Cole Beasley is good with the football

Draconator

On 2/11/2021 at 10:03 AM, Limeaid said:

I find it interesting when they quote stats - how is 325 significant vs 300 and 350?

Why take away 25 of his receptions? It’s obvious he didn’t have 350 but had a decent amount more than 300. So they picked the highest amount that still looked pleasing to the eye. 

25 catches the way he does it without a fumble is pretty significant. 

I recall that the Ravens used their best CB Marlon Humphrey on Beasley, not Diggs, in the playoffs. That’s the respect he draws from DCs and that’s a huge loss regardless of who they can put there. Maybe you can get that with Sanders but then Davis really needs to step up on the outside. 

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I recall that the Ravens used their best CB Marlon Humphrey on Beasley, not Diggs, in the playoffs. That’s the respect he draws from DCs and that’s a huge loss regardless of who they can put there. Maybe you can get that with Sanders but then Davis really needs to step up on the outside. 

It’s gotta stink having to cover a guy that is often allowed to run wherever he wants…

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe Ravens did that because they believed they would have too much pressure for Josh to hit Diggs and Brown but Cole would be available as relief target on blitzes and stunts.   

28 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Why take away 25 of his receptions? It’s obvious he didn’t have 350 but had a decent amount more than 300. So they picked the highest amount that still looked pleasing to the eye. 

25 catches the way he does it without a fumble is pretty significant. 

Yes but when they cite a number like 325 they are usually doing to make what they are claiming to be milestone but if they used 300 it might be shared. 

That is all I am pointing out.  Cole got no receptions so that worked but the rest didn't.

9 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It’s gotta stink having to cover a guy that is often allowed to run wherever he wants…

Yes but he did it well for Josh only attempted 2 passed to Beasly. 

Edited by Limeaid
  • Like (+1) 1

Cole could opt out and still be paid this year, I think. But I doubt he chooses that option as he is committed to living his life as usual. But he certainly has that option.

While I hope he stays and plays, should he leave is Marquez Stevenson a possibility for a replacement? I'm not saying he comes in as a raw rookie and owns the spot. But rather as a rotational player in the role. 

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Beasley opting out would be awful. The only silver lining is that we have Sanders who I think could fill that role but isn't nearly as elusive.  Pretty sure Beasley had zero drops last year.  He also hauled in a number of spectacular catches in clutch situations.  Josh looked to him often when we really needed a play.

Losing Cole is not an option. He's way to valuable in complimenting Diggs. McB has to find a way to diffuse this issue somehow?

• Like (+1) 6

42 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe Humphrey is mostly a slot cover guy. 

11 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Cole could opt out and still be paid this year, I think. But I doubt he chooses that option as he is committed to living his life as usual. But he certainly has that option.

While I hope he stays and plays, should he leave is Marquez Stevenson a possibility for a replacement? I'm not saying he comes in as a raw rookie and owns the spot. But rather as a rotational player in the role. 

He wouldn’t be paid at all unless he is high risk. 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He plays both

50 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think that’s strictly a function of Humphrey being their best slot corner, regardless. As you know, even the best of boundary corners often don’t play the slot as effectively. 

Losing Cole and Brown would really temper my expectations for the O. The spacing on the field would be dramatically different.

Sanders is at the end of it, he scares no one. Brown’s speed will be missed, they need Cole in the slot this year. Give the young guys another year to develop and find ways to impact the game. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Not having Beasley hurts this offense. He and Allen have spent the last two years developing the chemistry we see on the field and that will take time to develop with another player and I’m not sure the improvised aspects of his game with Allen can be duplicated given the nine seasons of experience that informs it. Beasley sitting out would really be sticking it to the team, at least in the short term. But if that’s what he decides, then good riddance. 

I hope that’s the case, but he’s boxed himself in with his hard stance on the matter. Does he like winning championships more than he likes sticking to his publicly proclaimed principles? Let’s hope he’s changed his mind come training camp. A lot can happen between now and then. 

Absolutely, once a guy proclaims such a hard stance and is both vilified and exalted for it, he has a lot of "face" of holding the line.  Depending upon the situation in most of the country in August, I would expect the protocols for unvaxxed players to be modified somewhat, allowing a face-saving "OK they listened to us and made changes" stand-down.  But who knows?

