Week 5: Bills at Titans on Tuesday Night Football

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

Just move the game to the Bills bye week. The titans are already scheduled to play in Baltimore that week. They can play the Ravens at 1:00 and the Bills at 4:30 on a neutral field. I’d think given the choice the Titans would take losing a home game and being forced into a doubleheader over an outright forfeit. 

I hope you're being facetious, but if not, players would stomp that proposal into the turf and piss on it, rightfully so. 

These guys are playing a very physical, highly demanding game and their bodies need time to rest and recover.  Injury rates would soar.  Unsafe.

6 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Sorry watching Chris Simms and whoever the other guy is talking about it. They should have never of allowed to let the NFLPA to get involved.

Ah, What?  The NFLPA has to be involved.  They represent the players, and the players need to approve the conditions under which they work (play).

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You stated "the NFL isnt using rapid test (meaning 15 minutes). They are using 12-24 hour test because they believe its more reliable.  "

That is not correct.  Per the link given, the NFL is using the POC test and are relying upon it to gatekeep daily entry to the facility for teams that have been in contact with outbreak teams: "all players and tier one and tier two individuals must also receive a daily POC test and test negative before entering the facility and taking part in daily activities"

They are also using the POC test on game day for these teams.

Because of the recent Titans outbreak yes. My apologies for my misquote. The NFL decided before the season they would trust and rely on PCR tests over POC tests to determine players eligibility. Please accept my humble apology, you are corect beyond correct. 

6 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Sorry watching Chris Simms and whoever the other guy is talking about it. They should have never of allowed to let the NFLPA to get involved.

Seriously, why involve labor in any decisions that impacts their members?

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, PaattMaann said:

Because of the recent Titans outbreak yes. My apologies for my misquote. The NFL decided before the season they would trust and rely on PCR tests over POC tests to determine players eligibility. Please accept my humble apology, you are corect beyond correct. 

It's all very confusing due to rapid change at the present time.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Boo hoo Ben, cant fault the team for getting Covid, but they can (and should) be punished for breaking protocols once they found out they had it.

Edited by Bray Wyatt

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hope you're being facetious, but if not, players would stomp that proposal into the turf and piss on it, rightfully so. 

These guys are playing a very physical, highly demanding game and their bodies need time to rest and recover.  Injury rates would soar.  Unsafe.

Ah, What?  The NFLPA has to be involved.  They represent the players, and the players need to approve the conditions under which they work (play).

Then those players who want the NFLPA to get involved don't need to play this season. The NFLPA ruined everything with their demands.

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

i thought this should have been the plan since the beginning.

They were able to do that with the NBA and the NHL players because their season was immensely shortened. We are talking about putting players in a hotel for four months, or in the Bills case (got that February date) longer. Good luck getting the NFLPA to agree to that

9 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Pause and extend the season as neccessary. If things get too out of hand, shorten the season.

Per info from @JGMcD2, the problem with shortening the season is an impasse:

-The owners don't want to (may not have the liquidity to fund) payroll for missed games in a shortened season. 

-The players don't want to give up 2 paychecks, 12.5% of their contractually agreed upon salary.

I've seen this cartoon elsewhere labeled "compromise may be expedient".  Losing 2 paychecks may be better than losing >2 paychecks.

image.thumb.png.73434b0a20d1b467eb89011d1d3a3ced.png

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, TBBills said:

They are talking about now forcing teams to stay in hotels for the rest of the season

Hmm advantage to owners who own hotels..

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I‘m mostly being facetious in that it’s not a serious proposal that I think anyone should consider, but an argument could be made that it’s not much different than a playoff game going to 4 overtimes, which has never happened but is possible. The major difference and why I would object to it is of course that in that situation it wouldn’t be fresh guys going up against guys who have already been through the grinder. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TBBills said:

I don't want players going next to each other after games. I don't want anyone near Allen, I want the players to run right into the locker room after.

Maybe Fangio was ahead of his time "Get the F off the field" 😃

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

Then those players who want the NFLPA to get involved don't need to play this season. The NFLPA ruined everything with their demands.

I think providing basic education about "collective bargaining" and what it means or entertaining a discussion about the drawbacks and benefits of unions is beyond the scope of this forum.  Translation: stop here.

• Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

My big concern would be on the prep side as preparation in the NFL has to be more detailed and extensive than preparation in the MLB (I can't know that for sure but it's just a guess).  For instance, I believe today is game plan install day for NFL teams playing on Sunday.  If they Bills suddenly were told, let's say tomorrow, they are playing the Broncos on Sunday, that would be tough on both teams to prepare for.

Oh, no question, and MLB is definitely not comparable to the NFL for that to such an extent on the prep need side, but they will need to be thinking outside the box on how to get a full season or at least enough games to get to a playoff format, and I thought this would at least be another decent backup option if circumstances permit. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Bigvinny said:

Part of the investigation by NFL and NFLPA into Titans' compliance with protocols concerns whether or not some Tennessee players gathered away from the facility for unauthorized workouts over the past week after the Titans had been told to have no such gatherings, source says.

Considering the continuous positives, they definitely were still meeting and working outside the facility

9 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Considering the continuous positives, they definitely were still meeting and working outside the facility

Possibly. But we would also need to know if there were extended family members who came down with it from community spread first, as opposed to this being a players-only phenomenon, before drawing that conclusion more definitely?

• Like (+1) 3

It's possible the KC game doesn't happen either. We got Bills who might be infected from the Raiders and Chiefs who might be infected from the Pats. 

This blows. We finally have a great start to a season and it could all be for nothing. 

9 minutes ago, TBBills said:

I don't want players going next to each other after games. I don't want anyone near Allen, I want the players to run right into the locker room after.

Never understood why this wasn’t mandatory as part of the protocol. The name of the COVID game has been testing, mask wearing, and social distancing. Collectively, they’ve only been good at and consistent with 1 out of 3. 

5 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Possibly. But we would also need to know if there were extended family members who came down with it from community spread first, as opposed to this being a players-only phenomenon, before drawing that conclusion more definitely?

Doesn't even have to be a family member.  As far as I know, players are still allowed to hire personal trainers and therapists for treatment outside the facility (massage, etc); they're allowed to hire people to come into their house such as personal chefs, personal shoppers; they're allowed go to into the community to get haircuts and dine in restaurants and socialize according to NFL restrictions and local regulations.  Of course, if everyone follows protocol and is masked up, the risks should be low, but....

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why shouldn’t the Bills practice?! I am glad to say I think Buffalo is one of the teams who will be doing everything by the book. Not saying that a player or staff member won’t get Covid, but I doubt it will be what we are seeing with the Tenn Covidians. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Gene1973 said:

It started with a coach who then spread it to players, or so I have heard.

Ok, what’s your point? What’s the difference between a coach or a player? It’s my understanding that EVERYONE involved with the teams is suppose to get tested and report any symptoms. 

25 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

If the Bills end up getting a forfeit, that's the kind of asterisk I was talking about before the season started. Can't get more illegitimate than that...

Ummm... no since every team is going through the same thing. So b/c the whole league is going through this it makes the Bills Illegitimate....

Edited by TBBills

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

It started with a coach who then spread it to players, or so I have heard.

The first tested infection on the Titans was a practice squad player brought in in accord with protocol

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2020/10/02/titans-covid-19-outbreak-postponement-timeline-week-4-nfl-2020/5884697002/