trade idea - Jake Fromm to ATL

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Rosen and RGIII are really bad players. Kaepernick will not be playing for the Falcons. Shaub is in his 40s and Bortles hasn't been on a team since 2019. Fromm has at least been through camp with a really good team and is in game shape. 

Rosen and RGIII are bad players? If that's your standard for bad, know who else is bad? Fromm.

Those guys are better.

Kaepernick will not be playing for the Falcons? Know who else won't? Fromm if the Bills try to get anything more than probably a 7th two or three years from now for him.

Schaub is in his forties, yes. And better than Fromm. Bortles hasn't been on a team since 2019, and he's still better than Fromm.

Sorry, man, you're kidding yourself here.

Wildly overestimating what other teams will pay for guys the Bills are likely to cut is an old, treasured, popular game here in Buffalo, and you're playing it here. There's no way they get a 4th for him, or anything close. Post-draft, QBs are like new cars that lose value the instant they drive off the lot. QBs can gain that value back if they show they can play in the NFL. Fromm hasn't.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, ngbills said:

I would think most coaches/GM's would put any of those guys on the field before Fromm. All Fromm has over them is there is less tape on him. But you watch the tape he does have in pre-season and its not great. 

Who knows how good he is? A good qb evaluator (Beane) felt he was worth a fifth 18 months ago, and we really haven't seen him play behind a real offensive line. I do know that RG III is awful and that Josh Rosen has gotten dumped everywhere he's been very quickly.  

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Is Rosen or RG3 better than Fromm? I am not sure; both RG3 and Rosen are terrible. But yeah, there are some names out there, most of whom are bad. Bortles intrigues me slightly because he has a little bit of success in the league and is physically decent. But he's been out of the league since the end of 2019. 

IF and it's a big IF Beane is thinking of something like this he would need to do it soon.  One advantage of a trade like this is for ATL to

get a guy in as soon as possible.  If they wait they can pick him up on waivers (they are 4th in line) behind the Jags, Jets and Texans.

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That makes some sense. Big salary though, right? 

He has a base salary of $4 million and a $2.6 million signing bonus with a built-in out after this year according to Spotrac, so not terrible.

Perhaps they're confident in 3rd stringer new backup Felipe Franks?

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I actually suggested floating Fromm or Webb days ago. But a 4th is a pretty ridiculous suggestion imo 

Might be a bit steep, yeah, but I was thinking we get slightly more for him than what we invested in him (a 5th) given the circumstances in Atlanta. 

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

If he's on waivers, it doesn't mean ATL will get him. They simply can't go into the season with only one credible QB. Sometimes you have to overpay a little to address a glaring need.

And the guy who wasnt even allowed to practice with the team last year gives them someone credible LOLLLLL Tyrod is only one round better than Fromm in a trade?  Cmon, the guy got paid to not play football last year and has Petermans arm strength

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Let's trade Addison for two firsts while we're at it. 

I like that, 

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

IF and it's a big IF Beane is thinking of something like this he would need to do it soon.  One advantage of a trade like this is for ATL to

get a guy in as soon as possible.  If they wait they can pick him up on waivers (they are 4th in line) behind the Jags, Jets and Texans.

Good point about the waiver line. I didn't realize what their slot position was. But yeah, if it were to happen, it'd have to very, very soon. It's at least worth a try, although Beane hardly needs my advice in these matters.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

He has a base salary of $4 million and a $2.6 million signing bonus with a built-in out after this year according to Spotrac, so not terrible.

Perhaps they're confident in 3rd stringer new backup Felipe Franks?

Maybe not! https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/22/atlanta-falcons-feleipe-franks-rookie-miami-dolphins/

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Is Rosen or RG3 better than Fromm? I am not sure; both RG3 and Rosen are terrible. But yeah, there are some names out there, most of whom are bad. Bortles intrigues me slightly because he has a little bit of success in the league and is physically decent. But he's been out of the league since the end of 2019. 

Bortles bounced around last year between Denver & the LA Rams, spending most of the season on Denver's practice squad.  So he wasn't out of the league, he just didn't get into a game, but at least they let him hang out with the other QBs.  He was with GB a few months this offseason & got waived in late July, so he should be in shape.  

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Rosen and RGIII are bad players? If that's your standard for bad, know who else is bad? Fromm.

Those guys are better.