Beasley has been a great addition to the team and the locker room the last two years.  But I think this is worth looking at (click to Embiggen)

image.thumb.png.ed15edcef5246bbc25dd0e42775e57ad.png

The point I'd make from these data is that Beasley set new career highs for Y/Tgt, Y/R, Y/G and R/G the last year, and only had one other season that was close to 2019 in his 7 years with Dallas. 

Sure, part of his success here is Beasley.  But part of his success here is Daboll, the play design, how he's being used, and Josh.  So it's possible that other WR we have on the roster or could obtain might be able to have some success with the same features?  I'd rather not have to find out. 

I think one reason the Bills brought in Tanner Gentry is that he had a couple seasons of that "mind meld" chemistry with Josh, so if he can step up his release and route running, he could potentially help.  Of course, that's an "if"

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Cole could opt out and still be paid this year, I think.

No one who opts out gets paid their normal salary.  It was very clear: players who opt out due to high risk factors will still get a $350,000 stipend, but otherwise, Nopenope, Nothing.

26 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I'm not a college football fan but my impression is NFW based on this assessment by Lance Zierlein:

Scheme-specific developmental prospect who needs to do a better job of matching his play speed with his true speed. Stevenson lacks the ball-tracking and physicality to win contested catches as an outside receiver. He'll be scouted as a slot receiver, but is hindered by unfocused route-running and leggy strides that limit his suddenness to uncover quickly underneath. With coaching, the routes should improve, but he might need a route tree that can keep him on the move and open up chances to separate with his speed. Crossing routes, receiver screens and kick returns show off his instincts as an open-field runner, but he will need to improve his toughness, pass-catching consistency and routes if he wants to make his mark in the pros.

Not that Lance Zierlein is Truth or the Final Word, but when we have a 2nd or 3rd year player, I frequently go back to Zierlein's scouting reports and find myself nodding.

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Not having Beasley hurts this offense. He and Allen have spent the last two years developing the chemistry we see on the field and that will take time to develop with another player and I’m not sure the improvised aspects of his game with Allen can be duplicated given the nine seasons of experience that informs it. Beasley sitting out would really be sticking it to the team, at least in the short term. But if that’s what he decides, then good riddance. 

I hope that’s the case, but he’s boxed himself in with his hard stance on the matter. Does he like winning championships more than he likes sticking to his publicly proclaimed principles? Let’s hope he’s changed his mind come training camp. A lot can happen between now and then. 

Don’t forget God’s Will..

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Absolutely, once a guy proclaims such a hard stance and is both vilified and exalted for it, he has a lot of "face" of holding the line.  Depending upon the situation in most of the country in August, I would expect the protocols for unvaxxed players to be modified somewhat, allowing a face-saving "OK they listened to us and made changes" stand-down.  But who knows?

Beasley has been a great addition to the team and the locker room the last two years.  But I think this is worth looking at (click to Embiggen)

What does 1D stand for? 1st Downs?

20 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think that’s strictly a function of Humphrey being their best slot corner, regardless. As you know, even the best of boundary corners often don’t play the slot as effectively. 

I thought Putting Peters on Diggs was a risk with how he takes chances. Beasley was playing on one leg so they could have put Anthony averett on him and Humphrey, who can play inside or outside, on Diggs. But the point someone made about taking away Beasley so josh would have to try to find diggs, brown, Davis makes sense. If John brown had been healthy I think it would have been much tougher for the ravens. 

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

Guys Cole ain't opting out or retiring. The guy really wants to win and knows this year is the best shot he has ever had at a championship. He was just pissed at the protocols and posturing.

My heart says this but by head says he’s not a lock to play this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The point I'd make from these data is that Beasley set new career highs for Y/Tgt, Y/R, Y/G and R/G the last year, and only had one other season that was close to 2019 in his 7 years with Dallas. 

Sure, part of his success here is Beasley.  But part of his success here is Daboll, the play design, how he's being used, and Josh.  So it's possible that other WR we have on the roster or could obtain might be able to have some success with the same features?  I'd rather not have to find out. 

I think one reason the Bills brought in Tanner Gentry is that he had a couple seasons of that "mind meld" chemistry with Josh, so if he can step up his release and route running, he could potentially help.  Of course, that's an "if"

Well, let’s hope for the best. The hardest aspect of Beasley’s game to replace is his recognition. He reads defenses as well as anyone I’ve seen and that’s a big reason he and Josh are on the same page so often. I just think that will take time for the less experienced WRs to develop, which stands to reason. 

