The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Cmon-

Even if you are a Trump supporter you can’t buy some of this crap. 

The man called this virus a hoax. He can’t now act like he was quick to respond. He need to stop politicizing and campaigning and put out the fire!

How would you “put out the fire”?

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Cmon-

The man called this virus a hoax. He can’t now act like he was quick to respond. He need to stop politicizing and campaigning and put out the fire!

Again, for like the 3,000,000,000,000 time......................

Who was the first to ban travel from Wuhan in January when the media mob called him racist for doing it?

You people who hate the President conveniently forget that fact just to push your own dumb azz political agenda.

Edited by njbuff

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I clearly don't see this the same way as the majority of the board, but that was NOT a good look for Trump. I've seen him "own" the room; many, many times. 

That did not happen here; at all. The Hemmingway line was good, but this was a subpar performance.

He'll have some really interesting tweets later tonight.

Even the performances are getting tiring.  Yes, we know Trump's thin skinned and doesn't respond to criticism well.  Yes, we know reporters are just as narcissitic and want to be the one to "get Trump."  I get more out of watching Tiger King at this point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Cmon-

No he did not call it a hoax.  That in itself is a hoax.  What he referred to as a hoax was that this virus would be the next thing that the dems politicize.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Serious question; which is it? A pandemic or a hoax. The President just said that if we hadn't taken these steps, there would have been more deaths than the civil war. Yet most of the base thinks the entire thing is a media production.

I'm just not sure how those two ideas are reconciled. 

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

More births down the road?

Not a lot of 6’ shlongs out there so I’m thinking no. 

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Serious question; which is it? A pandemic or a hoax. The President just said that if we hadn't taken these steps, there would have been more deaths than the civil war. Yet most of the base thinks the entire thing is a media production.

Most of the base thinks what??  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

If I were you, I would be more concerned about how you arrived at the conclusion that this is a serious question...

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Well, no one is surprised that you can't figure out how to reconcile those "ideas", considering one of them is an idiotic fantasy you came up with.

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Well, no one is surprised that you can't figure out how to reconcile those "ideas", considering one of them is an idiotic fantasy you came up with.

Really?????????

Are you a Twitter guy? Virtually all of his big time proponents like Candace Owens and Charlie Kirk have a timeline filled with tweets claiming the numbers are fake, hospitals are empty, etc.

You are REALLY denying that a large percentage of Trump supporters don't believe COVID is especially serious? I mean, the seriousness of the virus is a legitimate debate as is the debate over whether or not we needed/need to shut things down. But it's willful ignorance to insinuate that it's "not a thing." 

I'm actually pretty stunned by these responses.

Edited by LSHMEAB

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Really?????????

Are you a Twitter guy? Virtually all of his big time proponents like Candace Owens and Charlie Kirk have a timeline filled with tweets claiming the numbers are fake, hospitals are empty, etc.

You are REALLY denying that a large percentage of Trump supporters don't believe COVID is especially serious? I mean, the seriousness of the virus is a legitimate debate as is the debate over whether or not we needed/need to shut things down. But it's willful ignorance to insinuate that it's "not a thing." 

I'm actually pretty stunned by these responses.

You are REALLY basing your idiotic "idea" on a few tweets?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Koko78 said:

You are REALLY basing your idiotic "idea" on a few tweets?

A FEW TWEETS?????

Wow. Just wow. 

So there is NOT a large segment of Trump's base that believe the seriousness of the virus has been dramatically exaggerated by the media and that we didn't need to go this route?

Again. Wow.

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

A FEW TWEETS?????

Wow. Just wow. 

So there is NOT a large segment of Trump's base that believe the seriousness of the virus has been dramatically exaggerated by the media and that we didn't need to go this route?

Again. Wow.

Large? I am not certain of that. There are definitely Trump supporters, and people who do not support President Trump,  who feel this has been overblown. 

As been said, the postmortem on this will be interesting.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

A FEW TWEETS?????

Wow. Just wow. 

Again. Wow.

So you have it on some authority that a large segment, large percentage, most of, Trump’s base” feel the seriousness of this is exaggerated?  

Two questions:

1.  What are you basing this on?

2.  Define Trumps base? 

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Both.

