Cole Beasley is good with the football

Draconator

3 hours ago, Draconator said:

Amazing stat!   He was underutilized in several games, placed w a cracked fibula in two games , missing one w the injury and still put up his best season! Great teammate, great hands , need more guys with his attitude, and hope he gets consistent and more targets next year. 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Amazing stat!   He was underutilized in several games, placed w a cracked fibula in two games , missing one w the injury and still put up his best season! Great teammate, great hands , need more guys with his attitude, and hope he gets consistent and more targets next year.

Agree. 

Small nit: 3 games.  He played all 3 playoff games with a fractured fibula.  The game he missed was the week 17 MIA game.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

True, yet impressive none the less, 👍

Just imagine what Josh’s pass percentage numbers would have been like during his first season if he actually had guys who caught the ball at a high percentage.... much closer to the magic sixty percent number I would guess. 

He had Beasley and Brown last year and did not break 60%.

'Course, he only needed 6-7 more receptions to put him over that mark, and Dawson Knox had 10 drops 🤷‍♂️

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did anyone catch Romo's comments about him in the game? 

Romo threw to him for 4 years in Dallas (2012-2015).  Beasley's best of those years was 2015, when Romo played only 4 games with him.

I didn't catch all of them, but my impression was to the effect of "I had no idea he could be that good and that productive"

He should have been completely honest:  "I had no idea he could be that good and that productive when he had a QB who deserved MVP award"

(Cowpoke fans thought Romo deserved it in 2014).

• 4 months later...

Wasn’t sure where to put this so bumped a thread with a title that is still accurate. Listening to Locked on NFL today, they surmised that Cole could likely take the opt out that is now available for 2021 because he stated he’s not concerned with the $ part. I’m not posting this to discuss his post, the vaccine, or anything along those lines. please refrain from any comments like that because the thread will get locked and we won’t be able to discuss Cole on the field. Rather, stick to the realistic possibility on the field and the football consequences of not having Cole either this season, or ever again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DJB said:

My guess is I MacKenzie fills the slot role and we see more Gabe Davis. 

If we lose him its going to hurt the offense no question.  

I don’t even want to think about it but tbh I think there is a chance of that 😞

I do think Hodgins could act as a big slot 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I don’t think he’s actually going to opt out or retire.

But If he does I could see Daboll filling the slot receiver role by committee (Sanders, McKenzie, Davis, etc.), or a sign/trade by Beane to fill that spot.

Thankfully Buffalo does have great WR depth if Cole did decide to opt out/retire.

Edited by BillsFan4

This offense came from the Brady offense in asterisk land. It's been successful for a while with a Beasley type player in the slot. Quick, great route runner, find open spots in zone. I think the only guy we have that's close is McKenzie. 

I'm sure others can play the slot but I don't think they can do what we want them to do from there. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/11/2021 at 9:03 AM, Limeaid said:

I find it interesting when they quote stats - how is 325 significant vs 300 and 350?

yea- I guess 65 catches per season is in the ballpark of where I’d draw a line between role player and full time contributor but I’d definitely wonder what the stat looks like with even slight tweaks 

Beasley opting out would be awful. The only silver lining is that we have Sanders who I think could fill that role but isn't nearly as elusive.  Pretty sure Beasley had zero drops last year.  He also hauled in a number of spectacular catches in clutch situations.  Josh looked to him often when we really needed a play.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

Not having Beasley hurts this offense. He and Allen have spent the last two years developing the chemistry we see on the field and that will take time to develop with another player and I’m not sure the improvised aspects of his game with Allen can be duplicated given the nine seasons of experience that informs it. Beasley sitting out would really be sticking it to the team, at least in the short term. But if that’s what he decides, then good riddance. 

2 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Guys Cole ain't opting out or retiring. The guy really wants to win and knows this year is the best shot he has ever had at a championship. He was just pissed at the protocols and posturing.

I hope that’s the case, but he’s boxed himself in with his hard stance on the matter. Does he like winning championships more than he likes sticking to his publicly proclaimed principles? Let’s hope he’s changed his mind come training camp. A lot can happen between now and then. 

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wasn’t sure where to put this so bumped a thread with a title that is still accurate. Listening to Locked on NFL today, they surmised that Cole could likely take the opt out that is now available for 2021 because he stated he’s not concerned with the $ part. I’m not posting this to discuss his post, the vaccine, or anything along those lines. please refrain from any comments like that because the thread will get locked and we won’t be able to discuss Cole on the field. Rather, stick to the realistic possibility on the field and the football consequences of not having Cole either this season, or ever again. 

I think the Bills signed Sanders to be an addition to Cole and to take some of the load off of him so he could hold up better.

But Sanders should be capable of running all Beasley's slot routes capably - the question is how long it would take him to get his head into it and get on the same page as Allen - the results of 2nd Day Minicamp were NOT encouraging, but of course it's only one day.

And of course, whether he feels the same way Beasley does

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Sanders becomes our primary slot.  Davis and Diggs on the outside.  McKenzie comes in a lot more on 4 WR sets.

I think it would be a big opportunity for McKenzie and he would lobby to step into the same role that Daboll envisioned when they signed Sanders to pair with Beasley.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Sanders becomes our primary slot.  Davis and Diggs on the outside.  McKenzie comes in a lot more on 4 WR sets.

For what it's worth, I cut Beasley from my Madden team during his meltdown, and replaced him with Sanders, and haven't missed a beat. Still undefeated.

• Haha (+1) 4

On 2/11/2021 at 10:03 AM, Limeaid said:

I find it interesting when they quote stats - how is 325 significant vs 300 and 350?

fair point, but it is 325 or more that is noted. Over 5 years you are looking at 65 catches a year, pretty good production. If it is opened up to 300+ over 5 years I wonder who else might be included?

Impressive to average 65+ for 5 years and have no fumbles.