New Jets WR Corey Davis insinuates that Sam Darnold will be the Jets' starting QB in 2021

Logic

Good, because Sam is not nearly as good as our QB, but hell, all of the teams in our division suffer that very same reality... 

USC QB I think that says it all ;) 

I was praying he wouldn't be there when the Bills picked......I wanted Baker or Josh Allen.

The three I didn't want were Sam , the wrong Josh or Jackson

BTW I hope he starts again this year he just doesn't look good.

Edited by JMF2006

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

My dream scenario would be to have Darnold, Tua, and Newton be the starting AFC East QB's next year.  I don't want Watson or Z. Wilson in our division.

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This already happened.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The year was 2020.  Darnold/Newton/Tua already happened.  Your dream came true....

Look at the bold.

14 hours ago, Greg S said:

I think they move on from Sam and take Zach Wilson with the #2 pick. 

Cris Sims agrees and sees Wilson as the clear best qb in this class, and said he has superstar talent. Sees Jets running to the podium if Jags stick w Trevor. 

8 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Sam's stock is the lowest it's ever been. You can draft a 1st rd QB and let him sit for a year and try to rehab Darnold's trade value.

Darnold seems like the kind of guy who would be perfectly happy being a backup; maybe that’s his calling.

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

even if that is, say, 95% impossible?

Watched a lot of Zack Wilson film, huh?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

I would either trade out of it or take Sewell and build around Sam. 

The Jets drafted a LT (Becton) last year and he is an absolute stud.  They are not in the Penei Sewell market.

Just now, BruceVilanch said:

ahh, I forgot about that, yeah, Becton is going to be an All Pro in the next few years.

Sewell is going to be good; it’s too bad he sat out this year.  Could see him landing with the Bengals...

31 minutes ago, mannc said:

Sewell is going to be good; it’s too bad he sat out this year.

Yeah, it's crazy that he's only 20 years old and was dominating guys in D1 at 18 and 19. and as a big Ducks fan, it was hugely disappointing not watching him play, it's rare that I focused on OL and he caught my eye every game, he bull dozed guys on a regular basis.

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Darnold seems like the kind of guy who would be perfectly happy being a backup; maybe that’s his calling.

Watched a lot of Zack Wilson film, huh?

No I've still got a ton of Dan Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Rosen, Trubisky and Paxton Lynch film to plow through.

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No I've still got a ton of Dan Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Rosen, Trubisky and Paxton Lynch film to plow through.

They sucked, ergo Wilson sucks?  That’s your argument?

17 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

The difference between a QB looking “ok” with poor to middling receivers and very good with some real weapons can be surprising.  See how much better Josh Allen was when he got some receivers who could get open frequently?

From the get-go, Allen demonstrated remarkable leadership and the ability to learn from his mistakes even when he was a raw, poorly coached rookie on a team with limited offensive talent.   Allen's improvement between his rookie and sophomore seasons was remarkable, and last year, he successfully mastered his tendency to play "hero ball".   Darnold is essentially still the same QB he was a rookie, which suggests that he's not going to get better. 

16 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I didn't know it was early September already.  Jets would be nuts to continue with Darnold who still is seeing ghosts.  Dolphins have more ammunition than any to go and get Watson who could be had at a discount now.  The Pats pry stick with Newton but will bring in someone to compete with him in training camp.  I don't know if that's a draft pick or they swing a trade for Garappalo.  Maybe they bring in Mariota.  

Why would Belichick want Garappalo back?   Is he better than Cam at this point in their careers?  Probably, but he's not worth his contract or whatever the Pats would have to give up to get him.

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think they could see the success the Bills have had developing Allen and believe they could do the same thing with Trey Lance. He has similar traits and flaws.

A couple of weeks ago, one of the shows on NFLN had a piece on Lance, and brought up the comparisons to Allen.  One of the commentators called Josh Allen a unicorn - the mythical beast GM/HC hopes to find but rarely does.   Every draft there's probably at least one "project" QB with tons of raw talent that teams hope can become a great QB by refining his skills, but almost none of them ever actually do.  I think there have only been 3 in the last 20 years who have truly turned into great QBs ...  Tom Brady (2000 - 6th round), Tony Romo (2003 - UDFA), and Josh Allen (2018 - 1st round).  

