Do you think the Bills have the best WR group in the NFL?

On WGR, Sal brought this up.  Our top 5 is set.

• Diggs
  • Beasley
  • Sanders
  • Davis
  • McKenzie 

I honestly don't know most teams depth behind their #1 and #2 so I can't give a "knowledgeable" answer.  It's really guess at this point but I can't think of anyone, overall top to bottom, that is absolutely better than us.  

What do you guys think?

The Bills lack a physically dominant WR like Evans or Metcalfe.  I think that the Bills tendency to use multiple TE sets near the goal line is their answer to that.  At all the other parts of the field they are tough to defend and may be the "best."

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mcdermott said:

There are a lot of teams with crazy depth. Dallas comes to mind off the top of my head.

well then lets see lots of teams with depth charts like machine gun kelly posted.  Bills are deep.  Machine Gun Kelly presents a good case.  you dont

Edited by Pete

Diggs

Beasley

Sanders

Davis

McKenzie

Hodgins

is rock solid!  Possible the 3 best route runners in NFL  Davis is a damn good route himself.  It surprises me all the chatter of Buffalo using high pick on WR.  I guess we will line up 5 wide quite often next year

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Diggs

Beasley

Sanders

Davis

McKenzie

Hodgins

is rock solid!  Possible the 3 best route runners in NFL  Davis is a damn good route himself.  It surprises me all the chatter of Buffalo using high pick on WR.  I guess we will line up 5 wide quite often next year

That is something that I think you absolutely could make a strong argument for.  

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

• Diggs
  • Beasley
  • Sanders
  • Davis
  • McKenzie 

I honestly don't know most teams depth behind their #1 and #2 so I can't give a "knowledgeable" answer.  It's really guess at this point but I can't think of anyone, overall top to bottom, that is absolutely better than us.  

What do you guys think?

If the question was WR pairs (#1 and #2) I personally don’t think we’d be that high... probably top 10. 

WR I think we’re top 3 with Tampa Bay and Dallas in terms of raw talent. Atlanta might be on the periphery. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure I'd say they're better than the Bils but Dolphins has a VERY interesting receiving core with a TON of potential.

Davante Parker, Preston Williams, Will Fuller, Lynn Bowden and Jakeem Grant. Couple this with Gesicki and Shaheen. I like this group a lot. 

I also like the Giants group. 

Galloday, Sterling Shep, Slayton, John Ross, Rudolph, and Ingram . 

Again, I'm not sure they are better than the Bills, just some groups I really like. 

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Who's got Robert Foster now?

Dolphins.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

• Diggs
  • Beasley
  • Sanders
  • Davis
  • McKenzie 

What do you guys think?

Left off Tanner Gentry.  He puts the group over the top.  

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

John, agreed on Tampa.  I give them the edge simply because of the soar subject of TE’s.

Evans

Godwin

Miller

Brate

Gronk

Howard

Dunno, it's close for me. I feel like you guys are being too hard on Knox and Hollister, if you're listing Brate and past prime Gronk.

27 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I've been hearing the name Preston Williams a lot for the Dolphins in other threads.

What makes his so good?  The guy can't stay healthy and has 50 catches in the last two years.  

Right but that doesn't take away from his talent. He's a big body, can catch, and is pretty fast. Look up some of his tape, I think you'll come away pretty impressed.

35 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Dunno, it's close for me. I feel like you guys are being too hard on Knox and Hollister, if you're listing Brate and past prime Gronk.

I agree, Gronk was nothing to be afraid of this past year and Brate ...... is Brate. I like Howard but they don't use him so I'm unsure about his ability anymore.

25 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Right but that doesn't take away from his talent. He's a big body, can catch, and is pretty fast. Look up some of his tape, I think you'll come away pretty impressed.

I agree, Gronk was nothing to be afraid of this past year and Brate ...... is Brate. I like Howard but they don't use him so I'm unsure about his ability anymore.

When does production actually come into play?  In 16 career games, 50 catches and 44 yards per game average.  Those are very pedestrian.  

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

When does production actually come into play?  In 16 career games, 50 catches and 44 yards per game average.  Those are very pedestrian.  

So in 16 games (one full season) at 23 years old... have 50 catches and 714 yards with 7 TD's isn't good? If Gabe Davis had that last year, what would you have said? 

Oh and he was undrafted. His talent is very apparent. 

2 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

So in 16 games (one full season) at 23 years old... have 50 catches and 714 yards with 7 TD's isn't good? If Gabe Davis had that last year, what would you have said? 

Oh and he was undrafted. His talent is very apparent. 

