How to fix?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How to fix (select one)?

• It works fine the way it is
    • CBS: The spot-and-choose rule
    • CBS: The field goal gamble
    • CBS: The simple proposal: Both teams get the ball
    • As long as Bills lose I am happy because I bet against the Bills

Or more precisely fix did not work first time.  When the doctor "fixes" it this way usually there is a suit asking for money to support,

Three best ways to fix NFL overtime after Chiefs' wild playoff win over Bills brings OT rules under scrutiny

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-conference-championship-games-dates-times-previews-early-odds-for-chiefs-vs-bengals-rams-vs-49ers/

Under NFL rules, if the team that receives the kickoff in overtime scores a touchdown, then the game is over. If the team kicks a field goal, then the other team will get a chance to have the ball. However, the Bills never got that chance since the Chiefs scored a TD. 

The problem with this format is that puts too much emphasis on the coin toss. The first and most important possession of overtime is decided by a coin, which seems like a weird way to do things when you have two teams who just spent 60 minutes trying to decide things on the field. 

How to fix?  CBS writer had 3 ideas.

The Bills didn’t lose due to the OT rules.

The Bills O had a chance to make bank in the second quarter and played tiddlywinks instead.

The Bills special teams had a chance to bleed some time off the clock at the end. They didn’t even cause it to go.

The Bills D had three chances on three consecutive drives to stop the Chiefs and didn’t.

The Chiefs O ,” They are who we thought they were and we let ‘em off the hook!”

The OT rules are fine. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

The rules are the rules and I am not upset about it. With that said, I have long believed the overtime rules have needed to be changed for the playoffs. I am not sure what the format should be; however, I think any format providing a fair apportunity for both teams would be an improvement. The 1st two options in the article you linked seem goofy to me. The last option of giving each team the ball (I would add until one team is ahead on an equal number of possessions) seems a good direction to me.

They do that to limit the game time. It became clear that a single-possession and FG to win was really unfair (given how rules changes have favored offense), so we got this next step of each team gets a possession unless a TD is scored.

In a better world, we might get something more fair than a coin flip determining the game, at least for the playoffs. But that’s applicable for games with two elite / unstoppable offenses. It sucks we lost without a shot on O in OT, but I just don’t think it’s enough to change the rule. There were a couple-few ties in the regular season with 10 minutes for someone to score… if you wanna win, you gotta be able to stop the other team. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The Bills O had a chance to make bank in the second quarter and played tiddlywinks instead.

The Bills special teams had a chance to bleed some time off the clock at the end. They didn’t even cause it to go.

The Bills D had three chances on three consecutive drives to stop the Chiefs and didn’t.

The OT rules are fine. 

The OT rules are fine for the regular season, not the playoffs.  I have said to people since the KC/Pats game a couple of years ago that in the playoffs each team should possess the ball.  It's a bad look for the league when your MVP (the year it happened to Mahomes) and your arguably most exciting player (Josh this year) don't get a chance in OT in the playoffs.

The Bills aren't using the current rules as an excuse and they shouldn't, but that doesn't mean that the rules are fine.  For the playoffs the rule needs to be fixed.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

As the rules have changed over the years giving the offenses an advantage, it’s only fair to give each team an opportunity on offenses. A count toss should never be the most important aspect of the OT period like it was last night. 

• Like (+1) 2

Play the entire overtime period, involve all aspects of a team offense/defense/special teams

For the playoffs at least. No reason you shouldn't play the entire extra period

Bills fan or not. I don't think there was a single person watching that game that didn't want to see more allen vs mahomes going toe to toe 

• Agree 1

Maybe make it the current rules, but the team receiving the 1st half kickoff gets the overtime possession.  That way, the teams know going in and can plan accordingly.  It could also add a slight advantage to receiving in the 1st half as opposed to the Belichick double-dip strategy at halftime.

