Tre campaigning to get a real buffalo as the Bills mascot(video)...hilarious

Big Turk

Tre is on a podcast with Kim Pegula and Maddie Glab and Kim says that Tre has been campaigning for a real buffalo to be the Bills mascot and how they looked into it and it's expensive to have the buffalo travel from Colorado and the best thing would be to raise their own...Tre says he is going to make it happen and they are going to have it right on the side of the field....dude is hilarious! So glad we have guys that are genuinely good people on this team that also know how to cut loose and have fun.

https://twitter.com/BuffaloBills/status/1337464919046778882?s=20

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Tre is on a podcast with Kim Pegula and Maddie Glab and Kim says that Tre has been campaigning for a real buffalo to be the Bills mascot and how they looked into it and it's expensive to have the buffalo travel from Colorado and the best thing would be to raise their own...Tre says he is going to make it happen and they are going to have it right on the side of the field....dude is hilarious! So glad we have guys that are genuinely good people on this team that also know how to cut loose and have fun.

Does he still want Josh to ride it out of the tunnel?

he's a national treasure.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

https://twitter.com/BuffaloBills/status/1337464919046778882?s=20

But it's not just the buffalo, you gotta have someone to care for it and someplace to house it, and veterinary care, and then you need to be concerned it could live a sad lonely bison life so it needs environmental enrichment and buffalo friends - maybe not more buffalo but like maybe a goat or a donkey or a horse - HEY!  ED OLIVER!

• Haha (+1) 4

I'm glad they are kidding as this is an incredibly stupid idea. No one should take this seriously. 

A buffalo (bison, actually) is a wild animal. This is no different than a circus elephant or an orca at Seaworld. A domesticated animal like a horse or cow, fine. They are bred to be around people and trainable. The stress on a bison to do this would be just cruel. I know teams have done stupid s#$t like this in the past and some college teams still likely use wild animals in cages as "mascots" (see: Mike the Tiger @ LSU). People have gotten a lot more sensible and aware of what this does to wild animals and the public outcry you'd get for doing this would be enough to stop it and make the team look like dopes.

My 2 cents.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

I'm glad they are kidding as this is an incredibly stupid idea. No one should take this seriously. 

A buffalo (bison, actually) is a wild animal. This is no different than a circus elephant or an orca at Seaworld. A domesticated animal like a horse or cow, fine. They are bred to be around people and trainable. The stress on a bison to do this would be just cruel. I know teams have done stupid s#$t like this in the past and some college teams still likely use wild animals in cages as "mascots" (see: Mike the Tiger @ LSU). People have gotten a lot more sensible and aware of what this does to wild animals and the public outcry you'd get for doing this would be enough to stop it and make the team look like dopes.

My 2 cents.

I saw some kept in a fenced in area in Kansas as a historical location where bison used to be prevalent. It was one of those natural habitat center type things...pretty cool...I got some great pics.

25 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I watched this yesterday and wondered about Kim's comments about it being easier to raise a buffalo instead of hitting one. 

Tre would definitely raise one just to get it on the field and I would donate to that cause. 

Tre would not raise one.  The only thing Tre' wants to raise is the level of pranking around the team.

That thing about how they got these capsules the guys sniff before taking the field to get their heart rate up...and Tre snapped one and stuck it in front of McDermott

"I saw his face....he was mad...I could tell that it got him 'cuz he was really mad!"  (Tre doesn't sound worried)

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But it's not just the buffalo, you gotta have someone to care for it and someplace to house it, and veterinary care, and then you need to be concerned it could live a sad lonely bison life so it needs environmental enrichment and buffalo friends - maybe not more buffalo but like maybe a goat or a donkey or a horse - HEY!  ED OLIVER!

They could name the goat "Alan".

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

There has to be some local rancher that can rent Buffalo on Sunday afternoons?

There are definitely several ranches in NY, including pretty close, that raise buffalo.

But you don't just want a wild ranch-raised buffalo, you want one that has been hand-reared and is habituated to people and accustomed to the sounds of the crowd and the stadium, and that has been trained...and even then, you need to figure out how to protect it from every meathead who thinks it would be cool to poke it or throw something at it and scare it.  A spooked bison is no joke.

Colorado retired its mascot "Ralphie V" because she was running too fast and no longer responding to handler's cues consistently at age 13!

It says the annual cost of the mascot program is $60,000 and that doesn't include student handlers and donated ranch land where the buffalo roams.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I saw some kept in a fenced in area in Kansas as a historical location where bison used to be prevalent. It was one of those natural habitat center type things...pretty cool...I got some great pics.

We have a park near to me that has both an elk herd and a bison herd...it is a fenced area but it is a substantial fenced area, large enough that even in winter one can drive through and not always see them.  There are hiking trails, and hiking is allowed through the elk area but not the bison area.

I posted some pictures I took a while back in Off the Wall with a subject line Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo

44 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

My 2 cents.

My 3 cents.........

Let it roam around Orchard Park and graze. 

Eventually, introduce a female, and OP can become a National Park, with a football stadium inside of it. 

It's already a "wild" space on gamedays (not in 2020), so this makes sense. #roastme

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

My 2 cents.

Is it cruel if they bbq it in the parking lot at the end of the season and feed it to the fans?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There are definitely several ranches in NY, including pretty close, that raise buffalo.

