The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 minutes ago, TPS said:

Where do get that MA is weeks behind NY? MA had its first cases in the last week of Feb, and NY was about same. One of the sites I use shows the growth as of the 20th case, and MA is only 3 days behind NY. 

The first reported case doesn't matter as much as stopping the further spread (ie Washington State)  Mass had an "exponential" growth rate heading into the weekend.

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

100% correct. What’s odd is that right now they’re the only ones pushing that narrative. The country is pulling together, complying with recommendations, helping each other, holding fund raisers, etc.....and there’s the MSM firing away on all negative cylinders right on a cue! We’ve come a long way since 9/11. No more pulling together now. Just all negative, all the time. Really horrible people.

Right, there is a reason why, in any poll you look at, Americans' approval rating of the MSM is somewhere just below rat feces in their food....

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Their job is to report the facts. Not ask open ended opinion based questions and you know it. Next time the fireman comes to your house I hope your neighbor is standing on the lawn asking them what time they think they’ll be done using the water ‘cause he wants to take a shower!

Trump said there was no fire. 

4 minutes ago, TPS said:

You may want to find my interaction with 3rd on this a few weeks back, it will save you from wasting your time...

I'm sure you're spending as much time looking back at NYC officials comments in early February about the pandemic's threat to its residents.  Who had a more direct impact on the spread?

19 minutes ago, GG said:

I saw the article, and it relies on the talking points that we discussed before.  As more data comes and scientists learn more about the virus, it does turn out that personal behavior plays a huge role in stemming the spread.  Otherwise you wouldn't be seeing the wide variation of the spread across nations.

There seems to be a very low probability of spreading the virus through the air, with person to person contact or putting your germy hands on your face being the most likely culprit.  That's why countries that preach good hygiene fare a bit better and why social distancing rules should help.

But getting back to the point of the most recent contention about RI being concerned about NY moving up there, while ignoring the greater risk of Mass right next door.   Again, because NY is weeks ahead of Mass, the migrating NYers are less likely to carry the virus as of now.  Even if they do, we're talking about dozens maybe hundreds of asymptomatic NYers, vs thousands of Mass & RI residents crossing each others' paths on a daily basis.   So, please tell me about that math again.

That's why I'm glad Cuomo B word slapped Raimondo for being an idiot.

Is every state run by an Italian or what?

Forget about it.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

And he was right. Do you think the fireman is in a panic when he’s standing on your lawn? Nope. But I’m guessing you’ll be squealing at the top of your lungs. 

The fireman admits there is a fire. He is a fireman, after all.

27 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Trump started fighting this virus with more vigor than the WHO and much earlier. The WHO was still stating that the virus couldn't be passed between humans when Trump closed our borders for travel to and from China. Your bolded statement above is an outright lie. How or why would anyone believe anything that you post? You don't even link anything to your stupid speculation. 

The WHO also was still criticizing him for cancelling flights from China nearly a week after he'd done so.

Yes, he should've shut travel with Europe sooner, but when he's dealing w/ advice like that from what is supposedly the world's most prominent authority, it's a bit tougher of a call.  And, he's correctly been leaving decisions that belong at the state level with the governors.  There's been guidance, but that's what it should be.  

Considering all the conflicting info that's been put out there, consider that both 45 and Cuomo have done fairly well with this.  (Though both have made missteps.)

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Turk71 said:

The United States government sent nearly 17.8 tons of donated medical supplies to China—including masks and respirators—almost three weeks after the first case of the coronavirus was reported in the state of Washington

In a press release from the State Department dated Feb. 7, the agency announced it was prepared to spend up to $100 million to assist China as the number of COVID-19 cases and deaths continued to rise there. The day the press release went out, Trump tweeted that he spoke with China’s President Xi Jinping and that China would be “successful especially as the weather starts to warm & the virus hopefully becomes weaker and then gone.” 

At the time, sending supplies overseas may have seemed like the right thing to do. But it’s worth noting that this release of vital medical supplies came two days after several senators, including Connecticut Democrat Chris Murphy, offered to allocate congressional emergency funding for preventative health measures and research to ward off the virus in the United States—and President Donald Trump turned it down. “Local health systems need supplies, training, screening staff, etc…” tweeted Murphy, “and they need it now.”

Trump would go on to deny that it posed a risk to Americans for weeks after that. 

How the tables have turned. As of Saturday afternoon, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports 103,321 cases of the coronavirus in the United States and 1,668 deaths, the highest number of confirmed cases worldwide. Hospitals across the country are now experiencing an unprecedented shortage of respirators and masks. Desperate nurses and doctors are taking to social media to show their need for protective equipment with the hashtag #GetMePPE, as they treat patients who are dying of the virus. 

On Wednesday, the Trump administration asked the international community for donations of equipment, including N-95 masks, gloves, respirators, and hand sanitizer. But even as his officials ask for foreign aid, Trump has a very different public message. As he boasted during Tuesday’s coronavirus briefing at the White House: “We should never be reliant on a foreign country for the means of our own survival.”

