Diggs on the block? Rumor is a 2nd rd pick (year old thread)

BillsMafi$

If you go Diggs then do you still draft WR in 1st? If so, got to be one of the bigger guys. Do you go:

Diggs for 2nd

Draft Edge Epenesa or Chaisson in 1st

Draft WR Gandy-Golden or Pittman in the 3rd/4th

Draft OL, CB, RB, LB and another WR

Sign Yannick, Armstead, Barrett or pass rush help

SIgn Hooper or Henry at TE

Sign Thuney, Costanzo or Conklin

Sign inexpensive RB

Sign weakside LB and CB help

Tre White extension

Cut Murphy and Kroft

Allen

Singletary and RB2 (vet or rookie)

Hooper/Henry and Knox

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Gandy-Golden/Pittman

Dawkins, Morse, Feliciano, Ford, Thuney/Costanzo/Conklin

Yannick and Hughes

Oliver, Star and H Phil

Edmunds, Milano, WLB

White, Johnson Wallace, FA or Rookie CB

Hyde, Poyer

Bills go 12-4 and win AFC East.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Bandit, I see you’re point, but isn’t there merit in not offering too much in a deep WR draft.  That’s the leverage not to do it, and offering two even what someone else said a 4th next year is cheap labor for a team skinny in cap space.

I suppose if you’re confident that you can get an immediate contributor in round 1, then yes, I would consider that leverage.

Personally, no matter how confident I am in my abilities to evaluate prospects, I’m always going for the known quantity when I’m a team looking to compete for a title.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

If you go Diggs then do you still draft WR in 1st? If so, got to be one of the bigger guys. Do you go:

Diggs for 2nd

Draft Edge Epenesa or Chaisson in 1st

Draft WR Gandy-Golden or Pittman in the 3rd/4th

Draft OL, CB, RB, LB and another WR

Sign Yannick, Armstead, Barrett or pass rush help

SIgn Hooper or Henry at TE

Sign Thuney, Costanzo or Conklin

Sign inexpensive RB

Sign weakside LB and CB help

Tre White extension

Cut Murphy and Kroft

Allen

Singletary and RB2 (vet or rookie)

Hooper/Henry and Knox

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Gandy-Golden/Pittman

Dawkins, Morse, Feliciano, Ford, Thuney/Costanzo/Conklin

Yannick and Hughes

Oliver, Star and H Phil

Edmunds, Milano, WLB

White, Johnson Wallace, FA or Rookie CB

Hyde, Poyer

Bills go 12-4 and win AFC East.

I’m all for going all in, but this is just so unrealistic imo.  Signing the best DE, TE and RT would be amazing, but wishful thinking that we get the best of the best FA’s at 3 positions 

If we traded for Diggs, I’d make Clowney my next target if he becomes available. 

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Really good point on the contract!!

Diggs is such a good fit here in that he slides everyone into their natural roles. The receiver room is maybe even a strength (especially after adding a guy in the draft).

How about:

Diggs

Brown

Beasley

Bryan Edwards

Duke

Mckenzie

Roberts

Bryan Edwards is the "body type" WR that would be desirable but I'm not sure what round he goes in or what other big guys are out there.

I'm not a huge college football fan and I leave that up to Beane (and you guys).

Being the draft is deep another WR picked is a must.

Diggs, Brown and Beasley as starters with a big bodied rookie in the wings sounds really good to me!

McKenzie (RFA) is an after thought to me once Diggs would be on the team.  Diggs in the run game is pretty good too.

Roberts is 32 and in the last year of his contract so they could start looking for a punt returner soon to replace him.

Duke will have to fight to make the team once the top 4 are locked. 

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I assume if we trade for Diggs we would have to immeditately re-do his contract and get him some new guaranteed money. Exactly like we did with Shady.

Frankly, this is all VERY similar to the Shady trade, and I'd say the Shady trade worked out pretty well for us. Alonso was a 2nd round pick so similar compensation. The need to re-do Diggs' contract. The type of personality which can be flashy and seen as selfish, but isnt really. The main difference I see is that Diggs is still in his prime where Shady was on the backside of it.

Diggs last year was on the first year of his contract extension.  He got his guaranteed money and is not a UFA until the 2024 season.

