If Dorsey leaves then what?

Niagara Dude

6 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Bills would have to grant permission for him to seek another job. That would speak to what McD thinks of his future.

No, if he's offered the Giants OC position it's a promotion, not a lateral move.  The Bills would not interfere.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

It’s gotta be someone who knows and understands the Erhardt Perkins offense…. Do you just up and change Offensive schemes for a unit that basically has pushed for SB titles the last 2 years?

U took the words right out of my keystrokes here. I'd much rather we kept the playbook language & scheme the same, than say switch to something else where you're starting from ground zero. Now i know there's a bunch out there who are based in that scheme, but are they available? No idea. But i hope they know the Erhardt Perkins offense too

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

That is for sure,  anyone looking to be a HC in two years can use Allen and his arm as launch pad

Exactly...I understand Dorsey will have to wait a little because the Bills have to do their due diligence with the league rules on an open coordinator position...But still...The #17 kid is future HOF-kind of special...Just do your job well and the sky is the limit....B-)

33 minutes ago, psuscott16 said:

Wonder what it would take to get Jordan Palmer as his QB coach

He is making probably just as much, if not more, money being THE QB guru to the stars without the stress, the insane hours, or the travel. Also, he can teach a QB how to improve his fundamentals - but that doesn't mean he can game plan or play call. He's never coached a game of football in his life. He could be a position coach. But an NFL OC with zero prior experience?

This is a 'no' every way you can look at it.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

If Dorsey leaves to be OC for Daniel Jones instead of Josh Allen, then I am glad he didn't get the OC job here because I would question his sanity, let alone his football wisdom.

I agree. Seems like his path to HC would be smoother in Buffalo versus the Giants.  My concern if Dorsey turns the Bills down is that he might not think he can coexist with McD?  This is something to keep an eye on.

I've got to believe the money won't be that different and the cost of living in metro NYC is way higher then Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Utah John said:

If Dorsey's offered the Bills OC job and takes it, it will be his for as long as he wants it unless it turns out he's a bad play caller.  The Bills are built to keep winning, by avoiding salary cap binds and keeping good players on board.

Taking a job on the Giants staff would be like Zsa Zsa Gabor having a wash and wear wedding dress.  (OK, I'm dating myself.)  If the Giants continue to struggle, and there's no reason to think they won't, the OC will be the fall guy, and Dorsey's buddy Daboll and HIS buddy Schoen won't be willing to lose their own jobs to save him.  Or Daboll could get canned and Dorsey would lose his job then too.

Dorsey might want to leave to avoid the chatter that any success he has will be because of the offense he inherited from Daboll.  That's a real possibility.  

Risky move heading to Giants,  if Jones fails then everything collapses for Dorsey.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Dorsey would really have to hate his career arc to leave Allen to go to Jones and that trash roster that's in salary cap hell on top of it. Might as well commit career suicide.

Which begs the question of why he would do it?  We might not like the answer. For all we know DaBoll and by extension Dorsey were steaming mad at how Allen and the offense was reigned in during the 1st NE game and the KC game.

7 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

U took the words right out of my keystrokes here. I'd much rather we kept the playbook language & scheme the same, than say switch to something else where you're starting from ground zero. Now i know there's a bunch out there who are based in that scheme, but are they available? No idea. But i hope they know the Erhardt Perkins offense too

People may disagree but I think Bill Musgrave would be a solid pick up at OC.

Tons of OC experience, QB coach experience. Developed Michael Vick, runs the Erhardt Perkins scheme. Was huge for Derek Carr, an OC Carr loved playing for, 2 years Carr had 8000 passing yards and 60+ TDs early on in his career. 

He’s a guy who could handle an offense. Was OC under Leslie Frazier!

Edited by CEN-CAL17
  • Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Criticism of Nagy in Chicago was that he had a ***** passing game. Pep is interesting. What about Doug Pederson? He has connects to McD from Philly, right?

I watched a lot of Bears games as a Mooney owner in fantasy 

Trust me I'm very intrigued 

I like how they worked with Fields - he's just not Allen

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Shea Tierney has been someone I've heard a ton about.  I literally cant believe Dorsey isnt staying.

Otherwise McDermott has coached with both Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy,

Sure on that one? Could be wring but their Philly time didn't overlap, and Pederson didn't have a Tom of nfl experience when he got hired IIRC

20 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don't know, I mean who's going to want to be the OC for Josh Allen.

Lol, I know right..speaking for myself I'm not worried very much. I mean some OC's can be a little better than others, but  OC would have to be awful if they can't be successful with Josh at QB and the talent around him,

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Which begs the question of why he would do it?  We might not like the answer. For all we know DaBoll and by extension Dorsey were steaming mad at how Allen and the offense was reigned in during the 1st NE game and the KC game.

That's a stretch since Daboll calls the plays and McD wouldn't usurp his power mid game.  It may be that Dorsey realizes Daboll is a tough act to follow.  If he's OC and the Bills offense declines, the finger would point at Dorsey.  In NY if the offense fails they can blame a new system, the QB, not enough weapons etc.

I would look hard at Joe Brady. What he did at LSU and with Burrow and those WR's was legendary. He was thrown under the bus by the Panthers.  Brady didn't trade for Darnold nor did he sign Newton off the street and order him inserted into the starting line up and he didn't injure CMAC.

Brady was the scapegoat for the bad decisions of the Panthers GM & owner.  At the very least the guy will have a burning desire to prove the Panthers wrong.  And what a weapon for revenge Josh Allen would be.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

More money is probably the only answer.

1 minute ago, jkeerie said:

That's a stretch since Daboll calls the plays and McD wouldn't usurp his power mid game.  It may be that Dorsey realizes Daboll is a tough act to follow.  If he's OC and the Bills offense declines, the finger would point at Dorsey.  In NY if the offense fails they can blame a new system, the QB, not enough weapons etc.

I'm ignorant as to how the dynamic between DaBoll & McD worked in game.  But if DaBoll was making those decisions on his own I'm not sorry to see him go.

50 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don't know, I mean who's going to want to be the OC for Josh Allen.

It’s not about who “wants” to coach Josh Allen. Of course there will be dozens.

Its about who is available. Coaches can’t just leave contracts. And the best OC’s are already employed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.