Jordan Palmer on OBL says Allen has no ceiling and is most-gifted QB ever

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Weather or not Allen will continue to improve (which, seems hard to do based on where he’s been for two months), the conversation around him pre-draft was always that he was the best physical specimen to play QB. No doubt about that. Take him to a lab and he had every attribute you want. 

At the same time, you have to give Josh a lot of credit for doing everything he could do to develop his natural talent.  I remember reading a lot of articles/tweets/posts about how unlikely it is for QBs to improve their accuracy and being worried about drafting him.

Josh proved everyone wrong . . . and rewarded the faith that Beane (and ownership) had in Josh.  

Although I was worried when we picked him, I quickly realized that Josh is very easy to root for and loved the way he embraced Buffalo.

Full marks to Josh (and Palmer, Daboll, and Dorsey) for the progress he has made, which has been spectacular.  Josh not only has been a great leader and QB, he is so much fun to watch as a fan (particularly a Buffalo Bills fan). 

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

"If I say 'Hello my name is Jordan' in Spanish, if I'm saying it in Spanish or I'm saying it in English, I'm still saying 'Hello my name is Jordan.' "

And then there was this about another client:

"I’m not surprised at all, but that was probably the best — or right there with the best pro days I’ve ever been a part of, and I’ve been a part of some big-time pro days,” Palmer said. “…That was about as impressive as I’ve seen.”

And:

"To be clear, I think he is a star, and he is going to be a big-time franchise quarterback.  I've felt that way for a couple years now.  I'm totally fine saying that.  I don't care if he went in the 4th round.  He's going to be the leader of (team) for a long time, whenever he starts.  Go ahead and jump on that bandwagon."

and another:

"(He's) still a guy who will play in this league and I’m really excited because this is the biggest offseason of his life. He’s going to get an opportunity and I think he’s going to be a kid who runs with it."

and:

"People have no idea how good he is.  I'll take (client) over Trevor (Lawrence).  I'll take (client) over most."

Hey, Jordan's gotta eat...!

I did stumble on this about the Browns---a potential landing spot for two of his clients in 2018:

"Cleveland has changed,'' said Palmer. "It's a combination of John (Dorsey), Ken Zampese coming in, the amount of cap space, the picks, all of that stuff, the culture that's starting to shift and create. Hue (Jackson) is a great motivator. Guys like playing for Hue. Hue gets you fired up, and Hue knows a lot of football. He's coached all of the positions and he knows a ton of ball.  

"It's exciting,'' he said. "They've done such a good job and John Dorsey's the perfect guy. I talked about Ken Zampese, (offensive coordinator Todd) Haley is a great fit coming in, it's like Cleveland has become this place that all the kids want to play for now. It's not been in the past. Even agents, the whole conversation is like 'Cleveland has become this really attractive place to play.'

"I don't know if I've heard more positive stuff about a GM -- only positive stuff -- than I have about John Dorsey. ....The AFC North is not what's been the last five year. It's become the AFC South the last five years. Cleveland could totally have a good year and win the division. Everyone else is kind of on the ropes right now.''

Of course, this is after Hue (who nobody liked playing for) went 1-31.  He was fired after winning 2 more games over the 1st 8 weeks of 2018.  A year later they fired Dorsey. 

(the QBs above:  Stidham, Hackenberg, Darnold)

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

I love how both Tasker and Brown look at each other when Palmer says "we're not even close to his ceiling yet"

I mean he's not wrong really this is just year 3 I would be surprised if with even more experience he doesn't continue to improve. That doesn't necessarily translate to way better seasons statistically though.

27 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I think Darnold could STILL be good. He and Rosen had terrible situations and pure bad luck. Darnold doesn't have Allen or Jackson's physical gifts but I think under the right conditions he could be as good as Mayfield and be a decent starter for years to come. At worst, a very good back-up. 

He could be good, but Palmer alludes to the fact that he doesn't put enough work in to get there.  I'm sure that goes not only for practice but film study.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

He could be good, but Palmer alludes to the fact that he doesn't put enough work in to get there.  I'm sure that goes not only for practice but film study.

