Bojo cost the Packers the game...Beane was right?

hmsmystic

It wasn't that Bojo had a punt blocked- it's that he muffled a hold on an easy field goal that blocked.

Haack had a terrible game a few weeks ago and got ripped.  Seemed kind of silly to get a punter whose specialty was holding.  However here we are- maybe Bean was right and knew something after all!?

Let's see tonight- Go Bills!

Edited by hmsmystic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hmsmystic said:

It wasn't that Bojo had a punt blocked- it's that he muffled a hold on an easy field goal that blocked.

Haack had a terrible game a few weeks ago and got ripped.  Seemed kind of silly to get a punter whose specialty was holding.  However here we are- maybe Bean was right and knew something after all!?

From Beane's own comments the Bills wanted to bring him back and it seemed like they couldn't agree on a contract. Dodged a bullet there.

Edited by No Place To Hyde
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, hmsmystic said:

He ended Crosby’s career

• Agree 3

While Bojo had a ton of bad holds over the season, the one last night wasn't one of them. A defender came in nearly unabated.

On the punt, it did look like he hesitated or took an extra step, but again, a defender broke the line pretty easily.

But yeah, I'm glad he refused the Bills' offer, based solely on the regular season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

Maybe if the line blocked someone, he would have got the punt off.  The line also blocked horribly on the blocked FG.

Packers O only scoring 10 points is the reason they lost. 

Hilarious how people blame the punter when the line is 100% at fault.

If Bojo dropped the snap like our "Hack" did, then yea that's all on the punter.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Bojo was supposed to be the 11th man on the field for SF game winning kick too, right?

No kicker would have not been blocked on the FG, maybe another punter gets the kick off on that block, but still poor blocking.

The fact the packers had only 10 men on the field for the final kick just shows it was a team effort screw up.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Can’t pin it all on one play.

Yes, that's true.  It's always true. 

But looking at it that way tends to obscure the point about Bojo, which is important.   It's a team game, and wins are the product of a collection of about 100 people, players, coaches and others, all doing their jobs.  Learn your job, perfect your craft, do it cooperatively.  

It's rarely about one play or one player, but it is about having the right players.   Bill Polian and Marv Levy moved on from Ron Harmon for the same reason Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott moved on from Bojo. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Their offense was terrible.  Can’t pin it all on one play. Reminded me of our week 1 game vs Steelers 

that said their ST has been really bad all year and weaknesses typically get magnified in playoff games 

Fans love to pin outcomes of games on 1 play, and frequently do! 

GB could do nothing all game long; if/when Rodgers leaves for a better run organization, we'll know why.

37 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Their offense was terrible.  Can’t pin it all on one play. Reminded me of our week 1 game vs Steelers 

that said their ST has been really bad all year and weaknesses typically get magnified in playoff games 

Well....we're pinning it on 2 plays, the blocked punt, the  blocked FG

But to be fair, was the blocked FG on Bojo's hold?  Was it really a muffed hold?  I honestly couldn't tell from the broadcast.  I saw a defender coming unblocked.  And I put the blocked punt on the blocking as well.

Frankly, the Packers just didn't play well across the board last night.  It's very telling that at some point early in the 2nd half, Aikman commented that Rodgers had yet to target a WR not named "Adams", and their TE were NOT helping him out. 

This is not to absolve Bojo, but he was only part of a team-wide problem

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Blame the kicker for the supposed MVP favorite QB playing poorly in the playoffs 

Oye 

When you're right, you're right

To exculpate Rodgers a bit, he did not have a lot of open targets downfield and he found TE downfield a few times and they didn't haul it in.

SF D played well, but I loathed and hated to see Garappolo win that.  Even Aikman was commenting on how many dangerous throws that should have been intercepted Jimmy was making.

• Agree 1

A blocked punt for a TD is a play that usually stands out. Bojo was not getting the ball off quick at all during the game. He had a very good punt early on and that's when I noticed that. It's only one play but that can be a dagger as we all know from week 1.

Edited by Beast

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

SF D played well, but I loathed and hated to see Garappolo win that.  Even Aikman was commenting on how many dangerous throws that should have been intercepted Jimmy was making.

I am not a Garappolo fan but he has come up clutch in 3 straight games now. When the game was on the line he was clutch. Matt Stafford, Dak Prescott, and Aaron Rodgers were not. 

6 minutes ago, Evian said:

You score 10 points at home and you deserve to lose.

Or six points against the Jaguars on the road.  

If you want to be a winner, your offense always has to find a way to put points up.   The Packers' offense couldn't.   Credit the 49er defense.  They stifled the Pack.  Just like the Pack shut down the 49er offense.

That's why, as the commentators said, the game was decided by special teams.  That's where the plays were made that won and lost the game. 

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

38 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Maybe if the line blocked someone, he would have got the punt off.  The line also blocked horribly on the blocked FG.

If Bojo dropped the snap like our "Hack" did, then yea that's all on the punter.

Spot on. This loss falls on AR and coaches. SF had no business winning essentially generating 2 fg’s. Ok with me as Bills would match up nicely vs Jimmy G. I feel today’s winner of Bills game wins SB. 

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

From Beane's own comments the Bills wanted to bring him back and it seemed like they couldn't agree on a contract. Dodged a bullet there.