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone knew that the coin toss winner was going to win the game, but that's not the reason the Bills lost.  They failed to effectivetively manage 13 seconds.  If the rules change for the better, I'm fine with it, but despite my mental anguish about last night's game, the OT rules are not what's bothering me.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

As the rules have changed over the years giving the offenses an advantage, it’s only fair to give each team an opportunity on offenses. A count toss should never be the most important aspect of the OT period like it was last night. 

My thinking as well. You can't enact every measure possible to give offenses immense advantages over the defenses and then only allow one team to have those advantages in OT by not giving both offenses a chance.

Again, I have believed this for a while now. This is not a knee jerk reaction to last night

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The OT rules are fine. 

Your first several points can be said for every team that has ever gone to OT.  “The team could’ve avoided OT and won the game in regulation”.  But that has nothing to do with the question at hand.  

Some games DO go to overtime.  OT exists, the NFL should be obligated to making the OT period as fair as possible.  A COIN TOSS should not carry as much weight as it does.  In a league catered to the offense, each offense should have an opportunity.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Or more precisely fix did not work first time.  When the doctor "fixes" it this way usually there is a suit asking for money to support,

Three best ways to fix NFL overtime after Chiefs' wild playoff win over Bills brings OT rules under scrutiny

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-conference-championship-games-dates-times-previews-early-odds-for-chiefs-vs-bengals-rams-vs-49ers/

How to fix?  CBS writer had 3 ideas.

The team that gets the first possession and wins outright like last night happens 19.4% of the time.

The team that gets the first possession wins overall 52.6% of the time.

Not allowing the other team a possession when a FG was scored was broken as kicking 50+ yard FGs has become almost commonplace, particularly indoors.  Yeah it stings that the Bills D sucked so bad last night, but it is meant to be sudden death, not lingering death. It ain't broke IMO, so don't "fix" it.

• Like (+1) 1

Regular season: 1 10-minute overtime period, played to its completion.  Any tries must be 2 point conversions.  If it's tied after 10 minutes, it's a tie.

Postseason: 10-minute overtime periods, played to their completion.  Any tries must be 2 point conversions.  If it's tied after 10 minutes, repeat.

As it stands right now, the NFL is akin to extra innings without a guarantee of a bottom half of the inning.  Sure, you could argue that "pitching matters" and so whoever scores first should win.  But it completely ignores the reality of today's NFL where the offense is handed every single advantage.  The coin toss matters too much.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

25 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The OT rules are fine. 

They are terrible in the postseason because the best offenses make the postseason and the rules vastly favor the offense now. For a midseason Jags-Giants game, they are fine because the offenses are mediocre at best. In the postseason, we've seen time after time episodes of elite QBs slicing and dicing an exhausted defense and winning easily in an opening drive. Seattle vs. GB in 2014. Arizona vs. Green Bay in 2015. NE vs. Atlanta in 2016. NE vs. KC in 2018. And now KC vs. Buffalo in 2021.  The rule sucks.

7 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Regular season: 1 10-minute overtime period, played to its completion.  Any tries must be 2 point conversions.  If it's tied after 10 minutes, it's a tie.

Postseason: 10-minute overtime periods, played to their completion.  Any tries must be 2 point conversions.  If it's tied after 10 minutes, repeat.

As it stands right now, the NFL is akin to extra innings without a guarantee of a bottom half of the inning.  Sure, you could argue that "pitching matters" and so whoever scores first should win.  But it completely ignores the reality of today's NFL where the offense is handed every single advantage.  The coin toss matters too much.

Great post. Agree fully.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

Sorry guys,

I don’t think this thread exists IF we won the coin flip yesterday.

We lost this game in regulation after Josh won it for us twice.

If, Josh scored a TD in OT under your “ new rules” we still lose because KC easily scores on their next possession. When is enough enough?

Edited by Buffalo Boy

Cowherd made a great point on his show.  If you change the OT in the playoffs you likely extend the OT and that isn't fair to the winner who then has to play a week later. More chances for injury and simply exhausting a team.  As it is KC has a day less then Cincy to prepare.

I would make a simple change: Each team gets one possession.  Who ever has the most points after they each get the ball wins.  If they're tied it goes to sudden death.  For last nights game and assuming the Bills score a TD on their drive they could opt to go for 2 to win the game.  It would have been compelling TV.

