Earl Thomas On His Way Out Of Baltimore (Edit: now cut)

H2o

I just looked it up.  He had a heated exchange with Safety Chuck Clark potentially due to a missed assignment by Thomas.  The team sent him home.  He also had a similar thing with Nose Tackle,  Brandon Williams after the Cleveland game.

Crazy as the Ravens gave him a four year $55 mil. contract in the Spring of 2019.

8 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I just looked it up.  He had a heated exchange with Safety Chuck Clark potentially due to a missed assignment by Thomas.  The team sent him home.  He also had a similar thing with Nose Tackle,  Brandon Williams after the Cleveland game.

Crazy as the Ravens gave him a four year $55 mil. contract in the Spring of 2019.

Who could’ve guessed that the guy who flipped Seattle fans the bird after getting injured two seasons ago would cause a problem on a new team?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

From the story it seems they have an out if he is let go for conduct detrimental to the team. Probably a stipulation thrown in after his Seattle fiasco. 

19 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Yup and apparently Ravens team leaders want him gone. He was told to stay home today as well. Interesting. 

24 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This is the type of guy the Pats would be all

over. Watch him get cut and become a pain in our ass twice a year.

Yep! He will join them and speak glowingly about the patriot way and how he loves it their, especially the perks of being on the Lolita Express 2, I mean Krafts jet! 

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, njbuff said:

He comes off as another one of these man child's out there.

I think Pete Carroll's true genius as coach was that he could maintain a winning culture with egos like Richard Sherman and Beast-Mode.  I didn't realiize Thomas was one, too, but it just emphasizes the point.  

• Like (+1) 4

48 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This is the type of guy the Pats would be all

over. Watch him get cut and become a pain in our ass twice a year.

I have a feeling with Brady gone and the pats likely not being as dominant, those

malcontents that they collect aren’t going to be so easy to control. Lose a few games and watch out...

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think Pete Carroll's true genius as coach was that he could maintain a winning culture with egos like Richard Sherman and Beast-Mode.  I didn't realiize Thomas was one, too, but it just emphasizes the point.  

For a time...eventually it became too much to manage and imploded and they rebelled against him.

11 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I have a feeling with Brady gone and the pats likely not being as dominant, those

malcontents that they collect aren’t going to be so easy to control. Lose a few games and watch out...

Which ones?

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

NFL network described the exchange as a fight with Chuck Clark.  In any event for the team to send him home, it must have been bad.  Sending a guy home doesn't happen often.

48 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

To anyone saying Earl lost a step hasn't watched him play.  

It'd be like us losing Hyde, minus the attitude issues. 

I haven't watch him play so actually don't know, but I'd be interested in just the 2019 ranking, not the composite of the last 5 years.  There's no question is was one of the best during his Seattle years but that's in the rear view mirror now.

He's only 31 so I assume he's still a top player, but he's been involved in a lot of collisions so his decline might not be slow and graceful.

• Like (+1) 1

Thomas is away from the team after getting in a fight with teammate Chuck Clark. 

CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora reports the Ravens Leadership Council "made it clear" they would prefer Earl Thomas not be around.

TMZ is reporting that the Ravens safety had a gun held to his head by his wife after she caught him cheating in an incident last month.May 7, 2020

Baltimore has a conduct detrimental clause that allows them to release Thomas without paying the rest of his guarantees. They could also fine him.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/11679/earl-thomas

5 minutes ago, ALF said:

Thomas is away from the team after getting in a fight with teammate Chuck Clark. 

CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora reports the Ravens Leadership Council "made it clear" they would prefer Earl Thomas not be around.

TMZ is reporting that the Ravens safety had a gun held to his head by his wife after she caught him cheating in an incident last month.May 7, 2020

Baltimore has a conduct detrimental clause that allows them to release Thomas without paying the rest of his guarantees. They could also fine him.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/11679/earl-thomas

Fighting with a teammate in camp is now "conduct detrimental"?

Good luck with that, "Ravens Leadership Council"

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

McDermott started a leadership council here in Buffalo and one of the reason for the culture change and success on the field. If the vets in B’more, a perennial contender, say Thomas has to go, he’s gone

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

McDermott started a leadership council here in Buffalo and one of the reason for the culture change and success on the field. If the vets in B’more, a perennial contender, say Thomas has to go, he’s gone

Exactly.

And I'd be willing to bet he has displayed being a douche during his time in B'more long before this fight.

The Ravens will be just fine without him.

Edited by Beast

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I was wondering the same thing Weo.  If they threw out everyone who fought, there would be 100 guys gone from the league.  I doubt they want to permanently lose an asset like Thomas.  He’ll probably get a hefty fine and move on.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

The Council isn't paying him.

3 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

for real? There have been a ton of guys over the years that the patriots Have signed that are your problem guys (character, effort, bad attitude,  etc). 

You said if they start losing the problem guys on that roster will be hard to control.

Who are they?

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Council isn't paying him.

You said if they start losing the problem guys on that roster will be hard to control.

Who are they?

I don’t know. I didn’t say they currently had any. I guess my point was Earl Thomas would be one if they sign him, and he may not be as easy to get in line as the problem guys they have brought in in the past who they were able to control through their culture of winning. Guys like Albert Haynesworth, Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, Antonio Brown, Corey Dillon, Josh Gordon, Aliq Talib, etc. 

