Poloncarz: Bills tell Erie County they will NOT terminate stadium lease

9 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Is this a big deal?  Current lease runs until 2023?  If they are going to build a new stadium, it would not be ready before then, even if construction started by summer time this year(which won't be happening).

Not a big deal but the Pegulas could've played hard ball with Erie County for help paying for a new stadium. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not a big deal but the Pegulas could've played hard ball with Erie County for help paying for a new stadium. 

Make no mistake about it, regardless of this press release, Erie County will be kicking in, if a new stadium is built.  Poloncarz can do all the gesturing he wants, but in the end he will bow to King Pegula.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Make no mistake about it, regardless of this press release, Erie County will be kicking in, if a new stadium is built.  Poloncarz can do all the gesturing he wants, but in the end he will bow to King Pegula.

Everyone will pay their part but it seems like there won't be any drama. I'm guessing we get a  big reveal on stadium plans around training camp time or season tickets time.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

More details

Two things from the lease summary

-  Game Day Expenses - $1,818,000 in 2013, increasing annually :o

- The Toronto series clause gave me chills

8 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Two things from the lease summary

-  Game Day Expenses - $1,818,000 in 2013, increasing annually :o

- The Toronto series clause gave me chills

Little known fact: Almost half of that is for remediation expenses in a certain upper bowl rest room. @Seasons1992 and @plenzmd1 and several others know what I’m talking about! ?

Yeah, something probably comes out before next season. These things don’t happen overnight. In fact, even if word came out today, it seems like a tight timeline before the lease expires.  

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Is this a big deal?  Current lease runs until 2023?  If they are going to build a new stadium, it would not be ready before then, even if construction started by summer time this year(which won't be happening).

No, it's not.  But something for Poloncarz to beat his chest about.

PSE has their new stadium plans in hand, and ready to go at need. The county/ state as well likely has financial numbers worked out for the most part, it’s not like all parties concerned don’t know this is coming down the pike. The current  stadium cost 22 million to build in 1973 dollars, and 127 million in 2019 dollars according to Wikipedia, fwiw. There was/is an outer harbor plan for New Era II stadium costing 1.4 billion to include the stadium, hotel, convention center and sports museum etc, also according to Wikipedia fwiw, likely a bunch of you guys knew this stuff already...

• Thank you (+1) 1

Eh, the year 7 opt-out was in there as a worst-case scenario anyways. Never expected the Pegulas to even entertain exercising that, unless they were magically able to snap a new stadium into existence.

I’m more interested in this viability study they’ve been sitting on. 

IF the Bills have any intention of building a new stadium downtown or otherwise, I assume there is no need to put in another dime in renovation costs on New Era Field.  That would make me assume that if additional renovations occur on NEF, the Bills are staying put.  Right?

• Like (+1) 1

they should work out something with the Tuscarora Indian tribe on their land in niagara county.Could be very advantageous. tribe would get wealthy. Could be a native american theme park with visitors from around the world.-wouldnt just sit there dead offseason like most stadiums do. easier access for canadians and rochesterians.

55 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

IF the Bills have any intention of building a new stadium downtown or otherwise, I assume there is no need to put in another dime in renovation costs on New Era Field.  That would make me assume that if additional renovations occur on NEF, the Bills are staying put.  Right?

makes sense

3 minutes ago, Tcali said:

they should work out something with the Tuscarora Indian tribe on their land in niagara county.Could be very advantageous. tribe would get wealthy. Could be a native american theme park with visitors from around the world.-wouldnt just sit there dead offseason like most stadiums do. easier access for canadians and rochesterians.

that’s a very nice idea, but would probably involve the Pegulas ceding a measure of control of the site to the tribe, which I doubt neither they nor any other NFL owner would ever do.

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Everyone will pay their part but it seems like there won't be any drama. I'm guessing we get a  big reveal on stadium plans around training camp time or season tickets time.

The NFL better plan to pony up too. It’ll be a mix of state, county, NFL and the Pegulas that will get it done.

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

that’s a very nice idea, but would probably involve the Pegulas ceding a measure of control of the site to the tribe, which I doubt neither they nor any other NFL owner would ever do.

yeah those federal laws

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Being they just did some renovation work a short while back, i think you may be right on that, I sure would like a city location but they sure as hell aren’t asking my opinion, ?

I don’t know if I’m in the minority here, but this comes as no shock to me. Given Pegula’s determination to see the process through with getting recommendations regarding location and stadium build ideas, and that nothing has been started to this point toward construction, it was a foregone conclusion they would need to see the lease through. 

This provides a 3 year window to get it all together and opened. Makes sense to me and despite all of the money invested over the last seven years, those were necessary changes to keep the stadium and its facilities at a professional level, they were not indications that the Bills / Pegulas would not build a new one. 

Personally, I think a dome is on its way - and it should be. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

And the state should kick in as well. Buffalo Bills are New York state's only team.

6 hours ago, Tortured Soul said:

I thought Gregg Brandon was out with Russ.

4 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Is Gregg Brandon related to Russ? Sorry, no mention on Russ's Wikipedia page.

He is his brother:

https://buffalonews.com/2018/05/03/pegulas-used-own-attorneys-in-pittsburgh-to-investigate-brandon/

"Gregg Brandon, Russ’ brother, is executive vice president and general counsel for Pegula Sports and Entertainment. Gregg Brandon is expected to remain with the organization, a Bills source said."

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A big F.U. to Goodell? :lol:  Not really. But expect a stadium announcement within 9 months. They will need two years to do whatever they are planning for 2023, when the lease expires.

Greg Brandon is better at writing letters then id be. I would just say, "Hey Mark, just wanted to give you a heads up, we are staying in New Era Field for 3 more years. Have a great weekend!"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, njbuff said:

My question would be where exactly would they put a new stadium? 

Perry Projects. That would link Canalside development to Larkinville.

12 hours ago, Tcali said:

yeah those federal laws

Property laws.

36 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Perry Projects. That would link Canalside development to Larkinville.

That would make a lot of sense. The City of Buffalo/BMHA have been essentially neglecting that entire site since the redevelopment plans a bunch of years back fell through. With the Old First Ward neighborhood improving and a connector to Canalside and the Outer Harbor, I can easily see the city loving a massive project to replace housing projects. The only issue is parking, it’s still part of the urban core. There cannot/should not be any new sprawling surface lots so that will be interesting.

If they go this route, they’re going to get a hell of a pushback from affordable housing advocates and other social justice groups, though.

Edited by eanyills