Week 16: Bills at Patriots***(*), 4:30 pm on NFLN, Postgame

55 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I am not there but from the outside This is the definition of die hard fans. Win or lose they are cheering for you. 

Sorry but cheering at the airport when you make the playoffs is great. Cheering at the airport when you win or even lose in the playoffs is great.  Going to the airport when you lose a regular season game to a team you always lose to makes no frickin sense to me. We didn’t prove anything other than we are still not good enough to beat a 42 year old QB who has his worst offense in years.  Expect more !!!!!

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 3

This is the first time I've gone to playcalling but the runs on first down were predictable.

Almost like they said we are going to do this on first down continually and better execute. I saw a Playaction stat about Allen somewhere that said his stats were alot better on playaction than otherwise. I thought that could of really worked on some first downs. 

I'd like to think they are saving that but don't think they are that advanced a staff to be saving gameplans. 

Edited by london_bills

38 minutes ago, Locomark said:

My disappointment today was our defense got shredded and looked pedestrian in the 2nd half. Zero sacks vs the Pats 4 sacks was a big difference maker in the game. That final drive it killed our TD chance. 

I expected our offense to score 20 and they would have done so had they not had to score the TD at the end. Way too many chunk plays against our defense today. If you are going to win on defense then your defense needs to bring it in big games. We didn’t. Guys like Milano, Oliver, Hughes didn’t have any plays that changed the course of the game and the front 7 needed that. Only the backend keeps making plays every week. 

Nonaggressive defensive game plan, no deception on the pass rush, soft zone in the secondary. I would double Edelman, go man for man on everyone else and send a variety of blitzes. Brady had all day to pick apart the zone and Edelman was running free in the secondary. Brady was way too comfortable out there today.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Josh Allen is going to be so, so, so good.

Josh's development in beating an elite defense's cover 1 or cover 0 blitzes for the first time in his career, several times today, is far more important to this franchise than the L on the schedule.

This team is beating Houston and then scaring the ***** out of Baltimore, and they're going to take the AFCE next season. 

6 hours ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

Karma has a way of biting you in the ass you little weasel Edelboy.

They cheat all the time look at the BS non PI call in the 4th on Gilmore or the face mask on Joshs QB keeper on 4th and 1

The non PI call was way more flagrant than Tre`s in the 1st.

I really Billieve the Bills wanted to win but if they didn`t it wasn`t the end of the world.

Get out of there with a relatively healthy team and rest some guys this week 

I bet Yeldon gets most of the carries and Perry is the BU at RB

Duke  Sweeney and Boat anchor get in as well

On a day the Bills committed to the run, they had a total of 49 yards rushing from everyone other than Josh Allen.   This was another game where the entire offense was on Josh Allen's back.   A 103 QB rating and zero turnovers was a pretty damn good response to the challenge.   No other offensive player rose to the occasion yesterday.  

7 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

I mostly agree but you can’t exorcise the ghosts of the past until you drop an L on the Pats. You can’t be a true contender being the 2nd best team in your division. We’re close, but things need to progress quickly.

The Rams/Eagles were nascent but already declining. In this league (apart from NE) dynasties last 2-3 years. The window to take a title is short-lived.

I think we’re all frustrated that we saw a pretty poor effort by our squad but still had a chance to beat one of the best. NE played nearly flawless and better than late, and we were one play away. There’s hope there. Let’s hope on our second chance that both the coaches scheme and players execute better.

Just hoping that we were holding something back for the rematch!

7 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like this? This does two things:

*Cheapens the meaning of the reception when they win big games/makes it an every game thing regardless of result

*Sends the message that the fans are into moral victories and are accepting today's loss

I went on and on about how great the airport reception was last week, but this strikes me as embarrassing.

Agreed. After a big win, it's cool. An area that's been down for so long benefits from celebrating valid reasons for civic pride. But don't these people have other things to do with their time that might be slightly more important?

12 hours ago, The Wiz said:

No they aren't. They can't dink and dunk their way in this time. 

But the Patriots did that exactly.

8 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like this? 

I think so.

9 hours ago, Dave from westfield said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Josh Allen is not the answer?  He is by no means an NFL caliber QB

Maybe we can trade for Josh Rosen?

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Interesting observation after a great day of NFL football in which all 3 games had playoff implications. 

How did the QB's do?  Allen was the youngest & Brady was the oldest and we had some big names playing today.  So going by QB rating we have:

1)  Brady = 111;   1 TD/0 INT

2)  Allen = 103;   2 TD/0 INT

3)  Goff = 86;  2 TD/1 INT (1 Pick 6)

4)  Garoppolo = 71;   1 TD/2 INT

5)  Watson = 62;   0 TD/1 INT

6)  Winston = 47;   1 TD/4 INT (1 Pick 6)

Not bad showing by Allen all things considered.

And the progression he made from the last game vs NE (0 TDs, 3 INT) was huge. He didn’t play scared. This team can play with anyone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And the progression he made from the last game vs NE (0 TDs, 3 INT) was huge. He didn’t play scared. This team can play with anyone. 

