The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

4 hours ago, Magox said:

5) Trump retweeting a "fire Fauci" hashtag is interesting.  Clearly there is a level of friction and he is getting pressure from his right wing base to minimize Fauci's role.  I think that is a terrible idea.  Or, it could be his way of sending a brushback pitch to Fauci.  Who knows?   But without doubt that will be the most anticipated question in today's briefing.   Will Fauci even be there?  If so, will he clarify?   

Here's the actual tweet he retweeted.  Clearly the interview irked him and there's likely some friction between the two.  I just see it as venting and Trump knows that the average American just wants consistently and stability in the federal government's response to this.  He won't fire Fauci yet.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Here's the actual tweet he retweeted.  Clearly the interview irked him and there's likely some friction between the two.  I just see it as venting and Trump knows that the average American just wants consistently and stability in the federal government's response to this.  He won't fire Fauci yet.

I tend to agree with your take, DocB. The anti-Fauci push was pushed early on by the most rabid partisans who, citing Fauci's ties to Clinton in the Wikileaks dump (and Valarie Jarret), take him to be a bad actor. I've never bought that, and I don't think 45 does either (else he would have kicked him to the curb a month ago). There have been Fauci moments where he's made it tough to keep that stance though. His deflection/protection of the WHO and its director as an example -- but I write that off to his personal relationship with the man more than anything else. 

I don't think he's going anywhere -- even if Trump is done with him -- for the reasons you state above. If there's an issue, Trump will take him out after this passes and replace him.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

I tend to agree with your take, DocB. The anti-Fauci push was pushed early on by the most rabid partisans who, citing Fauci's ties to Clinton in the Wikileaks dump (and Valarie Jarret), take him to be a bad actor. I've never bought that, and I don't think 45 does either (else he would have kicked him to the curb a month ago). There have been Fauci moments where he's made it tough to keep that stance though. His deflection/protection of the WHO and its director as an example -- but I write that off to his personal relationship with the man more than anything else. 

I don't think he's going anywhere -- even if Trump is done with him -- for the reasons you state above. If there's an issue, Trump will take him out after this passes and replace him.

I can't help but wonder if Fauci is just enjoying the limelight... These epidemiologists are an interesting psychology study for me - they spend their entire career planning and preparing for the worst case scenario, which really makes me wonder if their prone to seeing the worst case scenario in something like this... A self fulfilling prophesy, so to speak. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

Wait. Do you think there is a possibility of a causal connection between 5G and Covid-19?

I have no clue. I guess anything is possible, but is it probable? How much do you trust China? I don't believe in coincidences, especially when it comes to communist countries. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, GG said:

Not exactly.  5G is an enabling technology.  It's the hardware manufacturers' decision of how to use that technology to get data back and forth.  It's not a given that your refrigerator's diagnostics will be shared with the government.  If governments want to instill a surveillance state, they can do it without 5G.  5G just makes it more efficient.

not paying your child support? off with your fridge.

1 minute ago, westside said:

I have no clue. I guess anything is possible, but is it probable? How much do you trust China? I don't believe in coincidences, especially when it comes to communist countries. 

China didn't develop 5G.  But since the major Western telecom vendors went bankrupt, it opened the door for Huawei to steal technology and use its size to corner the market on emerging 5G gear.   USA's 5G buildouts do not contain any Huawei equipment.

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

not paying your child support? off with your fridge.

Worse, they can make the beer inside the fridge explode.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GG said:

China didn't develop 5G.  But since the major Western telecom vendors went bankrupt, it opened the door for Huawei to steal technology and use its size to corner the market on emerging 5G gear.   USA's 5G buildouts do not contain any Huawei equipment.

Worse, they can make the beer inside the fridge explode.

But nothing to do with Covid-19 right?

Anyone? Bueller?

In the sleepy town of Mesopotamia, Ohio, population 3,220, health inspectors got wind of an illicit wedding attended by members of the local Amish community and filed a "notice of violation" against the revelers, according to local news reports.

Vindy.com:

[Kristofer J. Wilster, director of environmental health in Trumbull County], said his report will be turned over to Trumbull County authorities. The Trumbull County Sheriff’s Office and the county health department investigated the report of a possible wedding celebration involving 300 people, according to a sheriff’s report.

Oh, the humanity.

And how did the authorities find out about this wedding?