Having to redo his contract is an option but I see no need to "have to do it" immediately.

The beauty of this is Diggs is playing on the contract he just signed with 0 dead money to the Bills.

Unless OBD has a real reason not to look at Diggs I see no reason not to get in the mix of the talks.

Cap strapped teams are the ones Beane has to look at for these kind of deals.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Diggs last year was on the first year of his contract extension.  He got his guaranteed money and is not a UFA until the 2024 season.

Having to redo his contract is an option but I see no need to "have to do it" immediately.

The beauty of this is Diggs is playing on the contract he just signed with 0 dead money to the Bills.

Unless OBD has a real reason not to look at Diggs I see no reason not to get in the mix of the talks.

Cap strapped teams are the ones Beane has to look at for these kind of deals.

Good points, and I'm not saying we have to give him a ton more money, but maybe simply shift some of what is already there as Base to Guaranteed so he feels better about playing over the next 4 years.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Wrong.

There are many.

That is why this class of WR’s is considered one  the deepest classes in history.

Are there?   Have you seen any of them play an NFL game or multiple seasons in the NFL?  You are talking projections.  Diggs is not a projection.  He's proven at the NFL level and he's young.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Good points, and I'm not saying we have to give him a ton more money, but maybe simply shift some of what is already there as Base to Guaranteed so he feels better about playing over the next 4 years.

OK, I see your point and that could be an option.  

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Trade our 2nd to Minn for Diggs.

Trade our 5th to TB for Howard or Brate

Draft DE round 1
Draft big WR like Pittman round 3

Draft RB round 4

Sign depth in FA 

Division title - Strong SB contender.

I like this for the most part. I still think we need a tackle upgrade. And I really want Hooper. I'm greedy, I know.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Definitely a 1st. WR1 acquired and under contract for decent money.

Move onto FA.

I agree, I don't think a 2nd would get it done.  Especially since there are 21 teams who have better 2nd round picks than us.  Use our 1st on him and can still take a young receiver in the 3rd or 4th

17 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Are there?   Have you seen any of them play an NFL game or multiple seasons in the NFL?  You are talking projections.  Diggs is not a projection.  He's proven at the NFL level and he's young.

Yeah - guys pretty good.  Averages a little under 1000 yards, 6 TDs and like 70 catches.  Has a catch% of around 68% with assorted QBs like Cousins, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford.  Can play inside and out.  Athletic enough to fill some of that mckenzie role.  

If they did it, Id like to see them still add a young guy to grow into a role here and compete with foster/duke for that 4/5 spot.  Someone like a Tyler Johnson, Brandon Aiyuk type should they slip into round 3.  

37 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Something about Diggs rubs me the wrong way.

I would rather draft 2/3 WR's and role with them at cost-effective rate than deal with a potential problem.

But like I said, wherever the Bills go in terms of Diggs is fine with me.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No, he isn't - he's an ERFA - they have his rights if they want them.  

Ah that's right, I stand corrected. Thanks.

Could be an interesting way to sweeten the pot of our #54 overall offer... Good idea!

Edited by DrDawkinstein

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Would the Vikes sending back their 4th round comp pick help?

Lots of ways to get things done.

I've wanted us to draft a WR in the 1st, but am extremely leery of any of the WRs slated to be available all the way at #22. So a trade for a proven player makes sense to me. Sounds better than having to package other assets in order to move up just to get an unknown rookie WR.

I've also wanted us to dip back into the WR draft pool in the 4th or so, so your proposal would be perfect. Use that 4th on another WR. Get 2 WRs for the #22 pick.

Sounds like a no-brainer.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know.  Diggs is a good player but a lot of these receivers get their big contract then become complete headcases which may or may not be the case with him.  If this Receiver draft class is as good as advertised, I’d rather draft one early than trade a high draft pick for Diggs.  A rookie WR will give you at least 4 good years to get that big contract before they turn crazy.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t know.  Diggs is a good player but a lot of these receivers get their big contract then become complete headcases which may or may not be the case with him.  If this Receiver draft class is as good as advertised, I’d rather draft one early than trade a high draft pick for Diggs.  A rookie WR will give you at least 4 good years to get that big contract before they turn crazy.  

what if they don't produce like Diggs has? We need to stop worrying about money and cap space and get to the Superbowl

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I would rather draft 2/3 WR's and role with them at cost-effective rate than deal with a potential problem.

