Josh Allen's 2021 Rushing Numbers

jwhit34

Some highlights:

• 117 attempts for 700 yards, 6.0/carry is impressive enough, but take away the 10 kneel downs for -10 yards and it's 107/710/6.6
  • Runs for first downs: Allen has 51, Singletary has 40. On the receiving side only Diggs' 60 is higher, #2 receiving is Beasley with 33
  • Plays of 20 yards or more: Allen has 8 of the 16 runs for 20 or more, only Singletary has more than 1 (he has 5), receiving wise Digg and Davis have 12, Sanders 10, they are the only ones higher
  • TDs running or receiving only Diggs and Knox are higher at 9, Allen, Davis and Singletary tied with 6
  • 700 rushing yards is 16th all time for QBs, though this year he is behind both Hurts and Jackson

While many worry about the injury risk, it sure seems the Bills give themselves a way better chance of going deep into the playoffs if Allen runs a lot. Listening to some national broadcasts it seems that the main concern is that the Bills have figured out the more they put the ball in his hands either passing or running the more dangerous the Bills are. 

• Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

We are playing a really risky game exposing Josh to hits to win games. Brady and Rodgers spent their careers staying in the pocket and throwing away to live another day. Yes, it’s exciting and effective, but one rolled up ankle and our SB run is over. We need to learn to be productive with our RBs. 

I think it's been pretty well established at this point that more QBs are injured in the pocket than while rushing. There is just no data to suggest that quarterbacks that run the ball a lot get injured more frequently than quarterbacks who stay in the pocket.

Really the ONLY legitimate arrow in the bow for the "we run him too much!" crowd is the downfall of Cam Newton. And in fairness, that's a legitimate worry, in my opinion. Long term physical breakdown due to taking too many hits is a real concern. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I think it's been pretty well established at this point that more QBs are injured in the pocket than while rushing. There is just no data to suggest that quarterbacks that run the ball a lot get injured more frequently than quarterbacks who stay in the pocket.

Really the ONLY legitimate arrow in the bow for the "we run him too much!" crowd is the downfall of Cam Newton. And in fairness, that's a legitimate worry, in my opinion. Long term physical breakdown due to taking too many hits is a real concern. 

It’s more established because fewer QBs run and more plays are from the pocket. If every QB ran with the frequency of Josh that wouldn’t be the case. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

Cam Newton was also never close to the passer Josh is. God forbid Josh gets to the point where he can’t run like he does now, he’s still an unbelievable pocket passer and would adjust as needed. 

I’m not advocating that we continue to run Josh into the ground. I want a beefed up offensive line and legit run game as much as anyone on here. 

I just feel like the Cam Newton/Josh Allen comparisons are worn out. Josh is WAY more well rounded than Cam ever was. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

It’s more established because fewer QBs run and more plays are from the pocket. If every QB ran with the frequency of Josh that wouldn’t be the case. 

Also, Josh has been hurt three times (elbow, concussion, foot) all running. 

14 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Also, Josh has been hurt three times (elbow, concussion, foot) all running. 

Quinn, without looking it up I thought Josh hurt his elbow in the pocket against Houston in his rookie year 2018 after completing a deep pass IIRC…

[Edit: yes that was in the pocket 

https://amp.democratandchronicle.com/amp/1642420002 ]

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Quinn, without looking it up I thought Josh hurt his elbow in the pocket against Houston in his rookie year 2018 after completing a deep pass IIRC…

I believe you are correct - the elbow injury against the Houston was when he was moving around behind the line of scrimmage - don't think that falls under the running category, at least not in my mind.  Josh is a big boy and that really helps - it's not like he's a scrawny dude.

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

Allen also is so big that he takes hits pretty well.  Still, it's inevitable that he will slow down over the next few years, and that his potential for injury will increase.  He will run less in the future, both to avoid injury and because he won't be as effective running.  

Elway, the guy I think Allen is most like, never had 600-700 yard seasons, but he stayed pretty constantly above 200 throughout his career.   I expect Allen will settle down into 200-300 yard seasons after a few more years. 

In the meantime, however, he is a devastating weapon on the field, and the Bills would be foolish not to take advantage of his talents. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

It's been fun watching him run these first 4 years but that has to change soon.

