If Dorsey leaves then what?

Niagara Dude

Go Get Bill Musgrave. Erhardt Perkins guy. OC under Frazier years ago. Developed Michael Vick. Derek Carr loved him and put up huge numbers, gained MVP talk…. Keenum loved him.

The next OC needs to have tons of experience… can’t hand the keys to the unit that pushed to nearly go to 2 SBs to a “new guy” with little experience.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/13/derek-carr-case-keenum-praise-bill-musgrave/amp/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Utah John said:

If Dorsey's offered the Bills OC job and takes it, it will be his for as long as he wants it unless it turns out he's a bad play caller.  The Bills are built to keep winning, by avoiding salary cap binds and keeping good players on board.

Taking a job on the Giants staff would be like Zsa Zsa Gabor having a wash and wear wedding dress.  (OK, I'm dating myself.)  If the Giants continue to struggle, and there's no reason to think they won't, the OC will be the fall guy, and Dorsey's buddy Daboll and HIS buddy Schoen won't be willing to lose their own jobs to save him.  Or Daboll could get canned and Dorsey would lose his job then too.

Dorsey might want to leave to avoid the chatter that any success he has will be because of the offense he inherited from Daboll.  That's a real possibility.  

Thing is...As good as this Bills Offense is, it can certainly be better...And they seem to understand exactly where it needs to improve. I was actually encouraged with Beane's presser concerning the big Offense questions. This Bills OC job is as much of a guarantee as you're ever going to get in the NFL. Granted nothing is certain...But it's close. And it can get better...B-)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

I'm ignorant as to how the dynamic between DaBoll & McD worked in game.  But if DaBoll was making those decisions on his own I'm not sorry to see him go.

Quite honestly, I think he did.  Maybe he wanted to show he could call a good running game.  In fact, Mike Robinson talked about that very thing on GMFB saying he's seen coordinators try to showcase themselves in anticipation of head coaching consideration.

21 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Which begs the question of why he would do it?  We might not like the answer. For all we know DaBoll and by extension Dorsey were steaming mad at how Allen and the offense was reigned in during the 1st NE game and the KC game.

or he’s just loyal to his guy

I don’t want Dorsey to leave,  but do we know he’s a good OC?  There’s really no way of knowing until he’s the man in charge.

I trust that Beane, McD and Allen are not thumbing through a rolodex, they probably have it narrowed down to 2 guys.  

I still don't understand why people think Dorsey would leave if the Bills want him..

He didn't know Daboll before the Bills.

His relationship that brought him to the Bills was McDermott.

Josh Allen has publicly endorsed him for OC. 

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

The only way Dorsey leaving makes any sense is if he's not offered the OC role.  Otherwise he'd be leaving to take a lateral position with a lesser QB and weaker all around team.

He may also just have a great relationship with Daboll, they've obviously worked very closely over the last 4 years and maybe they just gel. 

FYI Joe Brady was a WR for 4 years and then a coach for 2 years under Jimmye Laycock at William and Mary, which we all know is McDermott's alma mater. 

He also worked with Sean Payton who runs a combo WCO with E-P.

Most importantly, he's a big RPO proponent which is actually alot of our base offensive design.

Just saying there's a connection there.

• Like (+1) 3

I’m not making suggestions, but as far as I know, these are the E-P guys out there. Keep in mind that a lot of them use elements from other offensive systems, but E-P is the base. 

Sean Payton!!

Pete Carmichael (depending what happens in NO)

Mike Shula

Mike McCoy

Ken Wisenhunt

Rob Chudzinski - some air coryell in there

Chad O’Shea

George Godsey

Bill O’Brien

Todd Haley

Adam Gase

Bill Musgrave who worked for Leslie Frazier

and Chan Gailey and Mike Mularkey!

McCoy, Shula, and Chudz have McDermott ties.

I do hope that Dorsey returns as that would be the ideal set up. I also wonder if Chad Hall makes any sense as well. As others have mentioned, people should be chomping at the bit for this job and the chance to coach Josh, so it will be interesting to see what happens. Trying to stay optimistic here. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.