Week 16: Bills at Patriots***(*), 4:30 pm on NFLN, Postgame

1 minute ago, I am the egg man said:

Don't need to watch replays or listen to analysis of this game.

If you watched it was clear, they are not ready for prime time.

So a team that loses in Foxboro ( with the usual assistance from the officials btw) by 7 points with a chance to tie in the final minute is not ready for prime time ? Lol  The Bills have flaws, but they looked ready to compete in prime time. They’re a young team that needs a couple more pieces. Ahead of schedule right now 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The play of the game ended up being the Josh run at 17-13 where he was close to the first down marker and they marked him short. Then they didn't really get a good look at the play and just rushed the punt team on. I know it was in our own half. But we go for it there or challenge the spot and get it and its a totally different game.

1 minute ago, Nitro said:

Cody is an OG.  He can not handle speed rushers.

That's what a lot of us feel, but do the coaches?

Not a lot of negative has been said about Cody of late on the boards so I figured he was trending in the right direction; I still have to go back to re-watch him versus the Steelers, I thought it was said that he held his own in that game.

14 minutes ago, mannc said:

That was probably our worst defensive performance of the year and it could not have come at a worse time.  NE was better on both sides of the ball.  

I have no idea how we were in a position to tie it at the end.  Josh made some phenomenal throws on that last drive.

It was their worst since the PHL game. Had to keep NE under 20 today and they didn’t do it. They were hyped up for the game, but their fundamentals went out the window at times. That was the difference. Bills needed more creativity in the red zone on offense. They got it one out of three times. 

1 minute ago, BurpleBull said:

That's what a lot of us feel, but do the coaches?

Not a lot of negative has been said about Cody of late on the boards so I figured he was trending in the right direction; I still have to go back to re-watch him versus the Steelers, I thought it was said that he held his own in that game.

Lee Smith lines up next to him a lot.  Look for that too.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

I love how people want to blame the defense.   How many 3 and outs?   How many yards passing up until the final 2 mins of the first 

quarter? 

Come on people!  The Defense was on the field all game, with virtually no break because the second they made a stop, the offense couldn't do squat and they were thrown right back out there. 

The offense and Allen in particular is to blame.  You cant have 50% completion and 19 yards passing with 2mins left in the first half....period. 

Let me start by saying I love Allen and his future with this team. But there has been a consistent trend of Josh playing poor or mediocre in almost every 1st half. He just struggles to get off to good starts. He had chances in both the Raven and Patriot games to tie it up late and couldn't connect. But you also  can't  deny how high his qbr is in the 2nd half. It's incredibly frustrating. Yes the D was on the field too long today but they also missed more tackles today than any game this year. And as usual refs patriot love continued.

Just now, skibum said:

The game was lost on bad throws more than anything else, but bad tackles didn’t help.

Blessing in disguise, now there is no reason to play the starters next week. At least they made a game of it.

The offense needs all the practice they can get. 

Start the O,  bench the defense. 

Just now, Buffbills716 said:

Allen DID NOT give this team a chance.  What game did you watch?  The last time I checked, both defense and offense need to play well.  Yes, the defense made mistakes, but you can't expect them to do everything.  

In my opinion, every single player could have done more to give the Bills a chance to win today, on both sides of the ball, including Josh.  I think the O came pretty close to meeting my expectations against this Pats defense.  The Ds performance was quite a bit below my expectations.

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

So a team that loses in Foxboro ( with the usual assistance from the officials btw) by 7 points with a chance to tie in the final minute is not ready for prime time ? Lol  The Bills have flaws, but they looked ready to compete in prime time. They’re a young team that needs a couple more pieces. Ahead of schedule right now 

4th or 5th in a weak AFC, lots more better teams in the NFC

Top of the middle of the pack, which is good after 20 years of suckitude

21 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

They only ran 49 plays, 26 passes and 23 runs. I don't consider that leaning on the run, just inefficient offense in both phases. Patriots had the ball for most of the game, 39 min to 21 min is a huge discrepancy.

how many passes on the last two drives??? 

Just now, skibum said:

The game was lost on bad throws more than anything else, but bad tackles didn’t help.

Blessing in disguise, now there is no reason to play the starters next week. At least they made a game of it.

I couldn't disagree more.

The game was lost in the trenches.  NE controlled both lines of scrimmage, quite significantly, today.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TwistofFate said:

The offense needs all the practice they can get. 

Start the O,  bench the defense. 

Good point! But if they haven’t figured it out by now, I don’t know that one more game will put them over the hump.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I couldn't disagree more.

The game was lost in the trenches.  NE controlled both lines of scrimmage, quite significantly, today.

This!

Imagine Allen had 102.7 passer rating in the game with 2 TDs and 0 Ints and ran for another 45. And, all some people can do is point to a couple poor throws as costing us the loss. LMFAO this world we live in.

I should add NE was giving up opposing QBR of 49.7 and 12.9 ppg.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1

Realize this.  The Bills played the best defense in the NFL.   Yards were NE 414 vs 268.   Possession was 39 vs 21.  All that....and the Bills still had a chance to tie the game in the last two minutes.  With all those advantages NE barely  won.  My money is still on the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, skibum said:

Good point! But if they haven’t figured it out by now, I don’t know that one more game will put them over the hump.

The O doesn't have the personnel.  While the line is better than it was last year, all one had to do is compare the time Brady got to what Josh got, to know how much better we have to get there.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

This!

Imagine Allen had 102.7 passer rating in the game with 2 TDs and 0 Ints and ran for another 45. And, all some people can do is point to a couple poor throws as costing us the loss. LMFAO this world we live in.

A couple?  What game were you watching? 

How anyone could defend allen is beyond me.   

I challenge anyone to find one analyst, one sports commenter to say Allen wasnt the problem this week. 

