New Jets WR Corey Davis insinuates that Sam Darnold will be the Jets' starting QB in 2021

Logic

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31121603/new-york-jets-wr-corey-davis-expects-sam-darnold-team-qb-season

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets are keeping their quarterback plans hush-hush, but wide receiver Corey Davis said Tuesday he signed with the team based on the belief that Sam Darnold will return as the starter.

"Obviously, I'm coming with my understanding that Sam is the guy," Davis said in Zoom call with reporters. "That doesn't scare me away at all. I've seen Sam do great things and I have all the belief in him. Whatever direction they decide to go, it's on me to make sure that I'm ready."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I think they move on from Sam and take Zach Wilson with the #2 pick. 

They might. Most analysts have Darnold rated higher than Wilson as prospects. But I understand if they want to reboot the QB clock. They get 4-5 years of a QB on a rookie deal vs 1-2 years.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why?  Darnold is better than Wilson.

Darnold is terrible. He was making the same mistakes last year that he was in his rookie year. Granted he was a crap team and Gase sucked as a HC but he has to share some of the blame. Look at how Allen has progressed. Yes he is on a better team but Josh worked extremely hard to improve his game. That is what his coaches and teammates say. The game has slowed down for Josh. For Darnold it looks like it hasn't.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why?  Darnold is better than Wilson.

Wilson is new and shiny, there's a new GM/HC that didn't draft Darnold. While I'm not sold on Wilson I think Darnold has shown he doesn't have the "it" in him to be a starting QB at this time. Maybe a change of scenery do him wonders. 

I like Darnold but him being on the last year of his rookie deal makes him not fit the Jets rebuilding timeline. The Jets are best off drafting a rookie at pick 2 and trading Darnold for a pick or two and using those picks and their other picks to build around a rookie who will fit the Jets 3 year rebuild. 

Unless Darnold wants to sign a mini extension at a low ball rate I don’t see him fitting what they want to do which is a full on rebuild.

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Wilson is new and shiny, there's a new GM/HC that didn't draft Darnold. While I'm not sold on Wilson I think Darnold has shown he doesn't have the "it" in him to be a starting QB at this time. Maybe a change of scenery do him wonders. 

I think Darnold can be a starter but he needs a different situation. I would like to see him end up on a team with a vet Qb in place and take over a better team in a year or two.

5 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Darnold is terrible. He was making the same mistakes last year that he was in his rookie year. Granted he was a crap team and Gase sucked as a HC but he has to share some of the blame. Look at how Allen has progressed. Yes he is on a better team but Josh worked extremely hard to improve his game. That is what his coaches and teammates say. The game has slowed down for Josh. For Darnold it looks like it hasn't.

The difference between a QB looking “ok” with poor to middling receivers and very good with some real weapons can be surprising.  See how much better Josh Allen was when he got some receivers who could get open frequently?

31 minutes ago, Greg S said:

The Jets suck.  Picking some Johnny come lately from BYU won't change that.  Why would he thrive on that Jets team?

Also, no point comparing the Jets to the Bills in any way--it doesn't help your argument.

30 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I think he would be just fine on the Bills if he and Josh's situations had flipped.  Again, trading him to bring in another rookie makes little sense.

• Disagree 4

11 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Darnold can play in the NFL.  I am a little surprised there hasn't been a deal....moving him.  Of course, I recall Aaron Roger spent a couple of seasons on the bench watching Brett Farve.  Then again, Darnold is not Farve........

There's a difference in perception of Darnold between the analysts/media and coaches/execs/scouts in the league. This guy here asked around and this was one of the responses:

He goes on to highlight how a former GM would have Darnold as QB4 in this draft class. He also points out how guys like Fitz and Tyrod were signed and a trade for Wentz happened while there's been zero on any sort of news of Darnold being moved. I didn't really see it when he was coming out of USC. He's accurate, but I think his arm, his reading of the defense and his pocket awareness are all average or below. I also don't think he has that hyped up sense of competitiveness you see in a lot of guys. It doesn't look like teammates gravitate towards him or rally around him. He's just kinda there. I'm sure he's a good kid and a nice guy I just think he ended up getting a bit overrated. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Jets suck.  Picking some Johnny come lately from BYU won't change that.  Why would he thrive on that Jets team?

Also, no point comparing the Jets to the Bills in any way--it doesn't help your argument.

I think he would be just fine on the Bills if he and Josh's situations had flipped.  Again, trading him to bring in another rookie makes little sense.

Joe Douglas didn't draft him and they have a new coaching staff. It does make sense if they want to move on from Darnold and start over. They would get Wilson/Fields on a rookie deal. They might not want to pick up the option of Darnold. Plus he sucks. Ask any Jets fan. I have seasons to the Jets so I have seen him plenty. He sucks.

This is good news for the Bills.

26 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Darnold can play in the NFL.  I am a little surprised there hasn't been a deal....moving him.  Of course, I recall Aaron Roger spent a couple of seasons on the bench watching Brett Farve.  Then again, Darnold is not Farve........