Somebody will probably spend a first round pick on Lance, but the chances of him becoming a great QB are pretty miniscule.

8 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Does anyone think theres some chance they draft Pitts?

Everyone in the AFC East knows how much of a game changer a top TE is. They are almost as hard to find as a good QB.

I think that TE is a position much like interior OLers: you can find good/great ones well outside of the first round ... and frequently outside the first round.

17 hours ago, Greg S said:

I think they take Wilson. I just threw Fields in their as another option. Lawrence will go #1 . I think Wilson is the pick at #2. We will find out.

Agreed.  Them taking a QB is my bet too.  It’s that or they’re trading out with a team that will.  Side note: The coaches and front office in Jersey aren’t consulting Corey Davis about whether or not to draft a QB this year. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They were overdrafted and under-delivered.  And none of their teams already had a 1st round QB on his rookie contract on the roster.

Let me ask again: Do you have any specific insights into Zack Wilson that make you think he will not succeed as an NFL QB? Or are you just projecting based on the fact that some other first round quarterbacks didn’t pan out recently?

Edited by mannc

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Let me ask again: Do you have any specific  insights into Zack Wilson that makes you think he will not succeed as an NFL QB? Or are you just projecting based on the fact that some other first round quarterbacks didn’t pan out recently?

The logic that a team that everyone here knows sucked--it's roster sucked and it's coaching staff sucked--did not negatively affect the performance of it's rookie QB, but a new coaching staff and a new rookie QB will fare better on the same roster escapes me.  You might make more sense if we were talking about Lawrence. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The logic that a team that everyone here knows sucked--it's roster sucked and it's coaching staff sucked--did not negatively affect the performance of it's rookie QB, but a new coaching staff and a new rookie QB will fare better on the same roster escapes me.  You might make more sense if we were talking about Lawrence. 

Not the same roster and not the same coach.  The Jets will look very different this year, especially if they draft Wilson and ditch Darnold.  If you think Darnold wasn’t part of the problem, then you haven’t watched the last four years of his career.  He blows.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Not the same roster and not the same coach.  The Jets will look very different this year, especially if they draft Wilson and ditch Darnold.  If you think Darnold wasn’t part of the problem, then you haven’t watched the last four years of his career.  He blows.

He was part of the problem.  The main problem is gone.  Why do you think Wilson will be an immediate improvement?

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

The Jets will be looking for a new HC soon.

Saleh was a good DC with SF. His players ran thru a wall for him. He had a very good year last year considering all the players they lost on that side of the ball. Can he make the transition to being "the guy" in charge of everything. We shall see but it's hard to see him not being a major improvement over Gase. I hope he fails but I think he will get a real chance (3 years) to turn around the Jets.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was part of the problem.  The main problem is gone.  Why do you think Wilson will be an immediate improvement?

Nope, not going to let you move the goalposts, which you absolutely love to do.  You started this by saying that the Jets would be foolish to draft Wilson.  You supported your argument by pointing to several recent first round QB busts, while conveniently ignoring guys like Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen.  

The issue isn't whether Wilson provides an immediate upgrade over Darnold, who sucked for three years, although I certainly think there's a good chance he will.  The question is whether the Jets should take Wilson at 2 because he'll be a better pro than Darnold.  I don't pretend to watch a ton of tape on college QBs, although I've seen Wilson play a couple times.  But NFL analysts I trust, especially Chris Simms, believe Wilson is going to be a great NFL QB and will have an immediate impact.  If Wilson is anything close to what we're hearing about him, then the Jets would be idiots not to take him at 2 and, to answer your new argument as well, it would be hard for him NOT to be an immediate upgrade from Darnold.  Because Darnold blows, and has since his last year at USC.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, mannc said:

Nope, not going to let you move the goalposts, which you absolutely love to do.  You started this by saying that the Jets would be foolish to draft Wilson.  You supported your argument by pointing to several recent first round QB busts, while conveniently ignoring guys like Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen.  