Why, a snitch, of course, because that's the America we live in now:

According to a caller Tuesday night to Trumbull County 911, an Amish wedding was scheduled to take place Thursday around noon at the Mesopotamia location, which is commonly used for large gatherings. The caller told 911 that food preparation at that location began Wednesday with about 40 people.
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Best thing to come out of the lock down: I now know I can order gallons of Margaritas from local Mexican restaurants. ? At one local restaurant you can order a bottle of tequila (house), triple sec (house), and lime juice to make your own... flavored if you prefer.

At one month of being house bound, it is the little things in life... :w00t:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, B-Man said:

In the sleepy town of Mesopotamia, Ohio, population 3,220, health inspectors got wind of an illicit wedding attended by members of the local Amish community and filed a "notice of violation" against the revelers, according to local news reports.

Vindy.com:

[Kristofer J. Wilster, director of environmental health in Trumbull County], said his report will be turned over to Trumbull County authorities. The Trumbull County Sheriff’s Office and the county health department investigated the report of a possible wedding celebration involving 300 people, according to a sheriff’s report.

Oh, the humanity.

And how did the authorities find out about this wedding?

Why, a snitch, of course, because that's the America we live in now:

According to a caller Tuesday night to Trumbull County 911, an Amish wedding was scheduled to take place Thursday around noon at the Mesopotamia location, which is commonly used for large gatherings. The caller told 911 that food preparation at that location began Wednesday with about 40 people.

I understand the feeling about being anti-snitch but what the hell do you do when 10% of your town population is gathering in one place against all common sense and it endangers your community?

Calling to shut it down makes sense. I’d do the same thing if 500 people decided to put on a party at my local park right now. 

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I understand the feeling about being anti-snitch but what the hell do you do when 10% of your town population is gathering in one place against all common sense and it endangers your community?

Calling to shut it down makes sense. I’d do the same thing if 500 people decided to put on a party at my local park right now. 

What do you do when hundreds gather at Walmart?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

FEAR makes people do silly things -- like give up their freedom for the mere illusion of security. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Land of the Free and Home of the Brave may need to be changed in the Star Spangled Banner.

Just now, shoshin said:

To buy food and things they need, nothing. 

If they are having a concert in the parking lot, something. 

What is the difference in the spreading of the virus?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

"Things they need" is the slippery slope though, Shoshin. Some people need God. Some people need seeds. Some people need community. 

If you let fear dictate your decisions, you'll never be free. 

• Like (+1) 5

46 minutes ago, westside said:

In reality, it's just really fast internet for your phone.

11 minutes ago, shoshin said:

6 minutes ago, shoshin said:

facepalm-smiley-gif-548.gif.95ad6dfe9f0a9f1cc238ba46fff8a0cc.gif

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

and all this time I thought he was a self serving liar and conman who has left a wake of bankrupt partners, jilted customers and unpaid creditors, a guy who promised he was going to build a wall and have Mexico pay for it, balance the budget, pay off the debt, repeal and replace the ACA with something better, denuclearize the Korean peninsula and stiffed on all those promises.....Turns out he just is a stream of consciousness speaker....huh.....

You seem conflicted.  

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Foxx said:

facepalm-smiley-gif-548.gif.95ad6dfe9f0a9f1cc238ba46fff8a0cc.gif

Kill yourself. Don’t kill me to have a party. 

I had an immediate family member die two weeks ago, not Covid related. No service. No ceremony. No viewing. Just her husband and us because we had been caregivers and we understood that we shouldn’t endanger others. It’s a different time at the moment. 

No one should arrest the wedding party or tar and feather them. Just break it up and wish them well. But also tel them they are being idiots. Same thing that happened to the full court basketball happening at our corner park for a week after we entered lockdown. A few interventions by neighbors and at least one calm one by a cop and it stopped. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Pizza Hut. Uber. Drive through at McDonalds.  Home Depot.  Grocery store. Landscaper.  Electrician.  Insurance claim.  Withdraw money from the bank.   Amazon warehouse. Many, probably most of the UPS/Fed Ex deliveries made. 

There are millions of interactions going on every that have very little do to with true 'need' when considered in the cataclysmic sense.  

It's an illusion at this point, and ratting out the Amish amounted to a few coins, at most.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

“Show me the ‘60 Minutes’ episode a year ago, two years ago or during the Obama administration, during the Bush administration, that said, ‘Hey a global pandemic [is] coming, you got to do XYZ and by the way we would shut down the entire global economy to fight it,’” Navarro said. 

