Bills sign RB Kerrith Whyte and CB Tim Harris

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-sign-rb-kerrith-whyte-and-cb-tim-harris

This is mentioned in the "Last Duke Williams Thread", but thought it deserved its own commentary.

The Bills added two players to their roster this week. Running back Kerrith Whyte and cornerback Tim Harris have signed with Buffalo.

Whyte, 5'10 and 204 pounds, most recently spent time with the Lions and has also played for the Steelers and the Bears.

In 2019, he played in six games and totaled 24 carries for 122 rushing yards while playing for the Steelers.

Whyte was drafted by Chicago in the seventh round of the 2019 NFL Draft. He played collegiately for Florida Atlantic University and backed up Bills running back Devin Singletary.

Interesting that he was a teammate of Motor

Harris, 6'1 and 205 pounds, played for the 49ers in 2020. The corner saw the field in two games last season.

Harris was drafted by San Francisco in the sixth round of the 2019 NFL Draft out of Virginia. He spent the 2019 season on the injured reserve.

Big guy for a CB.

So....are these guys just "camp fodder" to take the field in the final game?

Or, given that Antonio Williams was injured in the 1st preseason game (and didn't do too well) and that TBD fave Christian Wade has a shoulder injury and hasn't been seen in a LooooooOooooong time....is it a sign that an injury settlement might be near for Williams and we're auditioning for PS depth at RB?

Also given the questionmarks at backup CB, has Harris shown enough that we might be interested after a week-long audition?

Discuss

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Kerrith Whyte

Florida Atlantic Owls

5-foot-10, 197 pounds.

Who is he? Teammate and backfield partner Devin “Motor” Singletary (who was drafted 74th overall by the Buffalo Bills) earned all of the attention in recent years, but Whyte emerged as one of Conference USA’s most dynamic running backs last season. The former Seminole Ridge star ran for a career-high 866 yards and eight touchdowns on only 134 carries (6.5 yards per rush) and added 160 receiving yards through the air. Whyte surprised many by declaring after his redshirt junior season, though he raised his draft stock with an excellent Pro Day performance. Whyte’s 4.36 40-yard dash time was better than any time posted by a running back at the NFL Scouting Combine.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or, given that Antonio Williams was injured in the 1st preseason game (and didn't do too well) and that TBD fave Christian Wade has a shoulder injury and hasn't been seen in a LooooooOooooong time....is it a sign that an injury settlement might be near for Williams and we're auditioning for PS depth at RB?

Beane does this every year.  Whyte is the kind of guy that comes out of nowhere and ends up on the PS.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 17islongenough said:

So how much do these guys for 1 game and a few practices?

That's a really good question.  During training camp, players get housing, food, medical care, and a per-diem payment reported as $850/week for a rookie and $1600/week for a veteran.  These guys aren't rookies in that they were drafted in 2019, but I don't know if they need an "accrued season" to get the vet $$.

It also ends "a week before the regular season".

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's a really good question.  During training camp, players get housing, food, medical care, and a per-diem payment reported as $850/week for a rookie and $1600/week for a veteran.  These guys aren't rookies in that they were drafted in 2019, but I don't know if they need an "accrued season" to get the vet $$.

It also ends "a week before the regular season".

Basically PS tryouts but hey at least for the DB we do have a record of developing and bringing those guys up.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Kerrith Whyte

Florida Atlantic Owls

5-foot-10, 197 pounds.

Who is he? Teammate and backfield partner Devin “Motor” Singletary (who was drafted 74th overall by the Buffalo Bills) earned all of the attention in recent years, but Whyte emerged as one of Conference USA’s most dynamic running backs last season. The former Seminole Ridge star ran for a career-high 866 yards and eight touchdowns on only 134 carries (6.5 yards per rush) and added 160 receiving yards through the air. Whyte surprised many by declaring after his redshirt junior season, though he raised his draft stock with an excellent Pro Day performance. Whyte’s 4.36 40-yard dash time was better than any time posted by a running back at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Beane does this every year.  Whyte is the kind of guy that comes out of nowhere and ends up on the PS.

Interesting - another "fast guy".  He was drafted by the Bears in 2019, signed off the Bears PS by the Steelers and played for them a bit, waived at final cutdowns in 2020 and signed to the Lions PS until he was IR'd last October.   I can't find info on what the injury was or whether he's been in an NFL team's camp this summer.

-----------------

Tim Harris was in camp with the 49ers, who drafted him in 2019, put him on IR, and had him on the PS in 2020 where he was elevated for 2 games in December.  In fact, one of the games was against us!

"On August 4, 2021, Harris was waived/injured by the 49ers and placed on injured reserve.  He was released on August 11."

