[Vague Title] Is this it with cuts/restructures?

51 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Well... part of the problem (i think) is that our IDL could not get any penetration to force the QB out of the pocket. What good is it if our edge rushers beat their man but the QB can simply step up into the pocket and step into his throw? Pressure is a concerted effort amongst the entire DL. Pressure inside is vital to any DE’s success.. Even if you don’t get 20 sacks like Donald or Jones, you still need disrupters there, even if it doesn’t show on the stat sheet. DT can be a thankless job but absolutely vital in terms of stopping elite QBs like Brady or Mahomes. Need a stud DT as much as we need a stud DE.

Addison rarely ever beats his man. Every time he beats his man. He gets a sack. That’s the way it was in Carolina. That’s the way it was in year 1 buffalo. I don’t have a link, but I’ve read them several times over the past year.  His pass rush win rate is very low and he has a very high sack rate per times won.  Which would be fine....if he beat his man more often.  He rarely does   He’s not a disruptor at all.  Jerry is a disruptor.  He beats his man.  Jerry has around half the sacks as Addison over the last 4-5 years.....he’s twice the player. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

No, this isn't it. Lee Smith is an easy cut or he might retire, either way that's 2.25 million saved. I also think Jerry Hughes will rework his deal to save some money I could see the Bills getting an additional 2-3 million from Hughes deal. I also think they have to ask about Addision either reworking his deal or getting cut. I also think they will be retooling the Dawkins, Diggs, White and Poyer contracts to save money. None of those guys are taking a pay cut but this team can convert base salary into signing bonuses and free up a lot of cap space.

I think the two most likely to be reworked are Dawkins and White.

White's contract runs through 2025.  He's due $10.5M salary.  The Bills could easily take $6M, convert it to a signing bonus, and split it over 5 years to save $4.8M this season.  Since he's viewed as a key piece of the team, the chance of our wanting to move on within that timeframe is minimal.

Dawkins contract runs through 2024.  He's due $7.3M.  Bills could convert $6M to a signing bonus, do the same thing, $4.5M savings.

In both cases, their salaries for this year are fully guaranteed, though - so  I don't know what impact that has on negotiations (I would think minimal, since it's taking money that's guaranteed and just paying it on a different timeline)

Diggs, I think, is not gonna want to rework his contract without a substantial pay raise.  That may be an issue the Bills don't want to raise right now.  Poyer has two years left on his contract so the savings from re-working his contract are lower - maybe a couple million.

How do you conceptualize Jerry Hughes reworking his contract to get an additional $2-3M?

I’m assuming Bills have a little over $20m in Cap room right now.  There’s probably another $10m out there in a Hughes extension, Addison pay cut, Lee Smith retirement.  That’s enough to re-sign D Williams, get a good pass rusher, and improve the Tight End position.  The rest of the needs can be filled with draft picks and bargain hunting for vets.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the two most likely to be reworked are Dawkins and White.

White's contract runs through 2025.  He's due $10.5M salary.  The Bills could easily take $6M, convert it to a signing bonus, and split it over 5 years to save $4.8M this season.  Since he's viewed as a key piece of the team, the chance of our wanting to move on within that timeframe is minimal.

Dawkins contract runs through 2024.  He's due $7.3M.  Bills could convert $6M to a signing bonus, do the same thing, $4.5M savings.

In both cases, their salaries for this year are fully guaranteed, though - so  I don't know what impact that has on negotiations (I would think minimal, since it's taking money that's guaranteed and just paying it on a different timeline)

Diggs, I think, is not gonna want to rework his contract without a substantial pay raise.  That may be an issue the Bills don't want to raise right now.  Poyer has two years left on his contract so the savings from re-working his contract are lower - maybe a couple million.

How do you conceptualize Jerry Hughes reworking his contract to get an additional $2-3M?

I know Spotrac broke it down as to how they would be able to do the Diggs and Poyer deals, I think the team could free up as much as 25 million by reworking those deals and the Dawkins/White contracts. As for Hughes I imagine him taking a pay cut to lower his cap number, not sure how that works with his contract. But looking at the Bills roster the fat that needs to be cut is still in the Hughes and Addison deals.

Edited by billsfan89

I think Morse and Dawkins are restructure candidates, and I would like to see Lee Smith, Mataveich, and Addison go to free up some money.

Resign Williams and Feliciano. Get Chris Carson if price is reasonable for 2 years.  Put the rest of the money into getting at least 1-2 impact/upgrades front 7 defensive player. 

Put draft focus on TE/DL/LB and fill rest with WR/CB.

1 minute ago, Wizard said:

I think Morse and Dawkins are restructure candidates, and I would like to see Lee Smith, Mataveich, and Addison go to free up some money.

Resign Williams and Feliciano. Get Chris Carson if price is reasonable for 2 years.  Put the rest of the money into getting at least 1-2 impact/upgrades front 7 defensive player. 

There were rumors last week of Hughes and Beasley being asked to restructure/extend.