4 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I don’t know. I didn’t say they currently had any. I guess my point was Earl Thomas would be one if they sign him, and he may not be as easy to get in line as the problem guys they have brought in in the past who they were able to control through their culture of winning. Guys like Albert Haynesworth, Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, Antonio Brown, Corey Dillon, Josh Gordon, Aliq Talib, etc. 

That's a handful of guys over 20 years.  Not really different than anywhere else.

AB had a cup of coffee in NE.  He didn't experience "their culture of winning".   

Moss was a superstar "winner" in Minny.  His main problem there was "fake mooning" during a TD celebration (can you imagine a player like him getting traded after that today)? 

Haynesworth's money controlled his actions.  NE's "culture of winning" did nothing for him--zero impact.  He didn't last a season.

Corey Dillon was a superstar in Cincy until he got injured and then traded.  He left that franchise as it's all-time leading rusher.  His "problem" with that team was that he publicly stated the obvious--that the Bengals would never win a championship with the Brown family as owners.  

Chad Johnson likewise was a superstar in Cincy.  Goofball, yes.   In NE, he was a dud.  They dumped him after a season.  Not much "culture of winning" for him.

Josh Gordon is an addict that NE's "culture of winning" had no impact on.  They gave him a chance, but it didn't work for him.

Winning is good for all players.  But, as above, their culture of winning didn't have much influence or "control" on those arriving veterans....

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

The fights are most likely not isolated events. If teammates want him gone there are more incidents, whatever they might be, that haven’t gotten out. This latest thing was the last straw for them.

3 minutes ago, purple haze said:

The fights are most likely not isolated events. If teammates want him gone there are more incidents, whatever they might be, that haven’t gotten out. This latest thing was the last straw for them.

I agree, fights among teammeats in camp are commonplace..Thomas  is a prototypical doosh.. IMHO.. 

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

He flipped off the Seahawks management not the fans 

Appearances my friend. It was done as he was carted off the field and he may have directed it towards management, but there were about 10,000 fans in that direction. 

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's a handful of guys over 20 years.  Not really different than anywhere else.

AB had a cup of coffee in NE.  He didn't experience "their culture of winning".   

Moss was a superstar "winner" in Minny.  His main problem there was "fake mooning" during a TD celebration (can you imagine a player like him getting traded after that today)? 

Haynesworth's money controlled his actions.  NE's "culture of winning" did nothing for him--zero impact.  He didn't last a season.

Corey Dillon was a superstar in Cincy until he got injured and then traded.  He left that franchise as it's all-time leading rusher.  His "problem" with that team was that he publicly stated the obvious--that the Bengals would never win a championship with the Brown family as owners.  

Chad Johnson likewise was a superstar in Cincy.  Goofball, yes.   In NE, he was a dud.  They dumped him after a season.  Not much "culture of winning" for him.

Josh Gordon is an addict that NE's "culture of winning" had no impact on.  They gave him a chance, but it didn't work for him.

Winning is good for all players.  But, as above, their culture of winning didn't have much influence or "control" on those arriving veterans....

the above is pretty much a collection of some of the biggest troublemakers over the last 20 years! I just think when you have the pats culture plus the vet leadership there and track record of winning, it prevents any of those guys (or any other troublemaker) from getting out of hand.

plus, in the past, the pats didn’t need any of those guys. They had a super bowl team; they could roll the dice and take a risk and then cut a guy after a game if they wanted (AB).

I think the dynamic there would be much different now. In fact, I will be curious to see even how Cam does there, as he can be a little weird sometimes. 

56 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Appearances my friend. It was done as he was carted off the field and he may have directed it towards management, but there were about 10,000 fans in that direction. 

Anyone who was paying attention to the nfl and his on going contract dispute knew where it was directed my friend.  There was no question friend 

3 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Anyone who was paying attention to the nfl and his on going contract dispute knew where it was directed my friend.  There was no question friend 

Sorry to have offended your sensitive sensibilities by saying the word “friend”. I guess that, by the tone of your response, you don’t get called that much? Regardless, as someone who follows not just the NFL, but the Seahawks, intensely, I am well aware of what the Fanbase saw and how it was taken. That was a giant middle finger to a bunch of people who are very loyal to that player and it was seen as very offensive by the Seattle Seahawks 12th Man

4 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Who could’ve guessed that the guy who flipped Seattle fans the bird after getting injured two seasons ago would cause a problem on a new team?

Are you expecting Vernon Butler to be a problem then? He flipped off Panthers fans for getting on his back.

15 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Sorry to have offended your sensitive sensibilities by saying the word “friend”. I guess that, by the tone of your response, you don’t get called that much? Regardless, as someone who follows not just the NFL, but the Seahawks, intensely, I am well aware of what the Fanbase saw and how it was taken. That was a giant middle finger to a bunch of people who are very loyal to that player and it was seen as very offensive by the Seattle Seahawks 12th Man

Not sensitive at all.   How ironic.  I am sure there are some sensitive fans who got their panties in a bunch over it.  But most sensible/knowledgeable fans understood what that was about.