I think the 49ers have decent secondary depth so...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting - another "fast guy".  He was drafted by the Bears in 2019, signed off the Bears PS by the Steelers and played for them a bit, waived at final cutdowns in 2020 and signed to the Lions PS until he was IR'd last October.   I can't find info on what the injury was or whether he's been in an NFL team's camp this summer.

-----------------

Tim Harris was in camp with the 49ers, who drafted him in 2019, put him on IR, and had him on the PS in 2020 where he was elevated for 2 games in December.  In fact, one of the games was against us!

"On August 4, 2021, Harris was waived/injured by the 49ers and placed on injured reserve.  He was released on August 11."

I think the 49ers have decent secondary depth so...

Like I said I think Beane likes to rotate these kind of guys in and out to see who he ends up giving PS spots to.  This could be even more

important with teams looking at Bills players more closely.

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I have to think these guys are camp fodder based on their level of experience. We might see some

legit CB help after the final cuts. 

Could be.  The mildly intriguing factors  (for me) is that Harris actually played against us, meaning the coaches got to see him in person

and

that the RB Whyte is personally known to Motor and super-fast.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Whyte’s 4.36 40-yard dash time was better than any time posted by a running back at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Great, he can hit the wrong hole super fast.

• Haha (+1) 1

The kid has some serious one cut and go potential.  He just turns it on.  Tight hipped and not much east west in his game.  Kinda reminds me of a not so good mini Herschel Walker.  Probably just a practice squad guy for now. But I like his fit in this offense 

Edited by NewEra
  • Thank you (+1) 8

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I have to think these guys are camp fodder based on their level of experience. We might see some

Practice squad.  Having solid PS depth is important, especially now with covid.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would have thought, CWade and Williams there, but they're both injured at the moment

Yeah I would think so too but this guy looks a lot faster than both Williams and Wade.  Breida has the propensity to get injured.  He could be the replacement speed rb on the ps

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

That makes sense yet not sure how healthy Harris is, as the 49ers waived/injured him as he seems to get the injury bug quite a bit.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-sign-rb-kerrith-whyte-and-cb-tim-harris

This is mentioned in the "Last Duke Williams Thread", but thought it deserved its own commentary.

Interesting that he was a teammate of Motor

Big guy for a CB.

Also given the questionmarks at backup CB, has Harris shown enough that we might be interested after a week-long audition?

Discuss

Sal said he thought these guys were specifically signed due to injuries and guys they will not be playing in the last game.

Specifically Singletary and Moss will most likely not play and need to limit Williams.  The injury to Jackson along with not wanting to play White and Wallace brings along Harris signing.

He was surprised because they have to make 5 moves and he thought Duke and Lamp might start the 5 moves.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Sal said he thought these guys were specifically signed due to injuries and guys they will not be playing in the last game.

Specifically Singletary and Moss will most likely not play and need to limit Williams.  The injury to Jackson along with not wanting to play White and Wallace brings along Harris signing.

He was surprised because they have to make 5 moves and he thought Duke and Lamp might start the 5 moves.

Is Williams even practicing?

And what was Dane Jackson's injury?

Could be.  The mildly intriguing factors  (for me) is that Harris actually played against us, meaning the coaches got to see him in person

He only played special teams for 49ers not DB on defense.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrTi01/gamelog/2020/image.thumb.png.96d647476e70c43db0af590a951f6b0e.png

image.png

Edited by Limeaid

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

The kid has some serious one cut and go potential.  He just turns it on.  Tight hipped and not much east west in his game.  Kinda reminds me of a not so good mini Herschel Walker.  Probably just a practice squad guy for now. But I like his fit in this offense 

Thanks for pulling this up, @NewEra! Reminds me of Karlos Williams: One cut and straight ahead kind of back. Interesting that he's done some PR/KR. May be covering some in the GB game, if Stevenson's foot isn't ready to go.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Moves to make sure singletary/moss and Levi wallace now don't have to play much Saturday?

Singletary, Moss and Wallace (did he play?) sure looked good Saturday. I really liked the way both looked Saturday. They sure looked like pros to me. Maybe not Adrian Petersons but good, tough NFL backs. Devin has some of the best quicks around the LOS and just fantastic shimmies and shakes with being not the easiest to tackle, Moss just brings power, he's small but you had better be ready to tackle hard or he's going to keep going. 

If Daboll knows how to use Breida, he sure ain't showing it. I think Breida loses A LOT of value if he can't return kicks and I think Whyte gains a lot because he can.

