Daniel Jones---bust?

Big Turk

Only in hot take world.  People need to realize that the Giants have a poorly constructed team right now.  Guys like Sheperd and Engram are solid, but Jones has almost no O-line and lost one of the best RB's in the league early this season.

Too early to call him a bust, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Jones now has played 20 games and has 21 INTs and 15 lost fumbles, which gives him the most turnovers(36 total) through his first 20 games for a QB since Ryan Leaf had 41...

Think it might be time to realize he isn't the guy they thought he was and maybe is more like the guy every other team thought he was...

https://sports.yahoo.com/time-giants-start-wondering-daniel-054545643.html

Is 20 games enough to judge a QB? It sure isn't in Buffalo.

6 minutes ago, QCity said:

Is 20 games enough to judge a QB? It sure isn't in Buffalo.

Maybe when he is getting worse not better and making the same glaring mistakes more frequently instead of less frequently?

Edited by matter2003

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is good right until you need him to be. And then he isn't. 

The Giants should clean house - starting with Dave Gettleman - maybe hold onto Judge (he has got them playing hard they are just bad) but start again at QB.

That's a bad situation unless you're going to let your coach have a say in the GM. Otherwise, you just end up with a GM who didn't hire the coach and that tends to be a tough situation to be successful in.. I'm not necessarily against the coach > GM model, but you have to go that route or drop the coach and let the GM hire the coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

Only in hot take world.  People need to realize that the Giants have a poorly constructed team right now.  Guys like Sheperd and Engram are solid, but Jones has almost no O-line and lost one of the best RB's in the league early this season.

Too early to call him a bust, imo.

The Giants have weapons. Shepard, Slayton, Tate, Engram.

How would he look on the Jets throwing to Jeff Smith and Braxton Berrios?

7 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

And Gettleman could have taken his future QB the year before and been all set....instead he went RB.

If he had taken a QB, he probably would have picked Rosen & cut him already. 

3 hours ago, BillsToast said:

Allen looked brutal in year 2. 

Are you blind or a stat boy who doesn't watch games.  Allen put the team on his back in a bunch of games last year.  

29 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think Patrick Mahomes is on a trajectory we've never seen before and it makes it really hard to reasonably judge young QBs after he broke the curve. 

Umm...what about Burrow...Herbert...Jackson...Allen to some degree...

The NFL is designed for young QB's to come in and succeed right away now more than ever.

9 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

How do you explain Wentz?

He was doing great starting out in his rookie year and then tailed off towards the end...came back in year 2 and was looking like an MVP candidate then got hurt and hasn't quite been the same since.  He has regressed badly this year. Some think losing Frank Reich as OC and QB whisperer was an issue because he hasn't been the same since he left.

But let's take a closer look...from 2017-2019, he threw 81 TD's to 21 INT's in 40 games with QB Ratings of 101.9, 102.2 and 93.1 for the 3 years.  Let's not pretend he sucked the way he has this year all that time.

So my question back to you is What about Wentz?

image.thumb.png.6a6970a62818a1a0c53a746bae160100.png

Edited by matter2003

7 hours ago, KCNC said:

Would be nice but I honestly don't see how the Jests win a game this year.

I think the Jets beat the Dolphins 🐬 for their 1 victory. Primarily so High IQ can explain how the data from that loss propels them to the division crown. 

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Are you blind or a stat boy who doesn't watch games.  Allen put the team on his back in a bunch of games last year.  

I actually watched Jones play last year and he had games demonstrably better in quality and quantity. 

The blindness would be the person who denies reality. Allen sucked last year. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Jones now has played 20 games and has 21 INTs and 15 lost fumbles, which gives him the most turnovers(36 total) through his first 20 games for a QB since Ryan Leaf had 41...

Think it might be time to realize he isn't the guy they thought he was and maybe is more like the guy every other team thought he was...

https://sports.yahoo.com/time-giants-start-wondering-daniel-054545643.html

Jones is to some degree suffering from the same problem as Sam Darnold.

He was drafted by one HC and OC.  His second year, he switched to another. 

His first year, under Pat Shurmur and Mike Shula, he looked decent - acceptable completion percentage, acceptable TD and INT, not a lot of YPA and a few too many sacks but those are not uncommon occurances with a young QB.  They actually had a decently productive offense - 18th for points

This year under Joe Judge and Jason Garrett, he doesn't look nearly as good and neither does the offense, 31st.  Learning a new offensive system with a minimal off season surely isn't helpful, but I don't think Jones suits Garrett's vision of what kind of QB he wants quite as well.

This, My Children, is why continuity matters.

• Like (+1) 1

So you draft another one its not like it was in the pre Rookie slot money days.

Draft an early QB back then and you were tied to him because of the crazy salaries they were getting.

Miss now and you go back to the Draft and try again if you still have a job ;)

Edited by JMF2006

3 hours ago, BillsToast said:

I actually watched Jones play last year and he had games demonstrably better in quality and quantity. 

The blindness would be the person who denies reality. Allen sucked last year. 

This is comedy, right?

• Haha (+1) 1

It got to be laughable how many times he overthrew his guys.  Ball was either too far deep or too far in front of his crossers.

He has a nice arc trajectory, like Russell Wilson, so when he hits on a pass it looks great because it drops down into the WR.   But unlike Russ (or Josh) he doesn't seem to have enough elusiveness and pocket presence to cut it as a franchise guy.

23 hours ago, matter2003 said:

But isn't that a bust? Someone who plays far below their draft status? The dude is likely a career backup and probably a good one but nobody gets picked 6th overall to have that career.

A player has no control over where they get picked, so it’s not on them in that respect, this is more so a bad selection by the GM than anything else. The guy is a backup QB not his fault were he gets picked.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

It got to be laughable how many times he overthrew his guys.  Ball was either too far deep or too far in front of his crossers.

He has a nice arc trajectory, like Russell Wilson, so when he hits on a pass it looks great because it drops down into the WR.   But unlike Russ (or Josh) he doesn't seem to have enough elusiveness and pocket presence to cut it as a franchise guy.

To me? His eyes seem too slow.  Some figure it out, others don't.  They honestly seem slower than they did last year.

Edited by dneveu

20 minutes ago, dneveu said:

To me? His eyes seem too slow.  Some figure it out, others don't.  They honestly seem slower than they did last year.

I guess to be fair he is in a new system with a new coach and new OC without the benefits of a normal offseason of work due to Rona Restrictions...maybe he will figure it out or maybe he just isn't going to be good in Garret's system.

• Like (+1) 1

For those interested in a detailed look, Brett Kollman ("The Film Room") did a piece on Daniel Jones over the summer:

His conclusion: "I don't know". 

Jones has NOT looked as good this Fall.  Maybe the system or the coaching?  Maybe he's pressing on a bad team?  Don't know.

12 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

That seems to be the main issue to my eyes - he has neither the pocket presence that lets some of the smaller, slighter QBs like Brees just sidestep or step up and make guys miss, or the athletic attributes that let a QB be elusive.