The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Well, the "msm" agrees with you and thought this was peachy keen. Not sure if this woman knows she is speaking to the President of the United States.

to be fair and with all due respect, he did not answer the question. he used whataboutisim to deflect.

Edited by Foxx

Just now, Gary Busey said:

Staff who were lucky enough to have them at Buffalo General were reusing the same N-95 masks until March 19th. 

Where have thousands died because of PPE shortage?

13 hours ago, shoshin said:

In a circle of people whose business I know who have applied, none have received a dollar. Not evidence but just a data point. This includes by extension a relative who’s a Cpa that said all his clients are waiting. 

It’s a huge program and I’m not complaining. Just saying that they should be wary of patting themselves on the back too much. 

There just waiting for the results of the clinical trials before they actually help anybody... probably. 

Edited by Nanker

38 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

There has been community spread throughout the country partly because hospitals were not prepared with PPE. Thousands have died.

Can you please point to me something, where "thousands have died" due to lack of PPE, masks or ventilators.   I would like to see that myself.  I haven't even seen that from the mainstream media and you know they'd be all over that.  

43 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Has there been a credible claim that a patient died due to a lack of PPE? 

Hospital workers become patients because of poor PPE and patients get sick because of poor PPE. There’s a reason it’s so important. 

We can debate about whether certain politicians would have done more in Feb but we can’t debate that we didn’t do enough to prepare. Clearly we did not. Not just with PPE preparation but more so with planning and testing preparation. We lost an important month while downplaying the risks. 

You can blame Trump. You can blame Cuomo. Neither one gets a pass. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Magox said:

Can you please point to me something, where "thousands have died" due to lack of PPE, masks or ventilators.   I would like to see that myself.  I haven't even seen that from the mainstream media and you know they'd be all over that.  

Where did I claim that #MAGA Ox?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

Trump is so small...he won't go to a hospital to see what is going on....but he will hold a presser everyday so the faithful can jagg off with him. 

Seriously....look at your posts from yesterday during the presser....could you have bigger boners? 

here, you might need this.

103435080-hand-holding-magnifying-glass-

3 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

I said thousands have died. To assume zero of those had to do with PPE shortage is ignorant.

You said thousands died in a post about PPE shortages.  Explain the connection. 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

It's nice to see Trump getting out there and talking. Makes me feel confident of his defeat in November. A partisan rant while people are dying? That's not helping him at all. America is sick of this side show 

nah. America is sick of your ilk's side show.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Where did I claim that #MAGA Ox?

I hadn't been on PPP for a while until recently.   I've now observed enough to know what you're about.

Just now, GG said:

You said thousands died in a post about PPE shortages.  Explain the connection. 

He can't

10 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

I think the issues with testing in this country need to be better explained if they haven't already.  I've heard some things some from a local radio interview recently that mentioned some challenges here in the U.S. in terms of the variety of testing platforms we use in this country and that not all tests are compatible with all equipment and that some equipment is designed to handle higher test volumes than others.  Your linked article and other news outlets I've heard have parroted the report that WHO had a test and we chose not use it.  I can't imagine that such a test would have been readily available in the numbers we need and fully compatible with our testing network and that we would not use it at all.  If Germany developed a test in a week, the calculus could easily have been that we too can develop a test in a week or two that we can manufacture and source here in the numbers we need and that can be deployed with our test platforms.  That doing this would be faster than trying to source, deliver and deploy new testing equipment throughout the country.   That may have been a good calculus but when our test had problems, we had a setback.

South Korea also developed their own test and passed on the German/WHO test.  There has to be reasons why the world simply didn't overwhelming adopt that test.   

I'm not claiming we should've adopted WHO's test, rather the point is the information (genetic sequencing of the virus) was made available to create the test in early January.  I also posted a few days ago a link to research funded by DARPA published January 30th that suggested the R0 for the virus was twice the initial estimated range (which was 2-2.5).  

The information was readily available by the end of January that the virus was a serious threat, and some in the administration were sounding the alarm at that point (Navarro for example). As I commented in real time in the Trump Economy thread, it was very clear the economy/stock market was taking precedent over combating the virus.  As I commented then, you could see Trump finally took leadership on this after the market crashed March 16th, the day after the Fed dropped interest rates to zero (he commented that Sunday evening how Wall Street would be very happy--they were not). 

I even stated he finally looked presidential at that Monday afternoon presser.   Yes, yes, others were also late to the game, but to say Trump was focused on this from the beginning is spin.  Wall Street forced him to take it seriously March 16th.

