4 Bills back from Covid

Dablitzkrieg

• Dablitzkrieg changed the title to 4 Bills back from Covid
3 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

With Davis and Beasley back and the game McK had last week it's going to be really interesting to see who gets how many snaps. 

Indeed. But it has varied a lot from game to game anyway. Sometimes according to the gameplan, sometimes just how it came about. I'm sure McK was designed to get more shots last game... but not THAT much. Sometimes it happens. WRs are stacked for the Bills.

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Agree, do keep in mind McKenzie’s wins were almost entirely man coverage, wonder how he does reading zone.

Not only man...but the majority of his work was outside the hashmarks as well...whereas Beasley normally produces closer to the hashmarks. Real possibility IMO we see Beasley and McK in the field together some as well attacking different layers of the defense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

With Davis and Beasley back and the game McK had last week it's going to be really interesting to see who gets how many snaps. 

Assuming Davis is healthy, he should be starting and getting the lion’s share of the snaps over the aging prophet.  Beasley will get his spot back, he’s the vet, he’s shown for years he has what it takes to win on a consistent basis, but I sure hope McK keeps getting snaps, he’s not Tyreek Hill, but he sure does make the D have to be more aware when he’s out there, especially when he’s in motion pre-snap.  

I’d like to see them run some Jet Sweeps with him and have Allen peeling off the other direction, always give the ball to him, save the Allen keeper for the playoffs.  Maybe use it to set up a flea flicker later as well.  If McK has it in him to throw, I’d like to see him in the sweep and throw one down field, again, put the fear in the coordinators going forward, slow down the reaction speeds a little as we get close to critical games.  It’s a great time to do it, if there is a mistake they SHOULD overcome it against the 2 bad teams left on the schedule.  The other thing that could be fun is to have him and Bease run parallel mirrored routes underneath the LBs and have them split at the top of the route, one coming under one going over or out and force the D to read who’s going where, worst case the TE should be open if the D finds both of them.

Anyway, point of story, I hope he’s not the Christmas toy that’s lost in the closet by New Years.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Assuming Davis is healthy, he should be starting and getting the lion’s share of the snaps over the aging prophet.  Beasley will get his spot back, he’s the vet, he’s shown for years he has what it takes to win on a consistent basis, but I sure hope McK keeps getting snaps, he’s not Tyreek Hill, but he sure does make the D have to be more aware when he’s out there, especially when he’s in motion pre-snap.  

I’d like to see them run some Jet Sweeps with him and have Allen peeling off the other direction, always give the ball to him, save the Allen keeper for the playoffs.  Maybe use it to set up a flea flicker later as well.  If McK has it in him to throw, I’d like to see him in the sweep and throw one down field, again, put the fear in the coordinators going forward, slow down the reaction speeds a little as we get close to critical games.  It’s a great time to do it, if there is a mistake they SHOULD overcome it against the 2 bad teams left on the schedule.  The other thing that could be fun is to have him and Bease run parallel mirrored routes underneath the LBs and have them split at the top of the route, one coming under one going over or out and force the D to read who’s going where, worst case the TE should be open if the D finds both of them.

Anyway, point of story, I hope he’s not the Christmas toy that’s lost in the closet by New Years.

You could definitely be right about Beasley getting his snaps back, but there's no question that he isn't nearly as effective against man coverage this year as he has been in the past. IMO that doesn't look like it's coming back. I think we'll see McK trend up. 

We'll see. Maybe I think so because I hope so. McD has showed a habit of being very slow to make changes away from experienced players during the year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

You could definitely be right about Beasley getting his snaps back, but there's no question that he isn't nearly as effective against man coverage this year as he has been in the past. IMO that doesn't look like it's coming back. I think we'll see McK trend up. 

We'll see. Maybe I think so because I hope so. McD has showed a habit of being very slow to make changes away from experienced players during the year.

Man has he ever shown a downright fear to make a change mid-year.. I agree, I think Bease is falling off some, but we’ll see.

Cole wins. He was right!

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Wasn’t Beasley injured (somewhat)?  If so, I’d activate him but let him sit.  Get him healthier/fresher for the playoffs. 

Yeah no need to make him go if he’s not 100%. Unless we are stagnant on offense, leave him on the bench.

• Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

Wasn’t Beasley injured (somewhat)?  If so, I’d activate him but let him sit.  Get him healthier/fresher for the playoffs. 

He had some rib soreness from earlier in the year that he was working through. 