Kaepernick will not be playing for the Falcons? Know who else won't? Fromm if the Bills try to get anything more than probably a 7th two or three years from now for him.

Schaub is in his forties, yes. And better than Fromm. Bortles hasn't been on a team since 2019, and he's still better than Fromm.

Wildly overestimating what other teams will pay for guys the Bills are likely to cut is an old, treasured, popular game here in Buffalo, and you're playing it here. There's no way they get a 4th for him, or anything close. Post-draft, QBs are like new cars that lose value the instant they drive off the lot. QBs can gain that value back if they show they can play in the NFL. Fromm hasn't.

I generally agree with you about trade ideas on the board, which is why I never propose them. In this case, the Falcons have to get someone, and at least Fromm is playing NFL football every day now in a complex, well-designed offense and also happens to have been an extremely successful QB at Georgia. It makes a certain amount of sense. Not saying it'll happen, of course, and yeah, a fourth is probably asking for too much. 

Might be a bit steep, yeah, but I was thinking we get slightly more for him than what we invested in him (a 5th) given the circumstances in Atlanta. 

Unless a guy improves his post-draft value by putting down some solid regular season play, his trade value is usually down a round or two from his draft slot.

No one has seen Fromm in the regular season, and he's been a mixed story in the two preseason games - certainly didn't lay an egg, but didn't light anyone's hair on fire either; did have 3 nice passes and generally seemed poised and prepared.  The 3rd and 4th string OL he had in front of him didn't do him any favors.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Bortles bounced around last year between Denver & the LA Rams, spending most of the season on Denver's practice squad.  So he wasn't out of the league, he just didn't get into a game, but at least they let him hang out with the other QBs.  He was with GB a few months this offseason & got waived in late July, so he should be in shape.  

Didn't know that. But how was able to be on a practice squad? Wouldn't he be ineligible, or did the rules change last season because of covid?

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Didn't know that. But how was able to be on a practice squad? Wouldn't he be ineligible, or did the rules change last season because of covid?

Veterans are allowed on PCs these days.  I found this:  What is a veteran practice squad player?
*Any player who doesn't qualify under the previous two categories and has played three or more seasons becomes a practice squad veteran.* Only six players can fall into the practice squad veteran category and no more than four who fall into the practice squad exception category.Sep 6, 2020

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, wppete said:

If we can get a 4th for Fromm I’d make that trade asap. Think after next weeks game we will see a few trades from Beane. This team is stacked with talent. 

A 4th would require some serious sorcery on Beane's part. Might have to break out the wand and hat for that one.😂

• Haha (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Sometimes I’d agree, but when it’s back end guys everyone knows you’re cutting or sneaking to the practice squad there’s not much value. Add in he has zero experience which is what most want in a backup. We’d be lucky to pull a 6 or 7. Similar to when we dumped Newhouse years ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Yeah, Bortles might be the best available for Atlanta.   Kind of wonder why he's available though.

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The latter.

Man, the NFL is a tough gig.  3rd overall in the 2014 draft, played for the Conference Championship in 2017, now kicking around the league with his stuff packed in a shopping cart.  Career 59.3% completions, TD/INT ratio 1.37, 6.7 ypa, and he's only 29.  Those aren't all-world stats, but you got to think he's better than a lot of #2 QB out there.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Because they're literally desperate. A team cannot go into a season opener with only one real QB on the roster.

Because all of the other backs have been claimed. It's desperation time there.

Jake Fromm isn't a 'real' QB

Have you looked at the Jets or the Raiders backup QBs?

Even if they're desperate, there's a bunch of guys on Fromm's level (or better) that they could get instead of giving up a draft pick for Fromm

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, Bortles might be the best available for Atlanta.   Kind of wonder why he's available though.

Also, Denver's QB situation last year was terrible - Drew Lock with Jeff Driscoll and Brett Rypien behind him. You would think that Bortles was a more appealing backup option than those stiffs.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Also, Denver's QB situation last year was terrible - Drew Lock with Jeff Driscoll and Brett Rypien behind him. You would think that Bortles was a more appealing backup option than those stiffs.

You really would.  Fitzpatrick has commented on how being a backup is a very different role, you kind of have to wonder if it's a mental/team chemistry thing where he hasn't made that adjustment

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Jake Fromm isn't a 'real' QB

Have you looked at the Jets or the Raiders backup QBs?

