Its about who is available. Coaches can’t just leave contracts. And the best OC’s are already employed.

Well pederson and Nagy are both examples of very good OCs that aren't employed...so not entirely true. 

I'd go with chiefs/Reid tree with kafka however. 

19 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

He walked that statement back like 30 mins later

I am skeptical of this guy. I don’t see how he could possibly know that Buffalo is making a “concerted effort to retain Ken Dorsey”. How would he have found that out, and so quickly at that? Who is he that he has ties to know what buffalo’s front office is doing?

I don’t doubt that Daboll wants Ken Dorsey. But we’ll see what happens.

The Giants have to interview at least 1 minority candidate for their OC job before they can hire anyone anyways. So if they’re in negotiations with Dorsey they violated the Rooney rule

Ken Dorsey has an agent.

id bet that agent is happy to tell people that there is an active bidding war.

I bet he’d be glad to say that no matter what was happening 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

If he draws up the plays in that particular playbook it would be his property right? Or could be considered the teams property since done while employed...my guess is it would be the teams. But good question, not really sure

Let’s be real - it doesn’t disappear into the ether for either party. And none of the plays are unique intellectual property. 

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

If reports that Dorsey also goes to the Giant become true then who would you like to see become our new offensive cordinator or new QB coach

I don't understand why he would go to the Giants if he was offered the OC job here.  He would have full control of the offense here and Josh Allen vs Daboll running the show and Daniel Jones.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Does Bienemy want to prove he can do it without Reid (Pettine style)?

this thought crossed my mind. I could see the chiefs/Reid letting him out of his contract for this reason too, as they are supporting his efforts

to become a future HC. No one thinks he is the brains behind the operation now and if he can’t get a HC job when there are 9 openings, he never will, without getting out from Reid’s shadow. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't understand why he would go to the Giants if he was offered the OC job here.  He would have full control of the offense here and Josh Allen vs Daboll running the show and Daniel Jones.

ive said it a few times: what if he’s not sure he’s 100% fully ready for full control? 

maybe having extra support is appealing to him as a first time OC

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.