Can we all agree, once-and for all, that Collinsworth is a grade A D-nozzle?

pennstate10

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why would anyone let a guy like that get to them?  Why not just put on the radio broadcast?  

I’ll never understand why people get so worked up over the TV guys

I have been muting the Sunday night guys since the second game of the season and I find the game much more enjoyable. 

I play music on the surround sound and it is a better experience. 

As the quip goes " Mute is your friend "

On 10/11/2021 at 1:39 PM, pennstate10 said:

Can we all agree, once-and for all, that Collinsworth is a grade A D-nozzle?

'Fraid not.

He didn't have a very good game, but he's one of the best out there. Well behind Romo, but he's solid.

We've had threads on him earlier in the year. He's respected.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

On 10/11/2021 at 2:27 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

That he is definitely not.

He actually is.

https://awfulannouncing.com/orig/the-2020-nfl-announcer-rankings.html

https://awfulannouncing.com/orig/the-2019-nfl-announcer-rankings.html

www.sportingnews.com/us/other-sports/list/best-sports-broadcasters-analysts-nfl-nba-mlb-football-nhl-nascar/c3spcs4zn0iq1u34iszrjgbut/28

The guy has 16 Emmy awards, for Pete's sake. Nine for outstanding sports studio analyst and seven for outstanding event analyst. That doesn't mean he (or anybody) does a great job every week, but he absolutely is a very fine announcer.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Vomit 1
  • Angry 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Went back to watch the game and listened to Collinsworth a bit more, and he is not nearly as bad as some here think. Not perfect, but not a grade A I-do-not-even-know-what-the-hell-that-is-zle-but-from-the-context-it-must-really-be-bad.

I will be paraphrasing and it was yesterday morning I watched it again.

In response to various statements here: 

He did not say Addison had led the Bills in sacks the last 3-4 seasons. He said he had led his team for the last 3-4 seasons. He was joint leader here last year and the previous seasons he led the Panthers. So Collinsworth was right.

On Josh and the MVP. He was asked if he was in the conversation. He said he has been improving as this year has gone on. By the season's end he would be up there. His last two games had been in the rain. This was his best game so far. And, finally with the TD throw, just give him the MVP now... He was being positive.

He also said Josh was mediocre his first two years. Yep, he was. It is why so many were down on him (and some idiots still are). He was exciting those first two seasons but tried to play hero ball and the rest of the O sucked for the most part which did not help. He was by no means great, or even good (although there were some great patches (and his highlight reel over those seasons were something), there were some pretty awful ones as well).  He called Josh phenomenal last year and that he was getting to the same level over the last few games this season. 

On the penalties.

On the  RTP penalty after the phantom Morse hold he did not like it and said it would be talked about after the game. He did (half-heartedly) identify why it was given, though.

On Oliver's RTP call he said that if the Chiefs came back into the game that penalty would be talked about as well. He was less down on the penalty, but he did recognise it would have been talked about.

The holding on Morse he initially talked about grabbing the shirt, but when he and Michaels watched the whole play concentrating on Morse their comments were Michaels 'Really?' Collinsworth 'Shocking!' 

He also noticed that Diggs had his arm held on at least one incomplete (he may have done this twice). The implication being that PI could have been called there.

On Analysis:

Did a nice bit on why Josh's early runs were so successful with the pulling O-linemen clearing the way for his long run and TD run in the first drive.

He also identified a good block on Groot that prevented him from tipping a pass thrown out into the flat (go for the legs). And said then you needed to do that otherwise Groot could make a play. On Groot's interception he pointed out that this time the blocker did not go low, allowing Groot to get his hand on the ball, tip it and make the interception. He had identified what would make a play work and what could make it a disaster. And later in the game he was proven right when the exact thing he was highlighting happened and Groot made the interception. That is pretty good analysis, IMO.

I wish there was more, but he did do some good work.

Okay, he will get things wrong. He will talk rubbish from time-to-time. But given the time frame he has to operate between plays that is inevitable. And I have heard much worse football commentary over the years.

Just be thankful you guys never had to listen to the soccer commentators I grew up with in the UK. THEN you would know what crap commentary and analysis was all about.

(I think what I have typed is correct. But I was tired when I watched the game again. And I was mostly watching it for enjoyment, not for this thread. So I reserve the right to be wrong from time-to-time. Like everyone else.).

Edited by Brit
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, CNYfan said:

I have been muting the Sunday night guys since the second game of the season and I find the game much more enjoyable. 

I play music on the surround sound and it is a better experience. 

As the quip goes " Mute is your friend "

It's like going to a restaurant who's food you hate every Monday night and then going on yelp to write 1 star reviews.

These threads  are crazy.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's like going to a restaurant who's food you hate every Monday night and then going on yelp to write 1 star reviews.

These threads  are crazy.

I love the game, but am annoyed by the commentators.   I believe there exists a distinction

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's not the point.  Everyone loves the game.  Anyone can avoid the commentators.  Why be annoyed?

Sticking with your restaurant analogy, everyone loves going out to eat.  Imagine only being given one restaurant to patronize and hating all of their food.  That would be annoying to anyone.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Sticking with your restaurant analogy, everyone loves going out to eat.  Imagine only being given one restaurant to patronize and hating all of their food.  That would be annoying to anyone.

Nah...

This is like complaining that, while you love the food, you can't stand the music they play, when you can just put in your earbuds and enjoy some other type of music while eating the delicious food.

