Cole Beasley and Gabriel Davis must sit out 5 days due to close contact

BillsMafi$

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but I believe all personnel with player contact are required by the NFL to be vaccinated, including food service, training staff, and massage therapists.

My guess would be a trainer or S&C staff.

This is one of my big issues with the NFL's policies this year  - they are only testing vaccinated players and staff 1x every 2 weeks or if they're symptomatic.  The NFL's policies are "behind" the changing landscape of Delta transmission.

I would love to go into the science behind this, but just a reminder that is against board policy so don't Y'all either.

Honestly - I think the policy will change starting the first week of the season.  I think they made the policy with the hopes of getting as many players vaccinated as possible and wanted the designation of testing to help drive that.

Once we move toward the regular season - I expect them to acknowledge the changing climate and go to daily testing for everyone, but I still expect they will make it easier for vaccinated players with exposure to come back as a last enticement to push toward upper 90% levels.

The NFL was not shy about changing policy last year as needed to get every game played and I anticipate this year will be similar.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And here is the competitive disadvantage the unvaccinated players cause for a team.  

What happens on Thursday when we have a big game coming up and we lose Beasley and Davis (or any other player) again for 5 days because they are Unvaccinated, missing the Sunday game and because of that we lose Home Field advantage in the playoffs?

This Wont be the first time or the last time, get ready for this same thing to happen in season when it really matters, Probably time to get the FDA approved Shot.

Also NFL is is probably time to go back to Daily Testing of ALL players and staff

There is a pinned post directing covid-related discussion on this board. Would be nice if we could have actual discussions without getting threads closed. If anyone wonders what the difference is between a football-related post and a political one is here is a perfect example. MAJ's post works, the other is drivel - they both express the same sentiment.

10 minutes ago, MWK said:

Idiots. There is 0 excuse anymore with FDA approval. (Not that there really was before) The NFL needs to mandate this vaccine. If no tooth Beasley doesn’t like it, retire.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

If anyone thinks that COVID headaches were limited to the 2020 season and that 2021 is gonna be smooth sailing for the NFL, think again.

The league showed last year that it can and will get through an entire season, regardless of COVID outbreaks, so that's not the concern. It's more like "how many games will be missed by NFL players due to positive tests?"

With more than 80% of most teams being vaccinated, things should certainly be BETTER than last year. On the other hand, as I understand it, there won't be the same strict lockdown-type procedures when teams travel this year, meaning that players can go out to eat, to clubs, etc -- and we have seen that the vaccinated CAN still contract COVID. As such, I expect quite a few missed games due to positive COVID tests this season.

I think the return of fans to the stands, the increased knowledge about the virus, the presence of vaccines, etc, is giving a lot of fans a false sense of security with regard to how "normal" this NFL season will look. I still think things are gonna go a bit haywire at times.

for sure.  Between this, the banning of Toradol and an extra game in the regular season… gonna be a LOT of players missing some time.

Where does any of this make sense? I just can't wrap my head around it.

Cole is around a vaccinated staff member that was positive. Cole tests negative. Must sit out 5 days because he isn't vaccinated but if he was he could continue to practice....... even though the staff person he was around..... was vaccinated with covid.

Make it make sense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Honestly - I think the policy will change starting the first week of the season.  I think they made the policy with the hopes of getting as many players vaccinated as possible and wanted the designation of testing to help drive that.

Once we move toward the regular season - I expect them to acknowledge the changing climate and go to daily testing for everyone, but I still expect they will make it easier for vaccinated players with exposure to come back as a last enticement to push toward upper 90% levels.

The NFL was not shy about changing policy last year as needed to get every game played and I anticipate this year will be similar.

I hope so. At this point it is obvious that weekly testing is not going to work. The best way to protect the season is daily testing, not this PR-driven face-saving nonsense that is currently dictating policy. If the goal is to protect as many people as possible (which it should be) and to avoid outbreaks (which the policy should), then testing protocols need to be daily, it's that simple. The issue is the league knows it will face significant backlash from players who only got vaccinated to avoid daily tests. The league needs to step up and take the hit so we can have a season.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

It says "staff". Could've just been a cafeteria person, masseuse, or someone like that? Hopefully not a coach

With the Pfizer vaccine now having full approval, there's no reason the Bills can't mandate that every toilet cleaner, broom pusher, and pot washer at OBD be vaccinated.  The Delta variant is, however causing quite a few breakthrough cases

15 minutes ago, PTS said:

I haven't really followed the NFL rules, would these two not be forced to sit out five days if they were vaccinated? If that is the case, I'm assuming it's because of the previous notion that unvaxxed spread more of the virus?

