Josh Allen doesn’t have a single first round pick on offense

78thealltimegreat

17 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Why draft a WR?  McKenszie was 4th to 6th on the depth chart.  Beasley and Davis and Hodgkins are still around.

Sanders is a FA and I believe is 34.  Don't think he'll be back.

Beasley is 33 and I could see the Bills move on from him after the season.  Even if he does come back next season, he has only 1 year left on contract.

Hodgins is unproven but has good size. 

I like McKenzie but he's not a big guy.  I'm not sure he can really hold up a full season with an increased work load.  Plus he's a FA.  Hopefully Bills bring him back.

I like Davis.

Bills need more dynamic playmakers on offense to pair up with Allen and Diggs imo

Edited by DCbillsfan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I believe this will change very soon.  Free agency first but would not be surprised if they drafted a WR, C/G, and DT1 early in draft.  

This x 1000....obv hard to tell how FA will go and who could fall to us in the draft, but I would love it if this happened. The three biggest needs on the team IMO, then add another guard, a CB, and a TE on Day 3. 

Also, Joe Marino mentioned the other day that the Draft Network has 13 WRs ranked in their Top 100 Prospects at the moment. That's a seriously strong WR class.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

So that brings us back to cap and need

My first round gift to JA17 is a center.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/C/1/2022

That would be a wise move...Anyways we can't pay FA money for 4 of the 5 on the OL.  You need a few coming in on Rookie contract...We need Spencer and a new Center to be on a rookie contract while we may for Williams and Dawkins.

We really need to find what Epenesa is worth...It has been a shame that he is not on the field more...Something is simply missing.  

• Agree 1

I think it's a disingenous OP.   The offense has talent.  And the FO has been trying.  When they acquired Diggs he was 1st round material. 

This is not the Green Bay scenario.  If GB had traded the 1st round pick for say D Hopkins instead of getting Love, I think even the whiner Rodgers would have kept his piehole shut.  Don't be more of a whiner than Rodgers, it's a bad look.

The FO does, and will continue, to spend resources on the offense.  Morse was a top paid center, Williams didn't come cheap, and multiple picks in the top 3 rounds on the offensive side - Dawkins, Singletary, Moss, Brown and Knox come to mind.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, FarrellsFinest said:

In this draft it will be a oline player.

Hate to disagree, but I don't think our 1st pick will be on offense. I think it will be a CB. But I do think 2,3,4 and 5 will be on offense. Might even use a 6 or 7 to move up a few spots in rnd 1 to get a CB. Just my opinion though.

On 12/28/2021 at 11:47 AM, Steve O said:

Totally agree Diggs counts as a first round pick.  As to trading up for a prime target, rather not. Using 2020 as the baseline as that's where the Diggs pick comes in to play, had we stood pat at 22 and gone wide receiver, we would likely have taken Justin Jefferson who was the 5th WR taken in that draft and has to date been the most productive - the only one with stats that surpass Diggs. Instead of trading up for an unproven rookie Beane traded out for a proven player which so far has proved to be the better decision. Prefer this route to trading up for an unknown when you can just stand pat for a different unknown that may prove to be better that the one you traded up for.

The Jefferson example is anecdotal, though. Obviously, no rookie is a guarantee. But, certainly, the higher rated picks have a better chance of success in the league.

11 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think it's a disingenous OP.   The offense has talent.  And the FO has been trying.  When they acquired Diggs he was 1st round material. 

This is not the Green Bay scenario.  If GB had traded the 1st round pick for say D Hopkins instead of getting Love, I think even the whiner Rodgers would have kept his piehole shut.  Don't be more of a whiner than Rodgers, it's a bad look.

The FO does, and will continue, to spend resources on the offense.  Morse was a top paid center, Williams didn't come cheap, and multiple picks in the top 3 rounds on the offensive side - Dawkins, Singletary, Moss, Brown and Knox come to mind.   

You are trying too hard here.

Statistically.........if you are a first round pick you are about 3x more likely to make a Pro Bowl in your career than if you were a second round pick.

