Feliciano shares frustration that he’s not allowed on sideline on Sunday per nflpa rules

YoloinOhio

Well, I have to agree with him. Why is 3 hours on Sunday more dangerous than the rest of the week? He’s still at the facility and around the team, even if it’s in rehab. He’s still being tested. How is this a real problem? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

I'm with the consensus here.  Sometimes unions deserve huge amounts of credit for standing up for those they represent.  On the other hand, sometimes they seem arbitrary and self serving.  At the very least, this sounds pretty arbitrary.

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

Well, I have to agree with him. Why is 3 hours on Sunday more dangerous than the rest of the week? He’s still at the facility and around the team, even if it’s in rehab. He’s still being tested. How is this a real problem? 

Is there an explanation from the league as to why he’s not allowed ? 

Just now, Putin said:

Is there an explanation from the league as to why he’s not allowed ? 

Although the policy seems to be a bit broken, I do imagine that it has something to do with league officials on and near the sideline and proximity to more players. Just spitballing here....

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

Although the policy seems to be a bit broken, I do imagine that it has something to do with league officials on and near the sideline and proximity to more players. Just spitballing here....

I guess the bright side of this is that the league is taking all precautions to keep everyone safe from COVID ,
even though it doesn’t make much sense in this case I’m ok with doing what ever needs to be done to have a full 16 game season 

• Like (+1) 1

I get the frustration, but limiting the contact on the field makes sense. If an opposing player is somehow infected and comes into contact with a Bills player, you want as few potential contacts as possible. So the NFL and NFLPA have been trying to get as few people on the sidelines as possible.

Makes sense to me.

• Like (+1) 2

I wonder if they just copied and pasted the rules that surround 'normal' IR, or some other form of IR.

Seems pretty dumb to me, bearing in mind the daily testing.

If you are being tested daily, surely you should be allowed into your place of work?

I would assume it's a numbers thing and limiting areas to only those that need to be there. The players aren't living in bubbles like the NHL and NBA, they go home to their families and because of this risk catching it while they are away from the team. They are also not in contact regularly with the other team and with the game officials and other crew there to broadcast the games. Adding extra people to the sidelines just adds to the possibility that someone could get infected. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

I would assume it's a numbers thing and limiting areas to only those that need to be there. The players aren't living in bubbles like the NHL and NBA, they go home to their families and because of this risk catching it while they are away from the team. They are also not in contact regularly with the other team and with the game officials and other crew there to broadcast the games. Adding extra people to the sidelines just adds to the possibility that someone could get infected. 

I think that’s probably the reason but I do think if someone has consistently tested negatively and they trust their testing they should be allowed as long as they wear a mask and stay 6 feet away from officials etc 

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think that’s probably the reason but I do think if someone has consistently tested negatively and they trust their testing they should be allowed as long as they wear a mask and stay 6 feet away from officials etc 

But how do you enforce it the whole time? It would be much easier and allow everyone to forgo the precautions if everyone wore hazmed suits or bubbles, but it's easier and more practical to just limit how many people are permitted on the sidelines. If he isn't playing in the game or part of the crew need to play and produce the game, he doesn't need to be there, other then being a fan/cheerleader.

First world problems I guess when players and fans get upset & angry because they cant attend a sporting event in person

40 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Is this the the year of the selfish? He should be positive the day before his team plays. 

There will be no fans and he wants to be there to fire up the team on the sideline and celebrate big plays. I don’t see that as selfish, at all.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I get them wanting to limit people uniformly on game days. Especially with some stadiums being a bit snug 

at facilities they are having to have plans to social distance etc.... 

it’s not ideal, but more bodies in tight quarters for hours on end is more risk and taking on that risk for a guy on IR May not be worth it. Plus you are rolling in refs, tv crews security and other non buffalo bill nfl partners into the discussion on Sunday. 

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I understand wanting to draw a line somewhere between allowed and not allowed, but I think John should fall on the allowed side of that line.

so where do you draw the line?

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I get them wanting to limit people uniformly on game days. Especially with some stadiums being a bit snug 

at facilities they are having to have plans to social distance etc.... 

it’s not ideal, but more bodies in tight quarters for hours on end is more risk and taking on that risk for a guy on IR May not be worth it. Plus you are rolling in refs, tv crews security and other non buffalo bill nfl partners into the discussion on Sunday. 

so where do you draw the line?