No, the NFL rules are that vaccinated players don't need to quarantine as close contacts because they are less likely to contract (thus spread) the virus.

Here is a link to data:

15 minutes ago, PTS said:

If that is the case, what is the NFL going to do as everyday a new study comes out that shows the transmission of the variants is also just as possible from a vaxxed individual.

No such studies are coming out.  See above.  Possible, yes.  "Just as possible" no.  This is ranging into general Covid discussion and should not be continued.

What the NFL is probably going to do, is resume testing of vaccinated individuals at a more frequent interval than 1x in 14 days, and resume universal masking indoors except when distanced for eating.  This will probably not occur until at least one team has an outbreak, however.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, wjag said:

So bigger issue is a coach was positive. 

Training staff.

41 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

You can be Vax’d but still catch covid, it just significantly reduces the chances of life threatening symptoms 

No, it doesn't "just" reduce the chances of life threatening symptoms. It also lowers the possibility of catching COVID if exposed. Does not eliminate it, though, that's quite correct.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, T master said:

Wasn't Dion vaccinated ? Didn't Dion get covid after being vaccinated ? Didn't Dion have to miss time because he had the virus and expose others on the team to it ? 🤔 

What a dum ass Beasley is OMG ... 

t he stated he was under the two week window after the second shot, per him.  I’m not doing the vacc argument as it’s a dead horse.  It’s stupid to not do it, but people do a lot of dumb things.  Their choice.

for not a star, you’re lucky not to be released though if you don’t.  You don’t think quietly the staff is letting them know for the back up safety or whatever position they will be released.

Beasely is fine.  He’s needed until he’s not.  He’ll be here this year.  So will Davis, but a Antonio Williams not getting the shot or a McKenzie.  They can live without them.  They cannot live with forfeiting games.  Reality of life.

all I care about is we start against Pitt with our team and whatever someone wants to choose or not is up to them.

go bills!  

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Again, and Ill say it loud for those in the back  YOU CAN CATCH COVID EVEN IF YOU GOT THE VACCINE!!!!!

Yep, but if everybody was vaxxed you test weekly and if there's a breakthrough you deal with it.  With the mix of vaxxed and unvaxxed it's a s-h-i-t-show.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Training staff 

Most teams have non-vaxxed players in big roles. Everyone dealing with same thing. Some have starting QBs without the vax. 

All true, and it very well could ruin our teams season potential,

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Again, and Ill say it loud for those in the back  YOU CAN CATCH COVID EVEN IF YOU GOT THE VACCINE!!!!!

All of us, in the front or in the back, know this. 

But we also know two things: 

1) it’s generally accepted that if vaccinated, your symptoms are less severe, and more importantly in this particular case; 

2) his employer made different rules for vaxxed vs non. He CHOSE no vaccine and the NFL CHOSE to make him sit home. See, isn’t the freedom of choice amazing?

Maybe he can find an employer that doesn’t require the vaccine or put any limitations for those who won’t get a shot. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The point is (must we say it loud for you to hear?) these players did not catch covid (yet), but due to NFL policy unvaccinated players must quarantine as close contacts.  Vaccinated players who are close contacts do not need to quarantine. Therefore if they were vaccinated they would still be working with the team.

Them's the facts as they stand (NFL policy).

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, eball said:

Yep, but if everybody was vaxxed you test weekly and if there's a breakthrough you deal with it.  With the mix of vaxxed and unvaxxed it's a s-h-i-t-show.

Can you explain why it makes a difference?   If you are vaxxed, and can still get the virus and also pass the virus, why does having a mix matter?  Serious question, not trying to be sarcastic.

2 minutes ago, jabu said:

Simon Charles

@SCharlesNFL

Cole Beasley has been sent home from the #Bills team facility after being a close contact of a trainer. I’m told he is “frustrated” and doesn’t plan on returning to the team.

