Who remembers Don Smith's last carry for the Bills

Stallions

Don scored the 1st touchdown for the Bills in Super Bowl XXV.  That was his last carry in the NFL.  He was released the following year and his life went down hill after that.

Former NFL player Don Smith, convicted of drug charges, held his head in his hands and wept in 1994 as a judge sentenced him to a mandatory 15 years in prison.

Smith, a second-round draft pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1987, was arrested in April 1993 after trying to purchase a half kilo of cocaine from an undercover police officer for $9,500.

The former All-Southeastern Conference quarterback for Mississippi State was found guilty Tuesday of conspiracy and trafficking in cocaine. A co-defendant, Raul Maldonado, was convicted of a lesser charge of possession of cocaine.

Under current state law, Smith will have to serve the entire 15-year sentence because of the amount of cocaine involved.

Smith, 30, played running back for the Bucs for three seasons before signing as a free agent with Buffalo in 1990. He scored a touchdown for the Bills in the team's Super Bowl loss to the New York Giants.

• Like (+1) 1

Sad story, wow. I remember Smith, as I met him briefly and got his autograph in August of 1990. He was in the building where I worked at the time for an appearance on Budweiser Sportsline with Paul Maguire. Paul often brought players back to our office, but I bumped into Smith as he was leaving. I recall he was very nice , and we briefly discussed the upcoming season. Of course, I had no idea what an amazing season was about to unfold , and he was an unlikely candidate to score the Bills first SB touchdown in franchise history. I was never aware of what happened to him, except that he wasn’t in the Bills the next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is an example of why I never idolize a player. I’m all behind my team, but I don’t know these guys from Adam. I wear Bills gear, but trust very few players with being worthy of a jersey.  

EDIT: If I were to pick a player for a jersey, Kyle Williams would be high on my list of options. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I remember when he scored that touchdown in SB XXV, I was like who the heck was that guy lol!? 

If Thurman scored that TD, giving him 2 scores and 190 all - purpose yards, then he definitely wins mvp, becoming only second player to do so in a superbowl in a losing effort. 

I remember the Bills using Don Smith in a "direct snap" role several times during the '90 season; he also caught a decent number of passes.

Sad story.  I guess if he served his 15 years he's been out for 10.

Kind of confusing and misleading post--you should include the date of the publication on it so it is clearer.

The Tuesday spoken of was almost 30 years ago.

Anyone know how Smith is doing now, as he supposedly has been out of prison for over a decade?

I remember him as he was one of the main kickoff returners in the Bills first Super Bowl year and decent at it.  Had a few good runs as well, but tough to get touches that year.

Edited by Mister Defense

6 hours ago, NC Book said:

I remember when he scored that touchdown in SB XXV, I was like who the heck was that guy lol!? 

If Thurman scored that TD, giving him 2 scores and 190 all - purpose yards, then he definitely wins mvp, becoming only second player to do so in a superbowl in a losing effort. 

Thurman would have won MVP anyway, except many of the MVP voters didn't know you could vote for someone on the losing side.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Thurman would have won MVP anyway, except many of the MVP voters didn't know you could vote for someone on the losing side.

they didn’t vote for him because he didn’t remotely deserve it

95 percent of voters at the time would have remembered a losing team member winning it

45 minutes ago, Bleaky said:

Going to Miami likely got him too close to and into the coke thing. What a bad decision for a guy with such opportunities. Too bad. Hopefully he’s picked up the pieces.

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

95 percent of voters at the time would have remembered a losing team member winning it

No he totally deserved it. He was almost unstoppable ( yard per play was insane) if it weren’t for his coach being too stubborn to run 30 times into a 2-5 front. Facts.

4 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Going to Miami likely got him too close to and into the coke thing. What a bad decision for a guy with such opportunities. Too bad. Hopefully he’s picked up the pieces.

No he totally deserved it. He was almost unstoppable ( yard per play was insane) if it weren’t for his coach being too stubborn to run 30 times into a 2-5 front. Facts.

I don’t remember a thing about him that game

I will on my death bed remember Bavaro and Ingram through total guts and sheer desire earning those first downs in horrible situations 

and Norwood of course....

Thurman is remembered for losing his helmet and cratering the second half against the Cowboys in the one that wasn’t a total massacre 

17 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Many of the voters said the next day "Oh, you can vote for someone from the losing team?  If I'd known that, I'd have voted for Thurman Thomas."  Enough said that to swing the vote his way.

No, I don't have a link.  Search the NYT archives.  It's where I read it after the game.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I don’t remember a thing about him that game

I will on my death bed remember Bavaro and Ingram through total guts and sheer desire earning those first downs in horrible situations 

and Norwood of course....

Thurman is remembered for losing his helmet and cratering the second half against the Cowboys in the one that wasn’t a total massacre 

Different game and irrelevant to SB 25. 15 carries- 125 yards. Plus catches. It’s too bad Marv blew that game... sigh

Edited by 34-78-83
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Augie said:

This is an example of why I never idolize a player. I’m all behind my team, but I don’t know these guys from Adam. I wear Bills gear, but trust very few with being worth a jersey.  

You root for the laundry...

Can't remember which ESPN hot air bag said that 

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

Besides being by far the best player on the field he didn't deserve it????