Coaches and players on the team: allowed.

Not on the team?  Are you Sal C. the roving sideline reporter? Sorry buddy, off the field (which I think he is).

I would define "players on the team" to include currently injured players or practice squad guys.

They are outdoors, they can wear masks, they can be asked to stand 6 feet away from other people, no big deal.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Coaches and players on the team: allowed.

Not on the team?  Are you Sal C. the roving sideline reporter? Sorry buddy, off the field (which I think he is).

I would define "players on the team" to include currently injured players or practice squad guys.

They are outdoors, they can wear masks, they can be asked to stand 6 feet away from other people, no big deal.

this year active and practice squad gets you to 69 players. Plus say another 10 IR once you are in the season? 

they will be carrying their largest rosters ever and need social distancing. I’m not going to the wall for the limitation as I haven’t measured every sideline in every stadium and done head counts on what’s needed in all the roles vs Max capacity... but it doesn’t get me fired up that injured players are being asked to stay away. I don’t think it’s a decision made with anything but good intention from people with far more data than you and I.

Just now, NoSaint said:

this year active and practice squad gets you to 69 players. Plus say another 10 IR once you are in the season? 

they will be carrying their largest rosters ever and need social distancing. I’m not going to the wall for the limitation as I haven’t measured every sideline in every stadium and done head counts on what’s needed in all the roles vs Max capacity... but it doesn’t get me fired up that injured players are being asked to stay away. I don’t think it’s a decision made with anything but good intention from people with far more data than you and I.

It's not getting me fired up either.  I don't really care one way or the other, to be honest.  I just voiced my opinion.

For the record, I am not the sort of 2BD knucklehead who voted for Trump and thinks 70,000 people should be at the game.

But the sideline is going to be FILLED with "essential personnel" players, coaches, trainers, doctors, presumably TV cameramen, officials, etc...a football field is a big, outdoor space, at least in OP, NY.

As I said, if Feliciano wants to be there as part of the team, I think he should be allowed to.  Put a mask on him and tell him to stay 6 feet away from all people, all the time.  There's no "risk" in that, beyond what many other people are taking at the same place at the same time.

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It's not getting me fired up either.  I don't really care one way or the other, to be honest.  I just voiced my opinion.

For the record, I am not the sort of 2BD knucklehead who voted for Trump and thinks 70,000 people should be at the game.

But the sideline is going to be FILLED with "essential personnel" players, coaches, trainers, doctors, presumably TV cameramen, officials, etc...a football field is a big, outdoor space, at least in OP, NY.

As I said, if Feliciano wants to be there as part of the team, I think he should be allowed to.  Put a mask on him and tell him to stay 6 feet away from all people, all the time.  There's no "risk" in that, beyond what many other people are taking at the same place at the same time.

i get it and wasn’t trying to say you were out of line. Honestly mongo was the one super fired up.

but if he’s stuck in the corner masked and always 6 ft away there’s no upside in having him and could only cause trouble in violating the rules.

Going a step further id guess team executives and coaches were very ok if not uniformly on board with the rule and didn’t want to have more to police.

Edited by NoSaint

Dealing with this pandemic is NEW FOR EVERYONE and there are bound to be some rules that someone does not agree with.  When this is over there are certainly going to be things we could do better that will be learned after the fact. 

I really like Feliciano but he needs to deal this it and keep his frustrations in check. 

Pull together, follow the rules, be civil and let’s get through this. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

i get it and wasn’t trying to say you were out of line. Honestly mongo was the one super fired up.

but if he’s stuck in the corner masked and always 6 ft away there’s no upside in having him and could only cause trouble in violating the rules.

Going a step further id guess team executives and coaches were very ok if not uniformly on board with the rule and didn’t want to have more to police.

Come on man.  Now you're arguing for the exercise of it.

He doesn't have to go to the corner.  Think about his beef here.  He wants to be "down there" (somewhere) "with his guys" as a show of support and so he feels like a part of the team.  He is a part of the team, on a daily basis.  His NFL experience may be over next year.  Who knows.  There are going to be a ton of people down there anyway, and there are reasonable precautions that can be taken here.

