Bills only AFCE Team not to request back to back west coast games

When I traveled to the west coast going that way was much easier than coming home. Pushing my schedule back 3 hours was simply going to bed a little later one night,coming back was 3 days of moving the bed time an hour each day. So for Bills going West each time is not as bad.

14 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I heard Beane on OBL (I think it was) say that the analytics show it's better to go home and back. Interesting that the Bills' assessment differs from other teams.

Must be something about them feeling that maintaining the “normal” weekly plan as close as possible is important. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

When I traveled to the west coast going that way was much easier than coming home. Pushing my schedule back 3 hours was simply going to bed a little later one night,coming back was 3 days of moving the bed time an hour each day. So for Bills going West each time is not as bad.

I commuted coast to coast for a few months and it wasn't that hard.  I'd much rather fly twice than have to spend the week in a hotel away from home.

• Like (+1) 5

I think its better to come home so hurt/ injured players can receive treatment.

I also think sleeping in your own bed for a week is better than sleeping in a hotel room.

I travelled a lot on business trips in the 80's and 90's and couldn't wait to get home to sleep in my own bed.

Like Buffalo Timmy said going East to West is a lot easier to adjust to. 

• Like (+1) 3

I think the decision was directly tied to our multi-million dollar training facility to help the players recover and receive treatment.  Ten to 14 days without access to your state of the art treatment facilities could put you in a huge hole for the rest of the season.  Makes perfect sense to me.

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I heard Beane on OBL (I think it was) say that the analytics show it's better to go home and back. Interesting that the Bills' assessment differs from other teams.

Our boys playing 3D chess, the rest playing checkers.

• Like (+1) 1

I didn’t quite understand it, but if Beane did the math, I trust him on going back and forth.  It’s not like they are flying commercial or have a stop.  They also don’t necessarily have red eye flights which for me is the worst with corporate travel.  My home office and was in Mgmt for years was in CA for two companies.  Bottom line is I can’t sleep on planes so I’m worthless the next day.  If you’re on a private jet, non stop, a five hour flight at most, and in you’re own bed makes sense to me.  Staying in a hotel for over a week sucks not to mention, most players feel like they were in car crash each week so that makes it worse.

14 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I mean - you're there for a few days - i don't see the need to stay there for 2 weeks to play in vegas and then in arizona.  

Vegas is a 6 hour flight, and I probably want to travel on friday - do my walk through early saturday and then lock them in their rooms lol.  Catch a late flight home sunday night and take monday off.  Back at it on Tuesday.  

Seth Walder ESPN Analytics 

Each AFC team's schedule broken down by: total miles traveled, net rest differential relative to their opponents, and how many back to back road games they have.

bd99cf92-6e63-4cee-9109-a0f21e5e7a31.jpe

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/34587/buffalo-bills-schedule-2020-young-team-will-be-tested-in-prime-time

^   Buffalo Bills' schedule 2020: Young team will be tested in prime time  

On 5/11/2020 at 8:19 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

In baseball all they always are off even they travrl 3 time zones from west to east because of body clock being out of whack for games.

since football isn’t a night game traveling is easier where you can keep your team on the same body clock  there would be problems if east coast games started at 9am or west coast games at 10pm locally.

Rams are apparently a little irritated by one part of the Patriots' 2020 schedule

In Week 13, the Patriots will be traveling to Los Angeles to face the Chargers, which means they won't have to travel anywhere to face the Rams, because they'll already be in Los Angeles. On the other hand, the Rams have to travel to Arizona in Week 14, which means they have to get on a plane on Sunday night, which is something the Patriots won't have to do. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rams-are-apparently-a-little-irritated-by-one-part-of-the-patriots-2020-schedule/

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/13/2020 at 8:58 AM, papazoid said:

Rams are apparently a little irritated by one part of the Patriots' 2020 schedule

In Week 13, the Patriots will be traveling to Los Angeles to face the Chargers, which means they won't have to travel anywhere to face the Rams, because they'll already be in Los Angeles. On the other hand, the Rams have to travel to Arizona in Week 14, which means they have to get on a plane on Sunday night, which is something the Patriots won't have to do. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rams-are-apparently-a-little-irritated-by-one-part-of-the-patriots-2020-schedule/

Wow, what a whiny "B"  McVay is.  To clarify, the Rams play the Cards week 13 (12/6) and have to suffer the 90 minute flight home Sunday night to LA then square off with the Pats on 12/10.

WRT west coast games, I'm of the mind that ya fly there Saturday, try to keep your EST bedtime, play, then fly back probably Monday morning.   Though I don't suffer jet lag much on the times I've flown West so I'm not a good judge of what's best.

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

Wow, what a whiny "B"  McVay is.  To clarify, the Rams play the Cards week 13 (12/6) and have to suffer the 90 minute flight home Sunday night to LA then square off with the Pats on 12/10.

He is not whiny - He is the "T*m Br*dy" brandy of competitiveness I have been told.

And with airport checks, etc it is probably as fast to drive.  I have driven it from game before.

18 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He is not whiny - He is the "T*m Br*dy" brandy of competitiveness I have been told.

And with airport checks, etc it is probably as fast to drive.  I have driven it from game before.

Its less than a one hour flight, and an NFL charter, which is quite different.

Driving it, compared to what they do, is not comparable.

2 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

WRT west coast games, I'm of the mind that ya fly there Saturday, try to keep your EST bedtime, play, then fly back probably Monday morning.   Though I don't suffer jet lag much on the times I've flown West so I'm not a good judge of what's best.

They don't fly back Monday.

They fly about 2.5 to 3 hours after the end of the game.

Edited by sherpa

On 5/12/2020 at 8:47 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Seth Walder ESPN Analytics 

Each AFC team's schedule broken down by: total miles traveled, net rest differential relative to their opponents, and how many back to back road games they have.

bd99cf92-6e63-4cee-9109-a0f21e5e7a31.jpe

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/34587/buffalo-bills-schedule-2020-young-team-will-be-tested-in-prime-time

^   Buffalo Bills' schedule 2020: Young team will be tested in prime time  

I think this has as much to do with the analytics on what is better for those individual games as it does for ensuring you get a more likely chance at as nice a schedule as possible.

Not being difficult with specific needs makes it a heck of a lot more likely that you get fewer teams coming off byes, etc. Their goal is to balance all that stuff out when they build the schedule...start adding stipulations and it's such a complicated thing that you start having to play multiple teams off byes potentially to accomodate the other stuff...i mean that's an assumption, but I'll stand by it big time.