They need to fix the OL and get some more explosiveness........and maybe size.........in the receiving corps.

Diggs and Beasley's yards per target are down a whopping 40% this year.........the Bills 20+ yard pass plays have fallen off a ton from 66 in 2020 to 49 in 2021........and the Bills average yards per pass attempt(6.9) is tied for 21st  in the NFL same as the Colts and Titans.

Need to make the offensive side of the football their focus this offseason..........and I don't mean draftin' a RB in round 1..........they need blocking and big play receiving targets to get away from Allen needing to run the ball to extend drives because of their significantly less punchy passing attack.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

21 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Allen also is so big that he takes hits pretty well.  Still, it's inevitable that he will slow down over the next few years, and that his potential for injury will increase.  He will run less in the future, both to avoid injury and because he won't be as effective running.  

Elway, the guy I think Allen is most like, never had 600-700 yard seasons, but he stayed pretty constantly above 200 throughout his career.   I expect Allen will settle down into 200-300 yard seasons after a few more years. 

In the meantime, however, he is a devastating weapon on the field, and the Bills would be foolish not to take advantage of his talents. 

Agreed on the likely trajectory of Allen's career as it relates to rushing.

Already, Allen scrambling has become much more of a Plan B for this offensive coaching staff. I think they've done everything they can the first few years of his career to make sure he develops well as a pocket passer -- which he has -- and that he can win games with that as his primary mode of attack. 

However, when things get stagnant on offense, or they need a spark, or the weather is rotten, or things aren't humming in the passing game, it's "all systems go" for Allen, who sometimes looks like a starting running back out there (did you see his stiff-arm yesterday? Yikes).

I don't get the impression from the coaching staff or from Allen that they want him running the ball 10 times a game if they can help it. It's a little bit more of a "crunch time" weapon or "break glass in case of emergency" tool.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

[Edit: yes that was in the pocket 

https://amp.democratandchronicle.com/amp/1642420002 ]

I just watched the replay. I honestly don’t even remember that. I thought he was slammed down. 

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

It looks to me like Allen is much better this year in when he runs and how he runs. I think he is very cognizant of not giving himself up to a big hit and, honestly, I don't remember too many runs this year where I thought he should have been smarter about it.

With that said, I would rather it be much more infrequent and that this team had a running game that was productive and consistent.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

It's just common sense.

No data does not equal not true.

• Disagree 1

I love watching him run.  I hate watching him run.

If I knew he could stay healthy and that it wouldn't shorten his career to keep giving him as much of the offensive load as he's been getting, I'd be all for it.  I can't imagine that there is a guy who gives DC's more vivid and lasting nightmares.

But I sincerely hope that the runs become more rare - or at least less physical.  He's really taking some hits out there.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

I love watching him run.  I hate watching him run.

Honestly, if the dude would just SLIDE the way Russell Wilson does, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The will and determination and X factor -- the very things that make Josh who he is and the reasons he's special -- are also the factors that won't seem to allow him to slide, instead always barreling into defenders for an extra two yards.

I have lost count of the amount of times I've yelled "Slide...SLIDE!!" at my screen over the past several weeks.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

We are playing a really risky game exposing Josh to hits to win games. Brady and Rodgers spent their careers staying in the pocket and throwing away to live another day. Yes, it’s exciting and effective, but one rolled up ankle and our SB run is over. We need to learn to be productive with our RBs. 

This team is indeed playing russian roulette every time he takes off and there were a few hits yesterday that could have caused a turnover and/or got him really hurt.

If anybody has payed attention to Cam Newton career trajectory, Allen is only going to have another 3 years or so left before he begins a steep decline unless a shift is forced in terms of him being a true passer like 2020.

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

You pull out all the stops in the playoffs, and these last couple of weeks are like playoff games because we needed them to make the playoffs and win the division.

Josh is a running QB. It's what he does. And he is amazing at it. You and everyone else need to get used to it. He is not Brady. He is not Rodgers.

Let Allen play his game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

This team is indeed playing russian roulette every time he takes off and there were a few hits yesterday that could have caused a turnover and/or got him really hurt.

Every team is playing Russian roulette every time their QB drops back to pass, period. Injuries are just as likely -- if not more so -- in the pocket than they are when running.

