If Bills Games Become Too Expensive, Will You Switch Teams?

Gugny

7 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Stick with the Bills but instead of going to one home game a year, go to one away game - when they play the Jets.

Problem solved. Allegiance intact.

Beat me to it.  He can hang out with other Bills fans.  It's not like the whole tailgating thing is so vast personally that you lose from not being at OP versus the Meadowlands.  When I go to OP for a game I hang out with friends or family before the game and if somebody in the same lot is putting out an invite for food or drink then I will walk down the row briefly but then go right back to my group.  Generally, we only have enough food and drink for our group so I don't try to crash other groups to only get them pissed when I have to tell them I have nothing waiting for them.

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is more directed toward fans who have to drive a long way to attend a game.

I drive over 5 hours to get to Orchard Park.  With the ticket prices and the tailgating options, I don't mind one bit.  I only go to one home game/year.

But it's expensive.  One home game costs me a total of about $700 when it's all said and done with tickets (2), lodging, tailgate food/beer, etc.

When the Bills build their new stadium downtown and jack the prices up ... AND make the tailgating experience one that dictates you eat their food and drink their beer at their prices .... I won't go anymore.

I live an hour north of Albany, NY.  A 3.5 hour (tops) drive to the Meadowlands/MetLife.  Part of me thinks that, if the Bills price me out, I'd just latch onto a team that's closer to me.

I've always said that if I lived 2 hours closer to Buffalo, I'd be a season ticket holder.  I could do that with one of the New Jersey teams and be able to afford going to games.

Anyone else giving this any thought?  I hate the thought of being gouged out of my fandom, but it looks like it's heading in that direction.

Jeebus. After everything you have lived through as a Bills fan, an increase in the price of going to one game a year is what’s going to end your fandom of the Bills?  Wow. ?

I root for both the Bills (where I live now) and the Browns (where I grew up).  There have been some very dark days as a Browns fan. I’ve checked out for a bit while they were embarrassingly putrid.  I gave up my season tickets and PSLs.  But I never quit the team. 

8 hours ago, Augie said:

When and where did you attend that game? Curious. 

Don’t blame Gugny. I think he bumped his head as a child. CTE is not just an excuse for wayward NFL players. We can all use it now that it is so popular. I slipped on ice on the sidewalk in front of Greg Klinzars house as a kid and saw a starburst of colors. I’m pretty sure I can get away with anything. I’m just too lazy to go break the rules. 

Orchard Park, the first snow game with the Colts. We sat at the very top of the stadium, froze our tails off, and watched them beat a team that rested most of their stars. I moved that following summer and haven’t been back to a Bills game. 

Classic troll OP, classic! We all know $$$ has absolutely nothing to do with true fandom. 

This is is eerily similar to the OP’s thread about Brady/Belichick deserving one more SB win because they’ve always gone about their “business” the right way 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Classic troll OP, classic! We all know $$$ has absolutely nothing to do with true fandom. 

If you read through/past those who just want to call this a troll thread, you'll actually see some quality discussion on the topic.

Too many people want to make a decent discussion some sort of troll job.  I think that sucks.

I wouldn't switch teams, but I'd drop my season tickets if they went to a PSL of any consequence. I drive 3.5 - 4 hours each way.  It's more about camaraderie with my friends than the game experience.  If collectively we were faced with spending $20,000 each to keep our seats - we'd be hard pressed not to find another way to hang out. A hunting camp with an NFL package would work just fine.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

If you read through/past those who just want to call this a troll thread, you'll actually see some quality discussion on the topic.

Too many people want to make a decent discussion some sort of troll job.  I think that sucks.

Ok, but let’s call a spade a spade—you sometimes enjoy riling up the masses with a tear gas bomb equivalent that no one sees coming—like the Brady thread last year talking about how he “deserves “ another championship, etc.

My GOD - Switch teams over the price of a ticket?

If switching teams was THAT EASY I would have been gone years ago due to the EMOTIONAL cost.

I just don't see anyone, who made it through the last 20 years, going ANYWHERE.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I couldn't switch if I tried. Bills forever

haven't thought of switching since 1973, i think i've seen on TV (and sitting at RichRalph) all the misery a fan could endure

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think that very few are truly trolling.  Changing allegiances is not something you do casually.  I would love to do OP more and the drive is not bad at all.  2 hours one way.  I have had to watch money all too closely the last couple of years and this season will be no different.  When things get back to normal the absence from OP will make the next journey all the sweeter.  If the fandom is that important then find a job back in WNY even if it pays less.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Ok, but let’s call a spade a spade—you sometimes enjoy riling up the masses with a tear gas bomb equivalent that no one sees coming—like the Brady thread last year talking about how he “deserves “ another championship, etc.