Palmer isn't going to bad mouth his clients just isn't going to happen but I'd bet there are plenty of instances where you can read between the lines.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

That could be a personal flaw, a coaching flaw or both; but could be corrected. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"If I say 'Hello my name is Jordan' in Spanish, if I'm saying it in Spanish or I'm saying it in English, I'm still saying 'Hello my name is Jordan.' "

And then there was this about another client:

"I’m not surprised at all, but that was probably the best — or right there with the best pro days I’ve ever been a part of, and I’ve been a part of some big-time pro days,” Palmer said. “…That was about as impressive as I’ve seen.”

And:

"To be clear, I think he is a star, and he is going to be a big-time franchise quarterback.  I've felt that way for a couple years now.  I'm totally fine saying that.  I don't care if he went in the 4th round.  He's going to be the leader of (team) for a long time, whenever he starts.  Go ahead and jump on that bandwagon."

and another:

"(He's) still a guy who will play in this league and I’m really excited because this is the biggest offseason of his life. He’s going to get an opportunity and I think he’s going to be a kid who runs with it."

and:

"People have no idea how good he is.  I'll take (client) over Trevor (Lawrence).  I'll take (client) over most."

Hey, Jordan's gotta eat...!

I did stumble on this about the Browns---a potential landing spot for two of his clients in 2018:

"Cleveland has changed,'' said Palmer. "It's a combination of John (Dorsey), Ken Zampese coming in, the amount of cap space, the picks, all of that stuff, the culture that's starting to shift and create. Hue (Jackson) is a great motivator. Guys like playing for Hue. Hue gets you fired up, and Hue knows a lot of football. He's coached all of the positions and he knows a ton of ball.  

"It's exciting,'' he said. "They've done such a good job and John Dorsey's the perfect guy. I talked about Ken Zampese, (offensive coordinator Todd) Haley is a great fit coming in, it's like Cleveland has become this place that all the kids want to play for now. It's not been in the past. Even agents, the whole conversation is like 'Cleveland has become this really attractive place to play.'

"I don't know if I've heard more positive stuff about a GM -- only positive stuff -- than I have about John Dorsey. ....The AFC North is not what's been the last five year. It's become the AFC South the last five years. Cleveland could totally have a good year and win the division. Everyone else is kind of on the ropes right now.''

Of course, this is after Hue (who nobody liked playing for) went 1-31.  He was fired after winning 2 more games over the 1st 8 weeks of 2018.  A year later they fired Dorsey. 

(the QBs above:  Stidham, Hackenberg, Darnold)

Jordan Palmer continues to of run over your cat.

24 minutes ago, transient said:

As far as humble nature, I think he conducts himself well and says the right things in the media, and when he's talking about his coaches and teammates I think he means it, but he also strikes me as someone who's carrying a pretty big chip on his shoulder given everything he had to go through to get where he is. He's good natured about it, but he gives it back to the media when they ask him about everything that's been said about him prior to this season. I don't remember who it was or what he said verbatim, but earlier this season a reporter was asking him something about what was reported on him coming out of college and instead of answering the question he interjected with "What'd YOU write about me" with a cocky smirk.

Humble in that he is able to look at himself and realize his own flaws. That's the first step to overcoming them.

A lot of guys think they are great and are so prideful that they can't see their own flaws.

My early comparison of Josh was to that of a young Elway, except Josh is bigger and is a better scrambler than John.  

The sky was always the limit, just wasn't sure if Josh would ever reach it.  3 seasons in, I think it's safe to say that he's exceeded expectations.

Well, I know it's a core idea of sports talk - the GOAT, the Best Pure Passer, the Best at Reading Defenses, etc., etc.

But Most Physically Gifted of All Time means you've watched and evaluated these guys who previously held the title:

- Roman Gabriel (watch some film; you'll see a lot of Josh)

- Bert Jones (same)

- Bobby Douglass (horrible accuracy, but we're talking "physically gifted" here - cannon arm, ran for almost 1,000 yards

- Randall Cunningham

- Colin Kaepernick

- Cam Newton

- John Elway (not a bad centerfielder either from what I've heard)

- Steve Young

- Aaron Rodgers

- Michael Vick (maybe not purely because he lacked the size)

Remember, for some of these guys we've got to look at how they were when they were 23/24 years old ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich

19 hours ago, Logic said:

Say what you want about Jordan Palmer being biased or giving good PR because he works with Josh but...

