Interesting note from Sal on WGR

23 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

exactly. Something that would kill the drive and put them in 3rd and long. 

I would have run, run, run all day yesterday— even on 3rd down and medium. Just run up the middle. It was working. 

I agree - the run game was working....LET.  IT.  WORK!

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He said the conditions weren't really that bad.  Wind gusts here and there.

The Bills ran it so much because NE constantly had 7 defensive backs on the field. 

NE ran it so much because the Bills have a bad run defense and wanted to big boy us....plus they don't trust Cam.

Belicheck was afraid of us throwing all over him?

Yes. They had Dime in the whole game. 

59 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

Yeah hopefully the run game continues to improve. We need a counter to teams playing a deep zone.

that WR screen to brown was another type of that play. Blocked up right you can spring those for big gains. 

• Like (+1) 1

Absolutely.   Belichick is a film-study genius.   He knew he couldn't win a game with Allen throwing 35-40 passes, especially without Gilmore.  

I just said in the Rockpile thread that this was Super Bowl XXV all over again.  Belichick looked at Reed, Lofton and Beebe and said "we have to force them to run the ball."  He looked at Diggs, Brown, and Beasley and said the same thing.  Belichick knew he couldn't win a shootout.  

It's not rocket science.  The Bills have been getting a steady diet of this for weeks.   They have to run the ball.  It's on the offensive line.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I agree - the run game was working....LET.  IT.  WORK!

Yesterday's offense doesn't concern me.  They didn't do much in the first half after that first drive, but I am willing to give a team a half to adjust when they lose their starting center and replace him with a guard who hasn't played all year.  Then, in the second half, they scored 17, which is not bad considering the emphasis on the run.  The first half defense was good...but the second half defense....yeesh.  That's where my worries lie after that game.

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Absolutely.   Belichick is a film-study genius.   He knew he couldn't win a game with Allen throwing 35-40 passes, especially without Gilmore.  

I just said in the Rockpile thread that this was Super Bowl XXV all over again.  Belichick looked at Reed, Lofton and Beebe and said "we have to force them to run the ball."  He looked at Diggs, Brown, and Beasley and said the same thing.  Belichick knew he couldn't win a shootout.  

It's not rocket science.  The Bills have been getting a steady diet of this for weeks.   They have to run the ball.  It's on the offensive line.  

Other teams seem to be able to throw.  Heck the week beore the 49'ers did (and ran too) vs. the Pats.  

A balance is fine and that usually means more passing yards.  

Typical excuses and crediting BB, istead of questioning McD.

The Bills should have won by 10+.

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think getting Mongo back is Big for the Bills.  I hope he's OK, and I hope Cody Ford didn't really need IR.  But it's not all on the OL.

What I saw yesteday was in part the impact Josh Allen can have on the run game by checking from one run play to another.  He did a great job with the "Alert!" calls.  I hope this is a natural part of Josh's progression as a QB and we'll continue to see this going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, fergie's ire said:

Yesterday's offense doesn't concern me.  They didn't do much in the first half after that first drive, but I am willing to give a team a half to adjust when they lose their starting center and replace him with a guard who hasn't played all year.  Then, in the second half, they scored 17, which is not bad considering the emphasis on the run.  The first half defense was good...but the second half defense....yeesh.  That's where my worries lie after that game.

Yesterday's offense did concern me in the first half. They put up 7 when they easily should have had 7-10 more and put the Pats down at least 2 scores. The turnover cost a chance at 3 and put the defense in bad field position where they coughed up a field goal. The defense played well in the first half actually owning the Pats for the most part. The offense couldn't get those extra scores. Then the script flipped in the second half. The offense put up 17 points whereas the defense gave up 15 and needed a turnover to not have the game tied or possibly give up 21 and lose the game. 

I think this team has to learn to play complementary football. Too often has one side of the ball stalled while the other has played great. It has been very rare that both sides of the ball are playing well at the same time.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Other teams seem to be able to throw.  Heck the week beore the 49'ers did (and ran too) vs. the Pats.  

Dude, the 49ers threw the ball 25 times in perfect conditions.  And they didn't have 7 defensive backs as many times as they did against the Bills.  

Context....you just lack it so badly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

i didn't get my way!  

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47bcn6yhr8b8j8o6ffwor

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

It was a windy day, not sure Sal's method of evaluating wind speed by looking at nets blowing on the sideline is real valid considering nets are not a solid surface for wind to grab on to.

He did say there was wind but he was comparing it to the other games where it was impossible to throw.

