If Bills Games Become Too Expensive, Will You Switch Teams?

Gugny

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is more directed toward fans who have to drive a long way to attend a game.

I drive over 5 hours to get to Orchard Park.  With the ticket prices and the tailgating options, I don't mind one bit.  I only go to one home game/year.

But it's expensive.  One home game costs me a total of about $700 when it's all said and done with tickets (2), lodging, tailgate food/beer, etc.

When the Bills build their new stadium downtown and jack the prices up ... AND make the tailgating experience one that dictates you eat their food and drink their beer at their prices .... I won't go anymore.

I live an hour north of Albany, NY.  A 3.5 hour (tops) drive to the Meadowlands/MetLife.  Part of me thinks that, if the Bills price me out, I'd just latch onto a team that's closer to me.

I've always said that if I lived 2 hours closer to Buffalo, I'd be a season ticket holder.  I could do that with one of the New Jersey teams and be able to afford going to games.

Anyone else giving this any thought?  I hate the thought of being gouged out of my fandom, but it looks like it's heading in that direction.

"I was sad because I had no shoes, then I met a man with no feet".  

Many of us have to fly across the country to attend a live Bills football game.

I'll get my 86 year old mother on a fixed income to light a candle for you.

12 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

image.png.70dbc8b5e4047d89a42aba2f4bb2cfa6.png

I love how this picture is becoming a cult favorite around here.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

The only thing that will make me find another team is if this one moves.

If we get PSLs and tickets go way up, maybe I'll end my season tickets and attend fewer games.  I'll still go tailgate with my #BillsFamily tho.

What if the tailgates mandate that you eat food from vendors and purchase beverages from vendors? 

I have lived in 4 different states and never ever ever thought about switching teams.  Go find a Bills backer bar and hang out. Many people are die hard fans and never get to the stadium, it doesn't mean you switch teams!

• Thank you (+1) 1

no, and one of the fallacies here is that a lack of tailgating will equate to having to buy overpriced and bad stadium food.  Likely, numerous bars and restaurants will surround the area (they do here in Pittsburgh) and offer low cost (and better) alternatives to the stadium.  

27 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What if the tailgates mandate that you eat food from vendors and purchase beverages from vendors? 

I don't believe there is a team in the league that confiscates your ham sandwich and diet yoohoo in the parking lot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What if my aunt had a wiener-  she’d be my uncle.... no tailgate will ever mandate that you eat their food and drink their beverage.... let’s exit imaginaryland

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't believe there is a team in the league that confiscates your ham sandwich and diet yoohoo in the parking lot.

He’s more of a Fresca and Bugles kind of guy....

4 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

My Bills games usually cost me around $3000. Plane tickets for my wife, son, and I. Car rental. Game tickets. ect ect. We stay at my parents place so I dont have to pay for a place to stay. 

Yeah.... he’s crying about a $700 weekend, that last year claimed was $600..... we roped ourselves into $3600 for tickets, one game we are staying in Hamburg the night before $125, and all the tailgates, which I can only assume we will have $50 (min) per game between food and drink....$400.... let’s call it $4,200.... then the 2 hour each way drive and the $1.35 toll.... hahaha...  perhaps @Gugny needs to find a team based out of Israel.... he can watch them with the rest of his people.... lol

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

What if my aunt had a wiener-  she’d be my uncle.... no tailgate will ever mandate that you eat their food and drink their beverage.... let’s exit imaginaryland

He’s more of a Fresca and Bugles kind of guy....

bugles coupon.jpg

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I suppose if I lost a friendship over football, then it wasn't much a friendship, to begin with.

Not to be a dick, but I kinda feel the same way about your thread. How much of a fan are you that you could root for another team?

I guess each person's fandom has levels.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

If you read through/past those who just want to call this a troll thread, you'll actually see some quality discussion on the topic.

Too many people want to make a decent discussion some sort of troll job.  I think that sucks.

You didn't switch teams,  you were born that way.  And it's ok.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Even if I wanted to switch teams (which I don't), I couldn't if I tried. I don't get the same sense of excitement/nerves watching any other team, just not as invested as I am with the Bills. 

Yeah...if not for the Bills, it wouldn't be the same. When the Bills were winning during the Kelly era, I enjoyed watching football more when the Bills had a by week. When the Bills start winning again it makes football fun.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

Yeah.... he’s crying about a $700 weekend, that last year claimed was $600..... we roped ourselves into $3600 for tickets, one game we are staying in Hamburg the night before $125, and all the tailgates, which I can only assume we will have $50 (min) per game between food and drink....$400.... let’s call it $4,200.... then the 2 hour each way drive and the $1.35 toll.... hahaha...  perhaps @Gugny needs to find a team based out of Israel.... he can watch them with the rest of his people.... lol

Tickets were $100 less last year.  Oy vay.