They can.  Allen needs help calming down pre-game.  They need a passrusher (RIP Jerry Hughes).  They need a tall contested catch WR.  They need some speed on the outside and a gadget-type RB to mix things up.  And maybe a RT.  All of those things are doable.  At least the team is watchable again.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

*Cheapens the meaning of the reception when they win big games/makes it an every game thing regardless of result

*Sends the message that the fans are into moral victories and are accepting today's loss

I went on and on about how great the airport reception was last week, but this strikes me as embarrassing.

Agreed. These are just the people who couldn’t make it last time because it was a school/work night. 

9 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I think you need to re-think what causes you embarrassment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Locomark said:

Sorry but cheering at the airport when you make the playoffs is great. Cheering at the airport when you win or even lose in the playoffs is great.  Going to the airport when you lose a regular season game to a team you always lose to makes no frickin sense to me. We didn’t prove anything other than we are still not good enough to beat a 42 year old QB who has his worst offense in years.  Expect more !!!!!

I hope we hear what the players felt about that show. 
Did you ever play sports growing up? When someone else’s parent or a friend watching told you ‘ you played  a good game and you will get them next time’ it made you feel good. Just because these guys get paid a lot of money doesn’t mean they don’t have all the same emotions as we do.  That cheering last night I bet made an impression on a few guys. 
Maybe in FA when Phillips or Lawson or Spain get a slightly better offer from someplace else they decide to resign with Buffalo. Maybe not. But having those faces on the other side of that fence cheering our team on sure as heck isn’t going to hurt any chances we have. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I believe you are. Yes.

When people talk about the first Knox deep ball he missed on the first drive as a throw a franchise QB makes...

He attempted 3 other deep balls and hit 2 of them. No, Franchise QBs don't go 4/4 on deep balls on the snap of their fingers in any given game, and in many games they don't hit half of them like Allen did today. No QB doesn't leave plays on the field. Allen showed tremendous growth against Bill B and against cover 0 and cover 1 blitzes, to the point where this game was a fundamental step in his development - the first time he's ever succeeded with blitz beaters, with dagger plays to boot like the Brown TD, against an elite defense. The out to Cole on the last drive was another throw that had me smiling until after the game ended. This game makes Allen better long term, and it makes Houston that much more beatable. 

It sucks that we aren't ready to take down the 13-3 Patriots quite yet, but if we needed to win week 17, we are an 11-5 Bills team with 90 mil in cap, 9 draft picks, and a QB going into his third season that is 5x the QB he was this time last season. If you wouldn't have signed up for this knowingly back in August, you were a moron. 

Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I hope we hear what the players felt about that show. 
Did you ever play sports growing up? When someone else’s parent or a friend watching told you ‘ you played  a good game and you will get them next time’ it made you feel good. Just because these guys get paid a lot of money doesn’t mean they don’t have all the same emotions as we do.  That cheering last night I bet made an impression on a few guys. 
Maybe in FA when Phillips or Lawson or Spain get a slightly better offer from someplace else they decide to resign with Buffalo. Maybe not. But having those faces on the other side of that fence cheering our team on sure as heck isn’t going to hurt any chances we have. 

I can appreciate your point of view but I agree more with the “no morale victory” talk coming from the players and coaches. The “atta boy” at the airport is nice but it would motivate me more as an athlete if it was a reward for effort and results and not a given after every game. Do you see my perspective on this? 

17 hours ago, GG said:

How is Daboll bad when he dialed up plays that had the TE wide open in the end zone?

If you are referring to Knox on that back corner endzone throw, we have two very different ideas of wide open.

Daboll is bad because his game plan for the Patriots was terrible.  One play where you think a TE may have been open and he’s a good OC suddenly?

despite trotting out a woefully unprepared and terribly scripted offense for the first entire first half?  If not for one miracle throw by Josh, they go into the half with a deficit.  All I saw yesterday on offense was a couple big throws by Josh that kept the team in the game, and a poor offensive game plan as a whole.

15 hours ago, Big C said:

I don't know if anyone addressed this already, but does anyone think they tried to beat them with a more vanilla gameplan knowing the odds to take the division were next to nothing? Not wanting to put anything new on tape in case we see them a third time?

I do feel good about how these guys will play in January. I like that Allen threw no picks even if he was slow to get started. We were knocking on the door again. Third time's a charm?

If that is Daboll’s plan I don’t trust him in the bigger games to: 1) design new plays that will work, and 2) have the young players execute those new plays. Putting more plays that have worked (or close) on tape will make it equally hard for a D to know what’s coming, IMO. And give the players practice in real situations. Holding some gadget play that might blow up in their back pocket wreaks of desperation and lack of imagination to me.

On 12/21/2019 at 9:22 PM, Chandler#81 said:

Jesus H. Give it a break. You’re boring the hell out of us. We didn’t play well enough to win and therefore lost. Period. 

You’re not the reason fans of the team come here to talk Bills football, though you wouldn’t know it by your exhausting trades. Please shut down your phone and go have a drink.

On 12/21/2019 at 9:22 PM, Chandler#81 said:

Jesus H. Give it a break. You’re boring the hell out of us. We didn’t play well enough to win and therefore lost. Period. 

You’re not the reason fans of the team come here to talk Bills football, though you wouldn’t know it by your exhausting trades. Please shut down your phone and go have a drink.

And you are the reason why people are timid about constructively criticizing the Bills/Allen.  Go pick up your check from 1 Bills Drive.