Free Agency News and Updates - around the league

YoloinOhio
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Take the Covid19 discussion to one of the several appropriate threads dedicated to it.

I'm about to spend some time I could put to better use cleaning up the thread.

If you can't restrain yourself I will restrain you.

1 hour ago, Watkins101 said:

This graph isn't about the past. It's about how much teams have improved or gotten worse. If anything, that points to the graph being more accurate, as non-playoff teams tend to have more money to spend.

It looks like analytics but is based on their opinions and their ratings of the players and team needs.  What it is is not scientific.

Updated...

So far there have been 12 signings by 7 teams.  The Bills are 1 of 24 teams to not sign someone. 

Cleveland Browns - Case Keenum, QB

Cleveland Browns - Austin Hooper, TE

Cleveland Browns - Jack Conklin, OT

Denver Broncos - Graham Glasgow, G

Detroit Lions - Halapoulivaati Vaitai, OT

Miami Dolphins - Ereck Flowers, OT

Miami Dolphins - Shaq Lawson, DE

Miami Dolphins - Byron Jones, CB

Miami Dolphins - Clayton Fejedelem, S

New York Giants - James Bradberry, CB

Oakland Raiders - Nick Kwiatowski, LB

Washington Redskins - Wes Schweitzer, G

Edited by junior12thman92
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Interesting, if he gets picked up he could help our comp formula and he was gonna struggle making this roster.

That or we're close to acquiring someone that can play his role and is better so letting him find a chance to find a job.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Oh Jesus. Can we stop with the comp pick stuff?

Too positive a subject for ya? :D

@KevinMassare

The Bills now have the most cap space in the NFL, by far.

You know Beane has some moves up he sleeve...

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Until they bring in at least two NFL caliber WRs, I’d argue that McKenzie would make this roster as it is presently constructed.  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that it would be terrible if signs elsewhere, but the cupboard is flat empty ar WR after John Brown and Cole Beasley.  I think they need to draft 2 WRs early, preferably 1 in 1st and 1 in 2nd or 3rd.

Agree they need two but if we use our 2nd and 3rd for WR and sign Amari then we would have 3 WR more and have +1 for comp.  If you dont think about these things as people say then you wont be able to take advantage for a couple offseasons.  I dont think its crazy to think were setting up for it this year (agree still seems unlikely.

Edited by YattaOkasan

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Until they bring in at least two NFL caliber WRs, I’d argue that McKenzie would make this roster as it is presently constructed.  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that it would be terrible if signs elsewhere, but the cupboard is flat empty ar WR after John Brown and Cole Beasley.  I think they need to draft 2 WRs early, preferably 1 in 1st and 1 in 2nd or 3rd.

Doubling up at WR is a waste. I can see one in 1st or 2nd and then no sooner than 5th.

Just now, YattaOkasan said:

Agree they need two but if we use our 2nd and 3rd for WR and sign Amari then we would have 3 WR more and have +1 for comp.  If you dont think about these things as people say then you wont be able to take advantage for a bit.

I don’t think they can wait until 54 to get a WR if they want one who can contribute much this year.

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Doubling up at WR is a waste. I can see one in 1st or 2nd and then no sooner than 5th.

Why is that a waste?  Neither Beasley nor Brown are young.

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

I don’t think they can wait until 54 to get a WR if they want one who can contribute much this year.

Feel like I've seen lots of potential starters (let alone contributors at 54).  Its a deep class and looks to have contributors all over.  Also a 2nd (3rd also) means we could move up with our later picks in that round.  

10 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

If Brady leaves the Pats (which I have doubts about but hoping Tampa will prove me wrong), we have a clear shot at the AFC East title. Dolphins are making wild moves/blowing their cap space and the Jets have no starting caliber O-linemen. 

Cap space is there to spend. No points for accumulating it.

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Why is that a waste?  Neither Beasley nor Brown are young.