I don't  know this guy, but hopefully he is getting bad information.

So now we can keep Kumerow and Stephenson!

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yep.  I wish the guys would just all get vaccinated, but the NFLPA negotiated choice on that issue, so it's their right to say "No"

Their work union agreed to being short sighted and potentially harmful to their own finances. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, stevestojan said:

All of us, in the front or in the back, know this. 

But we also know two things: 

1) it’s generally accepted that if vaccinated, your symptoms are less severe, and more importantly in this particular case; 

2) his employer made different rules for vaxxed vs non. He CHOSE no vaccine and the NFL CHOSE to make him sit home. See, isn’t the freedom of choice amazing?

Maybe he can find an employer that doesn’t require the vaccine or put any limitations for those who won’t get a shot. 

Your second point doesnt make sense though.   I am guessing the stipulation is the same for vaxxed and unvaxxed players.  If you're in close contact with someone who has the virus, you will need to go home until the incubation period for the virus passes, then you would have to retest before coming back.

40 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Totally agree. Worst case scenario this costs us a game. I don't think it's all that unlikely TBH.

My friend, that is NOT the worst case scenario. Not even slightly close.

I do worry that this seems pretty likely to happen again during the season, and that even if they don't test positive that we miss games. Could happen again and again to the same guy or guys. The rules allow the vaxxed to play through close contact. Not the unvaxxed.

5 minutes ago, jabu said:

Simon Charles

@SCharlesNFL

Cole Beasley has been sent home from the #Bills team facility after being a close contact of a trainer. I’m told he is “frustrated” and doesn’t plan on returning to the team.

Please look at his other tweets, and then delete your post. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think they made the policy based on solid data available this spring, before the Delta variant took over.

They need to change the policy to match the current reality.  There isn't great data from the US yet for {reasons} but there's no reason to ignore good data from UK (linked above)

I just hope they change before a team has an outbreak.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, jabu said:

Simon Charles

@SCharlesNFL

Bye Gina!!

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

NO ONE SAID YOU CAN"T. It's why it states 94% effective. It prevents serious symptoms, hospitalizations and DEATH

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, nucci said:

NO ONE SAID YOU CAN"T. It's why it states 94% effective. It prevents serious symptoms, hospitalizations and DEATH

Read the posts.  Posters are literally bemoaning the fact that the Bills have players who havent received the vaccine, when the person they are being sent home for being in close contact with had the vaccine. 

Can you explain why it makes a difference?   If you are vaxxed, and can still get the virus and also pass the virus, why does having a mix matter?  Serious question, not trying to be sarcastic.

This is correct. The issue is the testing policy. Saying "if everyone were vaxxed you deal with it" takes the very point of the issue and sweeps it completely under the rug. You can still get and transmit covid while vaccinated, as such there is no reason not to have daily testing. At this point, even presuming that preliminary studies stating vaccinated people are less likely to transmit the disease, vaccinated players still pose a greater threat transmission because if positive they would be allowed to walk around, maskless, for a week able to transmit the disease. An unvaccinated player would be identified as a result of daily testing and can be removed from the facilities. The carrot of way further restrictions for vaccinated players creates a more dangerous work environment than the one we had last year, where everyone was distanced and tested daily. 

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Read the posts.  Posters are literally bemoaning the fact that the Bills have players who havent received the vaccine, when the person they are being sent home for being in close contact with had the vaccine. 

You read the posts.  The point is if the players were vaccinated, per NFL policy they would not have been sent home.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Your second point doesnt make sense though.   I am guessing the stipulation is the same for vaxxed and unvaxxed players.  If you're in close contact with someone who has the virus, you will need to go home until the incubation period for the virus passes, then you would have to retest before coming back.

But you’re wrong. The close contact rule doesn’t apply the same for the vaccinated vs non, as someone else pointed out. 

Edited by stevestojan
  • Like (+1) 1

Beasley is being sent home and he has not had the shot....unless I missed something

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You read the posts.  The point is if the players were vaccinated, per NFL policy they would not have been sent home.

Which makes no sense because clearly, the guy who has COVID .. is vaccinated. 

Rules are rules though .

• Agree 2