Missed extra point

Eriwood70

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They need Better technology to determine these things. 

Better technology for the game or fans?  I completely agree the kick looked good but we're looking at an angle with no depth perception.  I'll assume the official under the goal post does have the right angle and is able to make the correct call.  Will they sometimes make a mistake sure, but other than putting a camera there just for the purpose to show a replay so fans watching on TV will have a better answer and maybe for the 1 out of 500 or so kicks that you need to take a better look at.  But unless there's a camera on both posts still won't know for certain.

24 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I know hindsight is 20/20 but why not use a timeout after the Pick 6 to let Bass warm up? He was sitting on the bench not expecting to come in since the defense was on the field. We ended up going to the half with 3 timeouts in our pocket. 

🤦‍♂️

15 minutes ago, BBills88 said:

Why are we nitpicking. The kid has been on target for many games. It did not cause us the game and he also made the next kick. No harm done

WE aren’t. OP is.

13 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

It's all about the details. If it would have cost us the game you would be singing a different tune.

🤦‍♂️

4 minutes ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

Did Tyler Bass miss the extra point, and why wasn't it reviewed?

In Week 1 against the Jets, Bass was ruled to have missed the first field goal attempt of his career, although it appeared it might have gone through. 

Sunday night, Bass' extra point after Taron Johnson's pick six was deemed to have sailed wide right.  

While the generally accepted idea is that all scoring plays are reviewable, that does not apply to field goal attempts or extra points when the ball extends higher than the uprights. The issue is covered in Section 3, Article 11, Item 3 of the NFL rule book under field goal or try attempt.

This kick was good too! Dammit!

Only way to stop this crap is straight down the middle every time!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

nope, it was off to the right just a bit.  Eerily similar to his ‘miss’ week 1... lol

5 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

It’s an extra point;  Bass should

Be burying those down the middle. No excuses.

happens to the best kickers.   Bass has been pretty automatic the last 6 or 7 games.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BritBill said:

It's the kind of thing Anthony Lynn would do.

I've just re-watched the kick of couple of times on Gamepass and I think it was good. Hard to tell for sure as it obviously doesn't give a back line angle but it's very similar to the "miss" in Bass' first game.

I thought it was good too but depth perception may have been off due to the camera angle.  Obviously, the official standing directly under the upright had a better view than any of us or the cameras.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mafioso said:

I thought it was good too but depth perception may have been off due to the camera angle.  Obviously, the official standing directly under the upright had a better view than any of us or the cameras.

Do we really trust what the referees see, say and do? They’ve made some completely wrong calls with clear views and replay league wide. 

I need to double check but I think this might be the same crew that called his first FG a miss when it was good.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

42 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I liked that his next 3 kicks (2 XPs and FG) after the miss were pretty much perfectly center-cut.

Focused. I trust him.

Agreed.  I watched Red Zone most of the day, and it was just a terrible day for kickers overall.  Bass has been very solid, and can't be expected to be perfect.  

11 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Do we really trust what the referees see, say and do? They’ve made some completely wrong calls with clear views and replay league wide. 

I need to double check but I think this might be the same crew that called his first FG a miss when it was good.

I don't believe there is some sort of conspiracy going on but I definitely agree that NFL officials have made some horrible calls...even with replay.  The Lions game yesterday comes to mind...WR clearly had possession with both toes dragging (could see the rubber pellets fly up) and it was called incomplete on the field.  The Lions challenged it and the ref ultimately said the call on the field stands, incomplete!  The commentators and on air rules analyst were completely baffled as to how it wasn't changed to a completed catch after replay.

Edited by Mafioso

2 minutes ago, Mafioso said:

I don't believe there is some sort of conspiracy going on but I definitely agree that NFL officials have made some horrible calls...even with replay.  The Lions game yesterday comes to mind...WR clearly had possession with both toes dragging (could see the rubber pellets fly up) and it was called incomplete on the field.  The Lions challenged it and the ref ultimately said the call on the field stands, incomplete!  The commentators and on air rules analyst were completely baffled.

There was a similar call I want to say in the eagles game. Clear possession and both toes on ground in bounds called incomplete. Same thing both announcers and rules analyst were like wait what? They’re too involved in the outcome of games

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

As hot as Bass has been you didn't expect him to miss a chippy

I'm not convinced that he actually missed it.  In looking at replays it sure looked like it was inside the goalpost, albeit, probably 30 feet above the end of the post.  I'm surprised in todays technology world the NFL hasn't come up with some sort of sensor that they can stick in the end of the goalpost, pointing up and also out (left or right depending on which post) that would "detect" whether a ball went over/through the sensor (and therefore, if so, its no good because it would have hit the post or been wide).