It wasn't ideal but it wasn't terrible.  He felt we could have thrown it more but why would you against a dime defense?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Dude, the 49ers threw the ball 25 times in perfect conditions.  And they didn't have 7 defensive backs as many times as they did against the Bills.  

he doesn't understand.  if it's not a shootout, the win is worthless.     he's a grown man who would rather be entertained with stats than a win.  fantasy football has ruined many good people.

It was painfully obvious that they didn't trust Cam to throw the ball down field. Any time it was 3rd and more than 6, they ran it and printed it away or played for the field goal. It was VERY conservative and I was surprised.

I think it's safe to say Cam is on a short leash and of he has another bad game or two he could be benched.

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

You so realize that MOST games in the NFL are only won by a single score, right?

You don't need excuses when you win, buddy.

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They didn't need to throw the second half (6 passes)....  Threw for 277 vs. NE.  

So then you're saying that SF ran for more yards against a stacked box too.....  

Sucking & Blowing at the same time......  Geez.

8 minutes ago, teef said:

he doesn't understand.  if it's not a shootout, the win is worthless.     he's a grown man who would rather be entertained with stats than a win.  fantasy football has ruined many good people.

How about a convincing win at home against an inferior opponent?

14 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

We could win the super bowl and you'd still be questioning McD. 

Whether you like his coaching or not, we are 6-2 against a MUCH harder schedule than last year, we are in the driver's seat for a division win, and we've got plenty of talent on the team. 

We were completely prepared for Belechek's onside kick yesterday which we directly turned into points. 

We executed the correct gameplan against seven defensive backs. Josh was efficient and precise, bar that miscue with Diggs. 

Players like Zimmer are stepping up. 

Stop being so miserable and enjoy the ride a little. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

will style points help at the end of the year...no?  i get it.  i'd like to see far more from this team too.  i just won't cry after a win against a division rival.  most people realized that pats weren't going to roll over.  this was their last chance to get back into the season, and the bills stopped it.  a win is a win here.  hopefully they fix whatever the drag is now and return to form.  the season is halfway over, and you'd think they were out of the playoffs.

we get it...you didn't get your way.  time to complain about it all week!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

They didn't need to throw the second half (6 passes)....  Threw for 277 vs. NE.  

So then you're saying that SF ran for more yards against a stacked box too.....  

Sucking & Blowing at the same time......  Geez.

Context again.  It wasn't perfect throwing conditions.  It wasn't terrible but still not ideal.  Outside of this game and the KC game...we've averaged mid 30's in passing attempts.  

But in the games in which where weather wasn't great, we don't throw a lot and then you B word?

Why do you think Belicheck put 7 defensive backs on the field?  It's because he knows we throw it a lot.  

Since the Bills put up 31 against the Dolphins and the 49ers put up 17....I guess that means we're better.  You're one game per time thinking is just bizarre.  You can only think on the surface and that's it...zero depth.

6 minutes ago, teef said:

will style points help at the end of the year...no?  i get it.  i'd like to see far more from this team too.  i just won't cry after a win against a division rival.  most people realized that pats weren't going to roll over.  this was their last chance to get back into the season, and the bills stopped it.  a win is a win here.  hopefully they fix whatever the drag is now and return to form.  the season is halfway over, and you'd think they were out of the playoffs.

we get it...you didn't get your way.  time to complain about it all week!

At least we can agree on something......

20 to 40 mph gusts and 7 Db's....

Throwing any more than minimally yesterday would have been literally the worst possible approach to offense yesterday.

Its very elementary, and won't make traditional stats look like people want them to look.

Bonus - Run blocking was extremely effective yesterday, and our 2 good Rb's (who have been good the whole time by the way) went off.

Enjoy the win

39 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Except in the SB the Bills stubbornly refused to run the ball down the Giants throats and force them out of their light front and DB heavy defense.  Thurman had just 15 carries for 135 and a 9 yard average.  I would have ran him until his legs fell off that day.  30 years later I still cannot understand why a guy as smart as Marv is couldn't see the futility of attacking that scheme through the air.  And why he didn't direct Kelly and Marchabroda to run more and move up and down the field all day.  One of the most blatant examples of not taking what they give you in the history of the game.  

Yesterday the Bills didn't repeat that mistake.  Now we just need the defense to do some quick learning.   

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

At least we can agree on something......

i think the majority of people agree with you, but acting like the sky is falling after a win is just strange.  the bills had a plan this week and stuck to it.  going into the game i figured most assumed it would be a quiet game offensively.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, First Round Bust said:

also I like was SF did last week - use speed on the edge as a counter to the run left - WR screens or jet end-around call here and there to attach the edge

Yep that was open for us too.... that one WR bubble screen to Brown worked nicely.

