Training Camp media and practice 8/11

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Tre White interview with Charles Davis:

- "Trust the process" in his first response about whether this team is SB bound

- leading question about the Hail Murray, said it really showed how "together" this team was when they got back into the locker room after that play

- defensive line is crucial, so he said they're just trying to keep those guys happy every day. He was handing out cookies to them yesterday

- Tre was recruited as a WR out of high school but switched to CB at LSU. Says he still has great ball skills because of that. He confirmed that McDermott is pushing the DBs to be more physical during camp, which explains some of the highlights we've seen where they're hitting the receivers early and really getting in their grill

- he's excited to have a full stadium of fans again. He's sure some fans will get stuck out in the tailgating and not even make it into the stadium.

Thought that was one of Tre's better interviews 

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong but I honestly don't think so.  I think Beane is taking to heart the idea that the Backup QB is the 2nd most important guy on the team.

And I’m 100% cool with that. If Allen goes down for any extended period of time, we have a guy that historically wins more than he loses that could come in and keep the bills in the playoffs while Allen heals. 

IMO he’s more valuable in that role than what we could milk out of a trade. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 8

Devin Singletary interview with Charles Davis:

- there's been a lot of learning moments so far in his career. He's trying to put it all together in year 3

- they're trying build on each day in practice. The offense as a whole is talking and collaborating a lot in order to build together.

- Josh Allen is The General. "He gonna bring it every day..." Calls him a dog (so many teammates have been calling him that this year)

- on getting to the SB: stacking good days on good days... (kind of a "trust the process" answer)

- the RB room loves to compete, but they're all in on the same goal together

His answers are much more succinct than Tre White's....

• Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong but I honestly don't think so.  I think Beane is taking to heart the idea that the Backup QB is the 2nd most important guy on the team.

I think this was the key signing of the off season.  Sure Sanders will be fun, but others could have been brought in.  Having a spare QB1 (masquarading as a QB2) that can execute the full Daboll playbook, should it be necessary, gives me great confidence in this team, this year.  I hope they find a few plays for MT this year.  Roll those plays out during the AFC East games.  

4 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

While McDermott isn't (he's a good leader) throwing anybody under the bus, the only sentence that matters is, "...they've all still got work to do".

This is my primary area of concern this year. The interior line was weak last year and the year before and it needs to get better. It seriously impacts the running game and pressure up the middle has been a consistent issue against better defenses.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wentz is on track to be ready week 1 per the colts 

Even so, still have to wonder if they are strongly considering an extra option with the injury history. If I was to bet, I would feel very confident putting my $$ on he will get injured again and probably early in season.

19 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

This is my primary area of concern this year. The interior line was weak last year and the year before and it needs to get better. It seriously impacts the running game and pressure up the middle has been a consistent issue against better defenses.

I concur. Athletic DT's really seem to give them a tough time. They don't seem flexible. They like mauler types but, really, the game is evolving to the point where the athletic DT's and those that substitute for the more run stuffing DT's on passing downs are going to necessitate a look for more athletic OG's. The Bills went 15-4 with them last year but I hope going forward they upgrade.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

I wouldn't trade Trubisky for anything less than a high 3rd. Not this year with this team.

Yeah he may be the best QB2 in the league and you need that insurance. A team would really have to overpay for me to consider it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yep, I remember the Bart Starr/Zeke Bratkowski days at Green Bay when they went all the way!

I don't think Bean is trading MT any time, the "deal" was, when MT signed w the Bills, that he would get to understudy the Daboll/Allen method and have a learning season.  I am thinking that Bean will live up to that promise, as well as keep the 1A Qb that Mitch is.... 

Edited by bigK14094

1 minute ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I wouldn't make that trade.  If Trubisky signs somewhere else after this season, they may get a compensatory third anyway.

Really the best case scenario as far as I am concerned is that Trubisky doesn't need to play this year but next year he goes somewhere else not in the AFC East and starts tearing it up. We'll have a better reputation out there among free agents and I'll take that any day over the draft pick in this scenario.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I wouldn't make that trade.  If Trubisky signs somewhere else after this season, they may get a compensatory third anyway.

Also if he's needed for a couple weeks or so ( god forbid/knock on wood), I feel like he would do well enough to win. I think if he had to play 3 or 4 games, I think he would at least go 2-2 or 3-1. Feel better about him than Barkley by far.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

He confirmed that McDermott is pushing the DBs to be more physical during camp, which explains some of the highlights we've seen where they're hitting the receivers early and really getting in their grill

This is really good coaching by the Bills, surely designed as a response to the way our receivers were pushed around by KC in the Championship game. (Which of course they were not allowed to do the following week vs. Brady’s receivers)

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, FLFan said:

This is really good coaching by the Bills, surely designed as a response to the way our receivers were pushed around by KC in the Championship game. (Which of course they were not allowed to do the following week vs. Brady’s receivers)

Yeah, in the playoffs, they usually let them play the game the way it was supposed to be played... Enter Brady and all that stops.

Be prepared gentlemen, if you practice like it's the playoffs, you will win a lot of games.

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

But he'd only sign a big money deal if he got significant playing time here. And if you think he will get that plkaying time this year, a 3rd isn't worth it anyhow.

I'd think long and hard about a top-100 pick. But I don't like it.

Top-60 and I'd have to do it.

Edited by Tom Donahoe, GM
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Even so, still have to wonder if they are strongly considering an extra option with the injury history. If I was to bet, I would feel very confident putting my $$ on he will get injured again and probably early in season.