It WONT HAPPEN.  We were picked against this week by everyone BECAUSE OF ALLEN.   Everyone how is anything said Allen wouldn't do enough to win this game, and he didn't. 

• Like (+1) 1

Here's my take on today's game:  Relax, we lost the equivalent of an exhibition game.  There, I said it. 

This was an exhibition game for the Bills no matter how much we fans wanted them to beat Brady and Pats.   So stop yelling at Daboll & the play calling and the D's lackluster play.  Look at how the Bills played from another perspective:

*  The Bills are not going to show their playoff opponents their latest blocking schemes for the zero coverage blitzes.  

*  The Bills are not going to show their opponents their latest blocking schemes for their running game.

*  The Bills are going to run on 1st down a whole lot because that's NOT what they're going to do in 2 weeks in the playoff game.

*  The D is not going to show their playoff opponents all their latest coverage schemes & blitz packages. 

*  What we got today was a vanilla offense & defense - just like you get in the last exhibition game.  It would have been coaching malpractice for McD & company to expose their current thinking in a meaningless game when we are in a playoff game in 2 weeks.

The fact is that in GAMES THAT MATTERED against Baltimore & Pittsburgh the defense played their hearts out.  Are you surprised that tonight, while playing a vanilla scheme, they were off their game?  I'm not.  After the last two games this D was due for a let down.

All in all I'm happy with how the Bills played.  They almost stole the game from a NE team that desperately needed to win.  In the 4 games against top competition the Bills are 2 - 2 and could have won every one of those games.  This team is close, very close.

As for Allen's detractors, he played well tonight with a limited game plan and limited play makers.  If you can't see it then you don't know how to watch football.  And why is no one talking about the fact that Allen hit on TWO perfectly thrown long passes?  If this is the new norm, then folks better watch out next year after we get done adding a few more pieces to the O.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well, building a defense that doesn't allow big plays and forces you to make long drives is smart and pays off long term, but there's one obvious downside: on occasion a team WILL make long drives and score enough to win, especially if its defense is strong so "enough" isn't much. When that happens, I think you have to gamble a bit, like going for fourth down at midfield, trying an onside kick or a fake punt. It's tough to out-conservative Belichick. 

That said, it was anyone's game if Allen had hit Knox. So maybe I'm wrong and McDermott and Daboll were right. 

Just now, TwistofFate said:

I challenge anyone to find one analyst, one sports commenter to say Allen wasnt the problem this week. 

It WONT HAPPEN.  We were picked against this week by everyone BECAUSE OF ALLEN.   Everyone how is anything said Allen wouldn't do enough to win this game, and he didn't. 

You know, perhaps of the defense hadn't given up two drives totalling what, 29 plays, by you know ACTUALLY TACKLING SOMEONE, the offense may have had a better opportunity to make more plays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

The O doesn't have the personnel.  While the line is better than it was last year, all one had to do is compare the time Brady got to what Josh got, to know how much better we have to get there.

Because you blitz Allen in a man coverage, and he fails.   Beat the blitz in man coverage and the defense backs off. 

Blitz Brady and pay the price if you don't get him...big difference. 

Ignore the facts because that's what you do. Tackling and Blocking, Coaching, Team game, 102.7 QBR against a team allowing 49.8, no turnovers, 2 TDs ....all facts you don't understand! LMAO

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think NE at home had most to do with being 7pt dogs.

Love your dissent though.

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Here's my take on today's game:  Relax, we lost the equivalent of an exhibition game.  There, I said it. 

This was an exhibition game for the Bills no matter how much we fans wanted them to beat Brady and Pats.   So stop yelling at Daboll & the play calling and the D's lackluster play.  Look at how the Bills played from another perspective:

*  The Bills are not going to show their playoff opponents their latest blocking schemes for the zero coverage blitzes.  

*  The Bills are not going to show their opponents their latest blocking schemes for their running game.

*  The Bills are going to run on 1st down a whole lot because that's NOT what they're going to do in 2 weeks in the playoff game.

*  The D is not going to show their playoff opponents all their latest coverage schemes & blitz packages. 

*  What we got today was a vanilla offense & defense - just like you get in the last exhibition game.  It would have been coaching malpractice for McD & company to expose their current thinking in a meaningless game when we are in a playoff game in 2 weeks.

The fact is that in GAMES THAT MATTERED against Baltimore & Pittsburgh the defense played their hearts out.  Are you surprised that tonight, while playing a vanilla scheme, they were off their game?  I'm not.  After the last two games this D was due for a let down.

All in all I'm happy with how the Bills played.  They almost stole the game from a NE team that desperately needed to win.  In the 4 games against top competition the Bills are 2 - 2 and could have won every one of those games.  This team is close, very close.

As for Allen's detractors, he played well tonight with a limited game plan and limited play makers.  If you can't see it then you don't know how to watch football.  And why is no one talking about the fact that Allen hit on TWO perfectly thrown long passes?  If this is the new norm, then folks better watch out next year after we get done adding a few more pieces to the O.

It's called moving the goalposts because all I understand is the QB is supposed to get it done no matter what.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Ignore the facts because that's what you do. Tackling and Blocking, Coaching, Team game, 102.7 QBR against a team allowing 49.8, no turnovers, 2 TDs ....all facts you don't understand! LMAO

I'd also offer that he holds a different opinion about Allen than does Beane and McD :)

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Realize this.  The Bills played the best defense in the NFL.   Yards were NE 414 vs 268.   Possession was 39 vs 21.  All that....and the Bills still had a chance to tie the game in the last two minutes.  With all those advantages NE barely  won.  My money is still on the Bills.

Only one team scored more points than the Bills did At New England, the Chiefs at 23. 

• Like (+1) 2