Even if they're desperate, there's a bunch of guys on Fromm's level (or better) that they could get instead of giving up a draft pick for Fromm

Why isn't he a real QB? Super-productive for years in the toughest college conference (to the point where he basically had helped UGA win a national championship if not for a crazy defensive breakdown in OT), drafted in the fifth round by a good organization, regarded by just about everyone as a mid-round draftable prospect ... I'm not saying he's great but this isn't Gary Marangi we're talking about here. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well that news does make it a bit more possible.  If not for a backup certainly might be worth a 2023 6th conditional for Fromm to be a 3rd string

development guy.  They get him on a cheap rookie contract (especially after Bills eats his bonus money).

Beane on the other hand saves a pretty good chunk of dead cap (600k).  If Fromm is cut he will maybe get picked up on waivers BUT he will

be a FA if he clears and may sign with ATL anyway if they wanted him.  If Beane cuts him he got to guess he won't end up on the Bills PS.

LOL, if I was Beane I'd have one of my guys make a call.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

With AJ McCarron out for the season, ATL has only two QBs on their roster, and one of them is an undrafted rookie free agent (Felipe Franks). I prefer Webb to Fromm, although honestly it's more like six of one/half dozen of the other. Regardless, they're both fine as third stringers, so the Bills aren't creating any vulnerabilities. Rather than wait until cuts and hope they get lucky, Atlanta could secure via a trade a modestly credible backup in Fromm who also happens to be a hometown hero. And if they do it quickly, they'd at least get some camp under Fromm's belt. My view: if the Falcons offered a 4th rounder (or some combination that's equivalent to that) in the 2022 draft, I'd be all over it.   

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/falcons/2021/08/23/aj-mccarron-acl-tear-atlanta-falcons-quarterback/8239250002/

Nice idea.  Fromm is well thought of here in Georgia.  And the Falcons are in deep trouble if Franks ever has to play.  (He was terrible against Miami on Saturday nite.  And he was pretty bad in college to be honest about it)  But a 4th round pick is not going to happen for Jake Fromm at this point in his career.  

I saw the play where AJ got hit.  Did he tear his ACL?  

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Those guys are better.

Rosen better than Fromm? Idk about that Rosen’s been in the league for 4 years and has been on 4 different teams and hasn’t made a home for himself anywhere. And got released after 1 year by the team who drafted him in the 1st round. Dare I say, at this point they are probably the same. 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

With AJ McCarron out for the season, ATL has only two QBs on their roster, and one of them is an undrafted rookie free agent (Felipe Franks). I prefer Webb to Fromm, although honestly it's more like six of one/half dozen of the other. Regardless, they're both fine as third stringers, so the Bills aren't creating any vulnerabilities. Rather than wait until cuts and hope they get lucky, Atlanta could secure via a trade a modestly credible backup in Fromm who also happens to be a hometown hero. And if they do it quickly, they'd at least get some camp under Fromm's belt. My view: if the Falcons offered a 4th rounder (or some combination that's equivalent to that) in the 2022 draft, I'd be all over it.   

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/falcons/2021/08/23/aj-mccarron-acl-tear-atlanta-falcons-quarterback/8239250002/

can you really think that they would trade for Fromm... what you been smoking... you can tell us cuz it is legal now

37 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Why isn't he a real QB? Super-productive for years in the toughest college conference (to the point where he basically had helped UGA win a national championship if not for a crazy defensive breakdown in OT), drafted in the fifth round by a good organization, regarded by just about everyone as a mid-round draftable prospect ... I'm not saying he's great but this isn't Gary Marangi we're talking about here. 

..because Jake Fromm has less preseason success than Nathan Peterman did at this point in their careers. 

Just now, TH3 said:

This thread gets 4 pages but my equally goofy “Trade Daboll” /s thread gets shut down.....wtf?

You have to disguise attention ***** with some stupidity. Your thread was clearly pure comedy. 

Edited by jeremy2020

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Lol to anyone who thinks that Fromm has trade value. I mean really?? 🤣🤣

7 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Fromm has absolutely no trade value

This was my original thinking before. Awhile back I think it was hapless who pointed out to me other guys with really no value Beane moved. 
Cardale, Newhouse, Lee smith, Mccaron, Bodine, Cardale Jones certainly didn’t have more value than Fromm. Maybe a higher upside but still. A 6 or 7 isn’t a bad throwaway pick for an unproven quarterback 

• Like (+1) 1