GDT: Iowa Caucus

18 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yes. I'm not a fan and generally favor progressive economic policies. The economy is strong right now, but I envision a downturn in the near future. Maybe this particular tax cut was perfectly targeted, but I'm skeptical. 

I am not trying to be a smart alec, but what are progressive economic policies?  I understand growth oriented policies but not progressive economics.  Where have those worked for a sustained period of time?

I am in favor of a progressive (not puntative) tax system, minimal regulations, a temporary safety net, free markets (not crony capitalism) and free trade where the rules are equitable (i.e. not China's).  This will lead to sustained growth over time.  It does not mean never a recession but the trend will be upwards over time at a higher rate.

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I think in 2008 they wiped out the FL results for something similar, but I forget the details (wasn't paying as close attention back then). Pretty sure there's a precedent for just ignoring the results all together. 

Which would help Biden. And is why they'll do it (more than likely). 

The 2008 shenanigans were something else. In Michigan, they later decided to give some of Hillary's delegates to Obama because "he'd have gotten some if he were on the ballot" (he passed). :blink:

Florida and Michigan "agreement."

The "D" have been pulling ***** to get the "right" candidate for many years now.  I hope Bernie enjoys his fourth house.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

This reminds me of the scene in Gangs of New York where Boss Tweed says something to the effect of, it doesnt matter the number of votes, what matters is the counters

Reminds me more of The Dukes of Hazzard. Boss Hogg's slogan was "Vote early, and vote often".

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think that's why a lot of us voted for Trump. Not idea by any means, but better than the alternative. 

I think ayou are correct.  I didnt vote for Trump but i sure as hell couldnt vote for that corrupt old hag Hillary but this go around I will vote for Trump.  And keep in mind, no candidate is ideal, anyone who thinks they exist are lunatics like the zealots working for Bernie or the Biden supporters despite his being a creepy functional idiot.

44 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think that's why a lot of us voted for Trump. Not idea by any means, but better than the alternative. 

Trump was 17/17 of the republicans in 2016 for me.  However, Hillary and Bernie were 18/19.  I would like him to control some of his Twitter urges but his policies have worked economically. 

I think much of the blowback is from libs who can not walk all over him like they did Bush, McCain and Romney.  They wanted to deal and be liked while they got their pockets picked.

• Like (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I am not trying to be a smart alec, but what are progressive economic policies?  I understand growth oriented policies but not progressive economics.  Where have those worked for a sustained period of time?

I am in favor of a progressive (not puntative) tax system, minimal regulations, a temporary safety net, free markets (not crony capitalism) and free trade where the rules are equitable (i.e. not China's).  This will lead to sustained growth over time.  It does not mean never a recession but the trend will be upwards over time at a higher rate.

It's odd.  I watched most of the debates that occurred once a month starting last July.

I don't remember a lot of economy talk at all.  Every time a moderate candidate tried to tell the most progressive candidates that their plans will cripple our economy, they were shunned.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, /dev/null said:

Of the Democratic Party

Just remember that in her mind as well with her fellow media the solution in their minds is to dispense with fly over country participation in the nomination process as well as the election process.  If outright elimination cannot be done then do middle America after NY, CA, FL, and IL have had their events.  

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The iowa caucus, what a farce.  Just give the nomination already to Biden and stop the pretense of the primaries.

And these caucus particpants, they are supposed to be politically astute and aware so we see a lady that didn't even know Butgeiegeg (?) 

was gay after she voted for him....yep, really engaged  and informed

Typical tolerant Libtard

24 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Very well done by her.  I didn't think the other woman was "flipping out" but the worker was definitely in a tough spot,. The woman being surprised at Pete's sexuality, irrespective of her opinion on the topic, definitely shows that she is pretty damned uninformed and probably should not vote for anyone.  

Although not filmed, she took back her card and turned it in for Biden then said "wait a minute, are you telling me this guy sniffs people's hair"?

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Haha (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

that worker handled that well. Good for her, I mean, what do you say in that situation!  Yikes. 

IN today’s age, wouldn’t be surprised if this was a plant or set up. I mean who doesn’t know Pete B is gay?  Seems fishy. Also, why was someone recoding that?  Just a small spidey sense thing. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hedge said:

Smart. 

I was very skeptical of the whole thing in 2016.  We had a caucus in my state.  They have since changed it to a primary this year.  Anyway, I was caucusing for Bernie.  I volunteered to be precinct captain so I could watch the votes being counted to make sure no Hillary monkey business was going on. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hedge said:

62% in:

Candidate                       SDE
Bennet 0
Biden 210.344
Bloomberg 0.133
Buttigieg 362.637
Delaney 0
Gabbard 0
Klobuchar 169.694
Patrick 0
Sanders 337.887
Steyer 3.761
Warren 246.18
Yang 14.273
Other 0.28
Uncommitted 2.077

https://results.thecaucuses.org/

...uh oh...."Say It Ain't So Joe"......wonder if he knows........where the hell is "Mike"??..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Legit question regarding the apparently failed Iowa Caucuses for the Dems that venture to this portion of the board.  Are you ticked off, embarrassed, indifferent, or other by what appears to this outsider to be either gross corruption or gross incompetence?  Suppose in fairness, it could be both.

And, considering the D party always claims to be the party of the little guy (or the person without a voice to be less gender specific), does it ever get frustrating to see them once again act in a manner that only helps the established power structure?  (Not expecting an answer to that one, but would appreciate any feedback you wouldn't mind supplying.)

I think amused is the right answer.  I watched last night because I knew Bernie would have a strong showing and I wanted to see how CNN spun it.  I was surprised by how poorly Biden did and how well Buttigieg did.  When I first turned it on around 9 expecting to see some results they were still showing different precincts and discussing candidates.  Then the fun began.  They showed Biden supporters that were not going to be viable, Warren supporters that wow had such huge numbers, then Sanders which was larger than Warren and they quickly moved past it.  The night continued to get worse for Biden and then they started to get impatient waiting for results.  I eventually had to turn it though, watching politics on tv is anxiety inducing.  So much sky is falling, doom preaching, and arguing.

Then I woke up to something glorious this morning.  Straight out of the Trump playbook.  Sanders wasn't going to let the DNC screw them so they had someone at each and every polling place.  They were keeping their own numbers!  Then it comes out that it is a discrepancy between their numbers and the DNC which caused the hold up and I couldn't wipe the smile from my face.  Then it comes out that the poll that was scrapped showed him winning.  DNC has been exposed and I enjoy when people that abuse their power get their comeuppance.  Dummies don't understand how the world currently works.  People will be outraged the more apparent it becomes they are screwing Sanders and only energize his base more.

On a side not how terrible are caucuses?  I was talking with my wife last night about this.  You don't get to vote in private and it takes hours to complete.  We have 2 small children and therefore would have to decide which 1 of the 2 of us got to vote.  My house with 2 registered voters would only get 1 vote.  I have to imagine this effects many people.  Between childcare, working, and/or other responsibilities, how are people supposed to participate in this democratic process?  Unless that is the point...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

i'm enjoying the irony of how democrats spent the last 40 months railing against the electoral college, then pull off this caricature of an election

...all depends what fits the outcome......Electoral College was established in 1787 and worked fine for 229 years until Arkansas' feral hog got smoked in 2016...."if you can't beat 'em, change the rules".....find me a better example of sore losers and I'll STFU.....

• Like (+1) 1