Let's say they change the rules so each team gets a possession even if a TD is scored.

Mahomes and the Chiefs scored a TD after winning the toss. Then the Bills do the same. Chiefs get the ball again then score another TD.

My point is what is the point of changing the rules if that's the case? We weren't stopping them and if anything the coin toss is what matters and you obviously can't change that.

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Cowherd made a great point on his show.  If you change the OT in the playoffs you likely extend the OT and that isn't fair to the winner who then has to play a week later. More chances for injury and simply exhausting a team.  As it is KC has a day less then Cincy to prepare.

I would make a simple change: Each team gets one possession.  Who ever has the most points after they each get the ball wins.  If they're tied it goes to sudden death.  For last nights game and assuming the Bills score a TD on their drive they could opt to go for 2 to win the game.  It would have been compelling TV.

That's a ridiculous point from Cowherd. It's the penalty you pay for not actually winning in regulation. What's most important is the integrity of the game at hand, not what might or might not happen as it pertains to seven days later. Jeez.

• Disagree 1

44 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The OT rules are fine. 

Sadly this is all true. If the Bills didn't run 3 straight times they walk away with at least 3 if not more 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That's a ridiculous point from Cowherd. It's the penalty you pay for not actually winning in regulation. What's most important is the integrity of the game at hand, not what might or might not happen as it pertains to seven days later. Jeez.

I disagree why should two great teams be penalized for being tied at the end of regulation?  Would it have been fair if last night the Chiefs/Bills played two extra quarters?  As it is Cncy has an extra day of rest & prep.  You have to have some way to ensure the game ends quickly.  That's why I like each team getting one possession and after that it's sudden death and the luck of the draw.

7 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I disagree why should two great teams be penalized for being tied at the end of regulation?  Would it have been fair if last night the Chiefs/Bills played two extra quarters?  As it is Cncy has an extra day of rest & prep.  You have to have some way to ensure the game ends quickly.  That's why I like each team getting one possession and after that it's sudden death and the luck of the draw.

I just think that extends the problem in that whoever has it first on a second possession still doesn't have to face an answer. I just looked it up: going back to 2011, there have been 9 OT playoff games. 6 of those games have ended with the coin flip winner scoring a TD on the opening drive (Denver/Pitt in 2011, Seattle/GB in 2014, Arizona/GB in 2015, NE/Atlanta in 2016, NE/KC in 2019, Minnesota/New Orleans in 2019, and KC/Buffalo in 2021). The non-opening TD games were NYG/SF in 2011, LA/NO in 2018, and Houston/Bills in 2019.  When the coin flip winner gets it 67 percent of the time, those ain't good odds for the loser. All of this is exacerbated by the fact that the postseason features elite QBs who can dissect tired defenses in a way that Tua or Tyler Heinecke (for instance) can't. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

so…..it’s ok to put a team at a disadvantage by scheduling…..but it’s not ok to try and make OT fair for both teams involved…..just so they can continue to schedule advantages?  

If the NFL we’re trying to maintain fairness, once they changed rules of their game to benefit the offense, they should’ve made changes to ensure both offenses get an opportunity in OT.  The initial change was an improvement, but not enough.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Maybe make it the current rules, but the team receiving the 1st half kickoff gets the overtime possession.  That way, the teams know going in and can plan accordingly.  It could also add a slight advantage to receiving in the 1st half as opposed to the Belichick double-dip strategy at halftime.

I was gonna say something like this…maybe you automatically win the toss in OT after losing the first toss 

Just now, NewEra said:

so…..it’s ok to put a team at a disadvantage by scheduling…..but it’s not ok to try and make OT fair for both teams involved…..just so they can continue to schedule advantages?  

If the NFL we’re trying to maintain fairness, once they changed rules of their game to benefit the offense, they should’ve made changes to ensure both offenses get an opportunity in OT.  The initial change was an improvement, but not enough.  