I 100% agree with him on one point: I believe that Josh Allen is the most physically gifted quarterback in NFL history. I don't take that statement lightly, and I'm not trying to be hyperbolic, and I don't feel it's an exaggeration. His combination of arm strength, size, speed mobility, and raw athleticism have no equal that I can think of in NFL history. The guys I CAN think of are Hall of Famers. Steve Young? John Elway? I'm not saying that he'll be as good as those guys or that he'll be the BEST quarterback in history -- though he might. But physically? I really do think he is the most physically gifted ever at the position. And he's 24 and he's a Buffalo Bill. Truly awesome.

Greg Cosell (with 4+ decades at NFL Films) was on Cowherd recently. We’ve all been hearing about Trevor Lawrence forever, but Cosell said Josh has more physical talent. I am THRILLED to see him tapping into it the way he has this year, and he should only get better. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

He also said Darnold was really good so uhh...

That's a media agreed-upon thing. 

"Do not speak bad about Darnold because he is such a nice guy"

Everyone in media circles has gotten this memo. No matter how awful Darnold plays, all of the media has mutually agreed to never criticize him.

Jordan Palmer is just playing along here like the rest of the media. He doesn't actually believe what he says about Darnold. Not one word.

However, what he said about Allen, he clearly does believe, and he should, because he is 1000% correct.

Edited by JoshAllenReceipts

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Say what you want about Jordan Palmer being biased or giving good PR because he works with Josh but...

I 100% agree with him on one point: I believe that Josh Allen is the most physically gifted quarterback in NFL history. I don't take that statement lightly, and I'm not trying to be hyperbolic, and I don't feel it's an exaggeration. His combination of arm strength, size, speed mobility, and raw athleticism have no equal that I can think of in NFL history. The guys I CAN think of are Hall of Famers. Steve Young? John Elway? I'm not saying that he'll be as good as those guys or that he'll be the BEST quarterback in history -- though he might. But physically? I really do think he is the most physically gifted ever at the position. And he's 24 and he's a Buffalo Bill. Truly awesome.

Well, see my list a few posts above.

I don't know that I've seen anyone more physically gifted, but there are some who are right there in the same conversation. 

The interesting thing is that the guys in that club all had success (well, other than Bobby Douglass), but not that many became the kind of multiple SB winners we hope we have in Josh. It's a hard game ....

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean he's not wrong really this is just year 3 I would be surprised if with even more experience he doesn't continue to improve. That doesn't necessarily translate to way better seasons statistically though.

Josh had 29 total TDs last year, and 46 total TDs this year.

At this rate, he'll hit 60 TDs next year.

Better statistical seasons are coming for sure. 

1 hour ago, Billever76 said:

Exactly..Darnold has the tools to be a pretty legit passer in the nfl...jets really did not set him up to succeed....I personally think darnold can be a probowl caliber qb and a top 10 qb in the nfl.....he just needs a change of scenery and some real coaching and weapons to help him..id like to see him in Minnesota or new Orleans after brees

He does not, at all. Darnold has extremely Low Football IQ, is a slow processor, is a perpetual Turnover Machine, is horribly inaccurate, and is a horrible leader.

Darnold has no future in the NFL.

Stop being brainwashed by the "Let's All Protect Sam Darnold" media agenda.

4 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Maybe, but honestly don't you think he could write his own checks with pretty much any QB in the league for the next decade at least?

Right. I don't know how much of the credit he gets for improving Allen's accuracy, but even partial credit is enough to keep him busy for a long time. I'm not sure any NFL QB has made the kind of strides Allen made between years 1 and 3.

I guess people can wonder about Jordan Palmer but it seems to me that if the QBs  (his clients) didn't think he

was worth the money they pay him for his services he wouldn't have a business.

So Jordan brings up something I haven't even thought of lately, Josh can get better.

Josh can get BETTER.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah he is full of hot air.....he literally said that Darnold had pretty much the same ceiling later in the segment.......... but there is some footage of his footwork and mechanics at the bottom of the article linked from when he signed with the Bills in camp in 2014.........so there is his footwork.

Back then "Bills Roundup" meant "7-9? Pretty much .500".