In my opinion, the midseason slump that we endured was primarily an issue of losing in the trenches. We got exposed for running a spread offense that we were unable to adjust out of, and, as Urban Meyer weirdly outlined to the press, shutting down the Bills was a matter of shutting down the spread offense, which turned out to be something that took us weeks to adjust to. Put simply, we could not balance our offense to include an honest run game. Just as it was in last season's AFCCG, defending against the Bills' run game did not even have to be schemed. It was an afterthought. 

As much as I would like to see a first round pick to upgrade the O-line, or even a running back, or WR (and I would love to see that), I have, this season, strongly suspected that the real problem lies with asst. coaching. I feel like, as far as the O-line, and RBs are concerned, the talent is there. I would love to see the Pegulas go after a first-rate, O-line coach who could, along with protecting Allen, really get the run game going. And, for what it's worth, I know Bobby Johnson is well regarded. But, the proof is in the pudding, as they say.

Spend a first-round pick on an O-linesman, sure. And if we're picking late in the first round, maybe even a running back. If there's a potentially elite talent there, why not? But, if we can't get a proper scheme going to develop a proper run game, it's going to be a wasted pick.

On 12/28/2021 at 11:28 AM, 78thealltimegreat said:

The Bills last first round pick on offense was Sammy Watkins even though of course Diggs was traded for using a 1 he was picked in the 5th..

Amazing this guy produces at this level without one single first round pick used on offense no linemen…no TEs…no Wrs…No RBs

Entire offense was built through free agency and mid round picks 

More proof that Beane has hit on a couple free agents and mid round picks

But Josh is a damn special player this is Brady in his prime type of stuff 

Preach.

I want all offense in draft and free agency.

Nothing matters but protecting #17 and giving him more weapons. That’s how you win long term in the NFL. Score a lot of points and bend don’t break on defense.

On 12/28/2021 at 12:57 PM, Rocky Landing said:

I know Diggs was previously a first round pick, but the Bills spent a first round pick on him. IMO, that counts as a first round pick. 

Also, going forward, it's going to mean less as the Bills are likely going to be picking fairly late in upcoming drafts. That is, of course, based on the belief that the Bills are going to be a perennial playoff team for at least several years. The real elite rookie talent tends to be up in the top ten, or so picks. I'd love to see Beane trade up for a prime target-- I have a feeling he could negotiate a better deal than that misguided Whaley selling-the-farm for Watkins pick.

I agree with counting Diggs as a 1st round pick. 

On 12/28/2021 at 8:27 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

If those are your first and second round picks.........please no, Beane.

That's the epitome of draftin' ferneed.    Shaq and Ragland level draftin' ferneed.

I’d definitely would take Breece Hall and John Metchie with the first two picks. Two playmakers for Josh. Shaq and Ragland both had limitations to their games and were considered to be coached up. Hall is Jonathan Taylor like. Same size with comparable speed, power and vision. Metchie was another playmaker on a championship team. Like I said earlier, this draft has some nice interior linemen the Bills could snag later in draft that they can plug into starting lineup. I may even use my 3rd on TE Jeremy Ruckert. Would look at FA to get DT.

16 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

This x 1000....obv hard to tell how FA will go and who could fall to us in the draft, but I would love it if this happened. The three biggest needs on the team IMO, then add another guard, a CB, and a TE on Day 3. 

Also, Joe Marino mentioned the other day that the Draft Network has 13 WRs ranked in their Top 100 Prospects at the moment. That's a seriously strong WR class.

Only 2 stretch the field receivers, Jameson Williams and John Metchie. This is what the Bills need to add to their roster. I’d draft a C to replace Morse and another G.

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Hate to disagree, but I don't think our 1st pick will be on offense. I think it will be a CB. But I do think 2,3,4 and 5 will be on offense. Might even use a 6 or 7 to move up a few spots in rnd 1 to get a CB. Just my opinion though.

Joe Marino just mentioned in his podcast that next years draft has a ton of good WRs.   He mentioned that there are about 17 WRs who could go in the top 100 (first 3 rounds).  Hoping we get one of those guys for speed

On 12/28/2021 at 11:39 AM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Bunch of second rounders though… 

Bunch?  Who?  "Bunch of 2nd rounders" = 2?