13 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Morse was restructured a a few days ago, save around 2 mil

On 3/10/2021 at 8:30 PM, Wizard said:

So you think Morse that just restructured is a good candidate to restructure again?

You think Dawkins - that signed his new contract last year and the Additional years haven’t even started yet is going to restructure?

Makes no sense.

Then let’s follow that up with signing Williams, Feliciano and Carson - which uses all the money we have, but now you have cut your back up LB along with losing your starting weak side LB and your #2 DE, but somehow you are going to 1-2 upgraded impact front 7 Defensive players.  

Wow - just wow - not sure this Lamp post was needed - let alone it could have been put in any number of similar threads.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Addison rarely ever beats his man. Every time he beats his man. He gets a sack. That’s the way it was in Carolina. That’s the way it was in year 1 buffalo. I don’t have a link, but I’ve read them several times over the past year.  His pass rush win rate is very low and he has a very high sack rate per times won.  Which would be fine....if he beat his man more often.  He rarely does   He’s not a disruptor at all.  Jerry is a disruptor.  He beats his man.  Jerry has around half the sacks as Addison over the last 4-5 years.....he’s twice the player. 

Had his man beat and didn't get a sack on Murray for you know...THAT PLAY.  If he'd kept running instead of diving for him, might have ruined the throw.

A nit, I know

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

Actually closer to $3M.

Is that up on Spotrac or Overthecap yet?

30 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Morse just agreed to take a salary cut to stay with the team.  Dawkins might restructure.  A lot of his salary could be converted to signing bonus and spread out over the next 5 years.

Matakevich is a key ST player and played very well at MLB vs Miami - I don't think he should walk and I doubt the Bills do either.  More likely to extend.

Smith will probably retire.  If he doesn't, expect a release.

We can't cut everyone and leave lots of holes that then have to be filled.  We likely don't have the money to re-sign Williams and Feliciano and 1 impact player on the DL then fill the Milano-size hole at MLB.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Had his man beat and didn't get a sack on Murray for you know...THAT PLAY.  If he'd kept running instead of diving for him, might have ruined the throw.

A nit, I know

Is that up on Spotrac or Overthecap yet?

Yeah....that was his best play of the year 😂

15 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

You think Dawkins - that signed his new contract last year and the Additional years haven’t even started yet is going to restructure?

Makes no sense.

Actually on this point...I was of your mind, but someone pointed out to me that recently-signed core players on a team are actually good candidates.

Sometimes there is even a clause in their contract enabling this without negotiation.

1) you know you want the guy on your team so are unlikely to cut him in 2 years and collect a big hit of dead cap

2) so take most of the salary above vet minimum, convert to signing bonus, and amortize over 4-5 years.

Obviously, you don't always want to kick the can down the road salary-cap wise or the contract would have been written that way to start, but it seems like a reasonable path to cope with the current situation where the cap is expected to rise over the next few years, but plummetted for next season.

So Dawkins and Tre White would be good candidates for this.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Hughes and Addison were productive last year, but lack of DT quality hurt their sack numbers. Both guys can help the team if they took friendly pay cuts. 

would help us get a quality DT in FA, or Edge and draft a DT 

Exactly. Those who sign extensions and may restructure to help the team see their contract money converted to bonuses and lower their cap number for the betterment of the team. Bill's get more cap space and Dawkins gets some money earlier.

And, as you said, White as well.

I like core special team players but not at 3.7 million. Mataveich and Addison are addition by subtraction.

I'd rather have Williams, Feliciano, and a great DL guy with the money from some restructures and trimming out players who won't be large difference makers. As far as LB, Bills can choose between Bokton, Cox, Collins, Moses and Surratt. 2 of those guys will likely be available with Bills first two picks.

57 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don’t expect them to do anything FA wise to replace Milano. I think you’ll see them go with Klein and a draft pick there.

I hope you're incorrect.  I expect us to pick up a lower-tier FA or 2, unless Darron Lee signs (he apparently called into some show and said he had an offer sheet from the Bills just after the season).  If nothing else we need backups and you don't want to bank on a rookie to play right away.

12 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Or should we expect more restructures/cuts

I believe the Bills are in wait n see mode with a couple guys . The Bills will go hard for a pass rushing DE if we sign 1 we will cut Addison. We got enough money now to be flexible in free agency and there's still money that can be freed up . So as we go kind of situation. 

This team is not going to become Saints or Eagles unless there is a FA Bills can get agreement with to make it worth pushing money to future years.

See lots of posts about players needing to cut salaries but few will unless they will be out of a job and too much turnover is not good for a team.

On 3/11/2021 at 3:25 PM, ScottLaw said:

I don’t expect them to do anything FA wise to replace Milano. I think you’ll see them go with Klein and a draft pick there.

Or plan B - pay Milano ... 

They can’t even cut Klein now as his money is mostly guaranteed  for 2021...I could  never see the appeal of that deal from last year... I’m betting they would like to be able to move on from that one...