And yeah, like others said, sit him until he is healthy 100%. I don't see Cole as a hot/cold player where he needs to get back into the swing of the game. He is a technician who knows where the sticks are and where the holes in the zone are. I feel like you can plug him in and when he's healthy, he's on point.

I'd like to see plenty of Sanders, McKenzie, Kumerow, and Davis the next two weeks. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

He had some rib soreness from earlier in the year that he was working through. 

And yeah, like others said, sit him until he is healthy 100%. I don't see Cole as a hot/cold player where he needs to get back into the swing of the game. He is a technician who knows where the sticks are and where the holes in the zone are. I feel like you can plug him in and when he's healthy, he's on point.

I'd like to see plenty of Sanders, McKenzie, Kumerow, and Davis the next two weeks. 

I'd remove Kumerow since that would be activating too (including Beasley, as a last resort) many WRs.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mickey said:

Isaiah gives us something that Cole can't: shallow and intermediate crossing routes where his speed makes him very difficult to defend.  Andre Reed made a nice living off those routes. 

Let's see some consistency before we say Isaiah gives us anythting.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Let's see some consistency before we say Isaiah gives us anythting.

Can't demonstrate consistency on the bench. He has had two games where he played a lot. Miami last year and the Pats last weekend. He produced. Not saying he should replace Beas but he has earned more looks than the occasional jet sweep.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Mickey said:

Can't demonstrate consistency on the bench. He has had two games where he played a lot. Miami last year and the Pats last weekend. He produced. Not saying he should replace Beas but he has earned more looks than the occasional jet sweep.

There is a reason he was on the bench...

• Eyeroll 1

18 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Truth. But then you limit someone else. No easy solutions. But nice problem to have!

6 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Beasley can go to second string permanently.

Not so fast.  While Beasley and McKenzie are both slot receivers they're very different in what they do best and where they can be productive.  They might even be complementary in certain situations.

There's also what I call the "20 years of Bills football purgatory" syndrome going on here.  This is where a guy steps up, has a great game and we Bills fans go ape ####. And then our new favorite player struggles to repeat it. 

Now this may or may not be McKenzie and like others I see McK replacing Beasley next season if Bease isn't willing to take a pay cut.  But once D-coordinators have film on McKenzie they're going to figure out what his weaknesses are and who on their D is best able to handle him.  To the Patriots McK was a bit of a black box Sunday.  Going forward he's going to be treated differently.  Beasley was already an open book to Defensive Coordinators the day he arrived in Buffalo in 2019.  And he still was highly productive.  McK has yet to cross this bridge.

12 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Not so fast.  While Beasley and McKenzie are both slot receivers they're very different in what they do best and where they can be productive.  They might even be complementary in certain situations.

There's also what I call the "20 years of Bills football purgatory" syndrome going on here.  This is where a guy steps up, has a great game and we Bills fans go ape ####. And then our new favorite player struggles to repeat it. 

Now this may or may not be McKenzie and like others I see McK replacing Beasley next season if Bease isn't willing to take a pay cut.  But once D-coordinators have film on McKenzie they're going to figure out what his weaknesses are and who on their D is best able to handle him.  To the Patriots McK was a bit of a black box Sunday.  Going forward he's going to be treated differently.  Beasley was already an open book to Defensive Coordinators the day he arrived in Buffalo in 2019.  And he still was highly productive.  McK has yet to cross this bridge.

Yep.

Reminds me of after OJ got hurt in his last game as a Bill and Roland Hooks tore it up the very next start and fans thought we had another Juice in the making.

Not so fast.

Edited by Beast

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Beasley has been out of gas this season.

McKenzie is the more dynamic playmaker, and this offense is better with him on the field.

Last year the Bills chose to take #19 off the field after Miami in Week 17 when he had two TDs.

It’s apparent since Week 5 that Gabe Davis needed more snaps and McKenzie taking some of Beasley’s snaps.

It’s no shock that as soon as Gabe started in place of Sanders he went for 85 and 2. 

Same with McKenzie, Beasley hasn’t had that big of a game since his 11 catch game earlier in the year. 

Bills Coaches were stubborn with Frank Gore, refusing to take him off the field. And that hurt us against Houston in the Playoff game. Gore represented 8 wasted carries.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Same with McKenzie, Beasley hasn’t had that big of a game since his 11 catch game earlier in the year. 

It wasn't that long ago that Beasley had big games:

2nd Dolphins game:  10 - 110 yards.  Along with Allen Beasley was the key reason we snapped out of our offensive doldrums midway through the 3rd quarter.

Tampa Bay game:  9 - 64 yards. Converted a lot of 3rd downs in the 2nd half to help rally the Bills.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.