In fact, based on how our offensive line has been playing for most of the season, I like his chances better on the run than being a sitting duck back there. 

All the man needs to do is learn to freakin slide!

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Every team is playing Russian roulette every time their drops back to pass, period. Injuries are just as likely -- if not more so -- in the pocket than they are when running.

n fact, based on how our offensive line has been playing for most of the season, I like his chances better on the run than being a sitting duck back there. 

Yup.  Not in the pocket, per se, but Burrow almost busted up his leg (may have given himself a nagging leg injury heading into the playoffs) all off a simple QB sneak. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If anybody has payed attention to Cam Newton career trajectory, Allen is only going to have another 3 years or so left before he begins a steep decline unless a shift is forced in terms of him being a true passer like 2020.

Cam Newton was never a good passer. 

And the thing that really hurt Cam was  the number of hits in the pocket that teams got away with that would have been personal fouls on any other QB... 

I

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, SCBills said:

Yup.  Burrow almost busted up his leg, may have given himself a nagging leg injury heading into the playoffs, all off a simple QB sneak. 

His leg wasn’t causing him too many issues when he was dancing in the locker room post match!

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yup.  Not in the pocket, per se, but Burrow almost busted up his leg (may have given himself a nagging leg injury heading into the playoffs) all off a simple QB sneak. 

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

And the thing that really hurt Cam was  the number of hits in the pocket that teams got away with that would have been personal fouls on any other QB... 

Exactly. QB's get hit in the pocket and injured in the pocket all the time. Allen has gotten injured in the pocket.

Pick your poison. You might as well get some amazing plays that help your team, because the risk is there no matter what.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Exactly. QB's get hit in the pocket and injured in the pocket all the time. Allen has gotten injured in the pocket.

Pick your poison. You might as well get some amazing plays that help your team, because the risk is there no matter what.

I'm all in on drafting better interior Olineman and finding a dynamic rb for the future. But the only way the Bills are going to continue to win this season is running Allen when needed. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Logic said:

Every team is playing Russian roulette every time their drops back to pass, period. Injuries are just as likely -- if not more so -- in the pocket than they are when running.

n fact, based on how our offensive line has been playing for most of the season, I like his chances better on the run than being a sitting duck back there. 

It's not about the big injuries.......it's the game to game wear and tear.

The cumulative impact of lot's of strains, sprains and bruises to the entire body that only occur from all of these high impact hits running around.

Executing at a high level from the pocket involves a great deal of precision..........guys like Brady and Brees were able to keep their mechanics tight and have great longevity by keeping the mileage on their bodies to a minimum.

5 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Some highlights:

• 117 attempts for 700 yards, 6.0/carry is impressive enough, but take away the 10 kneel downs for -10 yards and it's 107/710/6.6
  • Runs for first downs: Allen has 51, Singletary has 40. On the receiving side only Diggs' 60 is higher, #2 receiving is Beasley with 33
  • Plays of 20 yards or more: Allen has 8 of the 16 runs for 20 or more, only Singletary has more than 1 (he has 5), receiving wise Digg and Davis have 12, Sanders 10, they are the only ones higher
  • TDs running or receiving only Diggs and Knox are higher at 9, Allen, Davis and Singletary tied with 6
  • 700 rushing yards is 16th all time for QBs, though this year he is behind both Hurts and Jackson

While many worry about the injury risk, it sure seems the Bills give themselves a way better chance of going deep into the playoffs if Allen runs a lot. Listening to some national broadcasts it seems that the main concern is that the Bills have figured out the more they put the ball in his hands either passing or running the more dangerous the Bills are. 

He's a freak and to win we need him to play like one...hopefully next year we won't he so dependent on him. 

45 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I

Cam still runs and moves well.  His shoulder issues I'm convinced are more because of his poor mechanics than just hits. 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Actually, that's not correct about Newton. His injury woes stem from passing plays. This is the hit by TJ Watt in November 2018 which completely messed up his shoulder: https://in.pinterest.com/pin/345721708892109451/ and https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/gm-report/a-timeline-of-the-cam-newton-saga.