The issue isn't whether Wilson provides an immediate upgrade over Darnold, who sucked for three years, although I certainly think there's a good chance he will.  The question is whether the Jets should take Wilson at 2 because he'll be a better pro than Darnold.  I don't pretend to watch a ton of tape on college QBs, although I've seen Wilson play a couple times.  But NFL analysts I trust, especially Chris Simms, believe Wilson is going to be a great NFL QB and will have an immediate impact.  If Wilson is anything close to what we're hearing about him, then the Jets would be idiots not to take him at 2 and, to answer your new argument as well, it would be hard for him NOT to be an immediate upgrade from Darnold.  Because Darnold blows, and has since his last year at USC.  

He didn't "blow" in his final year at USC. He had a moderately decent second NFL season too. To be sure, the numbers/production overall aren't great so far. But he's only 23. I'd reserve judgment. He has real talent.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I stand by that.  Then you challenged my position by asking if I've been watching a lot of Wilson's game film.  Now you say you say you have formed your conclusion of Wilson's future superiority over Darnold as a Jets starting QB by watching hardly any film at all.

We get it, you think Darnold blows.

As for Burrow (and to some extent, Mahomes), it wasn't hard to conclude he was going to be a star in the NFL.  We saw it every week of his LSU season on TV.

41 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He didn't "blow" in his final year at USC. He had a moderately decent second NFL season too. To be sure, the numbers/production overall aren't great so far. But he's only 23. I'd reserve judgment. He has real talent.

This is where we disagree.  I don't believe Darnold has a single elite NFL QB trait, which is the same reason I don't think Tua is ever going to pan out.  He's got an average (at best) NFL arm, average size, average mobility, below average intangibles, and below average ball security.  I know he's still young, but I just don't see the upside with Darnold.  And for the record, he stunk his last year at USC; he was a turnover factory on a team with plenty of talent, and he's continued to turn the ball over too much the NFL.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I stand by that.  Then you challenged my position by asking if I've been watching a lot of Wilson's game film.  Now you say you say you have formed your conclusion of Wilson's future superiority over Darnold as a Jets starting QB by watching hardly any film at all.

We get it, you think Darnold blows.

As for Burrow (and to some extent, Mahomes), it wasn't hard to conclude he was going to be a star in the NFL.  We saw it every week of his LSU season on TV.

So what's your basis for believing Wilson won't be any good?  You've still not answered that question.

15 minutes ago, mannc said:

This is where we disagree.  I don't believe Darnold has a single elite NFL QB trait, which is the same reason I don't think Tua is ever going to pan out.  He's got an average (at best) NFL arm, average size, average mobility, below average intangibles, and below average ball security.  I know he's still young, but I just don't see the upside with Darnold.  And for the record, he stunk his last year at USC; he was a turnover factory on a team with plenty of talent, and he's continued to turn the ball over too much the NFL.

So what's your basis for believing Wilson won't be any good?  You've still not answered that question.

We shall see. I am in agreement with you about Tua, although I think the most serious problem for him is the hip injury, which clearly impacted his play last year (as film analysis showed). I have no idea whether it'll be 100 percent again. 

18 minutes ago, mannc said:

I already did.   I don't see any of the QBs coming out except maybe Lawrence (a guy who has played against solid competition in college on national TV for 3 years as starter)  who could step in and immediately have more success than the guy who has been there a few years but has been hampered by bad coaching and lack of playmakers.  Pretty simple.

Because of Burrow (and maybe even Josh), now every one year wonder will be the next Joe or Josh.  This kid was on no one's radar last year as top 25 QB.  His team just  beat up on Navy, Troy, Louisiana Tech, North Alabama, Western Kentucky, Texas State....as they aren't in any conference. 

I may be wrong (I'm not  as passionate about Darnold as you seem to be).

Edited by Mr. WEO

37 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

We shall see. I am in agreement with you about Tua, although I think the most serious problem for him is the hip injury, which clearly impacted his play last year (as film analysis showed). I have no idea whether it'll be 100 percent again. 

I'm not sure we will see about Darnold.  I doubt he gets an opportunity to start anywhere in 2021.  As for Tua, I bet he doesn't finish the year as the Dolphins' starter.