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I have to be honest man.. I am shocked you want to go down this rabbit hole again considering what happened to the last thread on this topic.

If folks can stay on the topic presented, it should not be an issue. If they can’t, it will be locked. Doesn’t seem too difficult to me. 

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

His last word on the topic was that he's done talking about it because he doesn't want to be a distraction to the team. Beasley is an open book, as we've learned. If he was considering opting out he would have said so by now.

And the deadline is in a week 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t even want to think about it but tbh I think there is a chance of that 😞

I do think Hodgins could act as a big slot 

Hodgins oozes process according to our local reporters. He'd have the best shot IMO

16 minutes ago, 716er said:

Hodgins oozes process according to our local reporters. He'd have the best shot IMO

Per his original draft scouting report, he has a lot of upside but needs work:

Overview

Potential inside/outside target with below average speed but outstanding ball skills, instincts and will to make the contested catch. Scouts must balance his impressive pass-catching talent against issues eluding press-man and NFL-caliber coverage. Hodgins is astutely aware of coverage location in all areas of the field and adjusts accordingly. He's clearly more skilled than opponents when the ball is in the air, but the catch space will be tighter and the challenges more fierce as a pro. He needs to refine his route-running and may need to be moved and stacked in bunch sets for release freedom, but Hodgins has the ability to see the field in multiple-wideout sets as a middle-round pick.

Strengths

NFL size and competitiveness to play outside

Takes smart angles back to the throw on first two levels

Allows double moves to ripen

Great awareness to protect the catch with his frame

Squares his numbers to the quarterback over the middle

Instinctive ball skills and body control

Delays showing hands on fade routes as long as possible

Good luck finding drops on tape

Tremendous ball tracker on the move

Able to create late catch space tight to the boundary

High points it like a rebounder

Weaknesses

Has issues against talented press-man

Release will be mirrored and stalled

Excessive stutter release needs to be quicker

Below average short area twitch to lose coverage

Doesn't have enough speed to worry a cornerback

Long cornerbacks phase up his sideline routes

Extended gather steps to open on comebacks

Needs additional play strength to battle at the top of the route

A lot of the areas I highlighted are, I believe, not areas that would show in a red jersey or without contact

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

it’s cute when you just make stuff up 

I have to agree. Based on what? Looked pretty good last year with an injured, fairly washed up QB. No disrespect to Brees, who had a great career. But if anyone was "a shell of himself" last year it was Drew.

Maybe this is the year Sanders loses it, but I'm guessing he'll be an upgrade over Brown from last year. I also think Brown may be an upgrade from Brown last year.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No one who opts out gets paid their normal salary.  It was very clear: players who opt out due to high risk factors will still get a $350,000 stipend, but otherwise, Nopenope, Nothing.

I'm not a college football fan but my impression is NFW based on this assessment by Lance Zierlein:

Not that Lance Zierlein is Truth or the Final Word, but when we have a 2nd or 3rd year player, I frequently go back to Zierlein's scouting reports and find myself nodding.

Yolo already took care of the fist part. Pay attention!   😶

As for Stevenson,  I've seen multiple other analyses (including the one you posted) that suggest the slot is his best chance to make it on offense early in his career. I can try to dig more up when I get home if you like.

From what I remember his strengths were speed and shiftyness. One weaknesses I think I recall was he could be out physicalled (is that a word?) early in his route. 

Sine the Bills coaching staff seems to be pretty good at "coahing guys up", and since many analysts suggest his best chance is in the slot, why shouldn't he be considered a possibility in a slot receiver by committee approach?

Let me, one again, make clear I really hope Cole is there to make this discussion moot.

21 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

it’s cute when you just make stuff up 

I think it's a bit tedious, me, but Your Kink is OK

As far as Sanders last year, with the Ghost of Drew Brees and Taysom "I Can, Too, Play QB" throwing to him, looks pretty comparable to the productivity we got from John Brown and Cole Beasley last season.

https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=BrowJo02&p1yrfrom=2020&player_id1=SandEm00&p2yrfrom=2020&sum=0&request=1

image.thumb.png.506a495a2af1d4e675222ed270b0eb20.png

Similar YPG, similar receptions/game, Brown 2 more Y/R not too surprising.  Sanders played 14 games to Brown 9

https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=BeasCo00&p1yrfrom=2020&player_id1=SandEm00&p2yrfrom=2020&sum=0&request=1

(click to embiggen)

image.thumb.png.75f531aba6a07598314a25616703c073.png

image.thumb.png.f5460113594d5a92abdb15ed32bd15ef.png

Less productive than Beas, but then, Beas was less productive with the 'Boys (1 year anomoly)than he was last 2 years with the Bills, so who knows?