Curious, where do people get that Diggs is a problem?  Both him and Theilen (a guy people praise) voiced their dislike of the new offense last year, yet only one who gets flack for it is Diggs.  They went from a pass first team to a run first team this season and not a shock that the 2 top end WR's weren't enamored with it.  

I feel like people assume Diggs is a cancer because Minn is considering moving him, but they are grossly overlooking the fact that Minn is in cap hell and has to do something.  And with Cook, having two high cap WR's is more of a luxury than a need.  

I mean if there was ever a time for Minn to trade Diggs, this is the year.  You get back a premium pick in first 2 rounds to use on a WR draft that is the best in years and may be the deepest ever to find a potential replacement without the price tag.

Bills on the other hand, have plenty of cap room for a top end WR contract and would be better off brining in a sure thing for our young team and QB than roll the dice on a draft prospect that may take a couple seasons or longer to fully develop.  

Diggs being available is not an indication he is a problem.  Its an indication their GM is a problem and didn't manage the cap well enough to afford two high end WR's on a team that now has a top end run game where the RB is also a dangerous WR.  Not to mention, a really good vet TE and a very promising TE coming off his rookie season.  

Diggs is a luxury they just cant afford.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Curious, where do people get that Diggs is a problem?  Both him and Theilen (a guy people praise) voiced their dislike of the new offense last year, yet only one who gets flack for it is Diggs.  They went from a pass first team to a run first team this season and not a shock that the 2 top end WR's weren't enamored with it.  

I feel like people assume Diggs is a cancer because Minn is considering moving him, but they are grossly overlooking the fact that Minn is in cap hell and has to do something.  And with Cook, having two high cap WR's is more of a luxury than a need.  

I mean if there was ever a time for Minn to trade Diggs, this is the year.  You get back a premium pick in first 2 rounds to use on a WR draft that is the best in years and may be the deepest ever to find a potential replacement without the price tag.

Bills on the other hand, have plenty of cap room for a top end WR contract and would be better off brining in a sure thing for our young team and QB than roll the dice on a draft prospect that may take a couple seasons or longer to fully develop.  

Diggs being available is not an indication he is a problem.  Its an indication their GM is a problem and didn't manage the cap well enough to afford two high end WR's on a team that now has a top end run game where the RB is also a dangerous WR.  Not to mention, a really good vet TE and a very promising TE coming off his rookie season.  

Diggs is a luxury they just cant afford.  

• Haha (+1) 2

If there was ever a year NOT to mortgage the future on a WR being kicked to the curb by his existing team it is this year. The draft has a ton of WR talent that you can get without any mileage or attitude concerns at a fraction of what Diggs would cost. What good is a draft stocked with WR talent if you are going to waste that opportunity reaching for an overpriced FA?

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

you think the Bills will draft 2-3 WRs and they will all make the team?  

2 minutes ago, Mickey said:

If there was ever a year NOT to mortgage the future on a WR being kicked to the curb by his existing team it is this year. The draft has a ton of WR talent that you can get without any mileage or attitude concerns at a fraction of what Diggs would cost. What good is a draft stocked with WR talent if you are going to waste that opportunity reaching for an overpriced FA?

How is trading a draft pick for a young proven WR mortgaging the future?

3 minutes ago, Mickey said:

1.  His team isnt kicking him to the curb.  They are in a cap hell with another elite WR on the team, 2 good TEs and a run first offense where the RB is also a dangerous receiver.  He is a luxury they can no longer afford.  Thats not kicking someone to the curb, thats bad cap management coming back to bite them.

2.  Why does he have an "attitude concern"?  Because he didn't like the run first offense?  Theilen complained about it too, so why doesnt Theilen get labeled with the same attitude problem?

3.  The fact that the draft IS stocked also makes it possible to poach a top 10 WR from a team who can no longer afford him so they can TRY and replace him with an affordable contract.  

4.  Diggs contract is actually great for his talent level.  Minn has to shed salary, and paying two top end WR's on a team already loaded with other weapons is not a luxury they can afford, especially with how much they run with Cook now.  