1 minute ago, TPS said:

I'm not claiming we should've adopted WHO's test, rather the point is the information (genetic sequencing of the virus) was made available to create the test in early January.  I also posted a few days ago a link to research funded by DARPA published January 30th that suggested the R0 for the virus was twice the initial estimated range (which was 2-2.5).  

The information was readily available by the end of January that the virus was a serious threat, and some in the administration were sounding the alarm at that point (Navarro for example). As I commented in real time in the Trump Economy thread, it was very clear the economy/stock market was taking precedent over combating the virus.  As I commented then, you could see Trump finally took leadership on this after the market crashed March 16th, the day after the Fed dropped interest rates to zero (he commented that Sunday evening how Wall Street would be very happy--they were not). 

I even stated he finally looked presidential at that Monday afternoon presser.   Yes, yes, others were also late to the game, but to say Trump was focused on this from the beginning is spin.  Wall Street forced him to take it seriously March 16th.

So you're saying that the CDC, NIH, Fauci and medical experts throughout the country were waiting for Trump to give them the green light to begin working on this?

Is that what you're implying?

As governors across the country fell into line in recent weeks, South Dakota’s top elected leader stood firm: There would be no statewide order to stay home.

Such edicts to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus, Gov. Kristi L. Noem said disparagingly, reflected a “herd mentality.” It was up to individuals — not government — to decide whether “to exercise their right to work, to worship and to play. Or to even stay at home.”

And besides, the first-term Republican told reporters at a briefing this month, “South Dakota is not New York City.”

But now South Dakota is home to one of the largest single coronavirus clusters anywhere in the United States, with more than 300 workers at a giant ­pork-processing plant falling ill. With the case numbers continuing to spike, the company was forced to announce the indefinite closure of the facility Sunday, threatening the U.S. food supply.

5 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

You saw my response and know my intention. Don't be a DR.

Actually, I don't know what your intentions is, other than tying two things together that didn't happen in reality.

4 minutes ago, TPS said:

One of the reasons Europe got hit so hard was because the tests they were depending on from China were very inaccurate. The experts said in the briefing yesterday that they were working on testing in February and we now have the best testing in the world. Other countries that were hit 3 weeks before us are asking for our tests. The administration’s effort and results on every front has been outstanding so far. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

I’d let the medical professionals do their jobs and communicate a clear and concise plan to the American people. How do we know we are safe going back to work or sending kids back to school? Am I risking my life by going out to dinner? It’s not just the elderly and unhealthy that are at risk as first reported. 

Right now all we are hearing is that social distancing is flattening the curve, but we have no idea if cases will surge once again if restrictions are loosened. There is no concrete plan coming out of Washington! 

Trump from day 1 seemed more worried about the economy (Which was going to be his major re-election platform) than the safety of American lives. All I ask is for my government to not be evasive with me. 

If Trump came out tomorrow and said

“look our country cannot sustain social distancing for however long it’s going to take to come up with a vaccine so we are going to co-sign re-opening businesses at local governments discretion” I would be fine with that. So long as he also informed me of the risk level. 

Right now he comes across like the mayor in jaws.

So the question was “what would you do to put out the fire?” Your answer?  Orange Man Bad. 

Ok you did say you’d let medical professionals do their job. Brilliant!!  

3 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

One of the reasons Europe got hit so hard was because the tests they were depending on from China were very inaccurate. The experts said in the briefing yesterday that they were working on testing in February and we now have the best testing in the world. Other countries that were hit 3 weeks before us are asking for our tests. The administration’s effort and results on every front has been outstanding so far. 

Our tests didn't work at first. And "Europe" didn't get hit hard, only parts of it did. 

Trump has proved himself perfectly incompetent in this affair. He doesn't pay attention to his NSC briefings, he admits that. That has cost lives here 

8 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Okay 5GG. Watch out for the #DeepState

No really. Why did you mention that thousands have died right after you mention there was a shortage of PPE unless you were making a connection?   You’ve been called out on it and this is your best response?  Bravo!  

• Like (+1) 1

So while Trump huffs and puffs his ignorant bravado, "I have the power!" and his supporters gush over his manly show, real leadership is emerging to meet the challenge 

The Post reports that New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo (D) organized an alliance of sorts among six Northeastern states, which conducted a public conference call Monday afternoon. “Cuomo was joined by Democratic governors Phil Murphy of New Jersey, Ned Lamont of Connecticut, Tom Wolf of Pennsylvania, John C. Carney Jr. of Delaware and Gina Raimondo of Rhode Island, who agreed to name health, economic and executive point persons in their respective states to work on the regional plan.”