Rants about network commentators are dumb.  Put on a radio broadcast of just mute.  There are choices other than choosing to be annoyed--this should go without saying.

Mr. Weo:

Are you implying that to use the mute button to avoid Collinsworth is somehow nonsensical, or irrational.  

That one should just not watch the game at all, rather than listen to something one would like to hear rather than something that one finds annoying is not the best way to spend the evening?  

I don't understand.  Of course, I didn't "write a 1 star yelp review" or complain in this thread about the Sunday Night announcers either.   I only chimed in to say that I had had enough a while ago and found the mute button to be beneficial to the Sunday Night Football experience.   I find your " restaurant analogy" inapt, and confusing. 

If you like Collingsworth that is fine, enjoy that. 

On 10/11/2021 at 12:41 AM, BillsShredder83 said:

Al was worse to me. Old grumpy man up past his bed time. He's always come across like he's got a grudge against us, and im glad. Rubbed his nose in 💩

I agree. I don't have a problem with Collinsworth.  Is he great?  No, but I don't see all the outrage. 

Al on the other hand, I don't get the love for.  He was 'good' in his prime, nothing special to me but good/very good, but as you said he comes across as a guy getting really old and grumpy and just going to do and say what he wants.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:04 AM, Bferra13 said:

Get your head out of the sand Giuseppe. He has always despised us. Why. I don't know... he was a wr for the freakin Bengals. But I hate the guys voice and tonight he showed his true colors 

Wasn't it Collinsworth who called the Bills-SF game that took place in Arizona last year?  He was pretty complimentarly towards Allen although he talked about "A Star is Born tonight" as though Allen hadn't already toasted the Seasnakes a few weeks earlier

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nah...

This is like complaining that, while you love the food, you can't stand the music they play, when you can just put in your earbuds and enjoy some other type of music while eating the delicious food.

Rants about network commentators are dumb.  Put on a radio broadcast of just mute.  There are choices other than choosing to be annoyed--this should go without saying.

I just need to ask, don't care about the commentators side is it, who the hell goes out to eat and wears earbuds?

• Haha (+1) 1

I was a bit of a Collinsworth defender until Sunday's game.  He is good at talking about the things in which he's knowledgeable (routes, coverages, etc), and relating experiences and interviews he has had with coaches and players into some meaningful insight into what's happening on the field.

But he seems to try  too hard to connect dots that may not be connected.....lots of "because I said this earlier, now I need to spin what just happened to support my earlier position".  (Examples: "Spagnola is going to dial something up here!" .."Don't you feel like the KC offense just needed that ONE play, and now here we go!".. "Buffalo's DBs are playing physical, so that {complete dive by Kelce} is an "obvious" PI penalty"

On 10/11/2021 at 12:43 AM, BuffaloRebound said:

The hold on Morse was the most absurd call of the night.  The roughing call was clear makeup call.  Collinsworth too busy carrying the NFL’s water to call it like it is.  

He's a company man through and through. The NFL loves big markets and marketable individuals. Mahomes is the perfect poster boy. I'm convinced the Bills will always have an uphill battle no matter how much talent they have. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

He's a company man through and through. The NFL loves big markets and marketable individuals. Mahomes is the perfect poster boy. I'm convinced the Bills will always have an uphill battle no matter how much talent they have. 

Win the Super Bowl. Then it doesn’t matter what Collinsworth, Goodall or anyone think about the Bills. It’s the Bills job to shut them up, and they look more than up to the task.

I take the 'he hates xxx team'  mantra for any announcer with a grain of salt. I think it was Vin Scully who lamented that when he did national broadcasts both fan bases thought he was biased.

But Collinsworth is annoying to me. Not sure if it's his delivery or accent, probably both.  On a good day I do a great impersonation of him that cracks up my boys. But I still find times that I appreciate his insights, just gotta wade through the BS like most other announcers.

According to Mike Schopp Collinsworth was great Sunday Night and there is no bias. 

I don't know, when you listen to him it was like he was willing the Chiefs to make a comeback, "now we're in Arrowhead". 

Every flag on the Bills was "is this the spark" the Chiefs needed. 

It wasn't as bad as San Francisco MNF last year. That was insanely tilted towards the 49ers. 

6 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

According to Mike Schopp Collinsworth was great Sunday Night and there is no bias. 

I don't know, when you listen to him it was like he was willing the Chiefs to make a comeback, "now we're in Arrowhead". 

Every flag on the Bills was "is this the spark" the Chiefs needed. 

It wasn't as bad as San Francisco MNF last year. That was insanely tilted towards the 49ers. 

Not saying I am a fan of Chris because I am not, but much of that is just trying to keep the audience interested, especially after an interminable rain delay.  They want the audience to believe that the  big comeback is coming.  

• Disagree 1

On 10/12/2021 at 7:52 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Why would anyone let a guy like that get to them?  Why not just put on the radio broadcast?  

I’ll never understand why people get so worked up over the TV guys

You admit you don't understand, but you will still weigh into the discussion. I don't understand why people weigh in on discussions they don't understand. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I just want to park this beautiful photo of Cris Collinsworth somewhere on this site in case I feel the need for it next season

image.thumb.png.e4785e40001d32d698c2465f1d8515a6.png

XL? Seems a bit exaggerated. Is that like dressing for the job you want and not the one you have?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.