Darnold isn't cut out for the NFL, he has zero leadership skills you can tell that int he field and in his press conferences. He just isn't a good QB.

That tells me two things:

A.  The Jets havent received a decent offer for Darnold

B.  The Jets think the combination of Darnold and a rookie is better than what they can get in free agency.

There is absolutely no way the Jets dont pick a Quarterback at #2.   Darnold will start the year if he can beat out the rookie, and will be a free agent next year.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If the FO sees more potential in Wilson than Darnold, then yes, it makes sense.

If they see a future with Darnold, then no, it wouldn't make any sense.

9 minutes ago, TBBills said:

This is good news for the Bills.

Darnold isn't cut out for the NFL, he has zero leadership skills you can tell that int he field and in his press conferences. He just isn't a good QB.

The one thing I noticed about Darnold is he has the overwhelmed look a lot.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Joe Douglas didn't draft him and they have a new coaching staff. It does make sense if they want to move on from Darnold and start over. They would get Wilson/Fields on a rookie deal. They might not want to pick up the option of Darnold. Plus he sucks. Ask any Jets fan. I have seasons to the Jets so I have seen him plenty. He sucks.

Fields!!  lol

We'll ask you again in 3 years...and then 3 years after that...

I’m actually a little torn on them. 
I think Saleh was the best hire and candidate out there. I think they are going to be one of the toughest teams in the league as far as playing physical. I don’t think Darnold is as terrible as he’s put on tape. Give him a strong run game and some play action and I think he could be in the top 15 range in the league. I think he stays. Even if they go quarterback at 2 I think they sit the rookie and let Sam finish his rookie deal out and take the lumps one more year. 

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If the FO sees more potential in Wilson than Darnold, then yes, it makes sense.

If they see a future with Darnold, then no, it wouldn't make any sense.

The one thing I noticed about Darnold is he has the overwhelmed look a lot.

The Jets looked overwhelmed weekly.  

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

And Darnold isn't helping.  He's been bad.

Which yet to be QB is going to help more?

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

My dream scenario would be to have Darnold, Tua, and Newton be the starting AFC East QB's next year.  I don't want Watson or Z. Wilson in our division.

This already happened.

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Fields!!  lol

We'll ask you again in 3 years...and then 3 years after that...

I think they take Wilson. I just threw Fields in their as another option. Lawrence will go #1 . I think Wilson is the pick at #2. We will find out.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This already happened.

I didn't know it was early September already.  Jets would be nuts to continue with Darnold who still is seeing ghosts.  Dolphins have more ammunition than any to go and get Watson who could be had at a discount now.  The Pats pry stick with Newton but will bring in someone to compete with him in training camp.  I don't know if that's a draft pick or they swing a trade for Garappalo.  Maybe they bring in Mariota.  

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

weo doesn't exactly like reality

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Agreed with this.... I think it’s obvious the division isn’t going to be nearly as bad as it was last season. The Jets and Patriots will both be much improved, and depending on Tua’s growth, the Dolphins will be as well.... just gotta hope Allen continues his ridiculously good play and the division should be the Bills again in 2021.

The Jets will be good eventually one day.  Just keep saying it every year and at some point you’ll be right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

I think they take Wilson. I just threw Fields in their as another option. Lawrence will go #1 . I think Wilson is the pick at #2. We will find out.

That would be Jetsian.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you saying it's 100% impossible Wilson can be better than Darnold?

No.  That's not the standard for this discussion.

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I didn't know it was early September already.  Jets would be nuts to continue with Darnold who still is seeing ghosts.  Dolphins have more ammunition than any to go and get Watson who could be had at a discount now.  The Pats pry stick with Newton but will bring in someone to compete with him in training camp.  I don't know if that's a draft pick or they swing a trade for Garappalo.  Maybe they bring in Mariota.  

The year was 2020.  Darnold/Newton/Tua already happened.  Your dream came true....

6 hours ago, Logic said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31121603/new-york-jets-wr-corey-davis-expects-sam-darnold-team-qb-season

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets are keeping their quarterback plans hush-hush, but wide receiver Corey Davis said Tuesday he signed with the team based on the belief that Sam Darnold will return as the starter.

"Obviously, I'm coming with my understanding that Sam is the guy," Davis said in Zoom call with reporters. "That doesn't scare me away at all. I've seen Sam do great things and I have all the belief in him. Whatever direction they decide to go, it's on me to make sure that I'm ready."

Sam's stock is the lowest it's ever been. You can draft a 1st rd QB and let him sit for a year and try to rehab Darnold's trade value.

38 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

My bold draft prediction is the Jets draft Trey Lance and keep Darnold for the year to let Lance develop behind him.

I can't see them taking Lance over Wilson.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

even if that is, say, 95% impossible?

Well if they feel its 95% impossible then they won’t draft him.  They obviously will only draft him of they are very confident he will bet better.  Darnold isn’t a very good QB so its not like you’re potentially replacing an All Pro.