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Context again.  It wasn't perfect throwing conditions.  It wasn't terrible but still not ideal.  Outside of this game and the KC game...we've averaged mid 30's in passing attempts.  

But in the games in which where weather wasn't great, we don't throw a lot and then you B word?

Why do you think Belicheck put 7 defensive backs on the field?  It's because he knows we throw it a lot.  

Since the Bills put up 31 against the Dolphins and the 49ers put up 17....I guess that means we're better.  You're one game per time thinking is just bizarre.  You can only think on the surface and that's it...zero depth.

Yea I don’t get it? Belichick dared us to beat them with the run...and we did...and dudes are mad.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep that was open for us too.... that one WR bubble screen to Brown worked nicely.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I was begging for more screens yesterday. 7 DBs on the field and rushing 4–get your big uglies on the move and you can chunk play them to death.

Did McKittrick even play yesterday?

He said the conditions weren't really that bad.  Wind gusts here and there.

The Bills ran it so much because NE constantly had 7 defensive backs on the field. 

NE ran it so much because the Bills have a bad run defense and wanted to big boy us....plus they don't trust Cam.

The secondary is his baby.

7 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Except in the SB the Bills stubbornly refused to run the ball down the Giants throats and force them out of their light front and DB heavy defense.  Thurman had just 15 carries for 135 and a 9 yard average.  I would have ran him until his legs fell off that day.  30 years later I still cannot understand why a guy as smart as Marv is couldn't see the futility of attacking that scheme through the air.  And why he didn't direct Kelly and Marchabroda to run more and move up and down the field all day.  One of the most blatant examples of not taking what they give you in the history of the game.  

Yesterday the Bills didn't repeat that mistake.  Now we just need the defense to do some quick learning.   

Wow.  I didn't remember that Thurman had only 15 carries.   

To be honest, I never thought Marv was a great coach.  Inspirational, but not a great coach.  So, I'm not surprised he didn't adjust.  (It's always bothered me that when asked sometime after that game whether he should have done more to get his players up for the game, more psychology ready for the game, he said something like "they're professionals; they get themselves ready for the game."  Parcells must have laughed his ass off when he heard that - Parcells always was in his players' heads, and that's why he got results.   McDermott is WAY into his players' heads.)

As we know now, Belichick has always been about taking away what you do best.   In the Super Bowl, he took away the deep ball and Reed.  He pounded Reed all day.  The Bills didn't respond.   McDermott and Daboll are a different breed. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Had Davis caught that dropped TD pass you would still be bitching the Bills didn't win by 17.......

14 minutes ago, teef said:

i think the majority of people agree with you, but acting like the sky is falling after a win is just strange.  the bills had a plan this week and stuck to it.  going into the game i figured most assumed it would be a quiet game offensively.  

I don't say the sky is falling & never have.  

What I do question and have many times is McD's coaching and asking why can't we bury some opponents.  

A sad note the Jets are 0-8.  Outside a competitive game vs. Denver (lost by 9), their two closest games were vs. The Bills 

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

What I do question and have many times is McD's coaching and asking why can't we bury some opponents.  

A sad note the Jets are 0-8.  Outside a competitive game vs. Denver (lost by 9), their two closest games were vs. The Bills 

Hmmm... maybe because they’re a division opponent? It kind of works that way. At least we didn’t lose to the Jets. 

Tennessee only beat Jacksonville by 3.
Oakland knocked of the Chiefs. 
Arizona gave Seattle their first loss.  
Vikings just beat the Packers. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

they're not an elite team at this point.  maybe they figure things out as the season moves on, but who knows.  

concerning the closeness of the jets game...it just doesn't matter.  once the game is over, if you win by a point...it counts.  green bay is an elite team and has put up stinkers.  as pointed out before, the titans we handled by an inferior team.  it's the nfl, and blowouts don't happen as often as you may want to believe.  i wish we were kc too, but this is still a team in progress.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Did McKittrick even play yesterday?

He was banged up on the injury report, I don’t know how many snaps he got but he was front and center in the post game locker room vid in his skivvies and showed up to the game as the stay puft marshmallow man 

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, teef said:

I knew if the weather was bad it was gonna be a close game and the Patriots would have a chance to beat us.  It's like people have forgotten that weather is a huge factor in football.  Belichik used the weather and game plan to take away the passing game and we still won.  It's a big win no matter how you look at it.  We put up 24 against a good D in bad weather and people want to complain.  I guess "Bills Mafia"is full of complainers.