The Bills have to collect cornerbacks for their practice squad. I feel they'll be bringing in guys all fall (unless they get lucky and find good ones that no one steal from us!) I like that we play a little different back there and that guys that fit us don't fit a lot of the league.....

Go Bills!

33 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He only played special teams for 49ers not DB on defense.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrTi01/gamelog/2020/image.thumb.png.96d647476e70c43db0af590a951f6b0e.png

image.png

Fair

9 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Singletary, Moss and Wallace (did he play?) sure looked good Saturday. I really liked the way both looked Saturday. They sure looked like pros to me. Maybe not Adrian Petersons but good, tough NFL backs. Devin has some of the best quicks around the LOS and just fantastic shimmies and shakes with being not the easiest to tackle, Moss just brings power, he's small but you had better be ready to tackle hard or he's going to keep going. 

If Daboll knows how to use Breida, he sure ain't showing it. I think Breida loses A LOT of value if he can't return kicks and I think Whyte gains a lot because he can.

The Bills have to collect cornerbacks for their practice squad. I feel they'll be bringing in guys all fall (unless they get lucky and find good ones that no one steal from us!) I like that we play a little different back there and that guys that fit us don't fit a lot of the league.....

Go Bills!

When did Wallace play on Saturday?

He isn't listed in Sal Capaccio's snap counts.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

and

that the RB Whyte is personally known to Motor and super-fast.

Maybe to use in a Breida type role for final preseason game? Benefit the offensive line

Is Williams even practicing?

And what was Dane Jackson's injury?

Sal said Williams was present at yesterday’s walk through, but it was a very limited and light - shorts and tee shirt day.  Today they were off.

Sal didn’t say what Jackson’s injury was - only that he was dinged early in the game and didn’t return.  It sounded like shoulder, neck, head because he talked about him walking about, but I heard no specific body part.

it sounded like Sal did not expect either to play this weekend - although it might be Williams last chance to make the roster.  He also said the staff was reaching in the Chicago game because they didn’t want to give Singletary or Moss any more touches and therefore moved Gilliam to HB, but if they are thinking Gilliam is more of a lock - they wanted to limit him a bit more this week also.

Fair

When did Wallace play on Saturday?

He isn't listed in Sal Capaccio's snap counts.

Wallace did not play versus Chicago - Sal said the staff was very happy with how he has been playing and really wanted to see the other guys.  

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

As I said with Antonio Williams..........straight line runners are easiest kinda' backs to find........so not surprising they were able to find one with otherwise good RAS numbers in the middle of preseason.   Being able to utilize wiggle-free backs definitely simplifies the process of keeping the RB room occupied with ultra-low investment guys that might actually be able to gain some yards for you in your system.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m not sure he has a second NFL skill, but he sure has speed. And you famously can’t coach speed. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As I said with Antonio Williams..........straight line runners are easiest kinda' backs to find........so not surprising they were able to find one with otherwise good RAS numbers in the middle of preseason.   Being able to utilize wiggle-free backs definitely simplifies the process of keeping the RB room occupied with ultra-low investment guys that might actually be able to gain some yards for you in your system.

Agreed with most here that he’s just signed to play in the last preseason game at a high-injury-risk position, and that there’s no chance he makes the roster. 

And I also think that the Bills are always evaluating, and that even a cannon fodder signing will have a chance to make the PS. If the coaching staff can teach him some useful NFL skills, maybe he can eventually grow into a good player. 

Even if they can’t teach him to be better, I still think the Bills’ coaches are good enough to take advantage of his elite speed just with scheme. Kind of how McKenzie was immediately effective for us as a jet sweep guy when we first signed him. 

If he was out on the PS, it wouldn’t shock me if he made a big play or two in a call up game at some point. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

Tight center of gravity and always keeping those heels up on contact too.

Folks

Think about this. Think about a MLB pitcher.  The art is to throw a lot of "surprises".  A couple of fast balls at 97 and then a change up at 85.  Pitch fast, going up the ladder (each pitch higher than the last) until the batter triggers on a fastball up high, out of the zone.  .. A  key is getting the defense (batter) to expect a progression to go one way and then slipping in something that they are NOT prepared for and to catch them getting into a routine of defending what you have just done successfully against.

Running a few plays with slower and shifty Moss/Singletary gets the defenses into a grouve as to how to defend.  The we sub in super fast guy, and he runs and upsets all the blocking and tackling angles they are used to.  He gets away and the defending players are 5 yards off of the spot to stop him.   You got to have these change of pace guys to change your attack with.  If the guy can catch passes, you can have him run a circle or go route against a LB and good things happen. 

Causing confusion and forcing the defense to defend against a variety of different "pitches" is a good thing.  We have used McKanie as such with a lot of success.