I am not ready to put Josh over Mahomes just yet, but we could be looking at the new Brady vs. Manning QB rivalry in the AFC for the next 10 years. Crazy to think the Bills could have one of those dynamic type QB's. But we will see just how good Josh is in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Once the Jets no longer were able to get the first pick in the draft (and the opportunity to draft Trevor Lawrence), I immediately thought that they would go after Daboll as their HC because of Daboll's involvement in Josh's development with the thought that he could do the same think with Darnold.

I hope we do not lose Daboll to the Jets.  I would much rather see him go elsewhere if he gets a HC opportunity.

If I was a gambling man (or a man who had money to gamble), I'd bet the house that Dabol goes to the Chargers, if reports of them being interested are accurate. Went to high school, played football with the GM...a pretty nice roster, with a very Josh-like QB. It is the perfect situation for him.

Edited by Buftex

Just now, Buftex said:

If I was a gambling man (or a man who had money to gamble), I'd bet the house that Dabol goes to the Chargers.

As a Bills fan, I would prefer that to Daboll going to the Jets.  Daboll may feel the same way as well given that the Chargers have a young QB with potential.

1 minute ago, Buftex said:

If I was a gambling man (or a man who had money to gamble), I'd bet the house that Dabol goes to the Chargers.

I would have said it seemed like a lock but now Dean Spanos is going to be involved in the hiring so there is hope yet that the Bills won't have coaching turnover.

I’ve been reading all about Josh’s biggest attribute being his confidence level being so high. I honestly believe the confidence masks the real attribute, and that’s anger.

It just seems to me that since the wild card loss last year, he’s been playing with a massive chip on his shoulder. Ironically it was a shoulder issue that slowed him down, bad luck and worse timing.

Now some will say he ignores his critics but from what I’ve seen, I think he at least keeps some of what they say in the back of his mind. 

If I’m right, I’ll wonder what not winning the MVP will do for him

13 minutes ago, Buftex said:

If I was a gambling man (or a man who had money to gamble), I'd bet the house that Dabol goes to the Chargers, if reports of them being interested are accurate. Went to high school, played football with the GM...a pretty nice roster, with a very Josh-like QB. It is the perfect situation for him.

And the weather is awesome year round.

Just now, buffalo2218 said:

If I’m right, I’ll wonder what not winning the MVP will do for him

I obviously wouldn't be upset if he won the MVP... but I am not pulling for it. Super Bowl champ in 2020...MVP 2021.  Doesnt hurt too have that extra motivation.

1 minute ago, Buftex said:

I obviously wouldn't be upset if he won the MVP... but I am not pulling for it. Super Bowl champ in 2020...MVP 2021.  Doesnt hurt too have that extra motivation.

If the Bills end up being the SB champs, it’s a pretty safe bet Allen gets the MVP nod. When he took the next step from year 2 to year 3, he ended up stepping on the league

6 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

If the Bills end up being the SB champs, it’s a pretty safe bet Allen gets the MVP nod. When he took the next step from year 2 to year 3, he ended up stepping on the league

I may be wrong, but don't they name the MVP before the Super Bowl?

3 hours ago, MJS said:

I there have been plenty of QB's with physical gifts as good or even better than Allen apart from maybe arm strength (but maybe Jamarcus Russell even had a stronger arm).

What sets Allen apart is the combination of three things: 1) His physical skill set, as mentioned, 2) His mental acuity (he had a very high wonderlic score and can process things quickly, plus he is just generally a sharp dude), and 3) His work ethic, maybe combined with his humble nature that allows him to get the most out of his work ethic because he is his number 1 critic.

Combine that with his competitive fire, penchant for leadership and support if his teammates, and drive to be the best and you have a Super QB.

Agreed. 

A QB with JUST his drive, will, and intelligence would likely be successful in this league. 

A QB with all of that PLUS his elite physical gifts? The ceiling is sky high. Or, as Dion Dawkins says, there IS no ceiling!

Allen is a FrankenQB

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he is full of hot air.....he literally said that Darnold had pretty much the same ceiling later in the segment.......... but there is some footage of his footwork and mechanics at the bottom of the article linked from when he signed with the Bills in camp in 2014.........so there is his footwork.

Back then "Bills Roundup" meant "7-9? Pretty much .500".

the footwork was a running joke here during his cup of coffee in Buffalo