The two 2nd rounders of which I'm aware are Dawkins and Cody Ford, who is not looking like a good ROI in the 2nd round

We have 4 3rd rounders - Spencer Brown, Moss, Knox, Singletary

If you want to talk players acquired in FA or from other teams:

Morse was a 2nd round pick

Williams was a 4th round pick

so was Jon Feliciano

Boettger and Rick were undrafted

Diggs was a 5th round pick

Sanders was a 3rd round pick

Beasley was undrafted

Gabe Davis in the 4th

McKenzie in the 5th

Stevenson and Matt Breida undrafted

Outside of Allen, the Bills have not invested much draft capitol on offense

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The two 2nd rounders of which I'm aware are Dawkins and Cody Ford, who is not looking like a good ROI in the 2nd round

so was Jon Feliciano

Beasley was undrafted

Gabe Davis in the 4th

McKenzie in the 5th

Stevenson was a sixth round pick in April.

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

so was Jon Feliciano

Beasley was undrafted

Gabe Davis in the 4th

McKenzie in the 5th

trading a first round pick for a WR is investing draft capital imo

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, FireChans said:

trading a first round pick for a WR is investing draft capital imo

So including the pick for Diggs in 5 drafts of this regime the Bills have spent six first round picks and five second round picks on players (rather than as chips in trades for draft position).  

Of those two 1sts on offense (Allen and Diggs) and three 2nds (Dawkins, Ford and Jones). 

So there is a slight tilt towards defense not helped by two of their three 2nd round picks on offense being their two biggest busts of the regime so far. 

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So including the pick for Diggs in 5 drafts of this regime the Bills have spent six first round picks and five second round picks on players (rather than as chips in trades for draft position).  

Of those two 1sts on offense (Allen and Diggs) and three 2nds (Dawkins, Ford and Jones). 

So there is a slight tilt towards defense not helped by two of their three 2nd round picks on offense being their two biggest busts of the regime so far. 

Well said, Close the thread

On 12/28/2021 at 9:44 AM, Mat68 said:

New England and Gb model.  Long term sustainability with an elite qb.  I think McBeane is more like Biliecheck  in that they are willing to make a bold move.  Greenbay doesn’t do flash moves historically.  I think if Etinne or Harris was there at 30 Buffalo would have drafted them. 

Let’s hope not regarding the RB’s. Sony Michel was one of BB’s worst picks. Damien Harris looks better and was drafted in the 3rd round.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That's a valid point.  If Zay Jones and Cody Ford had worked out at least to be solid, steady players we'd probably feel differently about the draft capital on D

I wasn't counting the 2017 draft because it preceded Beane

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's a valid point.  If Zay Jones and Cody Ford had worked out at least to be solid, steady players we'd probably feel differently about the draft capital on D

Edmunds, Epenesa, Ed Oliver,  Groot and Boogie need to work out for this teams long term success.   That is a ton of draft capital invested that needs to turn into Pro Bowl players.  May be it is the coaching that is stopping these men from becoming better players.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yep, although Zay would not just have had to be solid but good enough to give a 2nd contract to as his rookie deal would be up by now. 

And is fair, I'd say even correct, to distinguish between 2017 and the Beane drafts. That draft that brought us White, Dawkins and Milano is one of the best Bills drafts in my memory. But it was a McDermott draft. Some big contract decisions on Beane guys coming up.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I had to scratch  my head and think real hard anout who "Jones" was. I felt sad when I realized who you referred to  and remembering that he was a Second Rd pick

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/28/2021 at 12:57 PM, Rocky Landing said:

I know Diggs was previously a first round pick, but the Bills spent a first round pick on him. IMO, that counts as a first round pick. 

Also, going forward, it's going to mean less as the Bills are likely going to be picking fairly late in upcoming drafts. That is, of course, based on the belief that the Bills are going to be a perennial playoff team for at least several years. The real elite rookie talent tends to be up in the top ten, or so picks. I'd love to see Beane trade up for a prime target-- I have a feeling he could negotiate a better deal than that misguided Whaley selling-the-farm for Watkins pick.

I know he was previously a 5th round pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.