If Gabe Davis averaged 25 catches per year, 3.5 TD's and roughly 350 yards in his first two years....I think I would be a little disappointed.

Being undrafted makes his talent even better?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Gabe Davis averaged 25 catches per year, 3.5 TD's and roughly 350 yards in his first two years....I think I would be a little disappointed.

Being undrafted makes his talent even better?

You brought up the career games, YPG, catches, but didn't bring up how many years it was over, just game numbers. If you put them together, those numbers are VERY solid. 

If you want to expand it over 2 years, fine(which you didn't do in your first response to me). That doesn't take away from his talent. Again, go watch his tape and look at the talent. One more time, its VERY apparent. 

No being undrafted doesn't make his talent better, it was just an additional comment.

I can see the argument for top 5, but to me, the Bucs are the easy #1.   The Bills lack a physical presence, I really would have liked to seen them try to address it, but those guys and the money it takes to bring them in, don’t grow on trees.  Going way back, they could have just taken Evans instead of Watkins, but those are days past.

4 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

The Dallas Cowboys are the only team in the NFL with three #1 WRs.

3 #1s is a stretch, but they do have the most talented pair and a really good #2 playing as a #3.  The argument could be made for them on just Lamb and Cooper alone, so I agree they definitely have to be considered in the conversation.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What about Arizona?

Hopkins is best WR in football paired with Fitzgerald and now AJ Green.

Bills are deeper but AZ is in the conversation 

Fitzgerald is barely a shadow of himself. AJ Green has been hurt and ineffective for years, so it's tough to know how good he'll be. But I would bet he is pretty over the hill.

1 minute ago, warrior9 said:

You brought up the career games, YPG, catches, but didn't bring up how many years it was over, just game numbers. If you put them together, those numbers are VERY solid. 

If you want to expand it over 2 years, fine(which you didn't do in your first response to me). That doesn't take away from his talent. Again, go watch his tape and look at the talent. One more time, its VERY apparent. 

No being undrafted doesn't make his talent better, it was just an additional comment.

I brought up career games because the math was simple enough to figure about per game average.

I never said he was bad but people seem to act like he's this major weapon.  

So you're saying I should watch his highlight tape to see his talent?  I don't have time (or desire) to watch his game film over the 16 games.  I'm assuming with your comment, you've watched game film.

He had 288 yards receiving and 18 catches in 8 games last year.  So lets do a 16 game of 2020.  36 catches and under 576 yards and 8 TD's (pretty good).

His targets, yards and receptions all declined by around 40% in 2020 from 2019.  Why was that in the same amount of games played?

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What about Arizona?

Hopkins is best WR in football paired with Fitzgerald and now AJ Green.

Bills are deeper but AZ is in the conversation 

Fitgerald and Green are well, well past their primes...Green was very ineffective last year and Fiztgerald is on his last legs...

Just now, MJS said:

Fitzgerald is barely a shadow of himself. AJ Green has been hurt and ineffective for years, so it's tough to know how good he'll be. But I would bet he is pretty over the hill.

Fitz at this point is 37 years old and still able to play in the NFL.  There’s just no way to expect him to be what he was in his prime, but I think any team would be pretty thrilled to have him as a #3 or 4, he’s a possession monster.   AJ Green to me is the Clowney of WRs, he has accounted for a crazy number of tipped interceptions.  He’s a flash play guy, but a guy I’m honestly not upset the Bills didn’t draft oh and he hasn’t been healthy in years.  Then there is D-Hop, arguably the best in the game, so yeah, I’m with you, they aren’t in the conversation at this point in their careers.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

• Diggs
  • Beasley
  • Sanders
  • Davis
  • McKenzie 

What do you guys think?

I think "best is as best does".  I lost my appetite for being happy about how a Bills position group looks "on paper" in the year 2012.

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

Top 3 for sure. Big change compared to 2017.

IMHO Kumerow would have been our best WR had he been on the roster in 2017 and thats saying something.

Ouch.

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Who's got Robert Foster now?

He just signed with Miami.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Route running they're probably the best group. No one is physically dominant, but create a lot of separation. 

Looking at Sanders 2020 highlights, he looks to be pretty physical...unless he hits the age wall, I think he gives us a physical prescience we haven't had in a long time

1 minute ago, Buftex said:

He just signed with Miami.

Looking at Sanders 2020 highlights, he looks to be pretty physical...unless he hits the age wall, I think he gives us a physical prescience we haven't had in a long time

I'm saying that 6'2+ 215lb+ guy that wins with size. 

Both Diggs and Sanders can make contested catches pretty routinely. Diggs one of the best in the NFL.