Really?  Haha. You can’t be serious. Bojo is WAY better than our current punter. He’s been one of the best punters in the league this year and gets one punt blocked and now we “dodged a bullet”?  SMH…

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 4

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Really?  Haha. You can’t be serious. Bojo is WAY better than our current punter. He’s been one of the best punters in the league this year and gets one punt blocked and now we “dodged a bullet”?  SMH…

More to the punter's job than kicking a ball. Ask Mason Crosby how his season went.

Haack wasn't perfect by any means, however the game everyone likes to nail him for (Jets game at home) BOTH punters had an issue kicking to 1 side all game due to wind. 

Bojo has that BIG leg....and often put kicks his coverage. But I'm sure that doesn't matter at all, either.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Evian said:

Special teams did not lose them the game. Their big time players on offense not showing up lost them the game.

The Packers scored 10 points. You score 10 points at home and you deserve to lose.

I mean there's a lot of that "you (do this) and you deserve to lose" floating around that game

Jimmy Garoppolo was 11/19 for 131 yds with 0 TD and 1 INT.  That's a stat line in the playoffs where you deserve to lose.

Packers RB Aaron Jones inexplicably veered *towards* a defender where arguably if he had put his head down and tried to turn on the afterburners he could have scored another TD.

The defense gets paid too, and the 49ers have a top-10 defense both for points, and for NY/A passing.  They're like 6th in the league for sacks.

The Packers had more yards, more TOP, more 1st downs, more 3rd down conversions and better 3rd down conversion %, more yards per play, equal penalties and fewer penalty yards.  But all these things were very close.  TO were equal, except for the blocked punt.

In the end, the 49ers made a few more completions/runs when they needed to, and the Pack had a few more bad plays - including the 2 on ST.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To exculpate Rodgers a bit, he did not have a lot of open targets downfield and he found TE downfield a few times and they didn't haul it in.

I watched Rodgers walking off the field, looking around the stadium, and I wondered, like a lot of people were wondering, whether he was taking in the sights and sounds of Lambeau for the last time.  We all know he's from California, we all know he's got an ego, and we all know he's in-your-face demanding of his teammates.  I imagined him thinking "F*** this cold, f*** this food, f*** these guys not getting open and dropping perfect passes.  Davante and I are going someplace warm."  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

If you want to be a winner, your offense always has to find a way to put points up.   The Packers' offense couldn't.   Credit the 49er defense.  They stifled the Pack.  Just like the Pack shut down the 49er offense.

That's why, as the commentators said, the game was decided by special teams.  That's where the plays were made that won and lost the game. 

I get it in a 27-24 loss, but when you score 10 points, your offense lost you the game. Simple as that  

48 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Haack dropped the punt but we still won the game...Packers offense to blame..

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Disagree---you can single out any handful of plays and say that's the difference.

Maybe the game was lost on a crucial 3rd or 4th down when GB failed to get the 1st down, keep the drive alive, and go on to score a TD.

It's just that some plays jump out as more obvious than others--but all are equally important.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean there's a lot of that "you (do this) and you deserve to lose" floating around that game

Jimmy Garoppolo was 11/19 for 131 yds with 0 TD and 1 INT.  That's a stat line in the playoffs where you deserve to lose.

I don't believe "a team deserved to lose" if they win the game. Winning is all that matters. 

I do believe in placing blame for losing. The Packers lost and deserved to lose because the offense did not show up. Points and wins/losses are the only stats that matter in the playoffs. The Packers failed in both.

2 minutes ago, Evian said:

I get it in a 27-24 loss, but when you score 10 points, your offense lost you the game. Simple as that  

In some ways, it's semantics, but it's real, do.  Did the Bills offense lose the AFC championship game last season, or did the Chiefs defense.  

This isn't Madden.  It's real players with real strengths and weaknesses on both sides of the ball on both teams.  Sometimes the defense is just better than the opponent's offense.   Yes, you can say the offense should have done something different, but the offense doesn't always have the right different thing to do.  

The Packers offense, which has been incredible lately, didn't all of a sudden forget how to do all the things they'd been so well.  The 'Niners, and the weather, stopped them.  

57 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

While Bojo had a ton of bad holds over the season, the one last night wasn't one of them. A defender came in nearly unabated.

On the punt, it did look like he hesitated or took an extra step, but again, a defender broke the line pretty easily.

But yeah, I'm glad he refused the Bills' offer, based solely on the regular season.

Agreed. Bojo is more of a bad luck charm, than anything else. Wouldn’t blame the missed FG or blocked punt on him. 

1 hour ago, hmsmystic said:

Couldn't disagree with you more. Bojo had the perfect hold on the blocked FG. The problem was the untouched 49er player. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I watched Rodgers walking off the field, looking around the stadium, and I wondered, like a lot of people were wondering, whether he was taking in the sights and sounds of Lambeau for the last time.  We all know he's from California, we all know he's got an ego, and we all know he's in-your-face demanding of his teammates.  I imagined him thinking "F*** this cold, f*** this food, f*** these guys not getting open and dropping perfect passes.  Davante and I are going someplace warm."  

Oh, Rodgers is definitely gone.  It's the Jordan Love era now.  Davante Adams will be gone as well.  And Matt Lafleur will be out of a job in a year's time.

Edited by Doc

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.