It's serious, but doesn't justify the heavy handed tactics. And the media coverage of this thing is a farce. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

49 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Both.

It's serious, but doesn't justify the heavy handed tactics. And the media coverage of this thing is a farce. 

I actually agree. And here's the deal; the media coverage right now attacking Trump for acting too late IS totally unfair. You don't shut down a country under the circumstances we faced in January and February. I think his timing was solid. On the flip side, he was really erratic today and I do not believe it was a good look. JMO.

My point is simply to say that there's a disconnect between Trumps reference to Civil War death's and the rhetoric from his top surrogates from Hannity to O'Reilley to pretty much all of them.

It just feels like EVERYONE has become incapable of independent thought. It is what it is, but I appreciate the HONEST response

• Like (+1) 2

As a side not which is completely (or should be) apolitical; I think it is time to re-open the economy, especially if we're talking about March 1st. People are so conditioned to practice social distancing and wash their hands (which they should have already been doing I THINK) that the risk is inherently mitigated. 

We can't sustain this much longer, especially when we're seeing the numbers we're seeing. I want my mom, who's 65 with COPD, to stay at home and continue to do what she's been doing. Other than that, life is full of risk and these numbers don't justify a PROLONGED shutdown. May 1st or maybe even earlier seems perfectly reasonable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Large? I am not certain of that. There are definitely Trump supporters, and people who do not support President Trump,  who feel this has been overblown. 

As been said, the postmortem on this will be interesting.

I thought from the start that if the social distancing measures works this will feel overblown.  I agree that the postmortem will be very interesting.

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

A 10pm-5am curfew?  What is this supposed to accomplish? 

Maybe fear of jail overcrowding considering they're virus hot spots?  I have no clue.

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

How would you “put out the fire”?

I’d let the medical professionals do their jobs and communicate a clear and concise plan to the American people. How do we know we are safe going back to work or sending kids back to school? Am I risking my life by going out to dinner? It’s not just the elderly and unhealthy that are at risk as first reported. 

Right now all we are hearing is that social distancing is flattening the curve, but we have no idea if cases will surge once again if restrictions are loosened. There is no concrete plan coming out of Washington! 

Trump from day 1 seemed more worried about the economy (Which was going to be his major re-election platform) than the safety of American lives. All I ask is for my government to not be evasive with me. 

If Trump came out tomorrow and said

“look our country cannot sustain social distancing for however long it’s going to take to come up with a vaccine so we are going to co-sign re-opening businesses at local governments discretion” I would be fine with that. So long as he also informed me of the risk level. 

Right now he comes across like the mayor in jaws.

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

As a side not which is completely (or should be) apolitical; I think it is time to re-open the economy, especially if we're talking about March 1st. People are so conditioned to practice social distancing and wash their hands (which they should have already been doing I THINK) that the risk is inherently mitigated. 

We can't sustain this much longer, especially when we're seeing the numbers we're seeing. I want my mom, who's 65 with COPD, to stay at home and continue to do what she's been doing. Other than that, life is full of risk and these numbers don't justify a PROLONGED shutdown. May 1st or maybe even earlier seems perfectly reasonable. 

It’s easy to sit here and say “life is full of risk” until you find yourself laying in a hospital bed. The reason why this is dangerous is that a lot folks have that “it can’t happen to me” attitude. 

I think you are going to get your wish, but let’s be real about it. The government likely knows that lifting restrictions is going to kill people. How many? Who knows, but those people will be sacrificed for economic reasons.

What is the moral thing to do here? At the very least you have to inform people of the risks and best prevention measures. Should our federal and local government also continue to enforce measures to protect people from risk? That’s the debate that is going to go on the next few weeks. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I actually agree. And here's the deal; the media coverage right now attacking Trump for acting too late IS totally unfair. You don't shut down a country under the circumstances we faced in January and February. I think his timing was solid. On the flip side, he was really erratic today and I do not believe it was a good look. JMO.

My point is simply to say that there's a disconnect between Trumps reference to Civil War death's and the rhetoric from his top surrogates from Hannity to O'Reilley to pretty much all of them.