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Tickets were $100 less last year.  Oy vay.

My hat is off to you and your fellow outside the region fans who make the arrangements and incur the expense to attend  some games. It's not just the large amount of money that is at issue. It is the time spent beyond the game. I'm an ardent Bills fan. I won't put in that much effort to attend. In addition, I have no desire to pee in a communal sink with a bunch of over-imbibing fans. That makes you not only a more ardent fan but a  more special fan. I salute you and your sojourning compatriots. ?

Edited by JohnC
editing
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Orchard Park, the first snow game with the Colts. We sat at the very top of the stadium, froze our tails off, and watched them beat a team that rested most of their stars. I moved that following summer and haven’t been back to a Bills game. 

Was that the December 1974 6-0 game?  I was there!   Upper tunnel end zone. 

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is more directed toward fans who have to drive a long way to attend a game.

I drive over 5 hours to get to Orchard Park.  With the ticket prices and the tailgating options, I don't mind one bit.  I only go to one home game/year.

But it's expensive.  One home game costs me a total of about $700 when it's all said and done with tickets (2), lodging, tailgate food/beer, etc.

When the Bills build their new stadium downtown and jack the prices up ... AND make the tailgating experience one that dictates you eat their food and drink their beer at their prices .... I won't go anymore.

I live an hour north of Albany, NY.  A 3.5 hour (tops) drive to the Meadowlands/MetLife.  Part of me thinks that, if the Bills price me out, I'd just latch onto a team that's closer to me.

I've always said that if I lived 2 hours closer to Buffalo, I'd be a season ticket holder.  I could do that with one of the New Jersey teams and be able to afford going to games.

Anyone else giving this any thought?  I hate the thought of being gouged out of my fandom, but it looks like it's heading in that direction.

Who is your second team? I haven't went to a Bills games since the early 2000s but I watch every play on the Sunday Ticket, I would feel like a fraud changing teams at any point in life.

Just now, billrooter said:

Who is your second team? I haven't went to a Bills games since the early 2000s but I watch every play on the Sunday Ticket, I would feel like a fraud changing teams at any point in life.

I don't have a second team.

Bills still are one of the best values in football and as you mentioned Gug, the reason I go is for all of the value added pieces, especially the tailgating.  You can't replace the atmosphere at Hammer's before and after the game and the smell of 1000's of working grills is pure ambrosia to the senses.  9/22 can't get here soon enough!   

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billrooter said:

Good to hear Gug I detect then you would never switch, this thread is for fun?

I thought it would generate some good, healthy discussion.  The times, they are a changin'.  Buffalo games will be much more expensive and the tailgating atmosphere will likely be a lot different.

It was a fun way to kick off the topic, but it really is an inevitability that fewer people will be able to afford going to games.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I thought it would generate some good, healthy discussion.  The times, they are a changin'.  Buffalo games will be much more expensive and the tailgating atmosphere will likely be a lot different.

It was a fun way to kick off the topic, but it really is an inevitability that fewer people will be able to afford going to games.

You definitely started a lively thread ? You do have the sunday ticket or stream the games while not in attendance though right?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billrooter said:

You definitely started a lively thread ? You do have the sunday ticket or stream the games while not in attendance though right?

I get a handful of games on my local affiliates.  If they're not televised there, I head to the bar.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

When I make the trip to Orchard Park, there are three things I always do:  Get wings and beef on weck at the Bar Bill, Tailgate and attend the game.

The tailgate is definitely what I enjoy the most.  I love the other two, but tailgating represents a solid 6-7 hours and allows me (for now) to share great beer, great food and great conversations with old friends (made via tailgating) and new one.

Tailgating will still exist but it will more like it is in other markets. Which is smaller and pushing people to the bars and restaurants near the stadium. I think the Bills are going more for more of a family friendly environment. Similar to Sabres games. They want to cut down on the amount of drunks that go to games. 

If i stub my toe, should i just cut it off?!? No! Respectfully, weve come to expect better from you. Not to mention the expense of a game only is incurred by a fraction of fans. Why would someone change from their local team bc games are too pricey to a team where the cant/wont attend games anyway thus making it a moot point?!

Just now, Gugny said:

I get a handful of games on my local affiliates.  If they're not televised there, I head to the bar.

Tickets are bound to get more exspensive when we go on a streak like no team ever has in the history of FOOTBALL.   Just sit back and enjoy the ride. New England who we will be asking in another 30 years given we are all still lucky enough to be around my friend.

• Thank you (+1) 1