5.  We wont be doing anything close to "mortgaging the future" on Diggs, his contract is so easy for our cap situation.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Yeah - guys pretty good.  Averages a little under 1000 yards, 6 TDs and like 70 catches.  Has a catch% of around 68% with assorted QBs like Cousins, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford.  Can play inside and out.  Athletic enough to fill some of that mckenzie role.  

If they did it, Id like to see them still add a young guy to grow into a role here and compete with foster/duke for that 4/5 spot.  Someone like a Tyler Johnson, Brandon Aiyuk type should they slip into round 3.  

Aiyuk, I don't believe, will be there in round 3.  But yeah, Beane should still draft a WR regardless of Free Agency or trades.

34 minutes ago, nucci said:

what if they don't produce like Diggs has? We need to stop worrying about money and cap space and get to the Superbowl

So I actually do agree with this

We have positioned ourselves so that we can actually compete....we need the final pieces...now is the time.

19 minutes ago, Mickey said:

There is no reason why we cant bring in a vet WR AND draft a WR in this draft

Our WR core basically has two starting caliber players.....and a bunch of jags.

Give Josh some weapons to work with for christ sake

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I understand the desire to draft and develop a guy (or guys) they like, and have him on the cheap for 4-5 years. Sounds reasonable to me.

However, I have to agree with the people saying go for it. Unless we know for sure he is a locker room problem (and I don't see evidence he is) then this is an opportunity to add an elite player to the offense which can only help Allen. Having Diggs as the #1 also makes Brown and Beasley better.

I see all the buzz that the draft is loaded with WR talent and I'll defer to the experts. But as stated by others, the draft is still a crapshoot. The guy we get in the first round? We *HOPE* he becomes a Stefon Diggs.

To add a talent like this, who has several years left on a reasonable contract (and who will be an absolute bargain this year)... I don't think you can pass it up unless it becomes a bidding war. It would also prevent New England from landing him.

I do believe this has leaked to get the interest started early, like intentionally listing a house under its value. For all our sake it's fortunate I'm not the GM of the Bills but assuming he's not a headcase/has an undisclosed injury, I'd offer a 1st round plus. Crazy as it sounds, but my logic is stated above: we'd be good and extremely lucky if whomever we picked in the first becomes as good or better than Diggs.

In a dream world where this happens, I still hope they get that big body, redzone nightmare project later in the draft.

Edited by technobot

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

1.  His team isnt kicking him to the curb.  They are in a cap hell with another elite WR on the team, 2 good TEs and a run first offense where the RB is also a dangerous receiver.  He is a luxury they can no longer afford.  Thats not kicking someone to the curb, thats bad cap management coming back to bite them.

They have two WR's and chose to keep the other guy. He apparently was not considered to be the No. 1 WR on that team. 

2.  Why does he have an "attitude concern"?  Because he didn't like the run first offense?  Theilen complained about it too, so why doesnt Theilen get labeled with the same attitude problem?

Never said Theilen didn't have an attitude problem. It is certainly conceivable that they are both jerks. Bottom line, the guys that know Diggs best decided they'd rather keep Theilen.

3.  The fact that the draft IS stocked also makes it possible to poach a top 10 WR from a team who can no longer afford him so they can TRY and replace him with an affordable contract.  

You are correct, most teams are bright enough not to waste resources on a FA WR when the draft is chock full of very talented ones, best ever most say. 

4.  Diggs contract is actually great for his talent level.  Minn has to shed salary, and paying two top end WR's on a team already loaded with other weapons is not a luxury they can afford, especially with how much they run with Cook now.  

Free agents are gambles, it is not at all unusual for guys to flop with their second teams. Part of MN's poor management of the cap is the money they paid Diggs, no? A second round pick is pretty valuable, not a sure thing but still valuable. And 45 million is a lot more than Ceedee Lamb is going to cost or Aiuk.

5.  We wont be doing anything close to "mortgaging the future" on Diggs, his contract is so easy for our cap situation.  

It is a good cap situation because we haven't gone shopping for high priced glitz or helped other teams fix their cap problems. Lets keep it that way.