In working together, states in close proximity with interconnected economies (e.g., people living in Delaware but working in Pennsylvania) can pool ideas and expertise. Moreover, since the virus does not respect state borders, it makes sense to address knotty questions (e.g., what is an essential service?) on a regional basis. In a joint statement, the governors explained, “The council will create this framework using every tool available to accomplish the goal of easing social isolation without triggering renewed spread — including testing, contact tracing, treatment and social distancing — and will rely on the best available scientific, statistical, social and economic information to manage and evaluate those tools.”

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

No really. Why did you mention that thousands have died right after you mention there was a shortage of PPE unless you were making a connection?   You’ve been called out on it and this is your best response?  Bravo!  

Someone asked if anyone has died because of a lack of PPE. Thousands have died in total - to assume all of those people would be dead if hospitals had adequate amounts of PPE in the beginning of March is ignorant. The disease spread from patients to healthcare providers partly because hospitals were not prepared.

Edited by Gary Busey

11 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Someone asked if anyone has died because of a lack of PPE. Thousands have died in total - to assume all of those people would be dead if hospitals had adequate amounts of PPE in the beginning of March is ignorant. The disease spread from patients to healthcare providers partly because hospitals were not prepared.

Fair enough.  You need to work on you syntax however. 

Edited by Chef Jim

8 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

If you were honest about anything, you'd note that the majority of infections of healthcare workers happened early on, when PPE was still in plentiful supply.  Which means that very likely, the health workers may not have been as diligent as they are now in following every rule to minimize exposure.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Link?

1 minute ago, GG said:

If you were honest about anything, you'd note that the majority of infections of healthcare workers happened early on, when PPE was still in plentiful supply. 

I gave you the example I am personally involved with. Doctors and nurses at Buffalo General were using the same N-95 mask mid-February through March 19th. 

13 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

It's ignorant to think that people died in the hospitals because of a perceived PPE shortage.  Using your Buffalo General example, Erie County has a total of 81 deaths.  Where are the thousands of deaths related to PPE shortage? 

2 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

I gave you the example I am personally involved with. Doctors and nurses at Buffalo General were using the same N-95 mask mid-February through March 19th. 

Erie County total deaths are 81 - how many are related to PPE shortage?  Is it even a single case?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

I still never said this and have corrected my perceived poor syntax multiple times. Go ***** yourself.

That's not how this works, especially given your posting history.   If anyone is in need of a thorough self *****, it's not me.

Here's your post - uncorrected for any syntax, because it's not a syntax issue, but a point the blame issue.

There has been community spread throughout the country partly because hospitals were not prepared with PPE. Thousands have died.

How was community spread affected by lack of hospital readiness?  

24 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Thank you for this, I’m not getting into the political aspect or trying to blame anyone, but it’s frustrating to hear random people continue to state there is no PPE shortage. People are so addicted to choosing a “side” these days, that they don’t live in reality. Masks are being used multiple days from boxes that say “do not reuse”. That shouldn’t happen, and hopefully it never happens again.

Edited by SirAndrew

33 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Our tests didn't work at first. And "Europe" didn't get hit hard, only parts of it did. 

Trump has proved himself perfectly incompetent in this affair. He doesn't pay attention to his NSC briefings, he admits that. That has cost lives here 

We’ve done more than twice as much testing as any other nation. Generally, we’ve done better per capita than most nations as well. If Trump is incompetent, what does that make all the other world leaders who are asking for his help? He has proven to be the opposite of incompetent in this crisis, but whatever makes you sleep at night.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Thank you for this, I’m not getting into the political aspect or trying to blame anyone, but it’s frustrating to hear random people continue to state there is no PPE shortage. People are so addicted to choosing a “side” these days, that they don’t live in reality. Masks are being used multiple days form boxes that say “do not reuse”. 

Masks are supposed to be single use for a reason. We had and have a ppe shortage. And that’s just with masks and gowns. 

Wr seem to be getting more on top of it now. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

We’ve done more than twice as much testing as any other nation. Generally, we’ve done better per capita than most nations as well. If Trump is incompetent, what does that make all the other world leaders who are asking for his help? He has proven to be the opposite of incompetent in this crisis, but whatever makes you sleep at night.

Did we test at first to prevent the spread, or was Trump still calling it a hoax? 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/