Pandemics are boring

Honestly, my wife and I are largely introverts, so staying at home and keeping to ourselves is just natural. Evenings in the yard with booze and a book as my cats wander around. Always try to read a fiction and nonfiction book alternating as I get bored due to my ADD.

And while Hawaii has a "shelter in place" order, essential activities like grocery shopping and exercise are allowed as long as Social Distancing (inevitably the "word of the year" for 2020) is maintained.

Well, my exercise is surfing and even though they've closed beaches so it's a little more difficult to get to the water, you're still allowed to surf so long as you maintain that 6 feet.

Surfed all by myself today. Social Distancing was easy.

Trying to help the Kupuna and students who need to eat in the process.

Thought I would really watch a lot of Netflix and Amazon Prime during this time, but I've been pretty busy.

Part of the fortunate few and I'm extremely grateful for that.

How many of you are literally quarantining yourselves to your house?

Edited by transplantbillsfan

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Honestly, my wife and I are largely introverts, so staying at home and keeping to ourselves is just natural. Evenings in the yard with booze and a book as my cats wander around. Always try to read a fiction and nonfiction book alternating as I get bored due to my ADD.

And while Hawaii has a "shelter in place" order, essential activities like grocery shopping and exercise are allowed as long as Social Distancing (inevitably the "word of the year" for 2020) is maintained.

Well, my exercise is surfing and even though they've closed beaches so it's a little more difficult to get to the water, you're still allowed to surf so long as you maintain that 6 feet.

Surfed all by myself today. Social Distancing was easy.

Trying to help the Kupuna and students who need to eat in the process.

Thought I would really watch a lot of Netflix and Amazon Prime during this time, but I've been pretty busy.

Part of the fortunate few and I'm extremely grateful for that.

How many of you are literally quarantining yourselves to your house?

If I lived in Hawaii, I would be doing the same thing as you! Surfing everyday sounds awesome! 

I think as the weather gets better for us poor schlubs in the northeast, we will hopefully be getting out more and less stir crazy. 

12 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Took video games back up...

dusted off the old Xbox 

Yeah I’m playing a few games that I’ve been wanting to play for a while now but just didn’t have the time. Had a couple I bought a while ago, and plan to get a couple more off the Xbox store. 

Do you have an Xbox one? Or is it the older 360?

Let me know if you want any game recommendations (and what type of games you like best).

On 3/22/2020 at 1:34 PM, WhoTom said:

Maybe celebrity cameos on Batman will entertain you:

This really took me back, in the best possible way.

It's also nice to think about a time in life when we called that team in New England the Patsies.

Bought  Scrabble for our 7 year old grandson.

THe scrabble junior version looked too young, so we

got the regular version.

He loved it.

The board is on a "lazy Susan" so it can rotate on the table.

Pretty cool.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah I’m playing a few games that I’ve been wanting to play for a while now but just didn’t have the time. Had a couple I bought a while ago, and plan to get a couple more off the Xbox store. 

Do you have an Xbox one? Or is it the older 360?

Let me know if you want any game recommendations (and what type of games you like best).

xbox one. I was gifted it three(?) years ago, took it out of the box and played it a handful of times. 

I recently took up Call of Duty War Zone. The free beta version is a download that allows for online battle royale mode.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

xbox one. I was gifted it three(?) years ago, took it out of the box and played it a handful of times. 

I recently took up Call of Duty War Zone. The free beta version is a download that allows for online battle royale mode.

Xbox has this deal going where you can convert an Xbox gold membership to Xbox ultimate for free (or $1). 

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/gold/upgrade

You can convert up to 3 years worth of Xbox gold. You can only buy a 1 year subscription from the game store, so if you want to do all 3 years you have to buy 2 more 1yr subscriptions from amazon (you get an instant code, then just add both to your Xbox account). 

1 year of Xbox gold is about 1/3 the price of 1 year of Xbox ultimate so it’s a good deal.

Game pass has a bunch of games (at least 100-200 at any given time, with some big name titles (NBA 2020, Witcher 3, Grand Theft Auto 5 (best game ever!), they even have some of the PlayStation yakuza series up right now). I’m definitely enjoying it, and for what averages out to $4.99 a month it’s worth it for me, especially right now.

You can only do that $1 deal once though. So if you want to do it and get the most for your money just make sure you add your Xbox gold subscription first.

• Like (+1) 2

My early morning walks have turned into early morning runs. Got up to 8k covered this morning through the deserted streets of my beautiful city. 

I’m determined to make some good out of this bad situation. 

Anybody have a PS4? My son does and I’m starting to play a few games on there to pass the time. FIFA 20, Madden 20 and The Golf Club 2019. 