But you don't just want a wild ranch-raised buffalo, you want one that has been hand-reared and is habituated to people and accustomed to the sounds of the crowd and the stadium, and that has been trained...and even then, you need to figure out how to protect it from every meathead who thinks it would be cool to poke it or throw something at it and scare it.  A spooked bison is no joke.

Colorado retired its mascot "Ralphie V" because she was running too fast and no longer responding to handler's cues consistently at age 13!

Agreed. These are not pets or farm animals. Social distancing to a bison is a lot different than with people or domesticated animals. Being within 10-20 feet of a bison is like walking up nose-to-nose with a person. They don't take it well.

I've also seen these in "fenced in" areas. I drove through Ted Turner's ranch in Montana, which essentially like a wild prairie. I was unlucky enough to be hiking in Yellowstone when a bison decided to follow me and my girlfriend down the trail. We didn't see him but felt the ground shaking like a scene from Jurassic Park. We turned around to see him coming and stepped a number of feet off the trail and behind some trees. It was like watching a large pickup truck saunter by. 

A bunch of idiots in Yellowstone get gored every year for getting too "close"

Yellowtone National Park - A Bison Attacks - AllTrips

6 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Is it cruel if they bbq it in the parking lot at the end of the season and feed it to the fans?

Billy Bison might be thankful to be put out of his misery but it might be cruel to the fans that eat him depending on who's doing the cooking. :)

Bison can be pretty tasty if cooked correctly, which has not always been my experience in the several times I've eaten it. 😝

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We have a park near to me that has both an elk herd and a bison herd...it is a fenced area but it is a substantial fenced area, large enough that even in winter one can drive through and not always see them.  There are hiking trails, and hiking is allowed through the elk area but not the bison area.

I posted some pictures I took a while back in Off the Wall with a subject line Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo

Are you in that area? I was at my graduation at Fort Hays State University in Hays, KS

2 hours ago, BisonMan said:

My 2 cents.

Tre's sense of humor is lost on folks like you.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It says the annual cost of the mascot program is $60,000 and that doesn't include student handlers and donated ranch land where the buffalo roams.

True. True.

The University of Washington has an Alaskan Malamute (not a Husky) as their mascot. They have to get a new one every 8-10 years.  They find several possible pups and do extensive extensive training as you say to be able to handle the crowds, noise, fireworks etc. There is a lot to it.  And I suspect dogs are easier to train than buffalos.

If I were Kim I would tell the Tredavian Nightmare we can have a.Buffalo on the field for all AFC Championship GAMES at home.  And then fly in the one from Colorado when that happens. 

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Like the Donkey from Shrek Hap.?  Reminds me of a couple people we know (Gugs, Don, GB, Donuts 😇😂🤣😅). You’re donkey talks, yeah it’s gettin him to shut up that’s the trick.  Just kidding guys as I luv ya all.  That was my kids favorite animated movie growing up.  I knew you guys could take a little kidding.

Lets Go Buffalo!

You realize the next thing is having a naming contest. House Buffalo, Ridgeway Buffalo, Simon Buffalo, Chandman Buffalo.  Guess we’ll have to keep working on it.

God, I can’t wait for tomorrow night.  

42 minutes ago, BillsBytheBay said:

Note the first line in my response “I'm glad they are kidding...”. I was referring to both Pegula and Tre. It’s the people who take this seriously who I take issue with.

• Like (+1) 1

Tre be careful for what you wish for lol

In my first duty squadron at Norton AFB CA we were known as the "roos" in reference to all the down under missions we would fly.

Our squadron commander thought it would be a cool idea to get a real kangeroo for the annual squadron photo

Me (being the lowest ranking airman) had the job of holding the kangeroo still to get the photo.....that ***** thing proceeded to beat the ***** out of me for an hour with my commander yelling at me to keep the animal still for the photo

They kept having to stop the photo's to stop my bleeding.....eventually we got the photos taken

PS I hate kangeroos

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, BillsBytheBay said:

I don't think he's the one where Tre's the sense of humor took the first wrong turn....it's all the people saying "great idea" trala

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Tre be careful for what you wish for lol

In my first duty squadron at Norton AFB CA we were known as the "roos" in reference to all the down under missions we would fly.

Our squadron commander thought it would be a cool idea to get a real kangeroo for the annual squadron photo

Me (being the lowest ranking airman) had the job of holding the kangeroo skill to get the photo.....that ***** thing proceeded to beat the ***** out of me for an hour with my commander yelling at me to keep the animal still for the photo

They kept having to stop the photo's to stop my bleeding.....eventually we got the photos taken

PS I hate kangeroos

Thats.  A.  Great.  Story.

Only in the Armed Forces.

I laughed until I cried.

I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time

20 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

Note the first line in my response “I'm glad they are kidding...”. I was referring to both Pegula and Tre. It’s the people who take this seriously who I take issue with.

I've never been one to preach at a joke.  Kinda kills the fun.  

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think he's the one where Tre's the sense of humor took the first wrong turn....it's all the people saying "great idea" trala

Thats.  A.  Great.  Story.

Only in the Armed Forces.

I laughed until I cried.

I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time

I think people are just running With the fun.. but it's cool.  No reason to continue taking wind from the sails.  Back to the fun.

I stand corrected oh great Hapless one.  

Side note, want to get excited about football?  The Express was just on NFLN.  One of my all time favorites regarding football and life.  God, I’m pumped for tomorrow.  Reminds of my playing days where you can’t do anything but think about it 24 hours in advance.