Missed extra point

Eriwood70

I know hindsight is 20/20 but why not use a timeout after the Pick 6 to let Bass warm up? He was sitting on the bench not expecting to come in since the defense was on the field. We ended up going to the half with 3 timeouts in our pocket. 

Edited by ALLEN1QB
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ALLEN1QB said:

I know hindsight is 20/20 but why not use a timeout after the Pick 6 to let Bass warm up? He was sitting on the bench not expecting to come in since the defense was on the field. We ended up going to the half with 3 timeouts in our pocket. 

As hot as Bass has been you didn't expect him to miss a chippy

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ALLEN1QB said:

If it was a warm up issue then he shouldn't be doing anything else but warming up. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. 

It was a rare error by Bass in recent weeks. Having said that, did it miss? I thought it was similar to the one in his first game.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Surely you can't be serious....take a TO after a TD for your kicker?

Edited by nucci
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Eriwood70 said:

Was it just me, or did it look good? Is it possible that T Bass kicks it so high that the refs don’t see it go thru the uprights? It happened once already this season.

I've just questioned this in another thread. Looked very close to being good to me. I'll have another couple of looks on Gamepass to see if it's any clearer the day (sort of) after. 

3 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Because we might have needed them later to help us get 3 or 6?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Feels like the NFL’s equivalent to the MLB strikezone. Tech could do it better unquestionably, but they prefer the nostalgia. Personally, I love the ump calling balls and strikes over tech, but this is stupid on extra points. Especially with all the emphasis they put on cameras down the goal line. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

Surely you can't be serious....take a TO after a TD for your kicker?

That's exactly what I'm saying!!! You have the timeouts why not use them instead of throwing them away. I bet he would have made it if they would have just saying.

Edited by ALLEN1QB

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

It is the kickers job to be ready to kick.  He had plenty of time between the pick six, the celebration and then the kick.

If I ever saw a coach use a timeout to let a kicker get "warmed up" (unless MAYBE if it was a game winner) i would lobby for said coach to be fired. 

It's the kind of thing Anthony Lynn would do.

I've just re-watched the kick of couple of times on Gamepass and I think it was good. Hard to tell for sure as it obviously doesn't give a back line angle but it's very similar to the "miss" in Bass' first game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

You know we have a good team when our biggest concerns are 2-point defense and extra points.  Man, how far we've come.

It's all about the details. If it would have cost us the game you would be singing a different tune.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Still, Bass needs to kick it lower so it's not a judgement call for the refs. It's an extra point, not a 60 yarder.

There are two threads going about the subject but I've just posted in the other saying I've re-watched the kick a few times and I think it was good. However, not kicking it above the height of the posts should take away the risk of a flustered call.

Edited by BritBill

Just now, BritBill said:

It's the kind of thing Anthony Lynn would do.

I've just re-watched the kick of couple of times on Gamepass and I think it was good. Hard to tell for sure as it obviously doesn't give a back line angle but it's very similar to the "miss" in Bass' first game.

This is the second kick this year that was borderline good but over the post, at least optically it looked good but the refs have the ideal position for that and at that point that is all they are watching.  It is a parallax view that makes it appear good.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Has that ever happened in the history of the NFL? Take a timeout before an extra point attemp?

Yes, but not to warm up a kicker.

It is typically for a special teams player being evaluated and not ready to go out for kick protection and the special teams coach was unaware.

It happens a couple of times a year.

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

This is the second kick this year that was borderline good but over the post, at least optically it looked good but the refs have the ideal position for that and at that point that is all they are watching.  It is a parallax view that makes it appear good.

Of course. We'll never know for sure.

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yes, but not to warm up a kicker.

It is typically for a special teams player being evaluated and not ready to go out for kick protection and the special teams coach was unaware.

It happens a couple of times a year.

I guess I’ve just never heard of it. Seems odd to me. There’s an awful lot of “unexpected touchdowns” scored every week

• Like (+1) 1

Never seen it happen before. Kickers are always warming up on the sidelines. He had just kicked a FG and a kickoff only a few minutes before.

The only argument that makes sense is the half was almost over, so the Bills would not have needed the timeout.

He just missed. It was mental not physical. He has been really good most of the year. At least two kickers I saw yesterday issued three FG attempts in one game.

I’m just glad McD didn’t bench the rookie to teach him a lesson. You know he has to learn those points are important.

14 minutes ago, BritBill said:

If it was a warm up issue then he shouldn't be doing anything else but warming up. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. 

It was a rare error by Bass in recent weeks. Having said that, did it miss? I thought it was similar to the one in his first game.

Agree, the two he missed were both very questionable.  Both looked like they could have been in.

Did Tyler Bass miss the extra point, and why wasn't it reviewed?

In Week 1 against the Jets, Bass was ruled to have missed the first field goal attempt of his career, although it appeared it might have gone through. 

Sunday night, Bass' extra point after Taron Johnson's pick six was deemed to have sailed wide right.  

While the generally accepted idea is that all scoring plays are reviewable, that does not apply to field goal attempts or extra points when the ball extends higher than the uprights. The issue is covered in Section 3, Article 11, Item 3 of the NFL rule book under field goal or try attempt.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Brennan Huff said:

I guess I’ve just never heard of it. Seems odd to me. There’s an awful lot of “unexpected touchdowns” scored every week

Exactly and guys go out and perform.

The times I have seen it is usually a guy like a TE gets dinged up and goes into the blue tent while on offense.  The team scores and that TE (a guy like Lee Smith) is still in the tent and the team gets lined up and realizes they only have 10 guys.  

Sometimes a guy runs on late and they have enough time and sometimes they have to burn a timeout.  The TDs don’t have to be unexpected for their to be an issue - it is usually just a guy getting dinged up and the training staff have not gotten the word to the coaching staff yet.