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, The Dean said:

As for Stevenson,  I've seen multiple other analyses (including the one you posted) that suggest the slot is his best chance to make it on offense early in his career. I can try to dig more up when I get home if you like.

I think you're misreading Zierlein's take.  He says "He'll be scouted as a slot receiver, but is hindered by unfocused route-running and leggy strides that limit his suddenness to uncover quickly underneath" and "he will need to improve his toughness, pass-catching consistency and routes if he wants to make his mark in the pros."

Now he could be the kind of guy who comes in hyper-focused and has been doing the right training and who gets to the point where he can do that, in a single off season.  But many a rookie has recounted how being handed a pro playbook was like being handed the Chicago Phone Book and told to memorize it at first.

That's why I don't think he's a realistic prospect to excel in the slot this year.  I think he's going to be struggling to figure out which route to run, which variant to run depending on the defense, and how to run his route the exact same way every time so that he and the ball show up at the same place, same time (which is Beasley's gift)

I think "Developmental prospect" means unless he makes the Bills as the KR/PR, he may well wind up on the Practice Squad.

27 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Let me, one again, make clear I really hope Cole is there to make this discussion moot.

I, too, hope Beasley is there.   On the other hand, I honestly don't see how McDermott and Beane can run a disciplined, unified team where one of the veteran leaders openly refuses to follow NFL protocols and not have it become a distraction.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1

The Bills are on the cusp of getting to and winning a Super Bowl.  We all can feel it.  Losing Beasley at this time would likely keep us from getting over the hump IMO.

I would challenge all the plug in and play guys who think McKenzie or Sanders or Davis or Hodges can just step in and play slot the way Beasley does to watch Josh Allen or Bills Offensive highlights from 2020.  Beasley made a lot of critical catches at critical moments in a lot of games.

If Beasley doesn't play and with the departure of Brown I would worry about taking a hit on WR continuity. 

On 2/11/2021 at 9:43 AM, Draconator said:

Worthless, release him

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Even if he wasn't, it would make more sense to cover Beasley considering the wind was helping to defend intermediate to deep passes.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you're misreading Zierlein's take.  He says "He'll be scouted as a slot receiver, but is hindered by unfocused route-running and leggy strides that limit his suddenness to uncover quickly underneath" and "he will need to improve his toughness, pass-catching consistency and routes if he wants to make his mark in the pros."

Now he could be the kind of guy who comes in hyper-focused and has been doing the right training and who gets to the point where he can do that, in a single off season.  But many a rookie has recounted how being handed a pro playbook was like being handed the Chicago Phone Book and told to memorize it at first.

That's why I don't think he's a realistic prospect to excel in the slot this year.  I think he's going to be struggling to figure out which route to run, which variant to run depending on the defense, and how to run his route the exact same way every time so that he and the ball show up at the same place, same time (which is Beasley's gift)

I think "Developmental prospect" means unless he makes the Bills as the KR/PR, he may well wind up on the Practice Squad.

I, too, hope Beasley is there.   On the other hand, I honestly don't see how McDermott and Beane can run a disciplined, unified team where one of the veteran leaders openly refuses to follow NFL protocols and not have it become a distraction.

I don't think we are disagreeing all that much. It will be tough for Stevenson to make the 53, IMO. If he does, it will likely be as a return specialist. BUT, if he does contribute on offense this year, at all, my guess is it will be in the slot, and not as an outside WR. 

I really don't think anyone on the roster other than Cole would make an ideal slot receiver, at the moment. I love McKenzie but don't think using him as the every down slot works to his advantage. I'd foresee a slot by committee, if Cole is gone and they don't pick up someone else. Should that happen, and should Stevenson make the 53, don't be surprised if he is one of those contributing in that position. But yes, he has a LOT of work to do before then.

On 2/11/2021 at 9:04 AM, Patrick_Duffy said:

He's awesome. Very reliable WR and being a slot WR makes it more impressive. I think he is one of the best slot guys in the NFL. He was good in Dallas but really showed how good he actually is when he came to Buffalo.

Measly Beasley ha ? 

