Interesting note from Sal on WGR

He said the conditions weren't really that bad.  Wind gusts here and there.

The Bills ran it so much because NE constantly had 7 defensive backs on the field. 

NE ran it so much because the Bills have a bad run defense and wanted to big boy us....plus they don't trust Cam.

Belicheck was afraid of us throwing all over him?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

The Bills ran it so much because NE constantly had 7 defensive backs on the field. 

NE ran it so much because the Bills have a bad run defense and wanted to big boy us....plus they don't trust Cam.

Yeah - we checked into a lot of runs because it was a light box too.  Like BB was daring Allen to try and do stupid stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I saw that break down somewhere else this morning too.

Yep, teams are afraid of Josh and our WRs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Bills tried to do the samething with Chiefs and make them run too. I wonder if this is going to be the trend on defense for the rest of the year against teams who can pass (leaguewide that is).

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes - Sal mentioned they defended the Bills the same way the Bills defended the Chiefs 

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Daboll and Josh need to stick with the run of that is the case. What was driving me nuts yesterday was when we would get cute on offense and it would result in a negative play. We could have run left every time for positive yardage every time. Just keep running if teams play us in a dime all game long. 

It seems like they always have one or two plays were they do that.  Always around the 25-30 yard line, a sweep, or qb run or something that bites them in the butt.  

The Bills took a page out of NEs book.. which is when you're not playing a great team, if you just do your job, then 9 times out of 10 the other team will eventually hand you the game.

And fortunately enough, the drop by Davis in the end zone wasn't the play that flipped this script back into NEs favor.

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That makes sense.  I'm hoping that some of the Bills' success at running the ball yesterday was due to the Bills getting better at it, but the Patriot focus on stopping the passing game had to be a significant factor in it's success.

26 minutes ago, Gregthekeg said:

It seems like they always have one or two plays were they do that.  Always around the 25-30 yard line, a sweep, or qb run or something that bites them in the butt.  

exactly. Something that would kill the drive and put them in 3rd and long. 

I would have run, run, run all day yesterday— even on 3rd down and medium. Just run up the middle. It was working. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Hope everyone likes Vanilla because I have a feeling it's McClapper's new favorite flavor.

With the next opponent being Seattle, and high flying QB Russell Wilson, and pleasant weather conditions looking likely, Buffalo will likely shoot for a balanced attack.  They'll try to run some to run clock and keep the ball away from Wilson, but I think they know they'll have to be able to get some chunk plays through the air too.

28 minutes ago, Gregthekeg said:

We do it too predictably sometimes.  I understand why we do it, it's been successful for us a lot.  But when I know its coming watching it from the couch, the D does too and now we're 2nd and 18.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Because we ran the ball?

Looks nothing like the offense we had the first 4 weeks now they look like the same old predictable Buffalo Bills. Just trying not to lose instead of trying to win.

2 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Looks nothing like the offense we had the first 4 weeks now they look like the same old predictable Buffalo Bills. Just trying not to lose instead of trying to win.

You think he McDermott doesn't want to score points or something?

So basically, New England puts seven defensive backs out there and you're not happy we ran?  

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

You prefer that he throw the ball with 7 DBs out there? 

I definitely think that they could’ve mixed in more bubble screens and short zone throws to keep the offense moving if they wanted, but the fact is that they scored 24 points (which should have been 28 if not for a brutal drop) in a windstorm and got the job done.

JWB

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You think he McDermott doesn't want to score points or something?

So basically, New England puts seven defensive backs out there and you're not happy we ran?  

Nope should have cost us the game if not for the fumble. Other teams are put in the same position and they have no problems

Edited by ALLEN1QB
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Nope should have cost us the game if not for the fumble. Other teams are put in the same position and they have no problems

How so? A drop by Davis on 3rd and goal cost the team 4 points and a 28-21 lead. That was a pass play by the way.

Games aren’t proverbially “won” very often in the NFL—as per Belichick himself, most games are lost, not won. I’ve watched NE****** win games because other teams gave it away for 20 years. 

J.W.B.

4 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Yeah like the Saints up 10 in the 4th ;) 

They got lucky.

55 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Joe B and Fairburn said the same thing.  The flags on the goal posts were blowing but down on field level it wasn’t too windy.  The rain seems to stop in the first half too.

Belichick emulated what other defenses have done the past 4 weeks - disguised looks, dropped 6 players, and had 2 players deep.  I think the difference was that the Bills ran it better than they would have liked 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

They were playing 7 DB's most of the game to take away the passing game so you adapt and run.

The Bills won quit being such a killjoy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I definitely think that they could’ve mixed in more bubble screens and short zone throws to keep the offense moving if they wanted, but the fact is that they scored 24 points (which should have been 28 if not for a brutal drop) in a windstorm and got the job done.

JWB

You know I just looked at the Drops numbers on PFR advanced stats and G.Davis is still showing no drops this season (and the stats are updated). So wth constitutes a drop then?

7 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

So basically you want to throw on 7 defensive backs.  

So the game plan that the Chiefs played against us by running when we had 7 defensive backs on the field was wrong.  They should have just thrown all day.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Hope everyone likes Vanilla because I have a feeling it's McClapper's new favorite flavor.

Always been his favorite......  BTW teams are also afaid of Mahomes passing, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Dak, Brady.......  So what, you have a stud and receivers that can overcome it?

Great back to 175 yard passing games?    

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

You know I just looked at the Drops numbers on PFR advanced stats and G.Davis is still showing no drops this season (and the stats are updated). So wth constitutes a drop then?

PFR doesn’t usually update until Wednesday IIRC...

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I saw that break down somewhere else this morning too.

Yep, teams are afraid of Josh and our WRs.

I think with NE.  It was trying to get some Speed on the field.  That defense is so freaking slow.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Just like he did  in the 1990 SB against us with that 6 DB package. I wish we had a Thurman Thomas like RB that could just destroy you if you go into that 6 CB look on defense.

• Like (+1) 1