Who deserved one more?

This is absolutely asinine.  A true fan would never jump ship because of ticket prices.  My whole life, I've lived too far to attend home games.  Because of that, I've never been to a home game.  I bleed Buffalo blue and red.  No matter what part of the country i'm in, I will never become a fan of another team just because i'm closer.  I just moved to outside of Philly.  F them, F the Giant, and F the Jets.  You bet your ass though that when Buffalo comes to town against those teams, i'll be going, supporting the greatest team that I've grown up loving.  Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I only go to occasional games.  One per year is probably my max.  I have to watch my finances closely.  As I get older, my health may not even permit that.  Not going to games will not impact my fanhood.

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What gave you the idea that this topic would elicit decent discussion?  

You seem irritated this morning. Are you chafing?

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

What gave you the idea that this topic would elicit decent discussion?  

You seem irritated this morning. Are you chafing?

Because decent discussion shouldn't be limited to:  "I love the Bills.  The Pegulas are the best.  Every player is awesome.  And Josh Allen is gonna turn the corner this year."

The future of the stadium, ticket prices and tailgating is something that's very important to me.  It's worth discussing, even though it's not all going to be positive.

It's what adults do.

Maybe you are not as die hard fan as some of us are.

I try to go once a year, I fly from Cancun and I would absolutly keep going as much as I can. 

I also try to go where the Bills play away trying to see diferent citys, etc...

I could never quit on the Bills.

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Who deserved one more?

The NFL is a meritocracy, or at least is supposed to be, not a popularity pageant where the winner gets a trophy just for looking right. We already debated the merits of your Patriots threads back then, no need to dive back in today—my point in bringing that up is simply to underline that your thread today fits neatly into the pattern of poking the bear—or did you not expect to see flak for tying your team loyalty to a few Benjamin Franklins? 

17 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Because decent discussion shouldn't be limited to:  "I love the Bills.  The Pegulas are the best.  Every player is awesome.  And Josh Allen is gonna turn the corner this year."

The future of the stadium, ticket prices and tailgating is something that's very important to me.  It's worth discussing, even though it's not all going to be positive.

It's what adults do.

It is chafing, isn’t it?

So, Joe, what price knocks you off of the Bills bandwagon?

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Orchard Park, the first snow game with the Colts. We sat at the very top of the stadium, froze our tails off, and watched them beat a team that rested most of their stars. I moved that following summer and haven’t been back to a Bills game. 

Snow games are AWESOME! Cold, but AWESOME! 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's what adults do.

Every day life is becoming more expensive.  Are you gonna quit living because life is getting too expensive.  F no.  you're gonna adapt and overcome and find ways to make it work.  Because that's what adults do!

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's what adults do.

Be prepared cause we all know a new stadium is most likely coming with limited tailgating and higher ticket prices. Tickets will probably more closer to the league average of $100 over the $70 they are now. 

It seems you more of a fan of the tailgating over going to the game to see the the Bills play. 

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

Be prepared cause we all know a new stadium is most likely coming with limited tailgating and higher ticket prices. Tickets will probably more closer to the league average of $100 over the $70 they are now. 

It seems you more of a fan of the tailgating over going to the game to see the the Bills play. 

When I make the trip to Orchard Park, there are three things I always do:  Get wings and beef on weck at the Bar Bill, Tailgate and attend the game.

The tailgate is definitely what I enjoy the most.  I love the other two, but tailgating represents a solid 6-7 hours and allows me (for now) to share great beer, great food and great conversations with old friends (made via tailgating) and new one.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

When I make the trip to Orchard Park, there are three things I always do:  Get wings and beef on weck at the Bar Bill, Tailgate and attend the game.

The tailgate is definitely what I enjoy the most.  I love the other two, but tailgating represents a solid 6-7 hours and allows me (for now) to share great beer, great food and great conversations with old friends (made via tailgating) and new one.

tell him you drink lite beer and see what happens.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I know this sounds crazy, but I know of one guy who has a slightly longer drive, who is doing the same thing, except NOT going in for the game.  Being a fan of a team doesn’t REQUIRE you to spend any money at all... you don’t HAVE to attend games, you don’t HAVE to tailgate.... you don’t HAVE to troll....

• Like (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

& the friendships you would lose once you abandon the Bills? I’m curious to find out the dollar value that would cause you to abandon team and friends.

I suppose if I lost a friendship over football, then it wasn't much a friendship, to begin with.

• Sad 2

The only thing that will make me find another team is if this one moves.

If we get PSLs and tickets go way up, maybe I'll end my season tickets and attend fewer games.  I'll still go tailgate with my #BillsFamily tho.

• Like (+1) 2