Let him go down there with the restrictions I outlined.  Obviously, you can't let everyone down there with this approach ,or we'll have 70,000 people in the stadium.  Like I wrote originally, you need to draw a line somewhere, and it seems reasonable to me that Feliciano be allowed inside the line.  I would draw it right around where he is, though.  

Anyone more tangentially related to the game process not allowed.

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Come on man.  Now you're arguing for the exercise of it.

He doesn't have to go to the corner.  Think about his beef here.  He wants to be "down there" (somewhere) "with his guys" as a show of support and so he feels like a part of the team.  He is a part of the team, on a daily basis.  His NFL experience may be over next year.  Who knows.  There are going to be a ton of people down there anyway, and there are reasonable precautions that can be taken here.

Let him go down there with the restrictions I outlined.  Obviously, you can't let everyone down there with this approach ,or we'll have 70,000 people in the stadium.  Like I wrote originally, you need to draw a line somewhere, and it seems reasonable to me that Feliciano be allowed inside the line.  I would draw it right around where he is, though.  

Anyone more tangentially related to the game process not allowed.

I say “In the corner” a bit in jest - but to stay 6ft from everyone consistently, it’s not a terrible characterization honestly. You’ve seen an nfl sideline, especially during national broadcasts? They are crowded and constantly buzzing. To follow your rule he’d have to be off on the side. 

and plenty of locales, especially major urban centers, are still in phases with non essential personnel being asked to work from home. A player ineligible to play seems to fit that. 

I get we like mongo, but I don’t think you’d be posting this for the Broncos 9th WR on the practice squad that lands on IR and wanted to hang out on the sideline. 

I wouldn’t be screaming about it being wrong if the nfl allowed the guys either honestly. They have a tough calculation to make, and this seems like an easy spot to tighten the policy this year. Such is life this year, you roll with it.

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Help the team how?  Yelling and stuff?

Non-issue here...

but from a distance and masked. 

maybe they could sneak him in as the mascot?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

We live in a land of hypocrisy. It’s really mind blowing 

Do you mean all the arm chair SJW's who tell you what a piece of crap you are for anything you say, even if it is unifying, while they constantly discredit anybody who talks about unity with mindless witicisms like "OK Karen" and "but BLM more than everybody being equal" ???

Or are we talking about Dr's who fear monger with the next greatest "pandemic" and push pharmaceuticals which DON'T EVER CURE disease while distracting you from being able to heal yourself from ANY disease for free??? 

Or are we talking about society in general that has a "if I do it I'm right, if you do it you're wrong" mentality??? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This rule is in line with all of their other rules designed to limit people on the sidelines to essential personnel only. There are no mascots, reporters, entertainers, cheerleaders, etc. allowed on the sideline. A player on IR is not essential. Testing negative is irrelevant and not part of the logic behind the move.

15 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Or are we talking about Dr's who fear monger with the next greatest "pandemic" and push pharmaceuticals which DON'T EVER CURE disease while distracting you from being able to heal yourself from ANY disease for free??? 

You're in deep on that Essential Oil game, eh?

17 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Do you mean all the arm chair SJW's who tell you what a piece of crap you are for anything you say, even if it is unifying, while they constantly discredit anybody who talks about unity with mindless witicisms like "OK Karen" and "but BLM more than everybody being equal" ???

Or are we talking about society in general that has a "if I do it I'm right, if you do it you're wrong" mentality??? 

I’m referring to SO many things but yes, those are some good examples 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

This rule is in line with all of their other rules designed to limit people on the sidelines to essential personnel only. There are no mascots, reporters, entertainers, cheerleaders, etc. allowed on the sideline. A player on IR is not essential. Testing negative is irrelevant and not part of the logic behind the move.

C'mon now, essential oils never cured anything ever either.... Nor have vitamins or minerals or supplements....see where I'm going? 

But they do help temporarily with moods which are regulated by your Endocrine Glands, most of them smell great and are fun to make. 

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

I’m referring to SO many things but yes, those are some good examples 

So basically we're ****ed:w00t:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

2 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Yes

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Not that you were replying to me, but you realize that our healthcare and pharmaceutical system is not designed to cure but to mask symptoms, right? They want people to be on pills for the rest of their lives. Actually curing people is bad for business. You want people just sick enough to need your medication until they die.