It just feels like EVERYONE has become incapable of independent thought. It is what it is, but I appreciate the HONEST response

This is a much more reasonable take than your first question. IMO, the constant criticism and blame that has been directed at Trump, an almost complete shutdown of the economy, some questionable restrictions of individual rights/freedoms, and the vast disparity between projected and actual numbers all feed into the overreactions, in responses, from some of these "top surrogates" and others.

But, I believe the vast majority of people, regardless of political leaning, believe this is a serious issue. You are going to have extremes at both ends; however, as usual, they don't represent any majority. I don't know a single person who doesn't understand this is serious (some feel it is more serious than others), that people are dying, and that some measures had to be taken. Yet, I think it is also reasonable to think an almost complete shutdown of the economy and a unilateral lockdown of people for any extended period of time are not good ideas - and that, yes, the cure could be worse than the disease.

I am someone who believes that panic, criticism, and blame during a crisis only makes things worse. With that said, I do think there are some very legitimate questions that need to be asked when the time is right.

Unfortunately, I hold absolutely no hope that those questions can be asked in a bipartisan way

Cheers :beer:

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Trump in that Press conference doubled down on his authority be sole and absolute to decide when and how to reopen the economy. It can be painful to watch him work. He is right legally, but now puts his base and many supporters who have been saying this is a state issue in an awkward spot. 

Relevant to something JetsFan (???) said above, if we reopen too soon and cases surge, hold your elected officials responsible. It would just show that they didn’t have the backbone to make sure this shutdown was worth it. Watch these plans to reopen with great interest. 

9 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I clearly don't see this the same way as the majority of the board, but that was NOT a good look for Trump. I've seen him "own" the room; many, many times. 

That did not happen here; at all. The Hemmingway line was good, but this was a subpar performance.

He'll have some really interesting tweets later tonight.

Trump is only worried about votes, so he tells everyone task force meeting about coronavirus and shows propaganda video instead. Disgusting look for anyone to do something like that, but when your only objective is votes you do dumb things.

Edited by Hardhatharry
  • Like (+1) 1

If Trump skipped those press conferences, they would be better and we would get much better information. But he can’t miss a chance to talk and media can’t miss a chance to pound him. So we get the top narcissist battling the eyeball-eaters, when all we want is grown up conversations. Brutal to watch them act like this with this going on. 

Austria’s reopening plan looks sensible. 

“Shops of 400 square meters, around 4,300 square feet, or less, hardware stores and gardening centers were allowed to reopen, but shoppers are required to wear a mask or covering over their faces and noses and maintain a distance from one another.”

Also some restrictions on people per sf in stores. Larger retail malls to open in 2 weeks. Factory and other places opening too. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

Trump is so small...he won't go to a hospital to see what is going on....but he will hold a presser everyday so the faithful can jagg off with him. 

Seriously....look at your posts from yesterday during the presser....could you have bigger boners? 

Edited by TH3
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I actually agree. And here's the deal; the media coverage right now attacking Trump for acting too late IS totally unfair. You don't shut down a country under the circumstances we faced in January and February.

You don't shut down - but you prepare in February. You make sure front line hospital/emergency personnel have personal PPE before the spread starts. That did not happen. That would have saved lives. Outside of downplaying the seriousness of the virus, what did the federal government do in February?

11 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

You don't shut down - but you prepare in February. You make sure front line hospital/emergency personnel have personal PPE before the spread starts. That did not happen. That would have saved lives. Outside of downplaying the seriousness of the virus, what did the federal government do in February?

Has there been a credible claim that a patient died due to a lack of PPE? 

3 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

There has been community spread throughout the country partly because hospitals were not prepared with PPE. Thousands have died.

I’m not sure that theory has been proven or even really pushed hard by anyone....but if it helps you in your effort to cast blame in this time, OK, I guess.

16 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

There has been community spread throughout the country partly because hospitals were not prepared with PPE. Thousands have died.

Where?

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Where?

Silly person. You’re not supposed to ask questions...just keep looking for someone to blame....and if you can’t find anyone, then Trump is the usual suspect. Yet somehow this same virus is in 180 countries around the globe...all with very similar degrees of preparedness and it’s STILL the fault of the current administration. Unbelievable.