9 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Behind the scenes, I’m guessing Beane has already given the offer to Addison’s agent to either take a pay cut or test the market.  Addison doesn’t have the leverage with an underperforming 2020 season. 

I think they will just cut Addison when they sign another DE in free agency...

Edited by Aussie Joe

Probably. They have Epenesa as a backup.  I don’t want to mortgage our future, but if they could find a way with other reductions, and cut Addison, how cool would it be to have Ngakoue, Oliver, Star, and Hughes.  Milano and Edmunds with Edmunds best friend in front of him (Star), and one of the best three D Backs in the league as a unit.  I’d love to see Jackson take the leap this year in the #2 position, and considering we play nickel more than a 4-3, we’d have Taron Johnson, or Dean Marlowe depending upon who’s we’re playing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think they will just cut Addison when they sign another DE in free agency...

That is my expectation too.  In general we will see them create cap space as they need it or as they acquire better/cheaper replacements. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bills will need more cap space before we go after impact FA’s. Don’t we still have a large list of UFA’s sitting out there?  If we don’t sign our own, still need to replace the player.  Even at NFL minimum, that’s a chunk of change.

Feliciano, Cory B, Marrlow, Wallace, Williams (probably can’t afford), Barkley, McKenzie, Jefferson, Roberts are a few I’d like to see back.  Can’t see them all signing for league minimum.  Only have 7 picks this year (no 4th), not filling out the roster that way.

Except for John Brown, I take it this is the current list of UFA’s:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/buffalo-bills/

When do we have to tender the RFA’s by?  Cory B, Wallace and Boettger? 

Edited by davefan66

I am just curious if we have any chance at all to sign any bigger DE name now.

If I understand it correctly we have something like 13-15mill. cap space after Milano, we can cut Lee Smith for maybe two more, but we still need to sign/replace Williams, Feliciano, McKenzie, Roberts, Wallace, Barkley, Boetger and BoJo right?

I mean even if we do not sign Williams (or any more expensive RT for that matter), these guys or their replacements take all the money right? And even if we somehow restructure somebody it still shouldn't be enough...

So, is there any chance for bigger FA signing now?

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

If I understand it correctly we have something like 13-15mill. cap space after Milano, we can cut Lee Smith for maybe two more, but we still need to sign/replace Williams, Feliciano, McKenzie, Roberts, Wallace, Barkley, Boetger and BoJo right?

I mean even if we do not sign Williams (or any more expensive RT for that matter), these guys or their replacements take all the money right? And even if we somehow restructure somebody it still shouldn't be enough...

Was my question as well.... people are celebrating the Milano signing like it’s a big coup but if it cost you the chance at an elite DE or Williams then I think it was badly misplayed by beane, really bad actually 

• Vomit 1

Just now, Jerboski said:

Was my question as well.... people are celebrating the Milano signing like it’s a big coup but if it cost you the chance at an elite DE or Williams then I think it was badly misplayed by beane, really bad actually 

I do not think that is the case.  There is DE money they can shed to help with the first year cap hit if they sign a young, quality FA DE.  There are also some obvious restructures that can yield a lot of space this season. Dawkins, Diggs and White are the obvious candidates to convert salary into signing bonuses.  The Bills are in very good cap shape as of now. 

30 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Well but the difference is that I am asking a question about our actual options, and (unlike you) I am not saying that Milano signing is bad since we cannot aford DE now.

On 3/10/2021 at 1:47 PM, Big Turk said:

That gives us what, about $20 million in cap space right now? $5-6 million to sign draft picks so about $15 million or so for whatever else Beane wants to do...

I read a pretty good write up yesterday some place, may have been The Athletic that stated because we're drafting lower likely draft picks will only cost around $3 mil.  Cap is based on top 51 salaries during off season and likely once you get beyond 3rd round those picks contracts would be lower than what person #48 thru #51 on the roster make today.  So won't factor in.

Found it in The Athletic, Joe B's article,  Think the number went down from yesterday, liekly due to Milano signing, may go lower yet today now with Williams.  Give it another day and the draft picks will need to pay Beane to sign here!

Using the first-year cap hits of the players selected in the same slot in 2020, only the first three of the Bills’ seven picks would qualify for the Top 51. Those picks total $3.83 million in cap space. Removing the three lowest contracts from the Top 51, totaling $2.22 million, makes for a net draft pick allotment of $1.61 million.

https://theathletic.com/2441292/2021/03/12/bills-mock-offseason-2021-post-matt-milano-re-signing-predicting-free-agency-cuts-draft-picks/

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

6 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Yes they can still do it ...although I don’t think it will be one of the very top DE guys...

They can sign someone to a similar  deal to Milano or maybe a bit higher... say 4 years $50M..

Structure it in a way that you are only having a cap hit of $7-8 M Year  1  like Milano...

This new DE makes Addison no longer required so he gets cut saving $6m so they essentially balance out for 2021

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

As a backup role playing edge Addison is just fine......so he should take a pay cut

What can he reasonably expect in the current market? Beane holds all the cards here. Take the cut, Mario and still make more than you would as a free agent.