Field goals and potential for more 4th down calls on Saturday night

Toyo321

I really believe that it is going to a bad night to kick field goals if it's going to be almost 0🌡️ out, with possible 10mph winds.

I think this will be a major factor into calls on 4th down and the field position too, especially when a long field goal might be very tough to come by in this game.

I really think we will see more going for it on 4th down if the field goal distance 50yds or more.

Anyway to keep Haack off the field, the better!!

Personally hope that we put up 7 on every drive but that is only wishful thinking.

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

I really believe that it is going to a bad night to kick field goals if it's going to be almost 0🌡️ out, with possible 10mph winds.

I think this will be a major factor into calls on 4th down and the field position too, especially when a long field goal might be very tough to come by in this game.

I really think we will see more going for it on 4th down if the field goal distance 50yds or more.

Personally hope that we put up 7 on every drive but that is only wishful thinking.

If we get to the 35 say and it’s 4th and 10 in a close game we could bring out Haack.  He can shank a 20 yarder and pin them deep!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

The ball is like a rock when it is really cold.  More difficult to throw, catch, hold onto, snap and kick.

Punt, run with, spike, spindle, multilate, staple, lateral, shovel, sneak, intercept, recover too!

1 hour ago, Toyo321 said:

Low temperatures = low humidity = less resistance on the ball while in the air.  10mph winds for the Bass-o-matic is not that much.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Toyo321 said:

Lol that is the best time to kick field goals...

I'm no physicist, but the football should theoretically lose air in such cold weather which would make it easier to catch. The issue is when it's that cold, the air is so dry and that makes the ball more slippery. Josh needs to keep his hands lubed up

Edited by Steptide
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

I just get the feeling that at some point in the postseason Bass is going to be called upon to deliver on a critical FG to either win or tie a game late.

So for all the hype of him being a great young kicker in this league it may come full circle as soon as this weekend.

so is the assumption here that's he'll suddenly ***** the bed?

2 minutes ago, teef said:

so is the assumption here that's he'll suddenly ***** the bed?

No of course not, but I would hate to see him miss a critical FG this early in his career that prevents this team from advancing in the playoffs.

Hopefully that scenario doesn't happen though.

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

No of course not, but I would hate to see him miss a critical FG this early in his career that prevents this team from advancing in the playoffs.

Hopefully that scenario doesn't happen though.

why is it that you're the only one who even considers that scenario?  why is it that every one of your posts have a doomsday scenario to them?  agian, have fun with it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, teef said:

why is it that you're the only one who even considers that scenario?  why is it that every one of your posts have a doomsday scenario to them?  agian, have fun with it.

How abysmal is that fella's life that trolling fans on a message board is somehow a gratifying endeavor? 

4 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

If it’s too windy to kick the FG from the 40, based on Haacks performance last week, this might be perfect.  We could probably pin them deep at like their own…21 yards line if he really gets ahold of it. 

3 hours ago, mabden said:

Low temperatures = low humidity = less resistance on the ball while in the air.  10mph winds for the Bass-o-matic is not that much.  

LOL.  You sound like someone who has absolutely never kicked a football in extremely cold weather, and didn't pay attention in school either.

Humid air is actually much less dense than dry air.

The molecules "fatten up" with humidity and so they can't bunch up against each other tightly and spread out more. 

A kicker would, in theory, want to be kicking in extremely humid (and hot) air.

5 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

I doubt it. The ball will be harder but they do a good job of keeping kicking balls warmer on the sidelines. 

Winds are light and variable which by definition means close to no wind to about 5mph. Wind will be 0 factor.

Your premise does not hold water.

4 hours ago, mabden said:

Yea I’m not sure where the fear of the cold is coming from…it’s just as much an issue for a team that likes to run the football as it is a team that likes to throw if not more so.  

16 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

LOL.  You sound like someone who has absolutely never kicked a football in extremely cold weather, and didn't pay attention in school either.

The molecules "fatten up" with humidity and so they can't bunch up against each other tightly and spread out more. 

I don’t think it’s as big of a deal as the OP made it out to be but obviously you’ve got the science behind it.  It’s a kicker standing next to a heater all night kicking a mostly warm ball 

1 hour ago, teef said:

Why would I be the only one considering that scenario?  Every game is going to be close in the playoffs and fans that think this team is going to blowout the Patriots (or any other team if they advance) haven't been paying attention apparently.

So the point is there is a very distinct possibility this game comes down Bass leg which is the topic of discussion in this thread.

Never forgot that in the only SB the Bills were competitive that game also came down to a FG....

• Like (+1) 1

I am just saying lately wind has been a issue every other day as of late, and these stupid weather forecasters have been all over the place with the forecasts.  When it gets really cold around Zero it is much harder to kick a ball 50 yards in the air.  Yeah it's based on air density.  Even if you have a cannon for a leg.

I just hope the wind stays mild in this game.  It would be a huge benefit for Buffalo.

Go Bills....

Edited by Toyo321

9 hours ago, Warcodered said:

10mph winds? that doesn't seem like much at all.

It’s not about the winds it’s about the temperature of the air.  Cold air is more dense and therefore will negatively affect the distance of punts and FG kicks.  This is why aircraft can takeoff on a short runway in cold conditions, the air is denser.  

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I doubt it. The ball will be harder but they do a good job of keeping kicking balls warmer on the sidelines. 

Winds are light and variable which by definition means close to no wind to about 5mph. Wind will be 0 factor.

Your premise does not hold water.

This is 100% scientifically false.  Higher air density equals higher drag which will indeed effect the distance a ball travels.  

Edited by Weatherman

17 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

It’s not about the winds it’s about the temperature of the air.  Cold air is more dense and therefore will negatively affect the distance of punts and FG kicks.  This is why aircraft can takeoff on a short runway in cold conditions, the air is denser.  

This is 100% scientifically false.  Higher air density equals higher drag which will indeed effect the distance a ball travels.  

The average is 3 yards of distance, virtually insignificant unless they are kicking a 60 yard FG.

The much bigger issue is the ball becomes slippery and temps below freezing result in 42% more turnovers on average than warm weather games and for temps below 20, add an additional 10%...meaning there will be a 52% greater chance for turnovers in the game...by far a bigger potential issue than 3 yards of distance on kicks.

25 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The average is 3 yards of distance, virtually insignificant unless they are kicking a 60 yard FG.

The much bigger issue is the ball becomes slippery and temps below freezing result in 42% more turnovers on average than warm weather games and for temps below 20, add an additional 10%...meaning there will be a 52% greater chance for turnovers in the game...by far a bigger potential issue than 3 yards of distance on kicks.

I’m not sure where you’re getting the 3 yards from.  This would a pretty complex problem to solve due to the amount of variables.  All I can tell you is temperature will have a noticeable impact on the distance a football travels.

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

yeah I was going to say… I watch a lot of baseball, and the announcers always talk about how the ball will be “flying out of the park” on hot and humid days.

17 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I’m not sure where you’re getting the 3 yards from.  This would a pretty complex problem to solve due to the amount of variables.  All I can tell you is temperature will have a noticeable impact on the distance a football travels.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-cold-temperatures-affect-games-2020/

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That’s pretty vague but at least drives the point home.  They don’t define what temperature mode or range is that they are using to create an average.  I would assume at the same elevation, wind, humidity, a FG distance would be significantly decreased with an ambient temp of 10F as a-posed to 40F.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.