39 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I already did.   I don't see any of the QBs coming out except maybe Lawrence (a guy who has played against solid competition in college on national TV for 3 years as starter)  who could step in and immediately have more success than the guy who has been there a few years but has been hampered by bad coaching and lack of playmakers.  Pretty simple.

Because of Burrow (and maybe even Josh), now every one year wonder will be the next Joe or Josh.  This kid was on no one's radar last year as top 25 QB.  His team just  beat up on Navy, Troy, Louisiana Tech, North Alabama, Western Kentucky, Texas State....as they aren't in any conference. 

I may be wrong (I'm not  as passionate about Darnold as you seem to be).

If I'm not mistaken, Wilson is at three-year starter at BYU and played well all three years, including as a true freshman.  And I don't think the level of competition is much of a concern because (1) he wasn't exactly surrounded by a bunch or 4 and 5-star guys himself, and (2) BYU at least played a decent Division 1 schedule and they weren't just destroying teams with their superior personnel, like Clemson, Alabama and to some extent, Ohio State.  Mahomes and Josh Allen certainly didn't play against awesome competition, either.

And while Trevor Lawrence played at a high level for three years, I'd be a little concerned about the evaluation because Clemson was just so far superior to most of the teams they've played the past three years, although I definitely think he will be a good NFL QB. 

I agree with you about Fields; I would not take him in the first round.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

If I'm not mistaken, Wilson is at three-year starter at BYU and played well all three years, including as a true freshman.  And I don't think the level of competition is much of a concern because (1) he wasn't exactly surrounded by a bunch or 4 and 5-star guys himself, and (2) BYU at least played a decent Division 1 schedule and they weren't just destroying teams with their superior personnel, like Clemson, Alabama and to some extent, Ohio State.  Mahomes and Josh Allen certainly didn't play against awesome competition, either.

And while Trevor Lawrence played at a high level for three years, I'd be a little concerned about the evaluation because Clemson was just so far superior to most of the teams they've played the past three years, although I definitely think he will be a good NFL QB. 

I agree with you about Fields; I would not take him in the first round.

Like I said, now everyone will think there's one in every draft.  BYU played mostly nobodies.  Those scores say it all.  As an example, they beat "UNA" 66-14 on 16 passes (4 TDs).

Wilson did nothing of note in his career until this past year.  Previous 2 he was 11, 12 TDs with no passing over 2400.   TheRinger described him as a "draft afterthought" when the season started.  

Lawrence folded in big games.

Fields will be an OSU legend for that 1 game.  

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Like I said, now everyone will think there's one in every draft.  BYU played mostly nobodies.  Those scores say it all.  As an example, they beat "UNA" 66-14 on 16 passes (4 TDs).

Wilson did nothing of note in his career until this past year.  Previous 2 he was 11, 12 TDs with no passing over 2400.   TheRinger described him as a "draft afterthought" when the season started.  

Lawrence folded in big games.

Fields will be an OSU legend for that 1 game.  

So your negative evaluation of Wilson is based on BYU's strength of schedule and the fact that he wasn't awesome his first two seasons, including as a true Freshman.  Did you see any of BYU's games?  Was BYU physically superior to nearly everyone they played, like Clemson and Alabama were?  I doubt it.  Which QBs have you liked coming out of college the past three years?  Any of them?

20 hours ago, HappyDays said:

My bold draft prediction is the Jets draft Trey Lance and keep Darnold for the year to let Lance develop behind him.

I think this option buys you another year as hc/gm then theyd get if they started him. Evaluate talent for the year, get a chance to let the rookie soak stuff up without being overwhelmed. Pick in the top 10 again next year, and treat next year like year one. I think its a ball-less move, but probably a smart one if it was my livlihood on the line.

They already need several years to put a competent team on the field, if youre going to blow it up, im doing it 100%, not 90, not 95. Got alot of weeding out to do, and im making damn sure, anyone carrying a drop of that previous culture over, is goneeee. 

Flip side is i dont care. I hope they stink for eternity lol

Edited by BillsShredder83