Pandemics are boring

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 12:21 PM, frostbitmic said:

Working my *** off.

The Governor deemed both of my business' essential,

Like Frosty, the governor declared my place of employment to be an essential manufacturing facility,

so I am at work and am grateful that we are open.  The head guy asked if I could work from home.

I pointed to the lab equipment I use for analytical tasks and he said" I'll see ya each morning."

Mrs. Lew is an administrator at a local hospital.

She gets to enjoy 6 meetings  , every day, as they are trying to plan for whatever may come this way. 

We are both retiring on May 29.

Today is Day 14 since they closed our office and I have been pretty much shut-in with my wife, 15mo old daughter, and 2 dogs.

Even the playgrounds down the street have been taped off. And it's been raining here lately so we can't even go play in the yard.

To top it off, we got the email Friday that the company is extending our mandatory work from home from April 1 to May 1.

2 weeks down, 5 to go...

Being tested in all sorts of new ways over here.

• Sad 1

Books

Gardening

Home maintenance (While other people were panic buying bog rolls I bought paint...)

Netflix

Boardgames (solo if no kids - and never Monopoly!)

Early morning walk before anyone else is around

What I find funny about this whole being stuck at home thing is how bored people really are. The reason I say that is I have noticed the last year or so I see less and less people out at bars and restaurants compared to a few years ago. At least in my area it seemed that way. More and more people are staying in by choice. Now that we have to stay in people are going stir crazy and can't handle it. 

3 hours ago, Brit said:

Books

Gardening

Home maintenance (While other people were panic buying bog rolls I bought paint...)

Netflix

Boardgames (solo if no kids - and never Monopoly!)

Early morning walk before anyone else is around

I’ve been heading out for a walk early each morning too. The weather has been great this week. I love walking around watching streets wake up. 

Cleaned the car this morning. Did some schooling with my son. 

Managed to get some work done each evening. 

My friends and I are having an online poker game on Friday night. PokerStars allow you to set up private poker clubs and organise regular games. 

For anyone with Netflix, check out that new “The Tiger King” series. 

From the Netflix description I didn’t really think that it seemed like my type of show. But I kept hearing people talking about it so I decided to watch an episode.

Its wild. Much better than I thought it would be. I can’t believe it’s a true story. Definitely worth checking out.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/18/2020 at 6:16 PM, teef said:

try doing it with a 2 and a 5 year old.  i'll be in jail soon.

In all seriousness there has been a rise in domestic violence. Sucks that the only thing keeping some men from beating their wives and kids is the fact that they aren't with them for 8+ hours a day.

20 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m so bored, I’m ready to start touching my face. I have even considered going to the grocery store and start touching other people’s faces! THAT should end the boredom! 

Being quarantined in the hospital is probably very boring as well.

• Sad 1

This social distancing is pretty weird. I saw this guy wearing a jim Kelly jersey walk by and I couldn't really say anything. Then later I saw some guy in a bills hat, but couldn't say anything either-- we were too far to really speak. It stinks— because it’s rare that I get to see Bills’ fans walking around! 

4 hours ago, MJS said:

In all seriousness there has been a rise in domestic violence. Sucks that the only thing keeping some men from beating their wives and kids is the fact that they aren't with them for 8+ hours a day.

Being quarantined in the hospital is probably very boring as well.

I was thinking I might meet some interesting folks in jail, but the hospital would be a real possibility. If not the virus, it could be getting my skull cracked open by some old lady with a cane. Anything to break the boredom.......

14 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

This social distancing is pretty weird. I saw this guy wearing a jim Kelly jersey walk by and I couldn't really say anything. Then later I saw some guy in a bills hat, but couldn't say anything either-- we were too far to really speak. It stinks— because it’s rare that I get to see Bills’ fans walking around! 

Apparently Bills fans are the only people stupid enough to go out? I saw a guy in Bills gear at a (beverage) store, gave him a “Go Bills!” Before I realized I also had a Bills shirt on. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://lifehacker.com/where-to-take-free-online-classes-while-you-re-stuck-at-1842496408

‘Where to take free online classes while you’re stuck at home”

If you want to learn a new language, go to Duolingo. I took french as a kid, and before too long got back to 35% fluent taking the free on line classes last year. (They no longer do it by %, I believe.)  I stopped when I realized I had nobody to speak with.  Far more importantly, before a Mediterranean cruise last fall, I learned enough Spanish to get me to a bathroom in a time of need! ?

We have an Italy to France to Spain cruise planned for 18 months from now. I hope that comes off as planned, and I may spruce up on my french again. Especially how to find a bathroom! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

If you want to learn a new language, go to Duolingo. I took french as a kid, and before too long got back to 35% fluent taking the free on line classes last year. (They no longer do it by %, I believe.)  I stopped when I realized I had nobody to speak with.  Far more importantly, before a Mediterranean cruise last fall, I learned enough Spanish to get me to a bathroom in a time of need! ?

We have an Italy to France to Spain cruise planned for 18 months from now. I hope that comes off as planned, and I may spruce up on my french again. Especially how to find a bathroom! 

Thanks for the suggestion! I was actually thinking of re-learning Spanish. I took it in school and still remember a little bit so I’m hoping that make it easier.

34 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Thanks for the suggestion! I was actually thinking of re-learning Spanish. I took it in school and still remember a little bit so I’m hoping that make it easier.

I haven’t touched it in 6-8 months, but it was free and surprisingly easy to use. I think you’ll be pleased with how quickly it comes back to you. Good luck! It could be a nice distraction. 

EDIT: Also, not free but enjoyable and educational, I joined Masterclass a couple years ago when I saw Thomas Keller (amazing chef, arguably the best in the US) was an instructor. It’s not super expensive, and it’s not just chefs. James Patterson regarding writing a novel, Ron Howard on directing, Steve Martin on comedy, etc. Also photography, dance, you name it.  Pretty cool if you like that kind of thing. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1