I’m not very good at them. Especially FIFA and Madden but can be competitive on TGC. If anyone fancies a trans-Atlantic game give me a shout. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BritBill said:

My early morning walks have turned into early morning runs. Got up to 8k covered this morning through the deserted streets of my beautiful city. 

I’m determined to make some good out of this bad situation. 

Anybody have a PS4? My son does and I’m starting to play a few games on there to pass the time. FIFA 20, Madden 20 and The Golf Club 2019. 

I’m not very good at them. Especially FIFA and Madden but can be competitive on TGC. If anyone fancies a trans-Atlantic game give me a shout. 

Bravo. If I ran 8k I would be coughing and spluttering so much I'd be rushed to the ICU !

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

She has a ring on and so do I which makes me a little sad. She seems like a nice lady.

She’s actually a teacher who is a friend of our friend.... also a teacher....and like minded on fractions.  ?

On 3/18/2020 at 7:15 PM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

It’s been a few days of self-quarantine since traveling abroad. My wife and I have no symptoms and did not travel to a country of concern. That being said, we decided that we’d self quarantine (no work, no stores, nothing) to be safe about the possible transmission of COVID19 in the event we may have it. 

so far we’ve used instacart for groceries, and have enjoyed the dogs, Netflix, a jigsaw puzzle, cleaning/organizing, etc. 

I can’t keep this up for 5 more weeks. What do you guys do at home to pass the time?! 

Pandemics are Boring

I, myself, am a certified All-Pro Couch Potato. Drafted out of Lazy State University in the first round of '82, destined for the Couch of Fame when I hang 'em up. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Augie said:

I could possibly be a math tutor for homeschool kids? 

Math teachers shouldn't consume alcohol. It's not safe to drink and derive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

A good friend of mine works in maintenance  at St. Joe's hospital in Cheektowaga (converted to amCoV-ID19  facility last week). He's retiring May1. Already had it scheduled  before all this. I think he's burning off his sick days and vacation.

Edited by Wacka

I ran 12km this morning. Took me a bit longer than the 1 hour Boris has given us but what can you do? 

On a rather strange and disgusting note, I ran by some chancer ***** on someone’s driveway. 

We’re living in very strange times. 

On 3/18/2020 at 4:45 PM, Blokestradamus said:

Maybe I'm completely weird but I've got really into videos of haircuts. I started off just looking for ideas of what to do with my hippie hair but it's oddly satisfying.

I started watching planes landing in strong crosswinds, which led to the Jet Blast Challenge in St Maarten, where tourists line up at the chain link fence behind where jetliners rev up to take off!

Plenty of crazy stuff on youtube - Russian dashcams, BattleBots, and many many more!

11 hours ago, Wacka said:

A good friend of mine works in maintenance  at St. Joe's hospital in Cheektowaga (converted to amCoV-ID19  facility last week). He's retiring May1. Already had it scheduled  before all this. I think he's burning off his sick days and vacation.

Good ole sloppy joes. Surprised your friend wasn’t accidentally operated on working in that joke of a hospital. 

They almost killed my friends mom with their incompetence about a month ago. NEVER GO TO THAT HOSPITAL FOR ANY REASON. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

3 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Good ole sloppy joes. Surprised your friend wasn’t accidentally operated on working in that joke of a hospital. 

They almost killed my friends mom with their incompetence about a month ago. NEVER GO TO THAT HOSPITAL FOR ANY REASON. 

He knows better. He had prostate cancer aa little over a year ago.  No symptoms except an elevated PSA. Went to Roswell.  Had the doc that teaches all the other docs in this part of the state to do the robotic surgery.He's fine now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/31/2020 at 10:07 AM, Poleshifter said:

I started watching planes landing in strong crosswinds, which led to the Jet Blast Challenge in St Maarten, where tourists line up at the chain link fence behind where jetliners rev up to take off!

Plenty of crazy stuff on youtube - Russian dashcams, BattleBots, and many many more!

I've watched a few of those Go Pro videos uploaded by pilots. As someone that loves a process and instructions to follow, it's bliss watch pre-flight and landing checklists.

For anyone that likes their history, Oversimplified is a great YouTube channel. Especially if you've got kids at home for the time being. Accurate but humourous.

I have Flight Aware loaded on my cell phone, just so I can look up at a plane flying overhead and learn details of the flight.  With a lot of the commercial flights canceled, the app is now showing the smaller planes.  Most don't file a flight plan (only airfield origin), and it seems many are flying inspection routes or logging hours.

I had all my kids sports activities in my calendar and every time a reminder pops up and I have to hit dismiss I get more pissed. Just got furloughed for 2 weeks minimum. Got a ton of stuff to do around the house, but I don't want to spend any money.