“Show me that episode, then you'll have some credence in terms of attacking the Trump administration for not being prepared,” Navarro added. 

So 60 Minutes did.

White House adviser to 60 Minutes: Show me your pandemic story

50 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

"Things they need" is the slippery slope though, Shoshin. Some people need God. Some people need seeds. Some people need community. 

If you let fear dictate your decisions, you'll never be free. 

200.gif

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I had an immediate family member die two weeks ago, not Covid related. No service. No ceremony. No viewing. Just her husband and us because we had been caregivers and we understood that we shouldn’t endanger others. It’s a different time at the moment. 

No one should arrest the wedding party or tar and feather them. Just break it up and wish them well. But also tel them they are being idiots. Same thing that happened to the full court basketball happening at our corner park for a week after we entered lockdown. A few interventions by neighbors and at least one calm one by a cop and it stopped. 

Sad, and sorry to hear about the loss of your family member.  

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, shoshin said:

What level of exposure do you think those people have had? Think anyone of them has been to China?  Europe?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Why would you be killed? You can stay indoors and suck your thumb. Nobody is forcing you outside into this awful world.

You must have been a basket case during recent flu seasons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

scary-rat-teeth.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Gary M said:

What level of exposure do you think those people have had? Think anyone of them has been to China?  Europe?

Their travel is irrelevant at this point since US spread is among ourselves. And letting people self-identify their current status with confidence is not how to beat this. We all assume we all have it and act accordingly will get us further than saying that “I ran a 5K yesterday and feel fine.”

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

My own perspective from LA is warped by the fact I'm immuno-suppressed (so I've been extra careful) and the fact I work in the entertainment industry which is being decimated in the wake of the shutdown. Meaning, I've been given a front row seat to both sides of the debate about both the severity of the virus and the cost of shutting down the entire country. 

Our friend/neighbor two doors down in our building has it -- but is young and recovering fine. Though, I'm sure that means it's all over our building. I'm on day 32 of my own lock down, and facing (per LA county) another 32 days of it. Most everyone I know out here has lost their job, or (like me) lost several jobs. So there's a constant back and forth between people being terrified of the bug and terrified they'll never work again in the industry. 

... I'm waiting for the anit-body tests because the longer this has gone on the more convinced I am that I had it in December (worst "flu" of my life hit me and my girl as we traveled from LA to Texas to Rochester -- and we promptly got the whole family sick over the holiday). We've been getting (good natured) grief since then from my siblings that we're plague rats, but man if we wound up spreading Covid (and thus giving the family immunity) in December we'd be able to turn that narrative around from plague rats to heroes! :lol: 

Lol That is great hoping on the last part true. Be safe man. Right hopefully get the  job back when country opens back up. And this virus gets to be done with. This is kind of in a way a boring virus lol. Be safe man.  Hopefully you're friend/neighbor ok and wish him well. In a rural town here I live. Unsure how bad it is going to be. Have a testing center at a school lol. A store had 3 employees today caught it. Ya i'll let everyone know about rural town. Think with Easter and Winter snow again helps a smaller towns as well (bad weather here next couple days).  The places worry the most might be low income or nursing home if they get it when packed full of people.

Happy late Easter to everyone.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Why would you be killed? You can stay indoors and suck your thumb. Nobody is forcing you outside into this awful world.

You must have been a basket case during recent flu seasons.

I don’t care if I die. I’m not looking to do it but if I do, I do. Life is a zero sum game. You get a life. You lose a life. Finis. But I’m not at risk particularly and not that afraid of the virus. Much more worried about the shutdown being ineffective. 

We all need to act together to beat this. We can’t have 300 person weddings starting now or we may as well not be in lockdown at all. We are either all in this together or we are not. If we are not, ok. But it doesn’t make sense to have different rules for people who just want to celebrate. It defeats the purpose of the shutdowns, which is to stop spread.

I am more on the side of opening soon by the way. But since we are already partially down this path of bombing the economy, let’s make it worth something and get this under control. If we let the stupid virus just rise up and pass the level it was at before, this shut down will have been one of the dumbest decisions ever and we should pillory every state and federal politician for not pushing their powers to make this worth it. 

12 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

scary-rat-teeth.jpg

Got a union card?

Edited by shoshin