I'm okay with giving each team a possession in OT.  I just think that if it's still tied at the end of that possession practical issues come into play.  An this means that there will have to be a point where to end the game some one will not be treated fairly.  I don't see an alternative because if you make it a whole quarter the potential for some of these games going on for multiple extra quarters is very real.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The OT rules are fine. 

The overtime rule can be terrible and in need of replacing, even if it had nothing to do with last night's loss.

Tons of people have brought up this argument---and it's totally irrelevant to the issue.

I can't believe how many Bills fans seem "just fine" with how the game ended.

In a game like that, the team that won the coin toss was going to win the game.

Our defense was UTTERLY SPENT in OT--it looked like they didn't even try.

Leave the Bills out of it---why would you want an epic playoff game to be decided by a coin toss?

They should play a 10 minute quarter and any and all scoring counts.

The game ends at the end of 10 minutes.

If there is no winner at the end of 10 minutes, you play another 10 minute quarter.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'm okay with giving each team a possession in OT.  I just think that if it's still tied at the end of that possession practical issues come into play.  An this means that there will have to be a point where to end the game some one will not be treated fairly.  I don't see an alternative because if you make it a whole quarter the potential for some of these games going on for multiple extra quarters is very real.

Also, if the Chiefs score a touchdown, say and get the PAC.  The Bills get the ball, drive down for a TD... They have the ability to go for 2 for the win.  Its in their hands.  I think its a fair chance.  Then do the sudden-death maybe.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I hear ya.  I agree with that.  Maybe enforce going for 2 on every TD in OT.  I’m sure they can figure something out.  As it currently sits, there’s too much riding on a flip of the coin.  As @dave mcbride researched for us, 67% of the coin flip winners have won the playoff OT games. 

The coin flip is way to big of a determination factor and must be changed….but I won’t be holding my breath

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

The OT rules are fine. 

*****in' A, Bubba!

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The overtime rule can be terrible and in need of replacing, even if it had nothing to do with last night's loss.

Tons of people have brought up this argument---and it's totally irrelevant to the issue.

I can't believe how many Bills fans seem "just fine" with how the game ended.

In a game like that, the team that won the coin toss was going to win the game.

Our defense was UTTERLY SPENT in OT--it looked like they didn't even try.

Leave the Bills out of it---why would you want an epic playoff game to be decided by a coin toss?

They should play a 10 minute quarter and any and all scoring counts.

The game ends at the end of 10 minutes.

If there is no winner at the end of 10 minutes, you play another 10 minute quarter.

Show me who this mythical fan is who was fine with last nights ending.

It ended fairly. Chance is chance and I accept that. 
    There’s an old MA saying, “ The time to strike is when the opportunity presents itself.” 
    We squandered our opportunities.

I believe it is important to place blame where it belongs. The coaches, McD, Daboll and Frazier all share in that blame. The OT rules share none.

This is crying over the proverbial spilt milk when it is convenient to do so.   
  I repeat,This thread doesn’t exist and we aren’t having this argument if we won the toss and JA scored a TD…… am I wrong on that last point?

58 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya.  I agree with that.  Maybe enforce going for 2 on every TD in OT.  I’m sure they can figure something out.  As it currently sits, there’s too much riding on a flip of the coin.  As @dave mcbride researched for us, 67% of the coin flip winners have won the playoff OT games. 

The coin flip is way to big of a determination factor and must be changed….but I won’t be holding my breath

67 percent won on the opening drive. Of the other three games, the team that got the ball first (Houston vs. Buffalo and the Giants vs. SF) won in OT. Basically, they had one extra possession than the other team. So 8 out of 9 -- 89 percent -- benefitted from winning the coin toss. 

How people posting on this thread who support the current rules can look past this is beyond me.

2 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Agreed, Bills win the toss and the game in the same way and this thread does not exist.

It's not about just this game, although if we were the beneficiaries we'd thank our lucky stars for a lucky coin toss. It's the fact that 2/3 of of playoff games over the past decade plus have ended with only one team getting the ball and with the coin flip winner winning 89 percent of the time.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.