Asking a rookie let alone two rookies WR to make an impact a lot especially when have Brown and Beasley ahead of them in depth chart. Yes, it's wise to build depth but we lack depth in other spots besides WR.

3 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Feel like I've seen lots of potential starters (let alone contributors at 54).  Its a deep class and looks to have contributors all over.  Also a 2nd (3rd also) means we could move up with our later picks in that round.  

I know that they are saying that WR is deep this year, but I think it is a little over-stated.  There are some good receivers, but I expect most of the 2nd tier will be gone before 54 - guys like Reagor, Mims, Schenault and Hamler will be gone by then.  Maybe you can get Pittman, Claypool (who I was not that impressed with), Gabe Davis or Antonio Gandy-Golden at 54.

2 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Why? The Redskins got at Terry McLaurin  at #76 last year and he produced great stats and this year many WR grade better than him and likely there at 54.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Heitz said:

Too positive a subject for ya? :D

You know Beane has some moves up he sleeve...

100%. As your quote said, the Bills now have the most cap space left of any team by a huge margin. We are great shape and should be able to get our guys without fear of being outbid. Aside from a couple deals (Hooper, Lawson, and Keenum who I would have been interested in but definitely got the Day 1 FA overpay), all the guys I was targeting are still there. Keep the faith!

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I know that they are saying that WR is deep this year, but I think it is a little over-stated.  There are some good receivers, but I expect most of the 2nd tier will be gone before 54 - guys like Reagor, Mims, Schenault and Hamler will be gone by then.  Maybe you can get Pittman, Claypool (who I was not that impressed with), Gabe Davis or Antonio Gandy-Golden at 54.

See post below.  I think there will be players at 54 for us, and if the FO is concerned theyll move up

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Why? The Redskins got at Terry McLaurin  at #76 last year and he produced great stats and this year many WR grade better than him and likely there at 54.

Was responding to post above.  I think there will be good players at 54. 

I think cutting McKenzie is an ok thing that maybe a genius thing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Damn Weatherly is genuinely the first guy I'm disappointed we didn't sign. He's young, signed for reasonable money, and looked great whenever he got a chance to play which wasn't a lot being behind two Pro Bowlers. Carolina did well on this one.

On the plus side, we'll definitely be signing him in 2 years when this contract is up! ?

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Normally at this point of free agency I’m like “man I can’t believe the Bills didn’t sign ____ for _____!!” Honestly the only thing today I would’ve done is that Nuk trade.

Yep Same. So far anyway

Edited by MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

100%. As your quote said, the Bills now have the most cap space left of any team by a huge margin. We are great shape and should be able to get our guys without fear of being outbid. Aside from a couple deals (Hooper, Lawson, and Keenum who I would have been interested in but definitely got the Day 1 FA overpay), all the guys I was targeting are still there. Keep the faith!

Before FA, the 5 teams with the most cap space were:

1. Miami Dolphins
  2. Buffalo Bills
  3. Indianapolis Colts
  4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  5. Cleveland Browns

I could be wrong, but it now looks like the 5 teams with the most cap space are:

1. Buffalo Bills
  2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  3. New York Jets
  4. Los Angeles Chargers
  5. Houston Texans
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Ravens just gonna run a 4 DT line. 

that doesn’t seem like an effective team building model. They better hope Jones isn’t as overrated as he definitely is.

Well that will be Tre Whites Baseline contract 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Cap space is there to spend. No points for accumulating it.

Yeah that's fair, but free agency isn't over yet. In fact, it's barely started. 

And to your point, you don't get points for spending your cap space either. I like a few of the deals signed by other teams today, but other than the Lawson move, I would not be happy with how Miami has spent their money if I was a Dolphins fan. 

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Gandalf

Yeah totally. Harry Potter #1? Psh, that should be Gandalf for sure.

Just now, jkx2 said:

May be the Bills thought the NFL postponed free agency due to the coronavirus. 

Maybe free agency hasn't started yet...