Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Because outside of maybe four guys they have a ton of players on rookie contracts and Vernon is already as good as gone.   They aren't structuring contracts, they are creating "space" today they are taking advantage of having a lot of rookie contracts.  And for the players like Vernon and OBJ, they acquired their contracts they didnt "structure them."

Forget it man, youre the expert.  You're right the Cap really isnt a thing.

if they started the day with 90M. Ended Day with 61M. And only signed players tell me how ROOKIE contracts mater. It is the Structure

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

Beane better have some blockbuster trade in the works for Diggs/OBJ/Cooks 

I'm tired of watching Allen throw to guys who can't make NFL catches 

You make me chuckle. Thanks for the quality posts.

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

if they started the day with 90M. Ended Day with 61M. And only signed players tell me how ROOKIE contracts mater. It is the Structure

What I am trying to say is they wouldnt have had 90 million dollars if they didnt have players on rookie contracts.   They weren't thrifty or magical today, they spent 29 million dollars on three guys.  Just agree to disagree.   When the Browns go to resign Garrett, Mayfield, Chubb, Hunt, Beckham or whoever else in two to three years they wont have the same amount of money because they are spending.  In the case of Hooper the money they spent was idiotic. 

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

Beane better have some blockbuster trade in the works for Diggs/OBJ/Cooks 

I'm tired of watching Allen throw to guys who can't make NFL catches 

I guess the offseason is over.

Thanks for playing. Come back next year.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

What am I missing?  Over the cap make it seem like they started with 62 mil cause i dont see any of the new contracts on there.  Also Spotrac has similar with 61M but none of the newer contracts

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/cap//

Also thanks for all your updates.  They have been great.

Edit: Tried playing with the Spotrac tool to build a roster and couldnt add any of their new players so maybe its accurate but not showing current contracts.  However, I thought they usually waited and had things like cap automatically calculated based on inputted contracts which again i dont see for the new players.  Confusing.

Double Edit: Now very sure the 62 mil is wrong.  In overthecap i could sign players to customized deals and i mimicked the deals from today with money spread out evenly and got down to 39 mil.  Dont think that is accurate but i am very confident if spotrac or overthecap is the source of the browns 62 mil then that is an illusion.

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the bills shouldn't over pay for a free agent WR. The draft is so deep with quality wr. I wouldn't mind the Bills making a move to get Robby Anderson. He has made big plays consistently over a 3 year period of time. I think he is ranked 3rd in 30 plus rd receptions. Ant thoughts ?

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I think the bills shouldn't over pay for a free agent WR. The draft is so deep with quality wr. I wouldn't mind the Bills making a move to get Robby Anderson. He has made big plays consistently over a 3 year period of time. I think he is ranked 3rd in 30 plus rd receptions. Ant thoughts ?

If they sign Anderson and Reader I will date Jason Croom after he gets cut. 

• Haha (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, BuffaloBill963 said:

Josh Norman?

I did not include players who were cut and available to sign before FA started since people on here don't seem to be taking those players into consideration. 

Update...

So far there have been 20 signings by 13 teams.  The Bills are 1 of 19 teams to not sign someone. 

The Miami Dolphins have signed the most free agents (4) and committed over $200M to free agents, followed by the Cleveland Browns (3 and $100M). 

• Baltimore Ravens - Michael Brockers, DT
  • Carolina Panthers - Stephen Weatherly, DE
  • Carolina Panthers - Juston Burris, S
  • Chicago Bears - Jimmy Graham, TE
  • Cleveland Browns - Case Keenum, QB
  • Cleveland Browns - Austin Hooper, TE
  • Cleveland Browns - Jack Conklin, OT
  • Denver Broncos - Graham Glasgow, G
  • Detroit Lions - Halapoulivaati Vaitai, OT
  • Houston Texans - Eric Murray, S
  • Miami Dolphins - Ereck Flowers, OT
  • Miami Dolphins - Shaq Lawson, DE
  • Miami Dolphins - Kyle Van Noy, LB
  • Miami Dolphins - Byron Jones, CB
  • Miami Dolphins - Clayton Fejedelem, S
  • New York Giants - James Bradberry, CB
  • New York Jets - George Fant, OT
  • Oakland Raiders - Nick Kwiatowski, LB
  • Philadelphia Eagles - Javon Hargrave, DT
  • Washington Redskins - Wes Schweitzer, G

Maybe a stupid question, but why can't we re sign Jordan Phillips? Shaq is gone so we're not paying him. I know he'll(Phillips) want alot of money, but seems like we could pay him fair and keep him. Haven't heard of any other teams having interest, yet

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Maybe a stupid question, but why can't we re sign Jordan Phillips? Shaq is gone so we're not paying him. I know he'll(Phillips) want alot of money, but seems like we could pay him fair and keep him. Haven't heard of any other teams having interest, yet

I think they still could.  They most likely want to wait a few days and see what the market is then.  Every day they wait the money goes down.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Who says we won't? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Steptide said:

they very well could. But may be more concerned with trying to upgrade with Reader right now. 

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

He could value himself at X while the Bills value him at Y, and since neither side seems willing to budge at this point, then Phillips is testing the FA waters to see what other teams are willing to pay him.

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

It’s possible we still could. Seems Phillips and his agent priced themselves out of what Beane feels is fair.

The two parties may still circle back to each other at some point.

9 minutes ago, Steptide said:

We can, it's just going to have to be a fair contract yet Jordan maybe looking to cash in.

30 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

I did not include players who were cut and available to sign before FA started since people on here don't seem to be taking those players into consideration. 

Update...

So far there have been 20 signings by 13 teams.  The Bills are 1 of 19 teams to not sign someone. 

The Miami Dolphins have signed the most free agents (4) and committed over $200M to free agents, followed by the Cleveland Browns (3 and $100M). 

• Baltimore Ravens - Michael Brockers, DT
  • Carolina Panthers - Stephen Weatherly, DE
  • Carolina Panthers - Juston Burris, S
  • Chicago Bears - Jimmy Graham, TE
  • Cleveland Browns - Case Keenum, QB
  • Cleveland Browns - Austin Hooper, TE
  • Cleveland Browns - Jack Conklin, OT
  • Denver Broncos - Graham Glasgow, G
  • Detroit Lions - Halapoulivaati Vaitai, OT
  • Houston Texans - Eric Murray, S
  • Miami Dolphins - Ereck Flowers, OT
  • Miami Dolphins - Shaq Lawson, DE
  • Miami Dolphins - Kyle Van Noy, LB
  • Miami Dolphins - Byron Jones, CB
  • Miami Dolphins - Clayton Fejedelem, S
  • New York Giants - James Bradberry, CB
  • New York Jets - George Fant, OT
  • Oakland Raiders - Nick Kwiatowski, LB
  • Philadelphia Eagles - Javon Hargrave, DT
  • Washington Redskins - Wes Schweitzer, G

I like that the Bills aren't reaching and over paying for free agents. I'm one of the biggest skeptics out there. However, my thinking had changed over the years. Beane and McDermott have been really solid in there rebuilding of this team. Their prior experience in Carolina really shows. I'm willing to trust their moves. They have earned that right in my mind.

17 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

image.thumb.png.b15fe9b31bcc5fa9c3fe83f092f8d852.png

that doesn't make it better, both contracts are terrible

Is he an upgrade to Carr? I think the game may have passed Gruden. I'm a big Mayock fan though. Seems like a questionable and risky move.

• Like (+1) 2