Having "bet the Franchise" on Wentz enough to trade for him even with his injury history, I don't think the recent injury changes the Indy FO assessment.

9 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Playoff football.  I think Andy Reid who has had a lot more experience post season understood that better then the Bills.  Remember the Bills-Washington Super Bowl, that was the reason why we lost, imo.  They brutalized our receivers and we had no answer (except a penalty on Reed for losing his cool),

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Playoff football.  I think Andy Reid who has had a lot more experience post season understood that better then the Bills.  Remember the Bills-Washington Super Bowl, that was the reason why we lost, imo.  They brutalized our receivers and we had no answer (except a penalty on Reed for losing his cool),

I agree, playoff football, unless your opponent is Brady apparently.  Good to see they are taking the lesson to heart.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Yes but maybe that’s why Stefon is being held out a lot

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/08/bills-cole-beasley-making-taron-johnson-better-in-training-camp-its-a-cheat-code-day-12-observations.html

Matt Parrino NYUP article.  Steel sharpens Steel and Beasley is making Taron Johnson better:

“I feel like it’s a cheat code that I get to go against him because he’s just making me better every day,” Johnson said. “I think he’s the best slot in the league and that’s what I’m trying to be as a nickel. Just having him to go against every day is just amazing.”

Most days after practice, Johnson said he’ll catch up with Beasley in the locker room and the veteran will just share some wisdom on how the still-developing defensive back can improve. Johnson is entering a contract year and is looking to build off a strong second half of 2020 that culminated in the pick-six return touchdown against the Baltimore Ravens in the divisional round.

Trubisky has his "platitudes" in order:

“I’m just happy to be in a great place now where I’m surrounded by great people, great coaches, great teammates and be on a team where you’re wanted and be part of a great team,” he said

We're likely to see a good bit of hm on Friday since Josh won't play.  What did he show in shorts?

Trubisky had a few nice throws on the day, connecting with Dawson Knox, tight end Bug Howard and Tanner Gentry. He just missed Gabriel Davis, who had single coverage down the left sideline.

Running backs:

With Moss out of the action, Matt Breida shined for a second consecutive day. He broke off one big run up the middle, showing off his explosiveness. He should get some good work against Detroit. Antonio Williams had a good run, finding the hole between a nice block by Jack Anderson and Jamil Douglas.

Zach Moss needs to channel Jon Feliciano, who said last summer "every day I look at my pec in the mirror and say "hurry up, or get left behind" "  It's hopeful that McDermott called it "one day at a time" but those things can linger, so Heal Good before you come back, Zach.

Hollister showing some stuff:

Allen found Hollister twice on the day and the two have picked up right where they left off in Wyoming. Hollister missed a few practices with a back injury but has looked good since returning and he’s moving well. It’s easy to see why Brandon Beane wanted to bring him in to play with Allen. The two were on the same page and both receptions came as a result of a strong route and an immediate read by the quarterback.

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes but maybe that’s why Stefon is being held out a lot

I think Stefon is being held out a lot because he wasn't held out against a really aggressive play by Micah Hyde that injured his knee.

2 hours ago, wjag said:

I think this was the key signing of the off season.  Sure Sanders will be fun, but others could have been brought in.  Having a spare QB1 (masquarading as a QB2) that can execute the full Daboll playbook, should it be necessary, gives me great confidence in this team, this year.  I hope they find a few plays for MT this year.  Roll those plays out during the AFC East games.  

Feel the same about McBeanes getting Trubisky into Buffalo. Astounding effort, Great get. and really best thing for the Kid to get grounded with a Team that has embraced him.
we must have the best backup + Josh = equation in the league.  Do not see that very often for any team.
and we are well prepared for a SB run again. Because of Trubisky being that good in this system

Go Bills

2 hours ago, wjag said:

No, for the same reason that I thought it was dumb for Sean Payton to run plays for Taysom Hill when he had Drew Brees.  If your QB1 is the best player on the team, why do you EVER take the ball out of his hands?

I hope the only action Trubisky sees this season is during the next three weeks and then mop-up duty of blowout wins.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, BubbaT said:

I concur. Athletic DT's really seem to give them a tough time. They don't seem flexible. They like mauler types but, really, the game is evolving to the point where the athletic DT's and those that substitute for the more run stuffing DT's on passing downs are going to necessitate a look for more athletic OG's. The Bills went 15-4 with them last year but I hope going forward they upgrade.

I would expect the O line would look better in all respects regardless of who makes it to the starters and PS.
 McBeane Daboll and likely Frazier know what need to improve from the O line and running game.
Love to see the starters play together all season with minimal breaks from injury. Just to see how much better they play stringing some games together.
Thanks gosh for Next Man Up players last year. We criticized. But they sure did carry us pretty far

to your point Bubba ?  Couple folks here have talked about how they want this O line to look/evolve , and what schemes they will have the best success with  :)

6 hours ago, eball said:

Agreed on all points.  It's the same thing that drives me insane about Chris Brown -- who by the way is nowhere near the journalist Wawrow is.

Lol...Maddy Glab wants a piece of this action

1 hour ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

I wouldn't trade Trubisky for anything less than a high 3rd. Not this year with this team.

Maybe not trade him ?
I love the security blanket he brings.
Not sure we have anyone who could win us a sequence of games if needed. Or carry us in the playoffs , just in case.
Mitch is a very good bet to keep the chains moving

• Agree 1