Just left the Administration briefing on Coronavirus. Bottom line: they aren't taking this seriously enough.

Notably, no request for ANY emergency funding, which is a big mistake. Local health systems need supplies, training, screening staff etc. And they need it now.

I find it really cute Murphy blames Trump for the Chinese Flu, yet while it was developing he and ALL the Democrats were putting us all through a sham impeachment...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

And he was right. Do you think the fireman is in a panic when he’s standing on your lawn? Nope. But I’m guessing you’ll be squealing at the top of your lungs. 

If the fireman says there is no fire and people head back into the building than he’s an idiot. You don’t have to panic, but you don’t have to lie either. 

Edited by Q-baby!

2 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

If the fireman says there is no fire and people head back into the building than he’s an idiot. You don’t have to panic, but you don’t ha d to lie either.  I dropped out of school in the fifth grade and I like to eat paint chips.

There, FIFY.

BTW: I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go back into a building that was on fire, no matter what the fireman said.

• Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

LOL.  Please post a link with truthful facts. 

A few weeks after the outbreak began in China’s Hubei province in December, U.S. health officials warned Trump of the seriousness of the threat. But in his first public comments about the virus, on Jan. 22, Trump told the public he wasn’t worried. “Not at all,” he said. “We have it totally under control.” Throughout February, Trump dismissed Democrats’ alarm about the virus as their new “hoax,” blamed “the Democrat policy of open borders” for the pathogen’s spread and insisted that his Jan. 31 decision to restrict travel from China had contained the outbreak. By Feb. 29, officials reported the first coronavirus–related death of an American on U.S. soil.

https://time.com/5805683/trump-administration-coronavirus/

Trump’s first Major error in the crisis came a year and a half before the novel coronavirus first emerged in Wuhan, China. In May 2018, he authorized his then National Security Adviser, John Bolton, to eliminate the National Security Council’s global health security unit and demote its pandemic experts.

The dunce hat fits you very well. You're also very accomplished at getting sucked into MSM's lies. The bolded above is MSM's complete distortion. 

https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/nsc-pandemic-office-wasnt-shuttered-just-consolidated/

It is true that the Trump administration has seen fit to shrink the NSC staff. But the bloat that occurred under the previous administration clearly needed a correction. Defense Secretary Robert Gatescongressional oversight committees and members of the Obama administration itself all agreed the NSC was too large and too operationally focused (a departure from its traditional role coordinating executive branch activity). As The Post reported in 2015, from the Clinton administration to the Obama administration’s second term, the NSC’s staff “had quadrupled in size, to nearly 400 people.” That is why Trump began streamlining the NSC staff in 2017.

I alluded to this consensus in this weekend’s posting. While the 400 number has turned out to be bogus—inflated by the inclusion of low-level support staff—almost everybody agreed that the NSC had gotten too operational, stepping on the agencies it was created to coordinate.

So, we get to the heart of the matter:

One such move at the NSC was to create the counterproliferation and biodefense directorate, which was the result of consolidating three directorates into one, given the obvious overlap between arms control and nonproliferation, weapons of mass destruction terrorism, and global health and biodefense. It is this reorganization that critics have misconstrued or intentionally misrepresented. If anything, the combined directorate was stronger because related expertise could be commingled.

The reduction of force in the NSC has continued since I departed the White House. But it has left the biodefense staff unaffected — perhaps a recognition of the importance of that mission to the president, who, after all, in 2018 issued a presidential memorandum to finally create real accountability in the federal government’s expansive biodefense system.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GG said:

The building would and should be shut down during the crisis if the congregation is stupid enough to still hold regular service.  Nobody is talking about the City repossessing a building.

Don't be your usual imbecile self this early in the morning.  There are plenty of options for churches to hold online services, and many already started two weeks ago when the city shut down.

No, but the subject of permanent closure HAS been raised by DiB.

5 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

Thank you! You are brilliant! Are you Donald Trump? 

Thank you for the flattering words. If you would like to run any of your future posts by me for clarity, composition, grammar, punctuation, and, above all, having some kind of logical point, feel free. I'm here to help! :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 2

Social distancing...

Japanese people don't shake hands.

South Korean Etiquette

"The bow is the traditional Korean greeting, although it is often accompanied by a handshake among men. To show respect when shaking hands, support your right forearm with your left hand.

Korean women usually nod slightly and will not shake hands with Western men. Western women may offer their hand to a Korean man. 

Bow when departing. Younger people wave (move their arm from side to side)."

7 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Social distancing...

Japanese people don't shake hands.

South Korean Etiquette

"The bow is the traditional Korean greeting, although it is often accompanied by a handshake among men. To show respect when shaking hands, support your right forearm with your left hand.

Korean women usually nod slightly and will not shake hands with Western men. Western women may offer their hand to a Korean man. 

Bow when departing. Younger people wave (move their arm from side to side)."

They also wear masks at the first sight of a cold