As much as I disagree with Beasley’s stance off the field it is undeniable that Beasley retiring would massively hurt the Bills on the field. Beasley is the teams second best offensive target for Josh. That’s not to say that Davis and Sanders are chumps but rather that the offensive burden falling onto them if Beasley is absent hurts the teams depth and might put too much burden on a veteran (Sanders) and a younger player in Davis.

Beasley is also so critical in allowing Josh to take what defenses give him when teams double Diggs and take away deep plays via a soft zone. Beasley allows for a safe reliable outlet that can consistently get open in those situations. Even if this team acquired Ertz who can help in those situations does this team really want to rely on two vets with a recent injury history to be a huge part of the receiving options for Josh? 

I hope the team and NFLPA can work it out with Beasley where he can follow and understand the protocols and if he has a reasonable complaint about the protocols maybe they can adjust them in a way that keeps him and everyone safe.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

As much as I disagree with Beasley’s stance off the field it is undeniable that Beasley retiring would massively hurt the Bills on the field. Beasley is the teams second best offensive target for Josh. That’s not to say that Davis and Sanders are chumps but rather that the offensive burden falling onto them if Beasley is absent hurts the teams depth and might put too much burden on a veteran (Sanders) and a younger player in Davis.

Beasley is also so critical in allowing Josh to take what defenses give him when teams double Diggs and take away deep plays via a soft zone. Beasley allows for a safe reliable outlet that can consistently get open in those situations. Even if this team acquired Ertz who can help in those situations does this team really want to rely on two vets with a recent injury history to be a huge part of the receiving options for Josh? 

I hope the team and NFLPA can work it out with Beasley where he can follow and understand the protocols and if he has a reasonable complaint about the protocols maybe they can adjust them in a way that keeps him and everyone safe.

After watching Josh Allen almost break the NFL record for TDs to different players I am not worried about Beasley.

We have the QB that makes players better.

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

After watching Josh Allen almost break the NFL record for TDs to different players I am not worried about Beasley.

We have the QB that makes players better.

Yeah but Allen makes Beasley the best slot receiver in the league and 100% a badass. It would be a big big loss.

• Like (+1) 1

It never ceases to amaze me about the level of stupidity that exists. The notion of cutting a very good player and making the team worse because he doesn’t conform to a mob mentality is beyond stupid. Cole Beasley is an important piece of the Bills team. Beyond that - cutting him with weeks to go before training camp is even more mind numbing - as there is no replacement option on the free agent market to fill the void he would leave. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

38 minutes ago, NY Nole said:

It never ceases to amaze me about the level of stupidity that exists. The notion of cutting a very good player and making the team worse because he doesn’t conform to a mob mentality is beyond stupid. Cole Beasley is an important piece of the Bills team. Beyond that - cutting him with weeks to go before training camp is even more mind numbing - as there is no replacement option on the free agent market to fill the void he would leave. 

Why would he be cut when he would just retire... He said he would retire, that is the level of stupidity that exists.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, NY Nole said:

Your first sentence is rather ironic given the rest of your post.

- The Bills are not threatening to cut him, he is opting to take that stance

- This is not about vaxx or anti-vaxx, it is flow down terms from the league which make it a condition of continued employment

- Beasley's stance is surprising as it means he will be giving up a means of income which he is very good at and also stop playing the competitive sport he evidently loves

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Your first sentence is rather ironic given the rest of your post.

- The Bills are not threatening to cut him, he is opting to take that stance

- This is not about vaxx or anti-vaxx, it is flow down terms from the league which make it a condition of continued employment

- Beasley's stance is surprising as it means he will be giving up a means of income which he is very good at and also stop playing the competitive sport he evidently loves

So - regardless if the Bills are threatening to cut him (though Brandon Beane was quoted about that general premise a few weeks ago), many of the posters on this board are calling for him to be cut. That is what I am referring to as stupid. In terms of the league - vaccination is not a requirement for employment - it merely waives the ginned up procedures for unvaxxed. If he doesn’t get the shot- he is still allowed to play with heightened protocols and other procedures like 2020. That he should be further penalized or ostracized is foolish. Also - if you read through this thread - there are posts that suggest he wasn’t any good anyways…it was all a product of Josh Allen… yada yada - that is foolish and stupid.

As to Beasley’s stance, maybe Cole was trying to bring attention for a perceived lack of support from his union. Maybe he is frustrated by the process and feels there can/should be a less restrictive compromise for non vaxxed. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1