Also, he said he screwed up his AC joint in his throwing shoulder in 2015 when trying to make a tackle after throwing a pick: https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/09/cam-newton-details-what-really-happened-with-the-health-of-his-shoulder/. The later 2018 injury was the far more serious one though. Anyway, his bad injuries that ruined his career came on throwing plays, not running plays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Need to make the offensive side of the football their focus this offseason..........and I don't mean draftin' a RB in round 1..........they need blocking and big play receiving targets to get away from Allen needing to run the ball to extend drives because of their significantly less punchy passing attack.

If they make upgrades to offensive talent, this would be a solid time to make a change at OC.  I don't get the impression Daboll is ever going to make better use of improved talent.  

And, it'd be an even more attractive job if the HC could commit to investing more on offense.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Some highlights:

What happed to Trubisky kneeling down?

I'd like to see Hyde in for kneeling since he seems to have great hands on a poor snap.

3 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

If every QB had physique of Josh Allen there would be less concern with QBs running.   Most QBs cannot stiff arm a defense lineman out of his way.

35 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

If they make upgrades to offensive talent, this would be a solid time to make a change at OC.  I don't get the impression Daboll is ever going to make better use of improved talent.  

And, it'd be an even more attractive job if the HC could commit to investing more on offense.

Be careful what you wish for. I don't Daboll is the greatest OC in the history of the game, mind you, but I do think he's above average. 

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Be careful what you wish for. I don't Daboll is the greatest OC in the history of the game, mind you, but I do think he's above average. 

The grass isn't always greener, but moving on isn't a knee-jerk reaction either.  Pursuing continuous improvement is not without a degree of risk, but I think we've seen peak Daboll and they need more from the OC.  As in, someone who doesn't get lost with the play-calling. 

I thought Allen was a more careful runner last year. Avoiding contact more and sliding early. This year it seems like there has been way more plays where Allen is trying to get every yard. That may be in part why his YPR is so much higher this year. But it would be nice to see Allen take care of himself a little in the regular season. In the playoffs? Screw it, go balls to the wall. 

I believe that the pocket is more dangerous for a QB with defenders falling and rolling into their legs (Theisman, Jim Kelly, Alex Smith) and blindside hits to ribs and back.  Russell Wilson smashed his thumb on a helmet and missed a month and Tua got his ribs cracked afer getting crushed by AJ.  I have noticed Josh do some smart things in the pocket to avoid injury.  A post throw hop to get his feet off the ground with OL/DL falling into his legs.  A short arm, flick of a throw to avoid an oncoming defender's helmet.  Josh seems rare with how he absorbs hits.  After the concussion hit, he ran off the field to the locker room.  After the foot thing vs. TB he was still ripping off big runs.  I think he does slide but mostly when he sees a bigger defender in his way and he is happy with the yards he got.  The littler DBs are like bowling pins to him.  Hurdling is one way to avoid them.  The worst one I can think of is the twisting tackle Bosa made last year.  It looked bad in the moment.

I think about are Brett Favre being addicted to pain killers because he needed them to play every week and Andrew Luck retiring early because of the constant cycle of injury, pain, surgery and rehab.  Another is Josh's first ever run while at Wyoming that broke his collar bone.  That's not likely to be the type of injury one would get in the pocket.  It's a brutal, brutal game that, as Doug Whaley clumsily said, humans shouldn't play.  Josh seems unaffected after most games.  Like he had been playing Frisbee at the park.  I know that can't be true.

On 1/4/2022 at 12:29 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I thought Allen was a more careful runner last year. Avoiding contact more and sliding early. This year it seems like there has been way more plays where Allen is trying to get every yard. That may be in part why his YPR is so much higher this year. But it would be nice to see Allen take care of himself a little in the regular season. In the playoffs? Screw it, go balls to the wall. 

I think he’s about the same in that regard when the situation calls for it…if he can pick up a crucial first down he is flying through the air lol so sad he came up inches short on that leap against the titans that would’ve been epic 

4 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think he’s about the same in that regard when the situation calls for it…if he can pick up a crucial first down he is flying through the air lol so sad he came up inches short on that leap against the titans that would’ve been epic 

Take the Patriots game for example though. On his long 25 yard run he could have gone down a lot earlier and not hit by anyone. Instead he gets tackled by two or three players. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.